Segmented Dead on Arrival any%

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Part I, Prologue
glitch, glitch, glitch, superjump, glitch the normal max payne speedrun Smiley

Part I, Chapter 1
luck, saveglitch, walking through cutscenes and deadmanwalking activation

Part I, Chapter 2
not too interesting with DMW, but i can feel the pain when missing the last superjump.

Part I, Chapter 3
also not as cool as the old run(s), but very fast

Part I, Chapter 4
again the agony of missing the last superjump when you're not being able to save.

Part I, Chapter 5
as the comments say, many nice little timesaver and the end of DMW

Part I, Chapter 6
wow, nice windowjumps, and after that the glitch in the cutscene is really sick! I watched it 1/10 slower to actually being able to see whats happening.

crazy stuff, rolling, being ported back and than rolling into the endcutscene ... or somthing like that

Part I, Chapter 7
why should you play the game "normal", when you can play it in a cutscene, again great stuff

Part I, Chapter 8
more superjumps and bulletdodging

Part I, Chapter 9
even more superjumps and saveglitching Smiley

Part II, Prologue
fast rolling.

Part II, Chapter 1
insane "RAMBOing" in the bar

Part II, Chapter 2
unhitable max

Part II, Chapter 3
very well planed bossfight

Part II, Chapter 4
run for your life and kill some guys

Part II, Chapter 5
"One molotov to rule them all!" haha!

Part III, Prologue
just more rolling.

Part III, Chapter 1
dodge dodge dodge

Part III, Chapter 2
dodge dodge dodge part 2

Part III, Chapter 3
nothing too special

Part III, Chapter 4
very very very impressive. perfectly planned and executed "Running for the phone was like an escape out of the matrix." yeah! haha!

Part III, Chapter 5
straight forward ... at least for the viewer

Part III, Chapter 6
again very impressive!

Part III, Chapter 7
superjumps and gunfire

Part III, Chapter 8
the final of the game is so glitchy, but an insane well executed idea.

The Audio & Video is fine.
I couldn't find any cheats, edited videofiles or anything like this. Also no consistencyproblems.
Even though the DMW glitch isn't too interesting, the run as a whole is incredibly good. Maybe the best I've ever seen (apart from the Zelda OOT runs of

course Tongue ). It is well planned and you can see that Ridd3r put A LOT of effort into it. Definitely matches the SDA Standards.

Accept!

Quote:
Ridd3rs Max Payne runs make me Max Hard.

Quote:
Audio and video are good. There is no cheating that I saw. The run is well done and very entertaining, I'm sure it meets this site's standards.

Accept it

Quote:
Part I, Prologue
Fastest prologue I have ever seen. But I should say this about every section of this run.

Part I, Chapter 1
Thoroughly optimized, nice blind kill. Activating 'Dead Man Walking' (DMW) -glitch.

Part I, Chapter 2
Nice three consecutive superjumps sadly missing the next two yet nailing the last, ergo this is a keeper. The difficulty of the DMW-glitch is that you cannot save, so the challenge mainly is how to get as much superjumps as possible in the chapter (at the end of which it autosaves); getting the last one is obligatory, since it triggers the end of the level much faster than a normal jump.

Part I, Chapter 3
He makes it look so easy, double deagle head shot plus the boiler, very skilled.

Part I, Chapter 4
As with so much in this run, the difficulty of it lies in what you do not see. The superjump at the end can screw you over so many times, but now it is at the end of a level without saves (see the runner's comments).

Part I, Chapter 5
DMW-glitch deactivated by taking pain killers. The deactivation does not begin until the start of the next chapter.

Part I, Chapter 6
When I first saw the big superjumping-through-the-window skip, I could not believe my eyes. Very hard to execute, plus dealing with some randomness on top of that (again, see the comments).

Part I, Chapter 7
This level shows great optimization, exceptional shooting, a stunning boss fight, and the runner even exploits the game's way of dealing with time (the fast rolling). One of the run's best.

Part I, Chapter 8
The dreaded trap door superjump. Actually, the place we need to blame for the runner's decision to do this run (he got stuck in a single-segment attempt at this point). This part shows how it has to be done, but who can blame anyone for not getting past this madness 20 mins. into a single-segment Max Payne run... . And by the way, exceptional mastery of movement.

Part I, Chapter 9
Abusing the save glitch to kill the two guards. Has to wait out the next cut scene because the boss is invincible.

Part II, Prologue
The way he does the red lines just show you how much he has done it.

Part II, Chapter 1
Brilliant boss fight. The roll is indeed necessary for the boss not to kill you. Again, it looks easy until you realize this is done on DoA-difficulty without slow-mo...

