Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Jose 'UchihaSasuke' Karica's SS normal difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Alright let’s dive right into it.

I don’t see any form of cheating and I don’t see issues with video quality.

Luigi Circuit:
Good luck manipulation with the mushroom on lap 1. Good race.

Shy Guy Beach:
Good race here too.

Mario Raceway:
The runner paused the game for a few seconds, I’m not sure what is SDA’s ruling on this. In my opinion, it looks a little bad. There was a little bad luck with items here. If I had one major criticism it would be that the runner did not utilize the big pipe to get a boost on all three laps saving a precious seconds.

Mario Circuit 3:
This was a pretty tight race overall. Small mistake at the end of lap 1 costing a few seconds but the general racing strategy was solid.

DK Mountain:
After watching lap 1 I though the runner’s strategy was a bit off going down the hill after the tunnel but I realized on lap 2 that it was actually a mistake by the runner to go on the second ramp. It’s a small mistake costing a second or so.

Maple Treeway:
I’m a little surprised the runner didn’t anticipate the caterpillar on lap 2 because, from memory, I believe their movements are not random. Regardless, it added a few seconds on the clock.

Peach Gardens:
I believe it is slightly faster if one zig-zag’s in between all of the hedges rather than every two or three like the runner did. But we’re talking hundredths of a second

Moonview Highway:
Lap 1 and 2 are very good. Lap 3 not so much. I understand that item can be a real nuisance but besides that, the runner made some mistakes costing 4 or 5 seconds. Not the best race ever but nothing to reject a run for in my opinion.

GCN Mario Circuit:
Hmmm. This level looks a bad but I don’t see many things the runner can be blamed for.

Dry Dry Ruins:
I believe it’s faster to jump over the first big right turn instead of going around it however I’m not sure if it’s possible with that bike. I’m not sure why the runner did a trick on the second lap going out of the cave/tunnel but it was unnecessary and a little time waster.

Bowser Castle 3:
It seems the runner didn’t opt for the shortcut on this track. I believe it saves between 5 to 10 seconds per lap.  It's a very tough one to pull off consistently so I suppose already being 25 minutes into the run would be up to the runner’s risk management. On lap 3 the runner paused the game, seemingly because of a mistake he made. Again I don’t know what’s SDA’s ruling on this but I think it looks bad.

Coconut Mall:
The runner paused the game again on the Wii home menu before starting the race. There was some bad luck on lap 3 but nothing too major.

Yoshi Falls:
Fantastic race.

Sherbet Land:
A few ugly mistakes here hitting a walls a few times. It probably could be 10 seconds faster. The rest is item based but I didn’t like this race too much.

Mushroom Gorge:
Throughout this whole run, the runner seemed very adamant on "using" items such as bananas, shells and fake item boxes rather than keeping them for protection. So far there was never a problem but on this track, it seems to have caught up to him. For example, the runner left items on the very last corner of lap 2 and then he had to make a pretty wide turn on lap 3 in order to avoid those very items. That’s a major part why I don’t agree with “using” items in a speedrun setting for this game. Perhaps the runner is little too used to playing Wifi and used them out of habbit? No matter how small, it’s time lost unnecessarily.

Daisy Circuit:
Enemy items got him pretty good in this race. He couldn’t do much about it though.

Mario Circuit:
Again with this items usage! On lap 2 (timer at 1:52) the runner seemed too focused on using every item he was able to get that he took the corner pretty wide. He could have gone on the inside of that first goomba. Precious hundreths of seconds!

Moo Moo Meadows:
Excellent race.

Bowser’s Castle:
I with the runner had succeeded cutting the final corner over the curb on lap 1. He lost a few seconds there.

Rainbow Road:
Ouch. Very ugly mistake on lap 1 falling off like that. One of the worst mistakes by far so far.

Ghost Valley 2:
Good race.

Toad’s Factory:
Good race here too. I don’t want to be excessively picky, but there’s an issue with items again. Lap 3, first corner. Why take a wide turn to go for the item box if you already have an item for protection? In the tunnel between the two sets of moving walkways, the runner opted to take a wide turn to go for the items on all three laps. I know their tempting but it’s a little bit of time lost needlessly every time.

Waluigi Stadium:
Excellent race.

Koopa Cape:
Good race but same story with the items. Why take time to go for the item at 1:25 if you’re just going to throw it away (1:53)? I guess it’s debatable because he didn’t have any items in stock at that time but I still feel like going out of your way for items every time you don’t have one is slower than taking the fastest path and taking the chance on being vulnerable to enemy items... especially on the last two laps.

