--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2022-08-23 02:40:40 pm
SDAVerification: 2022-08-12 09:53:53 am
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioKart64.html

Mario Kart 64 (ntscj/ntscus) (n64) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches] [Extra Mode]

Decision: Reject

Reason: Overall a good run, but the runner is still making attempts to lower the time (and has already lowered the time in this category while this run was in verification)

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/verificationfiles/2415/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
SDAVerification: 2022-08-12 09:54:19 am
SDAVerification: 2022-08-12 09:54:09 am
Run Information

Mario Kart 64 (ntscj/ntscus) (n64) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large skip-glitches] [Extra Mode]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/MarioKart64-20220806/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
A/V: Looks good, but it has the same issue as the standard circuit run with a few cases of notification beeps from the stream software. Not enough to disqualify the run, but I hope it can be fixed to avoid it in future recordings.

Gameplay: This run is about 3 min longer than the standard circuit run. There seems to be a few reasons for this:
* The run comments explain that 100cc karts are used in extra (mirror) circuit (is there a source for this fact?), which makes the Choco mountain and Wario Stadium skips more difficult. Around a minute was lost in total in these races compared to the standard circuit run. I checked the 2nd fastest reported run of the extra circuit and it also had trouble in these races.
* Around 20s lost from repeatedly missing the shortcut skip in DK's Jungle Parkway (which had a pretty big time loss in the standard circuit too). The run comments describe the reason for this to be nerves from being on a good pace, so apparently it wasn't related to any additional difficulty in the extra circuit.
* Generally not as clean execution and success rate than in the standard circuit run. I assume much more time has been spent on the standard circuit run, resulting in a higher degree of polish and better RNG in that run.
* I assume the setup for some skips are different between the standard and the extra circuits, but I can't easily judge how big time difference this accounts for.

I checked the previous record in this category. It's 5s slower than the submitted run, but it was actually 25s ahead before going into the last race, which appears to be an RNG fest. The previous record had abysmal drop RNG, while the submitted run got the triple red shells much faster (still took a few tries, so considerably slower than the same race in the standard circuit run).

I also noticed the record has been lowered by half a minute since the submission. Considering the polish of the submitted run is a bit below that for the standard circuit run and the fact that there is already an improvement, I don't think the submitted run should be published. I haven't watched the new record, but I'd be happy to watch that if it's submitted.
Edit history:
kazn: 2022-08-14 10:39:53 pm
Quote:
A/V: Looks good, but it has the same issue as the standard circuit run with a few cases of notification beeps from the stream software.

What time did it happen? I also checked, but I thought that there was no problem with this video.

Quote:
* The run comments explain that 100cc karts are used in extra (mirror) circuit (is there a source for this fact?),

Wikipedia has information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_64

Quote:
I also noticed the record has been lowered by half a minute since the submission. Considering the polish of the submitted run is a bit below that for the standard circuit run and the fact that there is already an improvement, I don't think the submitted run should be published. I haven't watched the new record, but I'd be happy to watch that if it's submitted.

This improvement was made shortly after this thread was created.
I already have a record of 25:23.
If it is remanded, I will not apply for this category for a while.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2022-08-15 07:14:16 am
So wait, you've managed to improve from 26:15 down to 25:23 already? Sounds like maybe it's best to wait a bit with this category then? It's been relatively recently that a lot of the skips were found so it's expected for it to take a while before setting new records starts to settle down. I don't know how much time you've spent on the category personally.

Yeah, looks like the Extra Mode has 100cc karts based on the wiki. It should also be obvious just based on the speed of the karts too so I don't know how this could be a mistaken belief.
Quote from kazn:
Quote:
A/V: Looks good, but it has the same issue as the standard circuit run with a few cases of notification beeps from the stream software.

What time did it happen? I also checked, but I thought that there was no problem with this video.

There is a "ploink" sound at 2:32 that didn't seem like it belonged to the game (but maybe it did?). I'm pretty sure the same sound is heard in other places as well, but I didn't note them down. However, comparing with the standard circuit run, I now realize this is different than the sound worn_traveler pointed out. So maybe I'm just mistaken here. In that case, disregard my comment.

Quote from kazn:
Quote:
* The run comments explain that 100cc karts are used in extra (mirror) circuit (is there a source for this fact?),

Wikipedia has information.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_64

I'm wondering if it's not a typo on wiki. My reading of https://mariokart.fandom.com/wiki/Mirror_Mode is that it's 150cc in extra mode as well. Looking at the completion times of the different races in your two runs, I also get the impression that both are with the same kart. For example, Koopa Troopa Beach is well played in both your runs (only minor mistakes) and they result in almost the same completion times. It would strike me as a weird logic to unlock a special mode in the game by beating the hardest difficulty and then have the difficulty turned down in that new mode.

Quote from kazn:
Quote:

This improvement was made shortly after this thread was created.
I already have a record of 25:23.
If it is remanded, I will not apply for this category for a while.

To add to what LotBlind said, it's better to hold off with this submission until you feel you're done with the category (for the time being) and move on to play something else.
Edit history:
kazn: 2022-08-16 12:28:20 am
Quote:
I'm wondering if it's not a typo on wiki. My reading of https://mariokart.fandom.com/wiki/Mirror_Mode is that it's 150cc in extra mode as well. Looking at the completion times of the different races in your two runs, I also get the impression that both are with the same kart. For example, Koopa Troopa Beach is well played in both your runs (only minor mistakes) and they result in almost the same completion times. It would strike me as a weird logic to unlock a special mode in the game by beating the hardest difficulty and then have the difficulty turned down in that new mode.

150cc is DD or later. It is also written in the URL you posted. 64 is an older work than DD.
Decision posted.