Part II, Chapter 2
Not getting hit is very important on DoA, one hit is usually enough to loose 80% of your health (or indeed, all of it).

Part II, Chapter 3
Although the skip is being known for a long time, I still enjoy it. Through the water to the ship, awesome.

Part II, Chapter 4
Praying not to get hit: luck manipulation in Max Payne.

Part II, Chapter 5
The molotov throw. You can still go (I think) to ridd3r's stream to watch him attempting this throw, just to get an idea of the sheer madness of attempting it. Also, impressive sniper shooting and perfect execution.

Part III, Prologue
Not the most interesting segment, but great rolling and movement overall.

Part III, Chapter 1
This level features immaculate precision jumping, the runner shows he completely masters the movement in this game.

Part III, Chapter 2
As stated in te comments, what you do not see is how fast you can die on DoA, which makes luck manipulation essential to the run. Again, crazy jumping in a level with bullets flying everywhere.

Part III, Chapter 3
Not much to say about this, everything done as it should have been done.

Part III, Chapter 4
Possibly the most impressive level considering the timing it requires to go as fast as possible without getting struck by the death-lines (you have to wait in a couple of places for the car to go past you before advancing, otherwise you die instantly). Great strategy for the boss fight and huge luck in not getting hit (see the comments).

Part III, Chapter 5
The superjump up the balcony is very hard to land but it goes very well.

Part III, Chapter 6
Precise jumping yet again. Again a display of how the game gets destroyed. Although you cannot see anything happening, you have to manouver while being 'stuck' in a glitched cut-scene. Quote from the comments: "[I] drew the positions on my mouse mat" says it all.

Part III, Chapter 7
I just realize I said nothing about the skipping of the comic strips (which matters), but what can you say, it is hard to find a mistake in this run that does not sound ridiculous.

Part III, Chapter 8
Same feeling I described with the skip in P1C6. Totally transcending the paths the game wants the gamer to take.

Bonus level
Timing already stopped, the runner seeks a different challenge (see comments). Let us hope he will not rest for too long and continue his excellent work :-).

This runner does not measure in seconds but in frames. His pursuit of perfection cannot be satisfied, as he will even justify 0.5s save penalties in a 45min. speedrun. Completing the game without slow-mo is in itself an achievement, doing it as fast and elegant as ridd3r has done it is simply daunting. A lot of my verification was looking for proper words of praise and with reason. This run is in my opinion one of the best the site has to offer. It introduces new tricks and glitches on top of the already-discovered ones, which are abused to the max. The DMW-glitch proved to be - contrary to my expectations - very interesting since it added a new dynamic because of the save limitation it required. The video/audio quality is great and I did not find any evidence of cheating or inconsistencies (on top of this, ridd3r has an already outstanding record of Mac Payne runs on SDA).

Decision: Accept. And a big congratulations to ridd3r! Amazing work!

(edited to improve the lay-out)

Quote:
Fantastic run all and all. No cheating detected. Awesome work. I do wonder about the site's policy on editing loading and save times out of the video though. I personally am iffy about the fact that it seems like it would be difficult for the uninitiated to follow some of the glitches due to not seeing where the saves are done. This may or may not be an issue overall though, and none of the other verifiers seemed to mind it, so aside from that, I'd certainly say it is without question an accept. If nothing else I would personally like to see the saves left in, at least so it is visible when the quick saves are triggered to follow the glitches and the segments. So for me, the run is certainly an accept, but I would personally ask to see the runner to submit it without the editing, or with the saves left in and the load times edited out, depending on SDA's stance on this, since I have never seen a run edited like this on the site, but maybe that's just me.

This is allowed for PC games.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Nigel 'ridd3r.' Martin!
Thread title:  
procrastenating
Impressive work ridd3r! Congratulations!
we have lift off
Quote:
If nothing else I would personally like to see the saves left in, at least so it is visible when the quick saves are triggered to follow the glitches and the segments.

All of the saves are left in. I included the frame where the save comes up in all cases, so there is nothing missing or anything like that. Basically I cut out the stuff in between segments, but if you watch carefully it's clear where the saves are made. This is the clean version of the run and it makes it easy to time. I know what you mean about leaving in more, like in the NYM run, but this is a best real time run so I thought this was the neatest thing to do.

Also there are several PC runs which have stuff edited, the HL series most notably.

Anyway I'm glad you all enjoyed the run, the fact this has now been verified will force me to do audio commentary this weekend so I can get this in the posting queue.
procrastenating
Quote:
Anyway I'm glad you all enjoyed the run, the fact this has now been verified will force me to do audio commentary this weekend so I can get this in the posting queue.

Can't wait :-)