Grumble Vulcano:
I would have really liked to see the runner try the shortcut here around the rock on the left of the finish line. The track can be beaten in less than 30 seconds if everything goes right. I’m exaggerating a bit here but all you have to do if jump up on the rock and go around it until all three laps register. I can’t see that it would take someone more than 90 seconds if you know how to do it properly and the runner finished in 2:07. I could understand that, being this late in the run, it would be a gamble to try it but I still think it’s a good gamble to take for the sake of being hosted on SDA.

Desert Hills:
Pretty good race.

Bowser’s Castle:
Excellent race.

DK Summit:
Good race.

DK’s Jungle Parkway:
Good race.

Peach Beach:
Small mistake on lap 1 costing a few seconds.

Delfino Square:
Another good race here.

Wario’s Goldmine:
This course was rough. There is a pretty bad mistake coming out of the tunnel on lap 1 by falling off. That should not have happened at all. Two more mistakes costing some time entering the small tunnel, the second one is arguably not the runner’s fault. There are up to 15-20 seconds worth of mistake on this course. That’s a lot in my opinion.

Overall, the run is relatively tight. It’s a Mario Kart game and a very frantic one at that so I’m pretty forgiving on luck-based things such as blue shells, lightning, etc. You really get a feeling that the runner took the time to get the first bunch of levels on his side in terms of luck-based issues. He also went on a very good-luck streak on the last bunch of races having almost no enemy encounters. That's remarkable for this game.

To my knowledge, the runner has utilized all the fastest basic strategies in each level except Grumble Vulcano. His racing is consistent and strong. However, Mario Kart being a game that is competed at by many players, I cannot guarantee this run would stand the test of time. In fact, I think the runner himself could probably get the run down by at least a good 90 seconds (probably more). On the other hand, this is clearly a valiant effort by a talented player. Is it flawless? No and far from it. But this is Mario Kart and, in my opinion, this run sets the bar pretty high.

Verdict: I’m torn up because I really do feel like the runner could beat this again. Some mistakes are almost inexcusable (he fell three times, two being blatant mistakes) but so many races went incredibly well (surprisingly well for Mario Kart Wii) that I feel that the time gained (or "not lost", due to crazy enemy activity in this game) in these levels almost accounts for something. On the other hand, it’s a lot better than the Super Mario Kart run that was accepted a little while back and it could also potentially generate more interest for future runners. I'm leaning towards accepting it but since this is my first verification and that I feel that this run is "on the fence" I would like you, Mike, to watch run while considering the things I have highlighted above and see if some things are sub-standard for SDA or not. I am personally having a hard time making this run clearly fall on either side of the fence.

Thank you for considering me as a verifier.

Quote:
Ok, here's my verification review for Mario Kart Wii, everything past this line:

K, so this is the Japanese version. I can read it, all the options are set properly for the goal of the run. VS mode, individual matches, 150cc, normal mode, COMs use all vehicals, course is random, items on recommended. Set to 32 races so all will be covered, since it doesn't repeat when you pick random.

Luigi Circuit:
In the middle of the last lap, you go offroad for a moment, slowing you down. For the first level of a SS run on a game that's mostly not luck-based I would've restarted, even considering you got a mushroom, but it barely made a difference, maybe a half second. Rest is done perfectly, it's a simple level.

GBA Shy Guy Beach: (I gotta remember what the name differences are from the Japanese and English... Japanese is Hey-Ho Beach)
Getting hit by the bomb on the last lap was something that could've been avoided, possibly. But it barely cost any time, once again. Otherwise pretty much perfect.

Mario Circuit: 4:25
I can't really find any source about if pausing during a SS run and cutting out the time in-between unpausing (because the screen clearly jumps) is allowed, I'll assume it is for now. There's clearly no cheating because the timer, position, and items stay the same.
You didn't use the button mashing code to limit how much of a slow down you'd get from the pow-block.
But since you got hit by a blue shell immediately afterwards, it doesn't really make any time difference.
Getting hit by a higher-than-normal amount of items is made up for by somehow finding a star on the field.

Super Nintendo (Famicom) Mario Circuit 3:
A couple hitting pipes and going offroad, but it's basically perfect. No major time is lost.
Good luck with finding a mushroom on the field.

GC DK Mountain:
Basically perfect with a couple tiny mistakes, like hitting the wall when hit by the pow-block.
Also, you do the slower route with going over the jumps a couple times. Shortcut's always done correctly.

Maple Treeway (Tree house):
You crash into a wiggle worm, but not much time lost. Time made up with finding mushrooms.
The right route's taken.

DS Peach Gardens:
Besides hitting a couple bushes, perfect.

Moonview Highway (Moonridge & Highway):
Getting hit by a car WHILE lightning'd wasn't good, there was no reason to attempt a jump with a car right in front of you, but it doesn't lose a significant amount of time. The rest is great.

