Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2010-08-24 06:17:44 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: oh, completely forgot, knytt verification
Verifier: it's a really good run, and if we're going to have a 'without warps' category I'd say accept
Verifier: but I don't think the category is really merited, strikes me as something like LoZ with no whistle warps or something like that
Verifier: and the warps can save enough time that not using them is a reject, plan and simple
Verifier: really hope the runner draws up a warp route though, as this run is really good, only a couple tiny mistakes

Quote:
Well first off I have to say that I'm a bit impressed with how little mistakes there are in this run. The only ones that I noticed were a few missed jumps that cost about a second or so.

The time that I got was 15:06.20 which is a bit impressive, but sadly the run can be improved by about 2-3 minutes so I must reject this run.

As for my own comment to the runner. Please don't take this the wrong way, but use it to improve the run greatly.

This is really the main reason for rejection, if you don't want to read any other responses.

Quote:
I'm replying to all for a reason.  Check my work. Tongue

First, I'd like to congratulate the runner on his remarkable execution.  I only saw a few errors over the course of the run.  I would like to accept this run.

Unfortunately, I can't, because I noticed that the route didn't take any warps.  Considering how many warps there are in the game, that was a bit surprising.  I found my old copy of the game's world map (and apparently the source I got it from is dead, so it's no wonder the runner didn't know about the secrets).  I spent a few hours today playing the game again, scribbling over the map to denote where the warps take you and where the invisible passages are, and doing some ad-hoc route planning.

Reading the map is simple.  I've drawn in yellow lines to denote invisible passages.  There's a bunch of passages that I didn't mark on the bottom row of the map, but they should all be obvious.  Warps are lettered in red.  If a warp has a > next to its letter, that means it's one way.  X> is the source, >X is the destination.

The link is here: http://www.filefront.com/17138226/Full_map_warps.png/
I can also upload a clean unlabelled version if anyone wants it.

Anyways, after a few hours of planning and a few trial runs, I got a time of 12:13 (compared to the run's ~15:05 or so).  The 12:13 is pretty bad; for example, I messed up the last jump that could be messed up and had to spend 20 or so secs getting back up in the clouds.  It can go down a lot further (maybe 11:20-30?), but as a proof of concept its job is done.  I'm not fully satisfied with the route either, but it's the best I can come up with right now.  Here's hoping someone tries to improve it.

Code:
Get the first item, same as in the run
Take warp A
Get Castle Item 1, in the top-right corner
Take warp B (some tricky platforming involved here)
Get East Desert Item 1
Get East Desert/Gold Spikes Item 2
Take warp C
Go down one screen, get Swamp Item
Head west, over the mountain (one of my favorite things about this route is that you never have to mess with the minecart or spider in the swamp area)
Get Underground Item
Head west, past the west desert, through the mountain, onto the clouds, get Cloud Item 1
Drop straight down, get Sewer Item
Take warp A again
Get Castle Item 2
Go through the secret passage to the left of the spider, head right, get Purple Block Area Item
Take warp F
Take warp G
Get Cloud Item 2
End the game

Lastly, audio/video quality seemed ok.  Xvid was struggling with the higher-than-normal video size, but this was just a -v copy, so whatever.  Sound quality was fine.

tl;dr: I can't accept this run as is, but I really hope  the runner improves it.  Smiley

p.s. a while ago I made a maxrun/lowgrav route, but I couldn't get Camtasia to record at an acceptable quality and was just lazy.  If anyone would like to see that (and get Mike to make an exception to the no-cheats rule, since this really ends up as more of an alternate game mode than a cheat and it changes so much), I'd be happy to recreate it.

I talked to the runner about the route, and this is the conversation we had.

