List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Jeremy 'DK28' Doll's runs with every character

Verifier Responses

Quote:
First off, Kudos to the runner for bringing Fighting games into SDA, we really do need to add more to the site... anyway to the verification...

Today, the runner plays through Marvel Super Heroes with every single character... of course he does make good use of the cards he gets dealt and most of the fights shown are pretty good...  Of course you get one or two fights featured that are... questionable... but hey, that's how fighting games work, you can't be flawless all the time, but as the runner shows you can be near perfect (while getting perfects on almost every opponent...)  From what I can tell, the runner normally finishes each fight at 93 seconds on the clock, so if there are situations where if he didn't make the 93 second mark, I will be sure to mention it in some form or way in each character's description...

Blackheart-then took a hit by Hulk and two by Capt america (losing a bit of time on both fights, but not too much time...) Then there was the fight with Wolverine that slowed the runner down quite a bit, though understandble that it gets harder and Doctor Doom that kept blocking the attacks continously that slowed the runner down even more... The other fights to mention here, including the end fight with Thanos went flawless...

Captain America- Started off pretty bad with both  Hulk and Wolverine blocking alot of Capt's attack, but then picks it up from there delievering one patriotic beatdown after another, even able to violently dismantle Doctor doom, who only blocked one hit... but then the fight with Thanos slowed him down...

Doctor Doom- Really?  Spamming the firebeam attack is the best the runner can do?  Don't get me wrong, when it hits, it took a big chunk of the opponent's energy, but more times than not, the attack was either blocked, or dodged, and even if it does chip damage, it seems to be a waste to constantly do the same move... The only time I saw that work properly was when the runner was fighting Blackheart since he is too big of a target to not miss...  After the first two fights, the runner got his act together and starting to get alot more offensive, but at times it feels that Dr. Doom takes his time with his fights than the other characters...  Don't get me wrong, the fights were good, but I feel that the fights seen should have been done better, but it is good where it stands now...

Hulk- Hulk Smashed... enough said...  A bit of a slip up on Spiderman and psylocke blocking too much..... Although I do admit I was a bit suprised to find out how well the Hulk speaked...

Ironman-  The runner did not mess around when using Ironman...  Most fights ended at 94 seconds, if not 93...  Of course Doom and Thanos caused problems but doesn't stall the runner by much... If I didn't know any better, I would probably say that ironman would be one of the runner's main character he uses...

Juggernaut- ((I'm sure this joke will probably be said by every other verifier, but just in case...))  He's the Juggernaut bitch... No reason to go into any further details... Flawless throughout besides the minor slip up with magneto and how Thanos block all but the last juggernaut punch... 2 bad fights overall...

Magneto- The Runner's time fighting with magneto had its highs and lows... Some fights were great, other fights were bad (The bad start with spiderman, small technical problems with Thanos and how he lost the power gem to psylocke)...  Hmm... He hasn't been confirmed yet for MvC3 has he?  Anyway, could have been much worse if the runner wanted it too...

Psylocke- Wow... psylocke + power gem= 3x the beatdown, literally... Hulk did cause a small problem, but the rest got KOed fast from psylocke's triple team attack... *insert another Thanos doesn't cooperate quote here*

Shuma-Gorath-  I'm sorry, I can't take this character seriously... the design of this character is very questionable, but I'm not going to question what Robert Howard was thinking...  Not to mention that he was always one of those characters in MvC that you just don't really care about...  Anyway, the run itself isn't anything to special, the runner usually ended the fights at 92, but didn't had any problems until he fought Psylocke (I'm going to end the description there)

Spiderman- So spiderman clones himself when he uses the power gem those double teaming his opponents to death, thus most of the fights get finished rather quickly... Once again, Psylocke causes small problems not wanting to die fast, while the same could be said of Juggernaut and blackheart... As the runner mentioned in the notes, Spiderman sucks trying to be an effective attack against Thanos so I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at the start of the fight...  That said, wow was this bad... I mean, not only does it take long for Thanos to fall, but the runner almost lost...  Ok, going to end it there... still good time considering the character...

Wolverine- Wow, once the runner got the power gem,  he started ripping his opponents apart one after another...  Seeing this already started to make me worry since the runner warned us that Wolverine was just as bad as Spiderman against Thanos...  The only redeeming quality about this run against Thanos is that this is the only time we see a super attack in the run... So yea, it did take a while for the runner to finish him off...

Thanos-  After so much complaining as to how Thanos was the root of most problems with the run, it was interesting to see how the runner would approach the run with the main boss man himself...  It was interesting until we got to the part where the hulk dodges the runner's super attack BY JUMPING OVER IT!  I mean, Thanos's super attack is one of those moves that you normally can't dodge without some sort of fancy moanuver and yet the Hulk simply jumps over it like nothing... *sigh*  still a boss character is a boss character, over powered and don't take shit from no character, even though black heart did stall the runner a bit...