GC Mario Circuit:
You should be able to avoid getting hit by the Pirhana plant in lap 1, and then getting hit by a shell drops you into not-first for the first time in the run. But it was mostly bad luck which happens in this game with the blue shells, seeing as the only item you can avoid them with is mushrooms which you can't get if you're in first place. Should've avoided hitting the banana peels... really. And you go offroad a couple times.
This could've been done better but most of it was luck where things were placed/timed.

Dry Dry Ruins (Karakara Iseki):
You do pretty well with the jump in the room where you need to immediately make a 90 degree turn.
I guess luck of getting the mushroom was balanced off by hitting the shell.

GBA Bowser's Castle 3 (Koopa Castle 3):
You hit a Thwomp, but you had a pow block anyway so no real time lost there. Missed a mushroom, though I doubt the timing would've saved you from the blue shell.
Shouldn't have hit the banana peel, missed/hit the rump right after. Another pause/time lapse.
Overall nothing major happened bad.

Coconut Mall:
You do a Wii-menu type pause, which is I guess because you can't pause normally in the starting sequence.
You hit a wall before being hit by a blue shell, is there some advantage to stopping before being hit by one,
or are these all just coincidence you make a seeming mistake and stop begore getting hti? There's none I know of.
The rest is done really well.

Yoshi Falls:
Perfect besides hitting one banana peel, which was hard to avoid.

64 Sherbert Land:
Bad luck with getting hit by a shell right after losing your banana peels to lightning, but that's not too unlikely. Great, really, only hit a few walls.

Mushroom Canyon (Kinoko Canyon):
Done perfectly besides hitting a couple walls.
You got really lucky the blue shell didn't hit you over a pit...

Daisy Circuit:
Should've avoided the banana peel, which in turn would've kept your shell to block the red one.
Plus bad luck with all the blue shells, though generally good and otherwise error free. I'm fairly sure the
traffic cones don't slow you down at all.

Mario Circuit:
Perfect, as far as I can tell.

Moo Moo Meadows (Moo Moo Country):
Pretty much flawless.

64 Bowser's Castle (Koopa Castle):
Nice use of the shortcut on the edge of the jump near the end of the lap,
though it wasn't done on every lap. Only other things is you hit the walls few times.

Rainbow Road:
Fell off the cliff once, but it only cost like a second or so. The rest was basically perfect.
All the right routes and boosts were taken.
At the end... you appear to go off the cliff, then float back on... That's interesting.

SNES Ghost Valley 2 (SFC Obake Numa 2):
You go so fast you actually lap your opponents on 150CC...

Toad's Factory (Kinopio Factory):
Miss part of the green runway on the first lap... Good you avoided getting hit by a blue shell on a conveyor belt.
Otherwise perfect.

GC Waluigi Stadium:
You drive a jump into a wall. Then another before getting hit by a blue shell.
Then you do it on the third lap too, but barely. Everything else is basically done right, though I don't know if it's faster to take certain jumps of skip them.

Koopa Cape (Konokono Misaki):
Interesting how a blue shell actually hit you onto the side of a rock you can't normally get on top of...
Nearly flawless, really.

Grumble Volcano (Guragura Kazan):
Basically flawless. Never really goes offroad and takes the shortest path every time.

DS Desert Hills (Sansan Sabaku):
Nearly perfect, you just go offroad for 2 half-seconds at the end of the last lap.

Bowser's Castle (Koopa Castle):
Avoids a pow-block by being in mid-air trick. Pretty much perfect, all the difficult boosts are gotten.

DK's Snowboard Cross:
Done well except you hit two snowboarders. But it's only a tiny slow-down in order to stay on the right part of the path.

DK's Jungle Parkway (DK Jungle Park):
Pretty much perfect.

GC Peach Beach:
Besides a couple mistakes with hitting the wall and getting hit by the shell because you got the wrong item, it's perfect. Stayed in all the fastest parts of the level.

DS Delfino Square (Monte Town):
Ya don't hit any boxes, pretty much perfect.

Wario's Gold Mine (Wario Gouzan):
You fall off the cliff, but by doing so avoid a lightning strike, so... little less than balances out.
Then you get knocked out of the shortcut onto the long way.
Then fall down again on probably your own banana peels at that same section. Really you did lose a lotta time here, but at this point in the run it's forgivable. Some like 10 seconds for the final level of an hour 22-minute run.

Overall: Accept.
This was an EXTREMELY ambitious run. Not only is it every level in the game with hard enemies, but it's RANDOM. So you can't even go back and compare times at different parts of practise runs because the
level order changes. The mistakes in this are mostly due to taking difficult shortcuts/boosts and hitting things.
It's improvable, but contains no "total crash and burn" mistakes where you get stuck somewhere or make major errors, and for such a long, fast paced, and having to figure for randomness, it's a really great run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a good SS of a very random game.

P.S. Don't request me to watch runs of games I've never played and make a verdict.

