--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ZeldaLinkToThePast.html

Philippe 'Wak' Brisson's run

Verifier Responses

Note: Some of the verifier responses mention missing sound in segment 17. The problem has since been fixed.

Quote:
Segmented run comments: (Not too hard to figure out...)

Segment 1. Having the enemies away from your path can be very annoying sometimes. You'll have to expect that it isn't always great. Not much to say about it really, he did good.

Segment 2. Always nice to see the "skeleton trick" being done. Was a little bit fast to shoot the arrow, it's often good to be fast, but not too fast :).
Armos knight fight was good. Arrow spamming FTW.
I wonde

Segment 3. This segment sucks and is improveable by at least one minute. Or not,

Segment 4. Not easy to get a perfect Lanmolas fight, the only thing for sure is where they appear at the start. But after that, you are doomed. Good segment overall.

Segment 5. Oh no, not the playboy bunny. Not much to say. Moldorm is another sucky boss, bomb boost went smooth. Even though it could have been made faster by simply lying the bomb while walking up to the hole, and then stand in position. Like 2 seconds faster perhaps. But I might be too evil as well.

Segment 6. Another short segment due to save warping. Master using it and you can have this.

Segment 7. Two failed shots from Agahnim, which made the fight slower than the single segment run. Wouldn't have been a bad idea to try the segment some more. As the rest in it isn't hard to do. But getting a perfect battle sure isn't easy, so whatever.

Segment 8. Quite a lot of minor mistakes in this segment. First key room, shooting the switch, item switching. Nothing major however... Boss wasn't too bad, I hate it.

Segment 9. Haha, I love when Hinox are killing enemies. As he stated in his comments: The long corridor with the moving floor is the main place for improvements. Running through there needs perfect position because of the spikes and the enemeis will have to be out of your path, which never happens basically... Only in TASes they may be =P.

Segment 10. First room wasn't a huge success. It took me over a week to do, but he handled it in 20 seconds. Still improveable however. Boss wasn't bad either.

Segment 11. Sounds like he turned up the volume for this segment. Another "Collect-item/s-then-save-warp" segments. Not much to say, so I'll be quiet (Which is quite easy to be as I'm just writing)

Segment 12. ^

Segment 13. To position yourself for the bomb boost isn't an easy task. As both the bomb and Link must be at the right place. I had this idea for a long time and it's nice to see it in action. Very good.
Doing a spin attack at the boss wouldn't have been a bad idea, but yeah...

Segment 14. So he decided to not use the block glitch at the two last torches... Oh well =P.
And again, no spin attack during the boss. It is very easy to do a double hit with the spin attack against the eyes, so why not use it?

Segment 15. Dungeon went very well. Nothing to comment on here! The part with the American Fairy went good as well.

Segment 16. Time for a long segment with two badass dungeons. Got a bit unlucky with the Bow Wows' movement. Rest of the dungeon was good despite the small mistakes.
Ganon's Tower isn't bad either. The only challenge is basically to kill the enemies fast enough. But as their movement is random, as always, it isn't always easy to kill them fast. Using the Ether is a safer way to do it, even though he should have used the Cane of Somaria against the last Wizzrobes instead, as it isn't a hard tactic to do.
Really close to a 3 round Agahnim fight, but again: Agahnim is a jerk. Well done!

Segment 17. IT'S THE FINAL SEGMENT! But where has the sound gone? :O
Very nice battle. I like that he managed to do the torch glitch to save some time!

Overall. This run is very well made. He managed to use a several tricks that the TAS used, which isn't always easy obviously. Audio and video is fine all way through to the end as I couldn't get the sound in the last segment to work.
We'll see if I'll ever try to improve this run myself, but that will probably not be too soon.
Accept!

Quote:
Video/Audio Quality: very good.  I actually think they polished up quite a few of the sprites for the PAL release (unless this is just a better encoding quality).  Also, the font is easier to read (even if I can't read French.)

No Cheating detected, no segmented inconsistencies.

Overall: The run is very well planned, using most of the current SS route to full effect with some slight changes.  Save warping is used to save time in most cases.

Segment 1: Everything is done well during the opening sequence.  A rat decides to stop right in front of Link before the end of the segment.

Segment 2: Only kills two skeletons in the invisible skeleton room.  During the trip to the sage, take bottom route?

