Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314151617181920 -> <- 1 .. 10 .. 20 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Oh crap, I forgot to test out the newest version of the tracker. I'll do it soon.

Anyway, I think you should work more on the tracker program than the remote program, because we need something to track donations with for the summer marathon. An online tracker would be amazing though, it would let people off-site help manage the challenges and bids.
Not a walrus
I was under the impression that the php page was just for display purposes, but I could be wrong I suppose.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Oh crap, I forgot to test out the newest version of the tracker. I'll do it soon.

No worries, frankly someone actually attending SGDQ should probably be trying it out, since they would actually stand to benefit from it.

Quote from UraniumAnchor:
I was under the impression that the php page was just for display purposes, but I could be wrong I suppose.

Well, that's all it does at the moment (and it barely does it at that, as you can see), and that's all I would plan for it to do for SGDQ. Eventually I could re-write it into a webapp too (as discussed elsewhere in the thread), but I'd rather have something working before trying to make something that's barely-maybe-not working.  The current client _can_ connect to a remote system, but as I mentioned it's awkward and really slow (I have to play around with how I'm caching things on the client to make it more bearable).
Okay I tried connecting to a database using test.script, and when searching for a donor, I double-clicked on one and got this error message, "user lacks privilege or object not found: READSTATE". I get the same error for donation (but it doesn't even give me a menu beforehand), and very similar errors for run, bid, and prize. For run and bid, it says "DESCRIPTION" instead of "READSTATE", and for prize it says "IMAGEURL".

Similar error messages appear when I try to do anything, actually.

I get the same error message when I try to login through the chipin.
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-07-20 06:32:58 pm
Quote from mikwuyma:
Okay I tried connecting to a database using test.script, and when searching for a donor, I double-clicked on one and got this error message, "user lacks privilege or object not found: READSTATE". I get the same error for donation (but it doesn't even give me a menu beforehand), and very similar errors for run, bid, and prize. For run and bid, it says "DESCRIPTION" instead of "READSTATE", and for prize it says "IMAGEURL".

Similar error messages appear when I try to do anything, actually.

I get the same error message when I try to login through the chipin.

Ah, crap, sorry, that's because I recently added some fields to the database, but forgot to update the database in the zip file.  I'll fix it when I get home this evening.

EDIT: fixed, again, really sorry about that.  There just aren't enough hours in the day..

http://inlovewithladyada.com/files/tracker-app.zip
Haters gonna hate
I'd just like to say, if this is going to be used for for SGDQ, it'd be a good idea if some more people who going to, you know, actually be there start testing this thing.  I somehow doubt UA and Mike's are planning on entering every donation received (especially considering Mike would be doing it from his house). Tongue

That said, I haven't played with it at all yet, but thanks SMK for your work on this.  Definitely appreciated.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-07-20 11:51:40 pm
This program is looking really good. My only big criticism is that I feel like the interface could be improved somehow, but I'm not sure how to do it.

On the donor tab, there should be a way (maybe right-click?) to apply challenge bids to a donation. (and see it too, somehow)

When you have choices, it would be nice if you could also press enter to select instead of being forced to click okay (I'm thinking of the bid amount here, but there's probably other places).

I logged into the chipin, but nothing happened. Am I supposed to do something else to get the jrdq donations appear?

Breakdown: Agreed, I can test and suggest interface improvements, but even if some sort of online interface is implemented (incredibly unlikely), I'm not going to be up 24/7.
Quote from Breakdown:
I'd just like to say, if this is going to be used for for SGDQ, it'd be a good idea if some more people who going to, you know, actually be there start testing this thing.  I somehow doubt UA and Mike's are planning on entering every donation received (especially considering Mike would be doing it from his house). Tongue

And UA is running the first game, which is where you're going to run into all of the problems at once.