Overall verdict: If we were to look at the runs individually, I would say reject Dr Doom and accept the rest, but as a whole, the good does very well outweigh the bad so as a group I say accept...

To the runner, please reconsider Dr. Doom's run... I know it can be a bit better than what was submitted...

Quote:
Video and audio were great.
No cheating other than the AI being complete pushovers.
The time for each can be based on the in-game clock since it's accurate.

Marvel Super Heroes was a fighter i loved playing waaay back. Watching this run was pretty nostalgic. Almost all of the runs have this thing i'll call "The Pattern" going on: if the first 7 fights went well, Thanos will be a problem; and if the first 7 fights were a bit rough, Thanos will be shit. This balance of good and bad is one of those omnipotent forces that plague many speedruns Smiley

Blackheart - my favorite character in the game. First few fights were smooth. Had a slight delay with Hulk and Cap, then got rough with Wolvie. Doom, being a blocking pansy outlasted the Power gem's duration which sucked. Thanos went incredibly well though, so it covered up the previous delays a little bit.

Captain America - great fights overall. Spidey gets creamed but Wolvie decides to be a wuss and dodges/blocks alot. The runner ruins the canon of Marvel comics' Civil War by actually winning against Iron Man. >:) He also demolishes Doom though there was a bit of delay after the tech hit.

Dr. Doom - compared to the other characters the fights with Von Doom were a bit...slow. I think it would've been better to use the close range blast instead of the laser. The runner does this properly in the latter fights (Shuma Gorath for example) but he sticks to the laser in the first few battles which ended up being slower than the rest. After all those negatives though, Thanos fails to put up a fight.

Hulk - HULK SMASHU! He fights Captain Ragdoll and Spider-Meat, rapes Psylocke, obliterated Shuma Gorath and Doom. As the pattern goes, Thanos decided to be a schmuck and delayed the runner a little bit.

Iron Man - this is just insane. The runner essentially cruises through every fight. I know the game's on Normal difficulty but it's like Iron Man hacked the AI out of the game completely. (except Shuma Gorath, who doesn't have intelligence to begin with) It seems like the runner had a few accidents in Thanos where he used the beam attack (which was blocked) and air-throws but the rest of the speedy fights made up for the tiny delay.

Juggernaut - not the most enjoyable run out of the characters, as the runner almost exclusively makes use of only 2-3 attacks, but that's not the point. Juggernaut punches the ground all the way to Thanos without much problem. Because of that, Thanos decides to delay a bit by actually attacking the runner a couple times.

Magneto - i love how bad Magneto's voice is in this game. First few fights were a bit rough, and Psylocke was also (unfortunately) able to knock the Power gem out of the runner. The fights after that were flawless, though Thanos caused problems again.

Psylocke - sheer ownage thanks to the Power Gem's effect. But of course, like how the pattern goes, Thanos decides to screw the near-perfect run a little bit.

Shuma Gorath - ahh, the pimpin squid. The fights look very similar to Blackheart's because of the tentacle attacks. Psylocke became a problem for once, but the rest were great. Thanos went smoothly as well thanks to the pattern.

Spider-Man - Psylocke and Blackheart caused some delay by using their Time gems. Doom was so flawless it ain't funny. The pattern went balistic in this run though when Thanos actually puts the runner down to the Danger zone with only a few hits, thanks to spidey's sort of bad lifebar. It's one of the more exciting matches out of all the runs though so it's all good. Smiley

Thanos - this guy was always cheap with his large-ass attacks with impossibly huge damage...add a power gem into the mix and you've got cheesy fights. There is no pattern in this one: the final Thanos fight went smoothly as well.

Wolverine - no matter how popular wolvie is in the comics/movies, he's still a pipsqueak shorty in this game. The fights went smoothly, especially Spider-Man and Blackheart who were decimated in less than 5 seconds. Thanos was able to grab the runner and waste a second though, but he recovered from it with a well-placed Berserker Barrage X, the only super move in the entire set of runs.

Verdict: Accept for all, though i'm partial to the Dr. Doom run. I'm pretty sure the runner can do it MUCH faster, so i'm hoping he would improve that one in the near future. More fighters for SDA plz Cheesy

Quote:
AV is good and no cheating, except for playing on not the hardest difficulty =\

I used to love this game so much in the arcade and home systems alike. It is more of a 2 player game really so seeing a speedrun of it was weird, but nostalgic none the less. I was wondering why on earth the runner would have made a run for each character, but it quickly became clear. The runner exploits poor programming and uses a very simple yet effective attack pattern that works with basically every character, on almost every other character. To put it simply he created a template. I guess the game designer's were kinda lazy when developing the AI for this game. This makes it kinda like, if you have seen one fight you have seen them all. But in the runner's defense, if he did all the fancy combos, special moves, and tricks/glitches the run would have been much slower because they do less damage. I think our runner is more of a Billy Hoyle, than a Sidney Dean. He would rather look bad and win then look good and lose.

