Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 15 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Not a walrus
As a note, leaving the search fields blank makes it return absolutely everything. I assume that's by design, but if not, it's a happy accident.
Okay.  I've implemented the different methods of prize drawing. 

Quote from UraniumAnchor:
Had a thought while looking at the prize list: Maybe the minimum bid and start/end games could be actual database entries and not just put in the description. Kinda low priority, but might be useful.

Not a bad idea.  That being said, w.r.t. game->prize associations, currently we're not tracking game start/end time.  I still really haven't had a chance to look at pulling the data from the google docs, but even manually setting start/end times for each game might not be a bad idea to speed up/simplify prize drawing.  Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what one is to gain by adding those associations (other that I guess making it absolutely clear when/where each prize needs to be drawn).

Quote from puwexil:
Those attributes are true for every prize entry, so I say go for it if/when you have time.  Having them in separate columns would make the tracker data a bit cleaner and easier to read too (I had to truncate a bunch of game names to keep the Description column from word wrapping too much).

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  MSPaint?

As a note, leaving the search fields blank makes it return absolutely everything. I assume that's by design, but if not, it's a happy accident.

By design: it makes sense in the context of the search system, since it does a search for lower(table.column) like %searchString%, such that when its empty it will match %%, i.e. everything.
Not a walrus
Actually, looking at it again, it seems to only return 25 or so, with no way to select other groups. I'm not sure if that's the query or because the list only holds that many items. Either way, was that the intent? I could have an old version I guess.
Actually, looking at it again, it seems to only return 25 or so, with no way to select other groups. I'm not sure if that's the query or because the list only holds that many items. Either way, was that the intent? I could have an old version I guess.

You have the old version; I had messed up the paging system for the prize searcher earlier, but it is fixed now.  Each page is a max of 20 entries long.
Professional Second Banana
I just meant that if the Description field goes past a certain length, the table automatically increases the height of each cell and wraps the text to a 2nd line.  I kept each entry short enough to prevent that from happening; but if we had separate columns in the prize table for minimum donation for entry and game or game range, that would give the data a cleaner layout.
Quote from puwexil:
I just meant that if the Description field goes past a certain length, the table automatically increases the height of each cell and wraps the text to a 2nd line.  I kept each entry short enough to prevent that from happening; but if we had separate columns in the prize table for minimum donation for entry and game or game range, that would give the data a cleaner layout.

Oh, so you mean the table layout on the website?

In any case, I guess I'll try getting that done ASAP so we can see if it'll work.
Not a walrus
I called the columns 'minbid', 'startgame' and 'endgame' in the website, just fyi. Can certainly change them if you think there's a better choice.
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-12-20 01:22:16 pm
SMK: 2011-12-20 01:15:47 pm
I called the columns 'minbid', 'startgame' and 'endgame' in the website, just fyi. Can certainly change them if you think there's a better choice.

uhh, well, I used 'minimumAmount'.  Maybe 'minimumBid'? I'm allergic to abbreviations. 

EDIT:
Oh, and while we're at it, can the website handle nulls on any of those columns?  Or, more specifically, any that it can't handle nulls on?
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-12-20 01:29:19 pm
Not a walrus
minimumBid sounds fine. minimumBid should probably not be null, but for the grand prize the games might be null... or maybe we can just have it span the entire game list? Which do you think would make more sense?
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-12-20 02:07:11 pm
minimumBid sounds fine. minimumBid should probably not be null, but for the grand prize the games might be null... or maybe we can just have it span the entire game list? Which do you think would make more sense?

Well, you know me, I like my null values!

I guess in the interest of automating the time range for prize drawing, it would make sense to actually use the first and last games (if I ever get around to implementing that), but the problem is that when you first create the prize, you'd have to forcibly assign a start and end game, which would get awkward UI-wise (I'd have to make a prize-creation wizard or something), so I'd still rather that they be allowed to be blank.  Unless its too much work on your end?

Speaking of minimum bid not being null, what should the default value be, just 5.00$ like always?

