Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 11 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Exoray
Not so sure we should be having a list of donors with the amount each one donated publicly available online. You might want to remove that part seeing as some people did request anonymity. (I'm aware that all that info is technically already available in the videos as they are being read out loud)
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Moooh does have a point. It's rare, but occasionally people will ask you not to pronounce their real name when you're reading off donations.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-03 01:31:55 pm
Not a walrus
I've been messing around with Django lately and it turns out that once I figured out the syntax to do database joins it made building a display app rather trivial.

I can add something that'll hide personal info unless you're logged into a privileged account. Django has built in user registration, so I'm not a complete hypocrite.

Edit: It hides last names except the first initial now. I'll add in user stuff after I get the rest of the display page up.
Balls jerky
I still know which one I am! However, that is some fancy shit right thur.
Not a walrus
Now with multiple event support
Fancy indeed.  Any chance I could take a look at the source? 
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-03 07:59:37 pm
Not a walrus
All the page views should be done. AGDQ is available now and CGDQ should be available soon.

I'll see about zipping up the source code and firing it your way.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-04 02:49:58 am
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-04 02:49:46 am
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-04 02:43:02 am
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-04 02:42:54 am
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-04 02:42:42 am
Not a walrus
Sorting you say

And before anybody asks there is no way to register your own account. That's partially by design and partially because I don't feel like writing the code for that. If you want an account PM me. At this point all it lets you do is see full names and/or email addresses.
Not a walrus
I heard you like comments

I need to stop working on this it's all I've done all weekend.
Nice job, I was still working on a rather terrible looking framework, so you did a much better job than me. Out of curiosity, how does it work during a heavy load? Just run some sort of stress test to see when and if it will choke.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-05 10:38:32 pm
Not a walrus
No clue, honestly. The database queries should be pretty lightweight in theory. Worst case I can easily make it so that public viewers can only see challenges/bid wars, which should help keep the load down.
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-09-05 10:45:30 pm
Balls jerky
Don't stop UA, this stuff is too neat! I like reliving the marathons through my donation comments.

One nitpick: according to your database, my first CGDQ donation happened before the marathon even started. Going off of my donation for the successful completion of TMNT. You're off by 7 hours which is somewhere west of Hawaii time.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-06 02:57:08 am
Not a walrus
For some reason the non-sgdq timestamps are all fucked up (shifted by some number of hours). I blame chipin. I can probably fix it manually later.

Also doing some tests with raw queries tells me that the donor list and donation list are the two heftiest queries (pretty obvious really, but it was nice to confirm), but even the donation list only took 0.04 sec on a shared mysql server. I'm sure it'll be fine but I'll add a kill switch (can only see the donor/donation lists if you're logged in) before AGDQ2 just in case.
Weegee Time
What about just providing a Most Recent page for the average user, with no sorting?  Say the latest 50 donations.  It gives the viewers what's specifically been going on without allowing them to pull down the entire record set each time.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-06 05:46:20 pm
Not a walrus
That's one option, yeah. Or pagination with logged in users being able to see the entire list at once. Honestly, though, I'll probably leave it open and keep a close eye on it, and if it starts being slow I'll put it into a safer mode. Only take a tiny change. I'd like to get the caching backend to work but when I was trying it, I was having trouble pulling the query results out of the cache (getting 'unknown field' errors).
Not a walrus
Yay more comments

Also you can log in with a google account now.
... still waiting on seeing the source code.  Why don't you just put it into a source repo or something?  I'd love to help out with this (if you'd like), plus maybe we could extend this to replace the local client tracker someday.
Not a walrus
I'd rather keep the java app because it's a million times more responsive (even when running remotely) and it's got a better edit interface than I feel like trying to make in the django framework. The admin page has a pre-built admin interface but it's complete shite for trying to actually update bids and challenges. No point in reinventing the wheel, though I can think of a few additions I'd like to see in the java app.

The reason I haven't zipped up the source yet is because I kept making changes to it. I'll figure something out later tonight (git repo maybe?), since I think it's pretty much done for now. I might want to add "comment approval" before you can view it in public, for a variety of reasons.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-08 12:50:28 am
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-07 11:53:20 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2011-09-07 11:42:41 pm
Not a walrus
Made a git repo:

https://github.com/uraniumanchor/sda-donation-tracker
https://github.com/uraniumanchor/sda-donation-tracker-templates (there's some extra shit in this one from my other projects, just ignore it)

There's locale support on it now. Anybody feel like doing some translations? (Yes, I am insane. Or bored. Probably bored.)
Not a walrus
Before I forget, something that came up during SGDQ is having a bidding war with a 'deficit', for example saving the animals vs letting them die in SM, but saving them had to be $200 ahead for it to count. I'm not sure there's an elegant way to handle this situation, but it would be nice if we could come up with something.

Also, changing the layout of the donation table by adding an 'approved' column for the comment, so we can decide whether to display it on the public page or not.
Probably insane.  Yeah, I've been meaning to take a look at this stuff, very lazy.  Good idea with the 'approved' column thing.  The 'must be 200 ahead' thing: I can add a special case if you want, but it seems like something that we could just put in the comments for that particular bid and leave it at that (i.e. I don't think there's much value to be had adding that particular feature, but I could be wrong).  Locales, ugh, I can speak french, so maybe that, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for the change in the schema, hmm, that might become a bit of an inconsistency issue if we both keep working in parallel, but I'll merge the changes to my copy.

Also, I'm adding your github account as a collaborator to my stuff, deal with it.
Not a walrus
Yeah, I think the deficit idea is uncommon enough we can just put it on the option name.

An extra column shouldn't break either of the apps, really, just as long as the table itself is a union of the column sets. The only issue I can really think of is that django doesn't do table alterations automatically, other than adding columns.
Well, I meant an issue more in terms of when I do add support for changing the approved status of a donation, our names will need to match up otherwise it won't have any effect.  I was thinking of making it a 3-value enum ['PENDING','APPROVED','DENIED'], or something along those lines.  Does that make sense?
Not a walrus
Oh, I see what you're getting at, yeah. That should work fine. I'm not sure django will care either way, it seems to be perfectly happy treating the donation status columns as string foreign keys.
Well, I added the column to the sql file and committed it.  Wait, so do you have to manually set up the model with django, or do you just use the .sql file?