List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Gnat Attack run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Level 1- During the first boss fight, Smiley gets tagged twice...  The first could have been avoided, so that wasted time, the 2nd though was fine as Smiley couldn't have been able to tag the boss either at the time...

Level 2- Once again during the boss run, Smiley got tagged twice, and this time, it was after the boss got out of the stun state so that wasted a few seconds, though this was still well done...

Level 3, the execution of the flies was great up to this point, but here the runner struggled a bit as Smiley was tagged twice by regular enemies and had some trouble tagging some of the flies...  During the boss, Smiley gets tagged twice yet again, but like the first level, one tag was when the boss couldn't have been hit so it was fine...

Overall, it was just as Smiley said, This can be improved...

HOWEVER!

Gnat Attack is basically like playing bullet hell with a mouse, and for Smiley to be hit as few times as she did, not to mention there weren't many moments (besides one) where the runner struggled to hit the flies...

So is it great? no...
But is it above average?  Certainly...  After all, if Andrew G believes that this is a great run, the certainly this has to be a great run right?

I'll leave that question up to the rest of the verifiers, but for myself, I will say this will be a weak accept for while there were a few slip ups, it is still a well executed run...

Quote:
Hey Flip,

So here's my Mario Paint Gnat Attack comments:

A/V quality: Fine
Cheating: None

Timing begins when the fly swatter appears : 4.37 seconds
Timing ends at last swat: 4:28:702
Total: 4:24:32
Timing comes out to 4 minutes and 24 seconds

Let me first say that this game is a bit more difficult than it looks and the way that the runner handles most of this game is pretty impressive.  It's tougher than it looks, especially if you haven't played the game before.

So I have one criticism of the route planning and that's the runner pauses to collect every single extra hand the game offers.  I assume it's because the runner wants to be a bit more aggressive during the bosses.  I did some testing.

Dodging boss projectiles from a distance and then attacking takes 67 frames
Getting hit by a projectile takes 72 frames,  It costs more time if we account for needing to get an extra hand.

That means that it's actually faster to avoid getting hit, even if you have to move completely off the screen to dodge the attack.  The animation when you get hit is so long that taking damage on purpose and staying close to the boss doesn't really save time.  Where this affects the run is that basically means that the strategy should be changed to dodging the boss attacks rather than getting extra hands and blitzing the boss.  I can understand doing it on the stage 3 boss of how frequently it attacks.

Level 1-
The stage looked pretty good
There was a rough dodge on the boss, but everyting else went well.  I like how the runner follows the boss during its "rocket" attack and gets in a few more hits, that's not easy to do.

Level 2
Got hit during the rocket move on the boss, but other than that the stage went pretty well.

Level 3
The execution suffers a bit on this stage.  Trouble with that one gnat cost a few seconds.  The runner also takes the first hits in stage here.  The boss fight went well enough.  I don't know why you get an extra hand on the boss fight when you've got 4 in reserve.

Decision: Meh.  That or the weakest possible reject. 
Reason: That's not to say that I didn't like the run a lot, it's just that I think the runner can pull out a few more seconds for this one.  When a run is this short, I think it's fair to expect it to be pretty tightly optimized.  The execution mistakes are forgivable because this game is pretty tough to do that fast, but I don't think the planning is.  I really want to see another version of this run that isn't always going for the extra hands.  Maybe one of the other verifiers will have a stronger opinion on this one and overrule mine.  It was a great first attempt and I can't wait to see if the time can be brought lower.
P.S. Intro was a nice touch and I demand it be included in any future submissions.

Quote:
After watching this run i have to say, cheating=no, video=good, audio=good.

There seems to be a little bit of slow down at stage 2 and it goes even slower at stage 3 (missing a lot of hits) but after re watching this video a few times i can definitely say that it was a good job overall but still...

This a very week accept.

Quote:
Overall, I say that the run is pretty good.  Unfortunately, to me, this is like a 5:30 run in SMB1.  Good in its own right, but not good enough.

The general gameplay is good.  The boss fights to me are the biggest issue, especially like the first one.  During the bosses' circular attack, she sits back far away, waiting for the attack to go off.  While the time this takes is pretty minimal on the 3rd boss, the first bosses' attack is really slow and you could easily get another attack in, quick move out of the way, then get back in there and start attacking sooner.  Either that, or given how many lives are left at the end, take the hit.

I'm gonna reject this, but it's a weak rejection.  It's close.  If this was a longer run, maybe the mistakes wouldn't be so big or noticeable.  But given that this game/run is short, it's a little different story.

Now excuse me, I've got an annoying little fly to swat.  *grabs a flyswatter*

Decision: Reject

Reason: This is a very very close call, but I think there's enough improvements that have been pointed out to merit a reject until we get a few more seconds shaved off and fewer unintentional deaths.

This run will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
andrewg: 2012-02-27 08:05:52 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Aww, too bad. However, I understand why the choice of rejection.

The only thing is that the time itself is actually above average mainly because of the luck on the boss fights. Hits taken during the boss fights were essentially insignificant because it costs roughly the same time to dodge his attack.

It's just interesting because, I think she can do better, but may not actually end up with a better time due to the luck factors - it's an interesting case. At least, I think the luck on the bosses was definitely significantly better than her previous attempts I witnessed.

I'm sure she can do better though. Smiley