List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Kevin 'neskamikaze' LaLonde's 100% mini-game island run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This appears to be an 100% run as he clears ALL of the mini-games (didn't read the player's comments until now; I agree this is an 100 run).

IDK why but I didn't know you could swing on the vine in Piranha's Pursuit (probably never noticed it before).

LOL at his comment on beating the 2P Handcar Havoc time.

Bowl Over - YOU CALL THAT A STRIKE?!  Just kidding but lol at knocking all 3 of them out.

Accept - Fun with Mario and Co. (albeit mostly with Luigi here)

Quote:
Video and audio quality are fine
There are no signs of cheating

The run is very good, and all segments are great. I don't think there's much else to say...

I wouldn't fancy my chances at a game against him  Tongue

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Excellent.

Quality (Gameplay)
Segment 1
- Chooses Luigi as his main character, who is clearly the best choice.
- For Coin Block Blitz, the opponents group themselves at the bottom, allowing him to get the blocks with more coins and not having to fight anyone off.
- Coin Block Bash goes great, save for one missed hammer swing.
- Coin Flower Shower has one missed coin too, but the rest fall into place for him.
- You know, it’s Paddle Battle that caused me to completely fuck the palm of my hand up as a kid. Who knew the key was slow and steady rotations instead of rolling it like a madman until the skin ripped off?

Segment 2
- It must have been tough to have Memory Match turn out like that, but it’s obviously worth it.
- Ground Pound (this mini-game involves getting a foot wide spike up the ass if you get the wrong one and that’s the best name they could think of for it?) gives him a nice set of posts too.
- For Shy Guy Says, I think it’s possible to get the others killed off a bit faster, but that’s a luck thing.

Segment 3
- Bumper Balls looked really good.
- I forgot just how retarded the AI in this game can be when it wants to. Treasure Divers gives a good example of the others just swimming around and even on the ground when all they need to do is return to the surface. It almost costs the runner the segment, because DK has the last treasure chest and can’t figure out what to do with it. Fortunately, he makes it up to the surface eventually.
- Deep Sea Divers is another one of those treasure chest hunting missions that DK actually does better in, which is good for the runner.
- Hell yeah, Mushroom Mix-Up! The runner cock-blocks Peach right away. Wario gets the same treatment later, and Yoshi loses a cockfight. I wonder of the other could have been done away with faster though.
- Fun fact: It was completely impossible to knock someone off the rope in Tightrope Treachery. The runner still gets hit three times though.

Segment 4
- Doing Desert Dash is nowhere near as easy with two people. It’s nice to only have to do it with one input and have the computer partner automatically step along. Nothing major to say about this segment obviously.

Segment 5
- The runner didn’t break his records for Bobsled Run or Handcar Havoc: run rejected.
- Nah, I’m just screwing around. Ghost Guess was a pretty good part.

Segment 6
- Bombsketball is completed lightning quick.

Segment 7
- Slot Machine is manipulated perfectly.
- Bowl Over sees all three of them knocked down with one shell.
- Mario Party had the Guitar Hero concept first with Mario Bandstand! Lawsuits need to be launched!

Segment 8
- I wonder how many times his partners blew Running of the Bulb on him?
- A lot of bag grabbing goes on between Wario and Luigi. DK humorously chases Yoshi around in a circle for about 30 seconds straight.
- Nintendo’s secret inflation fetish comes into the light with Balloon Burst. I didn’t notice it as a kid, but I sure as hell do now. Anyway, the runner pumps up Bowser quite a bit faster than I though possible.
- Judging by the runner’s score for Face-Lift, I think he’s done this a few times before.

Segment 9
- Since he only needs a few coins to complete Hammer Drop, he suicides after getting the first coin bag (on the first drop too).
- Not much else to say, except that I find it really funny that Toad challenges Luigi to a race at the ned and gets his ass handed to him… by the computer players.

Timing
The timesheet should be in your mailbox in a minute or two.

Importance
I believe there are some spots that can be improved upon, but it’s mostly by luck factors that I’m looking at. In a game with three other computer characters that behave so weirdly, what we see here might be good enough. Otherwise, this is surprisingly optimized and I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t be accepted.

Decision: Accept

Accept: I can't believe I'm accepting a Mario Party run.
Thread title:  
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from mikwuyma:

It's one of the last games I ever expected to see here too.
Edit history:
neskamikaze: 2009-09-01 10:57:38 pm
Quote from TheQuietMan:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Haha, this has always been one of my all-time favorite games, so when I saw it in the request thread I knew I had to do it. Now no one will play me anymore because I'm too good at the mini-games... oh well  Tongue

On Mushroom Mix-Up, I've never been able to clear it in less than 5 colors, and I did it in 6 here. If you try to ground pound somebody on any color other than black (because it's in the middle) you seem to go flying straight into the water, no matter what side of the computer you hit or where you are. Maybe it's just bad luck, but it happens every time to me. I think I said this in my comments, that with good luck, you can knock out the last two on the same color and save a Blooper animation, or get two out on the first.

Anyways, much thanks for the acceptance, and looking forward to contributing more to SDA in the future!

