Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video and audio quality: Good for NES.

Watching this I realize just how little I know about speedrunning this game. I time the run at about 13:47. Two minutes off the TAS isn't too shabby, and I only noticed one of the small mistakes pointed out in the comments. After watching it 3 times, I'm still impressed (you made the jumping look easy), and I'm happy to see this run go up. Don't be too hard on yourself man. Runs have to start somewhere, and it's a lot easier to improve on someone's run than blaze your own trail. Keep up the great work!

Accept!

Quote:
First off I approve of both the visual and audio quality of this run.

Next, having only finished this game once it's damned impressive. Not only does it shave two minutes off of a TAS, the game is tough as nails and has a rather complex magic system to boot.

The game vaguely guides you around in a very trial and error manner til you learn it and learn it well, expecting you to take all these vague hints and go through to the very end. On top of that, this run relies on a 1/4 spell that has a chance of either instantly murdering you or curing. To say that this run is also ballsy is an understatement.

The item and spell management throughout is really well planned, and there are more thena  handful of boss fights that become nothing more then a couple second ordeals. One definite highlight I have to say is the lake sequence preceeding the dragon boss, the platforming there is insanely tricky and is pulled off with ease in this run.

Oh, by the way, that talking tree is creepy, end of story. Look at that thing, creepy dude...

Back to being on a serious note, navigating the darkened caverns is tough, you can barely see what's going on without a proper spell which the runner just ignores entirely making the entire underground caverns impressive. Also the cave boss looks like it just woke up with a horrible cold, poor cave boss.

As swift as the wind the final portion of the game inside Abadon's tower is entered, but not before talking to the old yoga warlock. Them yoga warlocks are friendly fellows... After playing a game of Jeapordy with a sphynx, the final climb is entered and one last puzzle is solved, forging the potion to defeat Abadon.

Abadon himself boils down to "oh no not magic in my face!" and the all powerful space suit warlock is defeated in no time at all.

After all is said and done, all I have to say is I feel more experienced: Accept!

Quote:
Calling Dr. Strange! Dr. Strange come in! We need a badass sorcerer in a hurry!

“Hello, you’ve reached the Sanctum Sanctorium, I’m off in an alternate dimension fighting Wesker, Vergil and Dr. Doom (and failing miserably) so please find another mage in the event of a world-wide crisis or evil dictatorship enforced by the brutal whims of an enraged warlock. Ciao!”

………………………….Damn it, call Paul.

MAGICIAN!

…….we’re SO screwed.

Audio/Video:  Both are solid, this game’s got a surprisingly kicking soundtrack. The Cave is supposed to be that dark, there's a spell to fix it if it bothers you so much. Man up, fool!

Overall Opinion: My more rambling commentary is below and hidden, but the important stuff is up here. The runner is impressive in his mirroring of the TAS to the best of human ability. I agree in his route changes to make the game playable by a mortal, and telling him to use the UNKNOWN spell twice in a run ala the TAS is so incredibly stupid. Frame-perfect events in rapid sequence (learning spells, flying in the lake stage, dodging the pendulum) and manipulation of the game’s timer address make a 2 minute off the TAS run very impressive. Any mistake in learning the spells would likely be a reset (good save in the Caves with Iron Boots), and a mistake at any of the many little events in the game (the first warrior giving you gold, the jumping at the lake, spikes in the cave, etc) can easily add 20 seconds to a run or simply kill you. Memorizing the caves is impressive, and the menu manipulation is top notch.

Little Buggers:
• The Twin spell menu check, to which the runner has already described as an oopsie
• Missing Fleet Foot the first time on the fire bridge
• Getting shut down by the hot 8-bit milf during the ending
• This being another Taxan game I’ve verified
• The complete and utter (udder?) lack of lethal goat’s milk drank in this run

Judgment: Accept! I'm also very happy verifiers appeared for this run besides myself. I hope the runner realizes that I'm older than him, and should stop calling himself a fossil. Go with "substrate-infused support unit," holds a bit more weight.

Highlights:
HOMETOWN:
Paul quickly abuses his power to scare his neighbors and peer in their windows, only to leap away when they try to catch him.

The NotsoMacho Man pays Paul 2000 gold on the first try, allowing him to buy The Key of All Knowledge, granting him experience he’d never have gotten buying a loaf of bread or a new spell.

Paul jumps at a decent pace to maintain his mana and keep his speed up (since Fleet Foot is on a timer, it’s not as useful if you can’t manipulate the address controlling it).

WILDERNESS:
Obviously, the best response to a psychotic friar is to leap down the nearest well.

Random gouts of fire from marsh gas was once a very real threat in my home state.

Exorcise is soooooooo boss. Its use reminds me fondly of my run, hovering inside an enemy’s sprite while nuking them, seeing who would die first.

LAKE:
Paul totally ganks that first guy’s canoe fare.

Paul decides that after one half day of adventuring, he’s tired of how much pain tends to hurt. He casts Shield spells and chugs mana potions like a D2 Sorceress.

Man…those jumps…are so hard. Try it sometime, and be reduced to groveling with the game’s programmers for mercy.

FOREST:
Give Paul mad props for not becoming a blob or transforming into a skeleton when casting the UNKNOWN spell.

The plot says Paul’s the last mage alive besides Abadon. Guess the guild janitor got a serious promotion or someone at Eurocom was lying.

CAVE:
Paul casts many spells, but never Magic Missile, and certainly never at the darkness.

Fleet Foot keeps getting hosed in this cave, the timer was clearly not on Paul’s side.

Check the mind games as Paul outruns those beholder shots after the overhead maze.

She shows her gratitude by teleporting you into the dungeon of a psychotic magical dictator. And she steals your house later. What a bitch.

DUNGEON, CASTLE, TOWER: Pretty smooth sailing, nothing too outrageous here to comment/wise crack about.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Emptyeye!
Thread title:  
Talk to the Hand
*whew*

Glad to see the verifiers liked this run. One thing is that some of their comments (That aren't related to the run) probably don't make any sense without looking at my run comments, which looking back, are a fascinating look into my state of mind around when I was doing this run. Suffice to say that they're probably more "raw" in that sense than any other set of comments to date.

Anyway, I'm excited that this will be going up at some time in the future. Smiley