List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/LuigisMansion.html

'Survive's hidden mansion single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I've seen the whole run and there aren't any parts which need explanation, so the comments aren't vital.

It's a category SDA doesn't have yet: Hidden Mansion Any%. Before I get onto the run, I should mention that the PAL version of the Hidden Mansion is completely different to the American and Japanese versions (which are, I think, identical), so I'll base my critique on the main mode (which, on this version, is similar). Everything's synched and there aren't any audio or video glitches.

Area 1: The initial ghost battles are well played thanks to quick sucking, so to speak, and getting two ghosts in one attack where useful. The first two Portrait Ghosts are both nabbed in a single attack per battle and the boss fight is almost perfect.

Area 2: Impressive ghost fighting, on two occasions he almost gets hit but pulls off a quick attack which saves time. The Boo hunting is largely down to luck, but it goes fairly quickly and the actual fights are brilliant. The boss goes down very quickly.

Area 3: Mostly impressive, a few Boos waste time, but others are grabbed quickly to balance it out. The boss battle goes on for about a minute longer than it should, but as it's 45 minutes into a run that's acceptable.

Area 4: He weakens a pair of Boos in the blackout in preparation for getting them a few minutes on, which is a clever piece of planning. All the ghost battles are well done (although there is a Boo which wastes a bit of time, but that's certainly not a mistake that's entirely the runner's fault) and the final boss is beaten in three attacks, which is fine 75 minutes into an attempt.

Accept, undoubtedly.

Quote:
Video quality's fine, no sound on the left audio channel most of the run, done on Hidden Mansion which has some advantages but this is so much better than the current segmented run that it should obsolete it anyway

Quote:
Capture quality
Aside from that audio problem I sent you a big long message about earlier, the picture quality is fine.

Gameplay
I should note right away that the runner starts from a save file that skips the opening cinemas, exploration, and tutorial, unlike the current segmented run. The 100% single-segment speedrun used this method though. Both it and this new run selected the “Hidden Mansion” option. You can also tell by the star in the lower right corner. This means that it’s not quite the same as the old segmented run, in that the vacuum is 1.5 times as powerful, but Luigi takes double damage.

The first noticeable difference in how quickly the runner handles the ghosts compared to the player of the old run. He’s mastered the art of twisting the control stick so that ghosts are sucked up in half the time, including bosses!

The first real ugly mistake of the segmented run is that fight with those two white ghosts in the bathroom. It’s right at the start of the segment, yet he still lets one get away, gets damaged, and gets grabbed. He also gets damaged by the shy guy ghosts and doesn’t vacuum them both up at once in the next room. The new run obviously avoids this.

Oh wow, in the old run, there’s a huge blunder in the mirror room where it takes the player forever to find the Boo hidden in it. He really should have restarted.

Bogmire is a major changing point too. The runner gets him in two phases whereas the player of the old run took five. He also missed a close shot on him at one point.

Oh no, the runner didn’t capture the fat ghost in the bathtub in only one phase. He did get her down to 15 though, and quickly finishes her off. The player of the segmented run actually didn’t get her in one phase either. In fact, it took him three.

Both the segmented speedrun and this one suffer a hit from the brother flying the plane, but the difference is that the newer run recovers quicker and actually takes him out first. The player also missed a shot on the planet in the observatory.

Slim Bankshot is an optional ghost I’m not sure why the runner chooses to get him. He bypassed Mr. Luggs and Biff Atlas, so the only reason I can think of is to get a Boo in the room. The player of the old run actually went after Biff, and screwed it up pretty good.

Ah yes, Boolossus. Here’s a boss that will make any speedrun look bad and probably caused countless restarts. Given the way this fight progresses especially with all the “screw you” programmed into the last few ghosts, it’s the best it could have gone I guess.

Holy crap, this new run’s Clockwork Soldier battle beats the crap out of the old run by well over 30 seconds.

The old run beat Sir Weston in four phases and this one does it in three.

The battles with Van Gore’s paintings go very, very well. The player of the old run got bad luck with a lot of them, especially with the green ghosts and the ceiling hangers that bomb him at two points. The runner of this one manages to grab all three masked ghosts at once and suck them in. It’s a rare highlight for sure.
Van Gore himself is also defeated in one phase as opposed to the two it took in the last run.

The final boss goes down in three phases (the minimum) as opposed to the four in the old run. The runner totally destroys King Boo in the second vulnerability stage, allowing an additional one to be skipped.