1. I don't really have time to watch runs I'm not supposed to verify (and sometimes even ones I'm supposed to :-/).

2. I won't have enough knowledge about the game to make a fair verdict.
Thread title:  
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
before people think something odd, all those random pauses happened because i kept being called by people in the house. i couldn't just say "fuck off" and keep playing so i paused. it would have been best to use the wii menu pause every time but the controller was low on battery and was off most of the time.

i recognize i made some dumb mistakes in a few tracks but at least falling off in WGM was because i misaligned the wheelie and realized it too late (being the last race was also bad since i was like "almost over..."). i'll have to rewatch the run to remember why some of the others happened.
berserker status
you should've been like this pepe:

"ya dejan de chingar!!"
sorry, i'm not mexican.
berserker status
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
sorry, i'm not mexican.

you don't have to be mexican to speak spanish.

i just assumed you did cuz your name was Jose and your last name sounds hispanic.  my bad.

edit:  i knew your name was hispanic, you're from panama.  don't they speak spanish over yonder?
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from RiskBreaker Y:
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
sorry, i'm not mexican.

i just assumed you did cuz your name was Jose and your last name sounds hispanic.  my bad.

edit:  i knew your name was hispanic, you're from panama.  don't they speak spanish over yonder?

chingar is mexican slang, although it is accepted spanish it isn't used everywhere
Back in the game!
I was not a verifier, but I wanted to say a couple of things.

First off, if the runner/future runners are adept with the racing wheel, it would be a good idea to use that instead.  You can avoid POW blocks with it by shaking it around.

Secondly, isn't it faster to drop slightly behind in the beginning of the race in an attempt to get a hyper mushroom or a star?
DS Dictator
Quote:
Secondly, isn't it faster to drop slightly behind in the beginning of the race in an attempt to get a hyper mushroom or a star?

I was thinking about that last year ago but we thought it wouldn't work too well since you may end up not having a Golden Mushroom or Star. It might work well for courses that has shortcuts but it's pretty unreliable in a 32 course run where your opponents would eventually use a Lighting Bolt, POW Block or a Blue Shroom that would ruin your run and lose your current item.
Quote from gia:
Quote from RiskBreaker Y:
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
sorry, i'm not mexican.

chingar is mexican slang, although it is accepted spanish it isn't used everywhere

correct.

also, the wheel is harder to drive overall. i think it isn't worth it to avoid POW blocks but if you're an expert with it, you should be fine. i prefer to use buttons.
berserker status
ahh, i had no idea.  for a second i thought you were gonna pull a john mccain on me and tell me you live on an army base or something.  Tongue

well anyway, congratulations on getting your run accepted!
The wheel isn't necessary to "dodge" Pow blocks.  Just hammer the trick button on a regular controller (up on the d-pad) before the POW block lands and you'll spin, lose your item, but keep your momentum.  The only downside is that if you're on a bike, your turning gets hampered since you'll be starting wheelies at the same time, but that's really not a big problem. 
Back in the game!
Quote from Guest:
The wheel isn't necessary to "dodge" Pow blocks.  Just hammer the trick button on a regular controller (up on the d-pad) before the POW block lands and you'll spin, lose your item, but keep your momentum.  The only downside is that if you're on a bike, your turning gets hampered since you'll be starting wheelies at the same time, but that's really not a big problem. 

It is if you want to keep your item.
You'll lose the item regardless of whether you're using a wheel or a controller.
Edit history:
Mr. Piggy: 2009-08-22 06:29:47 pm
In the infinite
I haven't played this game in quite some time so don't take my word for it, but can't you do a little bunny hop and dodge a pow block with that? I'm not really sure if I'm right or wrong, so correct me if I'm wrong.
you can dodge POWs with regular jumps but the timing is tricky.
Edit history:
Red_Shifter: 2009-10-06 09:57:34 am
yes, an iron knuckle riding a mechanical horse
It was a pretty good run (except for Wario's Gold Mine), but the massive amount of Blue Shells does have me wondering if SDA would accept a run with items on Balanced Strategic.
items were set on balanced in this run.

now imagine how crazy it was when i was trying with aggressive. that's a reason i decided to use the default rules instead.
Highly Evolved
Why not do a no items run?  Won't that take most of the luck away and let the run be mostly skill based?
Edit history:
UchihaSasuke: 2009-10-06 02:26:43 am
on one hand, it would be better to reduce luck by a lot but on the other it would become practically a time attack without mushrooms and 11 cpu obstacles. imo, that would be useless compared to the time attack records.
i wonder what the admins have to say about that. from the get-go it should be a separate category.
yes, an iron knuckle riding a mechanical horse
I accidentally typed "Balanced" when I meant "Strategic".  Shows how much I actually play the game nowadays...
oh i see. i have never played with that setting so i don't know how much things improve.
just watched the run ... very entertaining.