Quote from Breakdown:
That said, I haven't played with it at all yet, but thanks SMK for your work on this.  Definitely appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote from mikwuyma:
On the donor tab, there should be a way (maybe right-click?) to apply challenge bids to a donation. (and see it too, somehow)

I can see if I can add a context menu, but my thoughts were that most of the time you won't even be navigating to the donor tab when adding donations (because of the chipin-merge function, see below).  The idea I had in mind for applying bids to a donation was to use the 'Task->Process Bids' menu item, which brings up a tab with a list of all recent donations (well, not recent, it brings up all donations that have a comment, and either haven't had any bids attached to them, or haven't manually been marked as done on that tab), and the appropriate controls to attach bids and stuff.  Then you can work through all recent donations systematically.

Quote from mikwuyma:
When you have choices, it would be nice if you could also press enter to select instead of being forced to click okay (I'm thinking of the bid amount here, but there's probably other places).

I'll look into it; there should be a straight forward way to do that.  In the meantime, the Tab key is your friend (all of the windows are set up to have some kind of intelligent tab focus order, so its (mostly) possible to stay on the keyboard).

Quote from mikwuyma:
I logged into the chipin, but nothing happened. Am I supposed to do something else to get the jrdq donations appear?

Once you're connected to a database and logged into chipin, just goto the Chipin menu at the top and select 'Merge from chipin website' from the dropdown menu.  A new tab will pop up with a progress bar; basically its grabbing the webpage in the background, parsing it, and then adding all donors/donations that hadn't been added yet.  The idea is that you'd select that option periodically to grab all of the new donations from chipin.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-07-21 07:00:48 am
Ohhhhhh, that's the point of the process bids function! Hmmm, maybe it should be called something a little more clear than process bids.

logged into chipin: Ohhhhhh okay, will it highlight the new donations by bolding them or something? But wait, which database would I want to log into? Isn't logging into the chipin enough?

BTW, anyone coming to sgdq should play around with this program for at least 5-10 minutes so you have some idea how to process donations.
Not a walrus
The database is where all the information we used to insert manually is stored, I imagine.

I'll take a look at this thing more this weekend.
I want off the ride....
uhh i think this should be pointed out as well i dont have anything but the test DB to work off of, but can there be separate flags for "process" and "read" bids? cause... Ideally you'd have TWO people trying to do this. And currently if you process a bid and mark it as "done" so you can keep moving on blah blah, if you then refresh on the "read" bid tab it'll make that donation slip away

this does not meet the standard that we'd read bids every so often. We wouldn't handle it as it comes, as there are often periods where we wait to read it. So there needs to be a "mark as read" instead of "mark as done"
done should be for processed...

I'll mess w/ this more and come back later...

also funny glitch if your selecting something that got marked "done" instead of disappearing ti drops to the bottom of the list and forces your cursor down to the bottom. But if you fix the above this should go away.
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-07-21 09:30:36 pm
SMK: 2011-07-21 05:51:25 pm
SMK: 2011-07-21 05:20:39 pm
SMK: 2011-07-21 05:20:13 pm
Quote from RaneofSOTN:
uhh i think this should be pointed out as well i dont have anything but the test DB to work off of, but can there be separate flags for "process" and "read" bids? cause... Ideally you'd have TWO people trying to do this. And currently if you process a bid and mark it as "done" so you can keep moving on blah blah, if you then refresh on the "read" bid tab it'll make that donation slip away

Really? Hmm, that would be a bug then; the two states are handled separately internally, and the one tab should clear the read state, the other should clear the bid state, I must be calling the wrong method on one of them.

EDIT: Ah, it was working 'properly', but it was re-ording the list in a really dumb way (it was using the read state and bid state to define the overall ordering of the set of donations).  I've changed it to order by time received, so it should stop doing that now.  I haven't uploaded a new version yet though, I'll get to it eventually...

EDIT2: Uploaded a fixed version.
Are there any hotkeys for common tasks? If not, there should be some for the Create menu, the Task menu, and maybe ctrl-F to bring up a general search?

Maybe F5 or something to merge from chip-in.
When you go to draw a prize with the "assign' button, it isn't returning a donor. Even if I disabled all three parameters, it was saying there were no donors matching the criteria.
Edit history:
romscout: 2011-08-04 01:57:07 am
romscout: 2011-08-04 01:15:20 am
that Metroidvania guy
<-- Aftermath again

So there seems to be a glitch with editing prize names, or something with editing prizes.