Oh, and before I forget:
Code:
alter table Prize add index PrizeFKSpeedRunEnd (ENDGAME), add constraint PrizeFKSpeedRunEnd foreign key (ENDGAME) references SpeedRun (ID);
alter table Prize add index PrizeFKSpeedRunStart (STARTGAME), add constraint PrizeFKSpeedRunStart foreign key (STARTGAME) references SpeedRun (ID);
Not a walrus
The forum seems to have eaten my last post. It's slightly more work to deal with null values in the foreign keys, but I already have it implemented that way now, so that's probably how we should leave it. $5 seems fine for a default.
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-12-20 03:18:58 pm
SMK: 2011-12-20 03:09:46 pm
The forum seems to have eaten my last post. It's slightly more work to deal with null values in the foreign keys, but I already have it implemented that way now, so that's probably how we should leave it. $5 seems fine for a default.

Cool, I'm filling out some of the games' information just to make sure everything is working okay.

Edit: I did the first page worth of prizes

Edit 2: You're probably already aware of this, but navigating to bids on the agdq2 site gives a 'Selected Object Does Not Exist In Database' error.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-12-21 04:19:50 am
UraniumAnchor: 2011-12-20 03:42:50 pm
Not a walrus
Fixed that in my local copy, it wasn't the problem I thought it was. It was even dumber than that.

Edit: Fixed that and added a new prize page.

http://donations.uranium-anchor.com/tracker/prizes/agdq2/
Looking good - let me know when the tracker app's updated and I'll update the rest of the games fields.

Also, another thought I had was to put a link to the marathon schedule somewhere on the on the Games and Prizes tracker pages (unless we're going to integrate the schedule directly into the tracker at some point), so viewers won't keep asking when X game is being run so they can donate for Y prize.
The version up now should have all that stuff.  As mentioned above, I already fixed the first page (the first 20 in the search list) worth of prizes' data.

W.r.t. schedule integration: That's my next project.  Basically, I'm going to try grabbing and re-integrating the schedule information from the google spreadsheet into the tracker db somehow.  I can't make any promises though, so we'll see how it goes.  For now, they'll just have to be separate.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-12-21 02:53:35 pm
Not a walrus
One more minor detail came up. Is it possible to not have the connect dialog close if there's an error? Having to retype everything is a little obnoxious. Tongue

Edit: Also, I'm entering in some choice/challenge data now since I have a bit of free time.
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-12-21 03:30:10 pm
One more minor detail came up. Is it possible to not have the connect dialog close if there's an error? Having to retype everything is a little obnoxious. Tongue
  Hey, at least its giving you an error; before it wasn't even checking for a connection until you performed the first query, which was pretty bad.  Anyways, fixed and uploaded.

Edit:

Or rather, will be in about 1 minute.
Not a walrus
Good stuff. Also, most challenges and choices are now in, but there's a couple missing because it wasn't immediately clear from the game description... or in Metal Slug's case, I don't know what the characters' names are.
Good stuff. Also, most challenges and choices are now in, but there's a couple missing because it wasn't immediately clear from the game description... or in Metal Slug's case, I don't know what the characters' names are.

Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio
Not a walrus
Just got them in with some help from the IRC, but thanks. Time for a sandwich, now.
Game fields are updated in the prize records.

1 minor wrinkle I thought of is that if we integrate the schedule into the tracker and use the time stamps for prize drawings, how the FF7 prizes would work (part 1 and part 2 have different prizes); but since it's just 2 prizes we should just be able to do those with manually input start/end times.
Quote from puwexil:
Game fields are updated in the prize records.

1 minor wrinkle I thought of is that if we integrate the schedule into the tracker and use the time stamps for prize drawings, how the FF7 prizes would work (part 1 and part 2 have different prizes); but since it's just 2 prizes we should just be able to do those with manually input start/end times.

List them as two separate games?  For all intents of purpose, it is behaving as two separate games anyways.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-12-21 04:49:52 pm
Not a walrus
Quote from SMK:
intents of purpose

That's a new one.

But yeah, it might be better to just have part 1's prizes manual, and part 2 use the game entry? Splitting it into two distinct entries would cause other issues, I think.
Quote from SMK:
intents of purpose

That's a new one.

I'm too tired to figure out what I was supposed to mean there.

But yeah, it might be better to just have part 1's prizes manual, and part 2 use the game entry? Splitting it into two distinct entries would cause other issues, I think.

How so?  Most (if not all) bids will apply to Disc 1 (naming, cloud dating) anyways, so if you only list one, you should probably list part 1.
Discs 2/3 will just have Vincent's naming, the Saturn/PSX RPG bundle, and the superboss challenges if we do them.  All other donation incentives/prizes will be during Disc 1.