Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Individual Level]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Koci'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Individual Level]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/MaxPayne2-20230120/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
So 4 hundreths off looks like. I know not how this game works in terms of why the Speedrun.com listing doesn't seem to have an equivalent time to compare this against. Is this the world record as well?

Also are you planning on submitting more runs for this game in the future possibly? I'll give my opinions after you've answered these questions.
A/V looks good to me (and better than the currently hosted run).

Seeing this submission motivated me to play through this game (I played through MP1 a while ago and already had MP2 on the backlog). Good time, very cool game.

The police station level is pretty straight-forward with a few triggers and a forced waiting to get into the jail cell area (opens when Mona retruns from a line-up upstairs). There isn't that much gameplay that can be optimized to lower the time. I checked a few other speedrun and there doesn't appear to be any skips in this level. I did however notice that current top runs jump instead of run as that seems to slightly faster. See for example youtu.be/-IkDDrtmRQg?t=574[. Has that been tried?

Lotblind, there is a thread in the forum on src explaining which IL difficulty that is tracked and the reasons for it. From my understanding, it was a subjective decision to not track NYM IL runs.
Edit history:
Koci: 2023-01-26 03:06:16 pm
Koci: 2023-01-26 03:01:37 pm
There is a big difference between speedrun and New York minutes.
In speedrun it's only important to jump as much as you can while running and it doesn't matter how many kills you have and you're allowed to make a mistake because it's only important to finish the level in the shortest possible time.
As for the New York minute, I think it's much harder to pass the level in the shortest possible time because the player he has no right to make a mistake and has to do everything right and every kill has to hit. He also has to know when to stop time or jump (double jump) or kill to make the level successful, especially when chasing the record because every kill turns back time and it must not be mistaken.
Ok, thanks for the answer. But is it faster to jump than walk? In the section I linked to (moving through the jail cell area to talk to Mona), there are no enemies and you're not using the slow-mo feature. So it's not clear to me why this section would be approached differently in a "single segment speedrun based on real-time" than in a "NYM individual level speedrun"?
Edit history:
Koci: 2023-01-27 01:58:47 pm
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:23:08 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:18:05 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:17:39 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:09:33 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:09:12 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:08:06 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 07:05:46 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 04:33:58 am
Koci: 2023-01-27 04:29:37 am
At the moment when I go down through the cell to talk to Mona, I didn't use the jump because I didn't need it, it's more convenient when you come to the cell before talking to Mona.
jumps to the side I did (A+space) at my video minutes 1:24
The only part where i need a jump to do faster is the beginning of the level when max is using the computer.
If I was doing a classic speedrun, I would use space and running all the time and I wouldn't pay attention to how much time the cut scene takes and I wouldn't think about how I would have killed the opponent, because in a classic speedrun it is important to complete the level in as little time as possible and kills are not important .
It's true that you run faster when you use jump, but that's not always the case. For the police station level, it does not make sense to use a jump because it is a small cell and jump is not efficient.
But everyone has a choice and someone would use the jump there, but I decided that and I don't need the jump for this level except at the beginning of the level when I used the jump to get to the computer faster.
Edit history:
Koci: 2023-01-27 12:38:07 pm
Koci: 2023-01-27 12:35:54 pm
Koci: 2023-01-27 12:24:11 pm
I am upload new video for you in my runner info.
Video name:rekord 2.mp4
i just recorded this and i used a jump and the record is 1:26:90 and i think you will like this new clip now recorded more than the previous one
where the record was 1:29:89
And now i am upload my new record on youtube and you can watch on youtube my new speedrun:
Quote from ktwo:
Ok, thanks for the answer. But is it faster to jump than walk? In the section I linked to (moving through the jail cell area to talk to Mona), there are no enemies and you're not using the slow-mo feature. So it's not clear to me why this section would be approached differently in a "single segment speedrun based on real-time" than in a "NYM individual level speedrun"?
Congrats!

I personally think it looks great and the level of play is high. I still need to mention that you shouldn't feel that you have to rush an improvement to get done before the due date of this verification. If you would like to play around a bit more with the jumping or just give it some more attempts to push the time as low as you can, no problem. There is no hurry on our end. But if you think everything fell into place in this attempt and this is as optimized as you think you can do, then that's also fine.
Edit history:
Koci: 2023-01-28 11:14:21 am
Koci: 2023-01-28 11:14:08 am
Quote from ktwo:
Congrats!

I personally think it looks great and the level of play is high. I still need to mention that you shouldn't feel that you have to rush an improvement to get done before the due date of this verification. If you would like to play around a bit more with the jumping or just give it some more attempts to push the time as low as you can, no problem. There is no hurry on our end. But if you think everything fell into place in this attempt and this is as optimized as you think you can do, then that's also fine.

Thanks!
I think this time is great and I'm really happy
I just wanted to see if it was better with jumping and I see it was much better. I'm stopping here
I think this new video is much better and I'm happy with the timing Smiley
I feel compelled to say this: Whenever a runner comes along saying (implicitly) "hey this run here is worthy of publishing, it was super-tough to get blah blah blah" and then comes back a week later with "oh yeah so this simple known-about trick made the run another 3 seconds faster (that's ages in this context!)", it really erodes how much trust I can place in that runner to have actually done his research carefully. I mean finding the optimal movement techniques is as basic of a part of speedrunning as they get. Tongue Maybe you're very new to speedrunning? I still don't believe this is a game where you didn't have enough material to work with from other runners' runs to be able to sort out whether you needed more jumping or not.

I just want you to know this stuff affects whether some people here can be bothered to watch your future submissions.
Decision posted.