I've edited a prize, then saved it, and when I go to make a new prize, it says "A prize with that name already exists." I don't know how to get around this (had to remake the script the first time), and since it's happened twice it doesn't seem to be a random thing.

Edit: also seems to happen if i make a new prize, then close that tab immediately.

It looks like it's autosaving a prize with no name in certain circumstances (pretty sure it's from closing a new prize tab without doing anything), so when you try to make a new one, it doesn't let you even try.
Edit history:
SMK: 2011-08-04 11:34:09 am
SMK: 2011-08-04 11:33:36 am
Quote from Aftermath:
Are there any hotkeys for common tasks?

I added 'del' to delete the entity of the current tab, and 'esc' to close the current tab.  I'll look at adding some more in a bit, but I need to bring my car in for service right now. (n.b. if you need to navigate to a menu, use 'alt' and then the arrow keys, I don't know of any way of opening a menu programmatically atm).

Quote from Aftermath:
When you go to draw a prize with the "assign' button, it isn't returning a donor. Even if I disabled all three parameters, it was saying there were no donors matching the criteria.

Ah, when I had fixed that, I forgot to re-upload the source, my bad, I'll upload a new version soon.

Quote from romscout but maybe really aftermath:
I've edited a prize, then saved it, and when I go to make a new prize, it says "A prize with that name already exists." I don't know how to get around this (had to remake the script the first time), and since it's happened twice it doesn't seem to be a random thing.

Small typo on my part (I was defaulting prize name to be an empty string instead of null), good find.

Uploaded new version to the usual place: http://inlovewithladyada.com/files/tracker-app.zip

EDIT:
ctrl-s saves the current entity
ctrl-r refreshes the data on the current tab
ctrl-m runs a chipin merge
ctrl-tab / ctrl-shift-tab moves between tabs
Quits halfway
Well, marathon's over, so I thought I'd give some more feedback. I loved the program, it was very easy to use and saved so much hassle. The refresh speed and simplicity of reading donations was so great compared to JRDQ. There were a number of times when someone was wanting to helm the donation computer, but didn't know the program, and it took about 20 seconds to teach them the few commands they'd need and they'd be fine.

There were a few very minor UI notes I made as they popped up, just going to list them to see what you think.

Double-click in search results to select, instead of hitting ok.
When creating new entry, cursor should start in name box, instead of needing to click again.
Be able to search the bid choices and see what individual donations have gone toward it.
When searching donations, have an option to toggle the names of the donor instead of the timestamps (no idea how hard it'd be, but would have saved some time in a dozen or so instances).

When searching, lists should be sorted somehow, either alphabetically or by time created, helpful for prizes:
Since I ended up putting the entire schedule of games in, perhaps you could assign an order to the games which would help in sorting. When you attach a choice or challenge to the game, those would then be sorted based on the order of the game. The same thing would be helpful for prizes, at some point the prize search broke (I'll PM you the script file we used) and we had to manually find stuff. Not sure if it would be worth it, but implementing this if it's pretty easy would be good for ease of use when searching.

One other thing I wanted to comment on is that we ended up not using Attach Bid after a while. There wasn't a whole lot of benefit to it currently, since the viewers also wanted to see the progress of various bid wars, we just input the numbers on a google doc and weren't using the program. UA had some great ideas about polling the program for updating a donation total into a google doc, perhaps adding some basic updating on bid wars from the program itself would make this feature more useful. I'd like to see it used, since it removes any confusion about if you've remembered to update the doc and doing simple addition when tired is more difficult than it should be.

Of course, updating the bid wars weren't a big deal except around the Super Metroid race, where the donations were coming in like crazy. The total was a hassle to update pretty much all the time though.

Again, loved the program and I really appreciate all the work you've put into it already.
that Metroidvania guy
I was going to comment on this as well, but Aftermath ninja'd my post. He also covered everything pretty well. It's basically what we discussed right after the marathon.

I think the way the app is now, it actually works pretty well for live marathons. Having a page (with total donations and bidding wars mainly) be auto-updated by the app would be nice, but also that could potentially use a lot of resources so I understand if we don't pursue that.