I do not want to take anything away from the runner, he did an excellent job planning the best way to do the most damage as fast as possible and executed his plan very well. It just so happens that the plan is pretty vanilla in terms of what is possible in this game. He gets lots of perfects and finished most opponents in mere seconds though so on that level it is pretty impressive.

Verdict: Accept, but please redo Dr. Doom, that was subpar compared to the rest of the characters and without good reason.

I told DK28 the results and he decided to redo Dr. Doom as a result.

Quote:
Dr. Doom (revised)- Now this is the run that we should have seen in the first place... Psylocke and Blackheart caused a few problems but as always, that is to be expected, but this was overall much better, especially a perfect match, dr. doom running very smoothly and the fight against Thanos went off in probably the best way possible, the runner deserves mass kudos for listening to the verifiers, going back and improving the run greatly for Dr doom...

Updated verdict: just copy and paste what I said previously, but to just update the last part...  All the runs were great to watch, and hopefully this will inspire more Fighting game speed runs...  Granted I can't think of many fighting games to speed run at the moment, but hey, that is a discussion to have later on...

Accept all runs (as said before) and the Dr. Doom run...

Quote:
that's more like it. Nothing to say on the new Dr. Doom run except that it's infinitely better than the original one. It's very aggressive and an easy accept. Smiley

Quote:
Um, yeah. That was one of the better runs submitted by the runner. Great redo if I have ever seen one. Easy accept. I vote to accept all characters now.

Decision: Accept

Reason: More fighting game runs for the people who want them.
Thread title:  
Waiting hurts my soul...
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one go up.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Thank you verifiers and thank you Zenic, me too.  Wink

Some feedback:
My initial run with Doom was to take advantage of the whorish amount of damage the laser does, but all's well that ends well. 
Verifier #1 - You're pretty spot on.  The game blocks, a lot.  Doom seemed to be the worst overall.  Although, every time I'd switch to a new character it seemed somebody else would become a problem.  And I actually don't have a main in MSH.  I played it so much I just use whoever comes up in the rotation.  Smiley
Verifier #2 - Juggernaut is basically run with nothing but the Fierce Punch button.  Wolverine was slighted in this game, except when the power gem is activated.  And I was thinking about maybe doing SF2, maybe.
Verifier #3 - You're exactly right.  Mike and I had a brief PM talk about the bad damage scaling in this game with bigger combos.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll do audio commentary as that will be a lot of work.  I may do it for certain characters, or all of them, if people request it.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
I'd say do all but I think that would have you run out of things to say too fast. Instead do it on characters you enjoyed playing as and include info on the non-commentary runs in them. This way you don't struggle on what to say, you can mention playing as the character in the run chosen and what it was like, and for the ones you didn't like, mention some comments on their runs as well as why you didn't choose to do the commentary for their videos. Plus it cuts down on time to do the audio commentary.
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Hello, Verifier #1 here...

Once again, Congrats on another job well done... As I said before, its great to see something new coming soon to SDA (fighting games)  I'm sure there have been more, but no doubt that this could respark interest, (especially a possible update once marvel vs capcom 3 is released...)

I can also understand that you don't have a specific main character (especially since these type of games lets you play with more than one) but your play style with ironman was probably the best one of all the heroes...  As for commentary, I would probably suggest your favorite characters since most of what you could say would be very straight forward (what are you going to say for the Juggernaut, "I Fierce Punch here... and here... well that is all I did..."?)

Congrats once again... Smiley
Thank you for the suggestions, I may just do a few. Either my favorites, or the runs that are diverse enough to warrant more than just "Fierce punch all day".  thumbsup
I had a bunch of free time this weekend and thought "What the hell".  So I did commentary for all 12 runs.  Since they're shorter runs, It's more of a running commentary with 12 parts that have highlights for each individual character.  If they're posted on the game page from shortest to longest it will flow together.  If not, no biggie, only a couple things will be out of order.
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2012-01-02 11:15:39 pm
ZenicReverie: 2012-01-02 10:54:53 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
I don't see it mentioned anywhere, so forgive me if it's already known. I found while examining and comparing the runs to each other that using a power gem, while stopping the match timer, won't stop the in-game timer used in the results displayed at the end of the game. It seems to be about 2 seconds per gem. I don't have the game, so I can't test, but it could also include supers as well.

Example: Shuma Gorath vs. Hulk ends at 92, and it now says best time is 9"62 (not really sure how since that'd make the starting time 101 , maybe it actually counts lag frames as well?) and Wolverine ends at 93, but the best time still reads as 9"62. Maybe I'm just missing something though...
Edit history:
DK28: 2012-01-06 09:43:50 pm
That's a great point Zenic.  On one hand, that would explain a lot, although I believe it is still faster if the Power Gem is used effectively.  But on the other hand, it also explains the issue I had with Captain America.  Good catch.

Edit: That actually seems to happen all the time.  I'm wondering if the in-game counter starts right away when you have control since can move before "Fight".