Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MaxPayne.html

Nigel 'ridd3r' Martin's New York Minute run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Audio & video: Fine, no problems.

Cheating: None found.

Consistency problems: Few, the improvements have been made after the rest of the run was finished. So the end time shown is different than the real end time. Runner does explain this in notes.

Improvement is significant and the run has high standards. I would definitely accept.

Quote:
Audio/Video: no issues here, all synced up just fine
Cheating: nothing fishy here

Awesome run. The super jump was definitely utilized in all the right places. In fact, there's maybe one spot where the super jump wasn't used, but being how hard it is to time it properly I'll let it go since it would only save maybe .5 seconds or so.

I still want to know where these mobsters went to hire their myriad of goons. It seems like they either weren't wearing the proper glasses or were just retarded. The funniest parts were watching Payne roll through a huge crowd sustaining little to no damage (I'm assuming he probably scraped a knee, which would be where the damage came from).

My personal fav part is definitely pro2. I'm not gonna spoil it, but make sure you have a towel handy to sop up the drool that WILL ooze from your gaping mouth.

Definitely an accept run here.

Quote:
The run is well done and I don't think there were any deaths. Video and audio are very good. Not much to say other than this is really fast and he uses very good strategies throughout the game. Also the jump glitch is just amazing, never knew about it but I like it a lot.

Accept!

Quote:
Verifier: watched the Max Payne run
Verifier: to keep it short, good run, great improvement, awesome tricks, loved it
Verifier: there's some stuff for nitpicking but it's mostly 'oh he could have saved 0.2 here I think'
Verifier: bigger mistakes are very scarce, if not nonexistent, and those smallish things are really rare too
Verifier: I have one possible qualm about p1c8, I think you could skip a flight of stairs by using the superjump trick and save a few seconds, but I'm not sure if that's possible, I would need to test it
Verifier: I'd be surprised if the runner missed that if it was possible, actually
Verifier: but even if that is possible (I have doubts about it), the run is great
Verifier: haven't noticed any foul play either
Verifier: so accept
Verifier: and on a personal note (don't include this in the verification thread), I like this run being a segmented one and not the silly IL table thing that was going on earlier
Verifier: Smiley

Decision: Accept

Reason: I'm not sure I could make up an excuse for rejecting this run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2009-09-29 07:06:38 pm
we have lift off
Will be good to see this run up and to show people the big skips. It is a lot more entertaining with the super jump, thats for sure.

As for possible improvements, I know of two. One on p1c8 which was a face palm moment when I found it (while planning the new SS run). Its outside, you can simply jump around the wall instead of going onto the ledges and going a long way round. This might save 1-2 seconds max. The thing about NYM though is that skips which you might think are quicker, actually aren't due to the impact of rolling. The other improvement is p1c9, you can jump in a different place but even that is debatable as I end up in a really good position, the way I do it, to take care of everyone so max 0.5s could be saved there. There is also p2c2 where you can go a different route with less super jumping but its a longer way round, it was timed as slower in my practise SS run so I don't think its faster.

Quote:
Verifier: I have one possible qualm about p1c8, I think you could skip a flight of stairs by using the superjump trick and save a few seconds, but I'm not sure if that's possible, I would need to test it

Of the 3 sets of stairs I encounter where I have to go up, the first is too high and remember the super jump is timed in real time whereas rolling is not so it can be quicker rolling up stairs.
The 2nd set of stairs have bars in the way and there are people blocking me so its quicker to just roll up.
Finally the set of stairs I go up after jumping on the back drop (right at the end); I have timed rolling up (which I do in the run) and doing another super jump, it turns out rolling is quickest.

Overall, if there were any significant improvements (several seconds) I would do them, even now, but if there are, I can't see them.

Also, before I forget:
Quote:
My personal fav part is definitely pro2. I'm not gonna spoil it, but make sure you have a towel handy to sop up the drool that WILL ooze from your gaping mouth.

Honestly, that was probably the easiest level for me, it definitely took the least attempts. I know a lot of people seem to have loads of trouble with the bloodlines but I really don't. I am including an outtakes clip with this run, the main feature of it includes 70 or so attempts at the start of p3c7 (during which I don't think I even get 1 successful attempt and thats just the start). Maybe that will provide some insight as to just how difficult all levels with super jumps are (or at least I found them to be). But hey, I'm glad you found it impressive Smiley
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Quote:
Verifier: and on a personal note (don't include this in the verification thread), I like this run being a segmented one and not the silly IL table thing that was going on earlier
Verifier: Smiley

lol
Invisible avatar
lol indeed ;).

ridd3r: alright, I'll take your word for the p1c8 thing. I meant the final set of stairs, by the way. Indeed I knew that rolling slows the timer down, however I would have thought the jump there would be helpful. Smiley

My favourites are mostly in the third part. Really impressive all around (though the bloodlines aren't super hard, indeed ;))

(late reply agogo)
we have lift off
Quote from dex:
lol indeed ;).

ridd3r: alright, I'll take your word for the p1c8 thing. I meant the final set of stairs, by the way. Indeed I knew that rolling slows the timer down, however I would have thought the jump there would be helpful. Smiley

My favourites are mostly in the third part. Really impressive all around (though the bloodlines aren't super hard, indeed ;))

(late reply agogo)

Well I did definitely time both routes, I think the super jump was about 0.1s slower as you only go up 1 flight as opposed to just rolling. There were a few places like that, NYM mode can be very strange. Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Not a Zelda 2 refrence
this game had so much rolling I thought I was watching a katamari video for a second. I liked the audio commentary.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
I've noticed that rolling is broken in every single Xbox game, no matter the genre. (yes, I played this on Xbox, sue me)