Segment 3: Short and sweet grabbing the book

Segment 4: Very nice boss fight.

Segment 5: The level was very well done, although the boss could have been a second or two faster.

Segment 6: Uses some save warping to cut down the time to the Master Sword.

Segment 7: Level is is very good with some bad luck on the boss.

Segment 8: Another solid level with a fairly good boss fight.  I'm not sure the hammer is much faster than some well placed bombs.

Segment 9: I like the square (font error?) character where the 'W' should be on the compass. Good level and boss fight.

Segment 10: Here's a time segmenting actually costs about 10 seconds to get back to the next dungeon.  He makes it up with a good rush to the boss and fight compared to the SS, but maybe this segment should have been combined with the last?

Segment 11 and 12: Good route for item collection and well executed.

Segment 13: This is where things start to really go out of order compared to the current SS run.  The shortcut used saves nearly a minute and a half.  Boss fight is good.

Segment 14: Good level that corrects a key choice mistake in the SS that was pointed out by the author comments. Excellent boss fight.

Segment 15: Good level with a slightly unlucky boss fight.  Good use of location by choosing this for the last dungeon and then picking up the huge bomb.

Segment 16: Nicely done final crystal dungeon and boss fight.  A couple of unlucky miniboss fights in Ganon's tower and then a good one.  Aghanim could have gone a little luckier, but it's still good.

Segment 17: Finishing up the game nicely and watch the ending.

Accept as a very solid run.

Quote:
AV quality is good, no cheating.

The runner's planning and execution are solid. There are no major errors as should be expected in a segmented run and there was only one segment which I thought the runner should have improved. Here are my comments for each segment:

Segment 1: Very clean good use of the boomerang and avoiding random enemies, getting hit by the mouse at the end is acceptable given that it costs 1 second or so and the segment is otherwise flawless.

Segment 2: Very impressive boss fight and in one of the early rooms the runner kills the enemies seemingly before they spawn, sick timing. Another solid segment with a few minor errors.

Segment 3: Getting the Book of Mudora, short and sweet.

Segment 4: Very clean run up to the boss and a solid boss fight given how random and difficult this particular boss is.

Segment 5: Damage boost is very nice, and the segment is smooth with only a small amount of time lost to the boss.

Segment 6: Master Swoooooord.

Segment 7: Runner could repeat this segment until he got 6 of 6 or even 6 of 7 big balls vs. Aghanim but that is kind of nitpicking. The segment is very clean and just comes down to randomness of the boss which can be controlled for in a segmented run but I do not know how many attempts it would take to get 6/6 or 6/7, I am guessing quite a few. It might be worth it to save the 11 seconds the runner claims to have lost here, but I leave that up to the discretion of the runner.

Segment 8: A few minor miscues but nothing unacceptable. Boss fight is pretty strong given the difficulty level of the boss.

Segment 9: Boss fight is impressive and the stuff leading up to that is all good.

Segment 10: This is the only segment I had a problem with. For a segmented run it is a tad bit sloppy and it is short enough that it could be redone and improved without an unreasonable amount of effort. The runner clearly has the skills to improve this and I think that this was the only segment in the run that they did not push hard enough.

Segment 11 & 12: Standard easy stuff executed properly.

Segment 13: Man, this segment makes the run. Runner annihilates the ice palace using the new damage boost trick which allows you to skip most of the dungeon. Awesome segment.

Segment 14: Another tough dungeon decimated by the runner, and then OMG boss beatdown to the max.

Segment 15: When the runner mentioned that this was the "most fluid segment" they were not lying. This segment is basically flawless and even when the runner gets hit a few times it is completely irrelevant and costs no time. I believe the best phrase to describe the runner in this segment would be "in the zone." Nice rupee route too since the runner has 0 rupees left after making his final purchase of the big bomb.

Segment 16: Probably the most difficult segment performed very well. I do not think the runner gives themself enough credit for how good this segment really is. Along with segment 13 this segment is the strongest.

Segment 17: Gannon gets pwned. Good execution + not too much teleporting = speedrunning victory.

Overall the run was very well planned and executed. It was enjoyable and entertaining and even had a few surprises. The runner really made good use of tricks/glitches especially in many of the later dungeons. My verdict is auto accept based on segments 13-17 alone. Of course the rest of the segments are up to snuff as well.  Eagerly awaiting the single segment follow up to this.