Quote:
me: oh um
me: there's something else
Runner: yes ?
me: yeah sorry I forgot
me: yeah it had something to do with the route
me: except I can't find the pm
me: oh here
me: (Link: http://www.filefront.com/17138226/Full_map_warps.png/)http://www.filefront.com/17138226/Full_map_warps.png/
me: map someone made with a new route
Runner: alright, I'll look at.
me: well apparently the game has one world map
me: and the warps take you back and forth through places
me: which is different from smb and battletoads
me: where the warps skip full levels
me: [18:45] <Verifier> anyways, i can't get to the pm right now either, but i'm pretty sure the route is
[18:45] <Verifier> first item as usual, warp a, top-right castle item, warp b
[18:45] <Verifier> both east desert items, warp c
[18:46] <Verifier> fall down one screen, swamp item, head left and skip the minecart/swamp area
[18:47] <Verifier> get the next few items backwards, then after the sewer item hit warp a again, then down to the second castle item, and from there to the item in the purple block area next to warp f
[18:47] <Verifier> then warp f, warp g, last cloud item, end the game
Runner: anyway, I'm a bit "shocked" ! I didn't know that the bottom row of the map EXISTS. There are secret passages of that map : I didn't know there was such secrets ! o_O
Runner: I had all planned without taking these areas into account
Runner: so yeah, you're right, because of that, my route is surely a bad one.
me: [18:52] <Verifier> hahah
[18:54] <Verifier> kinda hard to blame him, since a lot of them are well hidden, although i'm surprised he didn't find any at all
[18:55] <Verifier> plus the map seems to have disappeared from the web
Runner: thanks Verifier for being comprehensive ;). But because of all these areas, I find that the game loses a bit of his charm !
Runner: anyway it's also a clear reject for my run. We're fixed.
me: okay glad to have sorted that out

Decision: Reject

Reason: The execution is great, but the route is bad.

As always, the run is available for a month, just PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
Thank you very much for verifying.

Some words concerning the two reasons behind the rejection :

1) No warps --> I don't use Ctrl-R because I simply had forgotten about that possibility. And I understand that making a special category for a "no warps" run would be irrelevant for an official speedrun.
2) No secret passages --> I didn't know at all that there were such secrets in the game. I had noticed of course, when I was creating my giant map for planification, that some areas were missing ; but I thought it was deliberate, so that the game world become more exotic/mysterious and the player can imagine the content of the areas that he can't reach (Knytt being a game purely based on immersion). To be honest, I was a bit disappointed to discover these new areas : not because it contributes to reject my run, but because the game loses - in my opinion - a lot of his charm.

When Mike told me that my run didn't pass because my route was bad, I was a bit curious/anxious. But I am somehow relieved that the route was "bad" because of the absence of (1) warping and (2) use of secret passages. I comfort myself by thinking that my route is still perfect, but for a very restrictive category of runs (= no warps & no secret passages), which would probably have its place in the "Casual speedrunning" section of the forum. Smiley

Concerning the execution, it was not obvious (wall jumps are a bit tricky to master) but still a lot easier than for a game like Jumper. Wink

So thank you again for your comments. I totally agree with them, but I won't try a new run of this game in the near future. Plus I have other games to complete, more important to my eyes than this one.
#Casual
If such rejection is the case, did you check the internet for any speed tricks, glitches or anything before you started your route?
Well, I didn't envisage that this game could have secrets or speed tricks (except for the accelerated climbing).
I just verified if there was a "FAQ" on GameFAQs. There wasn't, and I didn't search for anything else.
#Casual
Some advice:

1. You should also start a thread dedicated to the game if you plan on speedrunning a game.  This way you can at least give the community a chance to help you with tricks, shortcuts, and routes.

2. Also, with a game like Knytt that doesn't have many people really looking for glitches and shortcuts, you should spend some time (at least a couple of weeks or a month) trying to "break" the game and find those.
welcome to the machine
Quote from Arcanod:
1) No warps --> I don't use Ctrl-R because I simply had forgotten about that possibility. And I understand that making a special category for a "no warps" run would be irrelevant for an official speedrun.

Doesn't ctrl-r reset your progress?  If I remember correctly, getting an item and then hitting ctrl-r to warp back to a save would remove that item from your inventory.

Also, what program did you use to record?
Quote from VorpalEdge:
Doesn't ctrl-r reset your progress?  If I remember correctly, getting an item and then hitting ctrl-r to warp back to a save would remove that item from your inventory.

That's correct, it's the same as if you died, so not helpful.
Indeed... so warps only refer to the white glowings things located in secret areas.

Quote from VorpalEdge:
Also, what program did you use to record?

Camtasia Studio.