Timing
Since he starts from a save file that skips the opening stuff, I’m not sure how timing will be handled compared to the old runs, so I timed it from the start of the run and ended it at the final cinema. There’s more control after the final cinema, but it’s just pressing “A” to move past dialogue.
Player control starts at: 448 (0:00:14.933)
“Final boss defeated” cinema starts at: 133301 (1:14.03.362)

Overall time:  1:13:48.429

Importance
The runner has mad sucking skills and the Boo hunting is more successful (you need 40 to face the final boss), and since he doesn’t need to start from the foyer ten times it saves a lot of time too. Even though this run isn’t technically the same category as the segmented one, I think it should replace it anyway. Even without the advantage of the more powerful vacuum, it’s still pretty bad by today’s segmented standards. There’s no way a single segment run shouldn’t obsolete a segmented one that’s almost exactly twenty minutes slower.

Quote:
Verifier: watched the luigi's mansion run
Verifier: first off, it's not a direct improvement over the any% run
Verifier: it's a hidden mansion run, or sort of a ng+ thing, where you take more damage but suck up ghosts faster
Verifier: it also automatically skips the intro and training section
Verifier: i'm not sure exactly how much faster this category is, but given that it's SS and I don't think it's over 13 minutes faster, i'd have it obsolete marsh's segmented run regardless
Verifier: the run itself is pretty good
Verifier: it has bad luck on the boos, but i'm _pretty sure_ that's guaranteed
Verifier: and he makes sure to get all of the easy-to-catch boos in the earlier portions of the game
Verifier: also has bad luck on the third boss, but fuck that thing
Verifier: the runner clearly knows what he's doing, making sure to be at the spawn points for chests before they appear and stuff like that
Verifier: he sucks up most ghosts in one round, including some of the harder boos
Verifier: verdict: accept
Verifier: for what it's worth, the intro section that the hidden mansion skips runs from ~0:35/6 to 4:23 in marsh's current run, and i'm pretty sure the extra vacuum power isn't enough to make up the difference, esp. since, going by this gamefaqs guide, the extra power doesn't apply to boos

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run might be on a slightly different mode than the current any%, but being over 10 minutes faster and single-segment means this run still obsoletes the old run.
Thread title:  
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Good job.  Getting rid of Marshmallow's uncharacteristically poor run was going to be my summer project, but I'm glad someone beat me to it (even if it was hidden mansion). 
Master-88
good job. Wink

I have this game too. Its great game.

Thats sad with marshmallow this is maybe his last run in SDA. Hardcore player are drop away in SDA list. He is lost his Banjoa kazooie, Castlevania64, Yoshis islands ID, and so many others world records. He haved most records in SDA some years ago. Also Luigi Mansion was his WR run. That big congrats with you. I´ll look out your run when it is public. Wink
marshmallow still has the all-stars smb3 warpless run

i enjoyed radix's run of this game - i look forward to yours.
Master-88
Oh yeah his SMB 3 warpless run is up and its really nice. Before andrewg will crash it. Maybe he haved some other records too, but most are got beat down.

Marshmallow is one big pearl in SDA history. I really respect with this man. Smiley  As far as i can tell he haved most WR before Tom Votava. Right now marshmallow are lost almost all.  Cry

Thats cool see new runners and new awesome speedruns. Wink Hopefully we never forget old runners, these all are making great job at all.  Smiley
He's also got Bomberman 64, Jet Force Gemini, and Quest 64.
Though I just took out his Bomberman Hero and Chameleon Twist.
Well, I'll make a prediction that the B64 run will be gone sometime next year (;)) and someone will probably go after JFG sometime, but I think he assured himself a long-lasting presence on the site with Q64.
Quote:
but I think he assured himself a long-lasting presence on the site with Q64

I think Shiner brought up this game at some point, so maybe it will go down some day. I actually want to fiddle around with this game as well, because I'm sure Marshmellow's run is improvable.

But even if it was improved, Marsh would still be on the site with his Counter-Strike:Condition Zero runs.

Looking forward to the Luigi's Mansion run btw.
Quote from reg:
Quote:
but I think he assured himself a long-lasting presence on the site with Q64

I think Shiner brought up this game at some point, so maybe it will go down some day. I actually want to fiddle around with this game as well, because I'm sure Marshmellow's run is improvable.

But even if it was improved, Marsh would still be on the site with his Counter-Strike:Condition Zero runs.

Looking forward to the Luigi's Mansion run btw.

I tried to get my brother to do it since he's quite familiar with the game but he just can't get into the speedrunning mindset, and I've got other non-marshmallow projects in mind.