Quote:
i accepted it.  the save-quits to segment all have the side effect of teleporting link where he wants to go, the additional new tricks besides that are all nice, and there are no significant mistakes.

Quote:
I want to congratulate Wak for a beautifull speedrun, i liked all the tricks used in this speedrun.

Some mistakes here and there, but anyway the run is acceptable in mi opinion.

Veredict: Accept

Also i have some questions:

Segment 5:
Why you didn't used the Pegasus Shoes when the old man follows you?, I remember that i used them without any problems.
Also, it's necessary to do a Spin Attack before putting the bomb? Just Asking.

Segment 15:
Why didn't you used the Staff of Somaria to create a block instead of pulling that statue?

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a tight run with almost no mistakes.

P.S. If you're anticipating the SS run, it's not coming. The runner accidentally erased his DVD. Sad It's on his youtube channel though.
welcome to the machine
Quote:
Segment 15:
Why didn't you used the Staff of Somaria to create a block instead of pulling that statue?

If you're talking about what I think you are (latter part of the... uh, Hookshot Palace, after getting the hookshot), I asked TSA that very same question after I saw his run.  Turns out, the somaria blocks explode automatically once they're offscreen, and the door he needs to get through is too far away.  He would end up placing the block, then going for the door, but the block would explode before he gets there.

Quote:
Why you didn't used the Pegasus Shoes when the old man follows you?, I remember that i used them without any problems.

I'm 99% sure you can't.  Seriously. Sad
0-10
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote:
i accepted it.  the save-quits to segment all have the side effect of teleporting link where he wants to go, the additional new tricks besides that are all nice, and there are no significant mistakes.

Ahhh, a death run, huh? (LttP counts save-quits as deaths, btw).
Not a walrus
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Quote:

I'm 99% sure you can't.  Seriously. Sad

From what I remember, you can use them, but you don't move any faster than walking speed because the guy can't keep up.
(user is banned)
About segment 10, someone said I lost time because I save quit between the midgets that gives me the 3rd sword and dungeon 3. But even in a single segment run I use the flute to get from point A to B. It's faster.
I lost some time on the first room because of nazi zombies. They're hard -to- unavoidable if you want to be fast.

So basically, instead of running from the house to get outside and do dungeon 3, I save quit, which takes the same time as leaving. On my next segment I put myself on death mountain because it takes the shortest to go outside and use the flute. So technically, I maybe lost a second maximum.

The old man sucks and if you dash attack it goes even slower than if you just walk.

I've done a SS of 1:36, with same gameplay as in my youtube run, but I wonder if I'll keep it. I only lost time against the first aghanim and ganon.
EDIT: Oh, yeah, and a death on ganon that cost me 30 seconds. But hey, there's a death in many runs and they're awesome anyway, look at the donkey kong country 2 run.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Wak:
About segment 10, someone said I lost time because I save quit between the midgets that gives me the 3rd sword and dungeon 3. But even in a single segment run I use the flute to get from point A to B. It's faster.
I lost some time on the first room because of nazi zombies. They're hard -to- unavoidable if you want to be fast.

So basically, instead of running from the house to get outside and do dungeon 3, I save quit, which takes the same time as leaving. On my next segment I put myself on death mountain because it takes the shortest to go outside and use the flute. So technically, I maybe lost a second maximum.

That was me, and I timed it from when you got the third sword to when you first entered the dungeon.  I don't think you did anything else in between.  I compared it to the same place in the SS and it was 10 seconds (not counting the time when you're loading the game of course) slower since he used a different route in the dark woods.

Also, I'm glad that you're still going to do a SS run since mike made it sound like you wouldn't record another one, at least that's how I read it.
(user is banned)
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Quote from Wak:

That was me, and I timed it from when you got the third sword to when you first entered the dungeon.  I don't think you did anything else in between.  I compared it to the same place in the SS and it was 10 seconds (not counting the time when you're loading the game of course) slower since he used a different route in the dark woods.

Also, I'm glad that you're still going to do a SS run since mike made it sound like you wouldn't record another one, at least that's how I read it.

I just took a look at TSA's run and I must admit that I never noticed this change... Oh well, if I ever restart I'll make sure to not forget about following this path!