Edit: In playing after the writing of the comments, I found that the majority of the braking in Handcar Havoc came from the CPU and not my horrid button mashing. I'm pretty sure I still ended up hitting B a couple of times though.
Quote from TheQuietMan:
Quote from mikwuyma:

you know what though ... i think it's good to see runs like this go up on SDA.  Genre variety is cool ... now we just need to get a sports speedrun up here, so let's get going on verifying my Tiger Woods run Tongue

congrats by the way on this speedrun getting accepted ... very nice
Quote from UCpro:

you know what though ... i think it's good to see runs like this go up on SDA.  Genre variety is cool ... now we just need to get a sports speedrun up here, so let's get going on verifying my Tiger Woods run Tongue

congrats by the way on this speedrun getting accepted ... very nice

Thanks a bunch, and if I had ever played Tiger Woods I would gladly verify it.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Congrats on the run neskamikaze.  Definitely unique, would this be considered puzzle genre?

Quote from UCpro:

What about Super Dodge Ball?  Wink
Well Mario Party 2 has a Mini-Game Coaster, similar to Mini-Game Island. I don't own the game as of present, but I know it pretty well and am planning to get it soon, so you may see it in the future too  Grin
Quote from DK28:
Congrats on the run neskamikaze.  Definitely unique, would this be considered puzzle genre?

Quote from UCpro:

What about Super Dodge Ball?  Wink

oh, i didn't even realize that ... lol.  good job with that ... lol.  i guess i'll go for the second sports game on sda Smiley
Oooo! Mario Party. Definitely one I would'nt expect a speedrun of. I can't wait to see it
Quote from agumike:
Oooo! Mario Party. Definitely one I would'nt expect a speedrun of. I can't wait to see it

If you really can't wait I have it on Youtube in the meantime.
In the infinite
I watched it a while ago on youtube, it looked awesome. Great Job! I always loved the skateboarding levels. Smiley
Quote from Mr. Piggy:
I watched it a while ago on youtube, it looked awesome. Great Job! I always loved the skateboarding levels. Smiley

Ugh, the Skateboard Scamper is awful. If you try to win properly (which I used to do for a very long time) it's completely random who wins if the players are good enough (i.e. Mini-Game Island computers). The trick I use is to fall behind near the end and use the natural comeback pull to get ahead at the last second and I can win nearly every time.
Quote from neskamikaze:
Quote from agumike:

Oh thank you.

Skateboard Skamper, really? I will remember that

And I hope your palm is okay from all of those joystick rotations
Edit history:
neskamikaze: 2009-09-07 09:49:12 pm
Quote from agumike:
Quote from neskamikaze:
Quote from agumike:

Oh thank you.

Skateboard Skamper, really? I will remember that

And I hope your palm is okay from all of those joystick rotations

I'm lucky to say that before I started this run I was already very good at the "rotate the control stick" mini-games. Tug of War wasn't a problem, because that segment took less than 10 attempts. Pedal Power, however, since it has two tricky games after it in Tipsy Tourney and Bombsketball, took a sever number on my hand. I had a little bit of blood on the control stick by the time I was done with that segment.

Moral of the story: don't play rotate the control stick games more than 30 times in one sitting. It's bad for you.

Edit: I was wondering about the timesheet one of the verifiers said. Maybe I don't know what mailbox they are talking about but I didn't get any timesheet. Can anyone clarify if I'm being stupid or if it didn't get to me?
Exoray
Quote from neskamikaze:

Edit: I was wondering about the timesheet one of the verifiers said. Maybe I don't know what mailbox they are talking about but I didn't get any timesheet. Can anyone clarify if I'm being stupid or if it didn't get to me?

It looks like that part was directed to mike and not you so you need not worry.
Quote from moooh:
Quote from neskamikaze:

It looks like that part was directed to mike and not you so you need not worry.

Oh ok, that makes sense.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
What moooh said is correct. The purpose of the timesheet is to help me time the run.
Alright, now that you say it it seems obvious, but when I first saw that I went to my email and my messages here and was very confused. Now I feel dumb.
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
Isn't this kind of like having a run for Wario Ware? I recall many of the games in Mario Party just have a countdown timer.

a Mini-Game Island is acceptable though, it entails doing well on a series of minigames even if they are all countdown timers. Single Segment next? Now we see who has the impenetrable palm >_>
It's different, as all the mini-games are in direct succession of each other, unlike the randomized selection in Wario Ware.
Quote from ShinerCCC:
Isn't this kind of like having a run for Wario Ware? I recall many of the games in Mario Party just have a countdown timer.

a Mini-Game Island is acceptable though, it entails doing well on a series of minigames even if they are all countdown timers. Single Segment next? Now we see who has the impenetrable palm >_>

There's enough games without the countdown timer to make it speedrunable (I guess that's the word I would use). However, you will see the effects of the set timer on games like Cast Aways and Grab Bag where I basically just sit around and wait for the time to run out.

Single segment would be ridiculous. Memory Match, Bumper Balls, Treasure Divers, Buried Treasure, Box Mountain Mayhem, Bowl Over, and Hammer Drop all need severe amounts of luck to get good times, which is why almost all of these games are at the start of segments. Hammer Drop took forever to find the pattern to give me the time I got.

What's likely next is #2 if I can get a hold of it. It has the Mini-Game Coaster which works very similarly to the Island. Or my Dr. Mario run if I get around to getting one recorded.
On Mushroom Mix-Up, I've never been able to clear it in less than 5 colors, and I did it in 6 here. If you try to ground pound somebody on any color other than black (because it's in the middle) you seem to go flying straight into the water, no matter what side of the computer you hit or where you are. Maybe it's just bad luck, but it happens every time to me. I think I said this in my comments, that with good luck, you can knock out the last two on the same color and save a Blooper animation, or get two out on the first.