Ther only bug we ran into was what Aftermath mentioned. It was toward the middle of the marathon and we didn't manage to correct it at all. This was after we tried getting Skype set up on that computer for L4D2, so maybe it had something to do with that. Whenever we went to "search prize" and tried to type in the item on the left box, it would give an error popup on every single new character and you could only type one letter at a time with this. I definitely agree that being able to sort lists would be an extremely helpful backup in case this turns out to be something that's hard to fix.

But once again, thanks a lot SMK. This app is a gigantic improvement from the AGDQ rendition.
Now a hit show on the CW
Just wanted to add my praise of the app. It did everything we needed it to and was very intuitive. Great work SMK!
Not a walrus
Something we should remember for next time is that, even if we use a local database file, there's no reason we can't have more than one copy of the program running, as long as only one is used for prize drawings and bid updates. That way one person can be updating bids and another can be reading off comments. Though it was only a real issue during the flood of donations just before Kingdom Hearts, it's something to keep in mind.

The donation app made it 10x easier than AGDQ just because we didn't have to be constantly bouncing around the chipin page to read new comments, and it made it nearly impossible for comments to get lost. Great work on it.
Thanks guys, I'm glad I could be of service in some fashion.

@Aftermath/Romscout: All of those are reasonable suggestions (that I was kind of hoping people would be giving _before_ the marathon ::)), and I'll be sure to give them their due in time.  I'm kinda tired of the stupid thing at the moment though, so don't expect anything soon.

As for the bid wars thing: yeah, the original plan was to be able to have a web-page that users could navigate to at their leisure with all of the data pulled from the db (either directly, or pushed periodically), but it just didn't get done.  That'll probably be my biggest focus for AGDQ2 (that and making attach bid work a little better/faster, I was thinking of trying to add a smart-prefill to it that would scan the comment for intended bids, that would be pretty fun to write!), since I think that'll help the most right now.

@UA: the 'comments not getting lost' was a big hope of mine for this.  Multiple db's would be a last ditch thing if I'm really too lazy to cut out the round-trip traffic to make it tolerable for online stuff; we'll have to see what can get done.

Also, if you want a web-page, then please convince/beg/steal someone who knows how to make html pretty to help with the page design, otherwise it'll look like a big pile of garbage.

Also, great job to all of you on the marathon!  I had a great time watching.
Quote from SMK:
Also, if you want a web-page, then please convince/beg/steal someone who knows how to make html pretty to help with the page design, otherwise it'll look like a big pile of garbage.

CSS and Auto-refresh is your friend. I'm sure something could be quickly thrown together with CodeIgniter for the backend and pretty CSS on the front. Fully Coding it from scratch is possible, but CodeIgniter was built with efficiency in mind when accessing databases(and is very user friendly), whereas when coding from scratch making something access a database can be fast or slow depending on how it is written. With some html frames you could even embed it on the main SDA page.

I don't do amazingly well with HTML, but I may be able to help you out with some of the work. If you can run the mySQL database and give me the info,  I can probably get you something basic up and running and send the code your way(I want you to run the database so you can best implement it into your program). 

You can even auto-refresh it with this PHP argument:
Code:
header('Refresh: x');

With x being a number in seconds.
Quote from ExtremeYoshiFan:
Quote from SMK:

CSS and Auto-refresh is your friend. I'm sure something could be quickly thrown together with CodeIgniter for the backend and pretty CSS on the front. Fully Coding it from scratch is possible, but CodeIgniter was built with efficiency in mind when accessing databases(and is very user friendly), whereas when coding from scratch making something access a database can be fast or slow depending on how it is written. With some html frames you could even embed it on the main SDA page.

I don't do amazingly well with HTML, but I may be able to help you out with some of the work. If you can run the mySQL database and give me the info,  I can probably get you something basic up and running and send the code your way(I want you to run the database so you can best implement it into your program). 

You can even auto-refresh it with this PHP argument:
Code:
header('Refresh: x');

With x being a number in seconds.

That would be very helpful. I'll send you the details via PM.
Not a walrus
What Up
Wow! Were'd that come from?