List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MaxPayne2.html

Thomas 'hitman' Mai's single-segment Dead on Arrival run

Quote:
Quality: good.  Cheating: none.

The quality of play in this run is about equal to or slightly less than the quality of the current run.  Not counting the new skips, most levels were done in about the same time.  One or two levels were slightly faster due to an additional roll off a box or something.  A couple levels seemed a little bit slower (one due in part to a failed double jump).  The new skips however saved enough time to make up for any mistakes, especially the skip in part 1 chapter 7 which saved about 45 seconds.  It looks like this run is about a minute faster overall than the current one.

Accept.

Quote:
Video and audio are fine with no sync problems. Appears to be SS on the hardest setting with no signs of cheating or inconsistencies.

I had the old run and this playing to compare times for certain section. Listed below are a list of most of the mistakes I noticed (recurring ones such as too much bullet time usage were not always stated).
WARNING: The following will seem very negative so just remember it is a list of all mistakes, I do not commend anything that was done well, I will leave overall impressions until the end.

00:32 Why dive? As shown in the previous run it is quicker to just shoot him in the head. At least a second or 2 lost for no reason I can see.
00:37 Jump wastes time.
01:55 I really don't see the point in using slow-mo here, its an unarmed guy with his back to you.
02:25 As at several points throughout the run slow-mo is engaged too early, even by a second at points like here which adds up.
04:38 Early slow-mo.
07:04 At this point he has lost out on 2 seconds compared with the old run for this level.
08:47 Another example of early slow-mo after a nice jumping section. I won't bother pointing out all instances of early slow-mo.
12:00 Bit of a slow fight here.
21:08 Around here there is way too much slow-mo used.
21:13 Don't know why he didn't just pummel that guy earlier, lost about 11 seconds I reckon.
22:13 This jumping section took him 17 seconds last time and here it takes 29 seconds so another 12 seconds lost due to a few mis-jumps.
23:26-23:59 OK this bit looks sloppy, compared with the previous run he is another 11 seconds slower. Consider also that this part of the old run is not perfect either with a few mistakes. Surely more like 15-20 seconds lost compared with a perfect run of this section.
24:41 By this point in this level he has lost at least 3 seconds due to some extra jumps he did by accident.
24:42 Surely a shotgun is not the best gun to use for these enemies? He even has to turn around and switch to another gun to finish one of the guys off.
25:13 This should really be avoided, the slow-mo reload animation takes 5 seconds in which you are not moving, performing a roll of seeking cover to reload should be done in normal time where possible (like here).
29:54 This fight went badly, about 3 seconds lost.
30:53 Bit of pointless slow-mo.
P3c1-p3c2: Like with a lot of the levels I would have liked to have seen more headshots, instead the runner seems to aim more for the upper body or neck which sometimes results in overly long battles.
40:02 Misses a jump, small mistake though 2 seconds lost.
40:33 Engages slow-mo 3 seconds before an enemy is in sight.
46:19 An example of a hell of a lot of body shooting, surely could save a couple of seconds if you got headshots.
46:48 I'm fairly sure if the runner had gone right up to the van and thrown the molotov he could have got all of them in 1 go. Failing that he would have been in a better position to deal with the 2 guys who survived more quickly.
48:20 Fair enough the runner felt that trying to jump up the stairs without turning off the electricity was too risky for a SS. If it could be mastered though a lot of time could be saved here. While the new NYM strategy for the stairs is hard the old NYM strategy of slow-mo diving may possibly be feasible.
50:06 I feel that shooting random people on the way is not very optimal as you aren't following the most direct route as you are turned, also runner tries to go through the wrong door (both very minor things though). Runner loses out on 2 seconds compared with the previous run of this level.
54:04 Loses a good 5 seconds here due to a bit of bad aiming.
55:32 Loses about 3 seconds due to having to reload when it should really have been done in the same clip.
p3c6-p3c8: I felt that parts of this could have been tighter, some excessive slow-mo and not following the most direct path in parts. Even looked like the runner did not know where they were going at times.

Overall I feel part 2 let the run down in places where significant portions of time were lost. The vast majority of the mistakes in this run look to be easily avoidable with a bit more time spent perfecting.
The previous run was good and this beats it by roughly a minute assuming the duration of the loading screens are the same. There is probably one and a half minutes of mistakes or more, all things considered. My problem is the mistakes are not the result of bad luck but are rather careless, also considering its not that long a run as it contains a lot of loading screens. I also sometimes got the impression that the runner was going for style over speed sometimes.
I felt that the gameplay was to a higher standard in the previous run, a lot of this run looked sketchy. However, the run is still enjoyable and the mistakes will probably go unnoticed to a point. I don't think a minutes improvement to this would be out of the question. Mostly its up to the runner, whether they agree and think another go would be worth it. Otherwise I guess accept as its a fairly significant improvement.

Quote:
Verifier: I finally got around to verify the Max Payne 2 run
Verifier: don't really have much to say about it since it was ages ago I last played the game
Verifier: it looks good overall, I guess

The last verifier said the run looked good. I can't remember much else because I'm too lazy to look through my logs, sorry.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement utilizing new shortcuts with roughly the same standard of gameplay.
Thread title: