Edit history:
Flip: 2012-11-05 09:28:47 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Any %) (Single Segment) [Time Attack]

Verifier Responses

Quote from Verifier 1:
A few general notes to start off with:
- I'm not very familiar with how the game pages are set up, but this game is just called Klonoa (for Wii). Door to Phantomile was the original PS1 title, but judging from youtube video's, there are some notable differences beyond the graphical update.
- This is not an Any%, nor is this a Single Segment run. It's the "Time Attack" mode which only includes the 7 boss fights and is thus more of an IL thing.
(- personal note: I was really hoping for an Any% =(Make It Happen Sir VG!)

Comments:
Overall very good play and great times. Most of these fights look very tight to perform!
It's hard for me to even come close to these time attacks.

No cheating
A/V is good, video quality is not great but i'm guessing these are LQ encodes?

Decision: Accept

Quote from Verifier 2:
Hmm a time attack huh?  that will make this verification go much faster.

Anyway, the runs were as straightforward as you can get in regards of these boss fights.  Compliments on the 2nd boss fight for good throws, those can be hard to do, especially when trying to rush through as the runner did. Same can be said for the 4th boss, in which looks like it was completely optimized out considering how the runner actually matche dhis previous best time that was set in the runner's game.

Now the 5th boss fight (Joker) was one that was a bit hard to say on since there were times I felt as though something was off, but at the same time, there isn't much you can do about it, as the runner pointed out in the comments.  I thought he missed a throw, but looking back on it, the throw actually bounced off the boss, so there was little that could have been done there, and the runner did get another throw right as that animation stopped. It was still a great time that was set.

I also noticed that near the end of the 6th fight, the runner did get hit, and might have cost a second, but again it was a great run, especially counting a skip in a phase the runner did.

Outside of a few nitpicks, it is a performance that is always fun to watch from this runner.  A pretty straightforward and easy accept.

Quote from Verifier 3:
Rongo Lango - nicely done.
Evil Seadoph and Pamela - solid, good grabs of Seadoph off of Pamela.
Gelg Bolm - professionally handled.
Baladium - as evidenced by the previous best time, this is the best time.
Joker - that guy's an ass. The failed rebound shot cost less than a second, and everything else was efficient so I think we're good here.
Ghadius - smart management of enemies to throw at Ghadius, very fast kill.
Nahatomb - Oi, tedious fight. Very well planned by the runner, and quite well executed.

No cheating, other than that strong sense of rhythm. The runner is clearly a percussionist, not a gamer.

Accept!

Quote from Verifier 4:
One note about this run. The runner improved all of the ILs, so click on the new link in the first post and reverify. Sorry about wasting your time with the first batch.

Quote from Flip:
Beat me to it! Yes please reverify using the new vids.

Quote from Verifier 1 again:
Faster times, same decision.

Accept!

Quote from Verifier 2 again:
Second verse same as the first.

Accept.

Quote from Verifier 3 again:
I'm fine with the runner submitting these again within such a short time period. Improvements happen, and it's hardly any trouble when I get an excuse to watch more Klonoa. Smiley

Rongo Lango -
Haha, what a silly improvement. But it works! Well executed.

Evil Seadoph -
I'm glad to see the runner learned to hit Pamela on the same jump as the leap-out-of-water. I should have noticed this wasn't present in the first attempt (this trick was discussed on the Klonoa Fanclub Forum time attack topic a long time ago, takes a fair amount of practice to execute consistently). Great improvement over the previous time.

Gelg Bolm -
Better execution leads to slight improvement, very solid time.

Baladium -
I'm assuming this is still the same, since the time was the same as the previous best. I'd love to see anyone improve this by even one hundredth of a second.

Joker -
Aha! There's the Huepoe/Huepow rhythms! Good job not missing any shots, makes me feel even better about accepting. I think it *may* have been possible to get the last hit a little earlier (hindsight 20/20, I wasn't playing, etc), but still an impressive time.

Ghadius -
Again, good management of enemies to kill Ghadius quickly. Impressive accuracy on the annoying triangle spin attack. A whole 2 seconds shaved off of the previous (already good) best time from better execution. Commendable!

Nahatomb -
I still hate this long fight. YAY, MORE RHYTHMIC BOBBING! Certainly better than the snare line two years ago at a school that shall remain unnamed...

Back on topic of the speedrun itself, I'm still quite happy at your planning and positioning. One minor hit that I'm guessing was unintentional, but it did not cost much time. Also, considering the length of this fight, it certainly isn't something to reset or reject the run for.

Another minor hit in stage 2, but it did not cost ANY time as the weak point wasn't available to be hit yet.

Form 3 goes well with another hit that doesn't seem to cost any time.

I'm impressed that you shaved off an entire 15 seconds from your previous attempt.

As usual, audio/video are good, no cheating detected, and the times are correctly listed ingame and in the titles.

Accept!

Quote from Verifier 4 again:
A/V quality: Looks great. I'd really like to see these runs in HQ, I bet they'll look fantastic.

Cheating: Nope.

Most of these battles look optimized, and I don't think there's a lot of time to shave on any of them except maybe for Ghadius. It's interesting to see how some of the boss fights were improved over some of the previous versions.

Anyway, my only reservation with the ILs is that the Ghadius fight looked a little slow. There was an enemy the runner could have thrown during the first phase that the runner passed up, and I'm not sure why. Aside from that fight, the runs look tight and I accept these ILs.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Nicholas 'Sir VG' Hoppe!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2012-11-05 11:07:50 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote:
The runner is clearly a percussionist, not a gamer.

I did play in band at school, but not as a percussionist (I was a tuba player). I did do some percussion work at an orchestra one winter, but nothing too major.

Thanks to all the verifiers for watching things twice. The verification videos were NQ. The HQ and IQ vids look AMAZING. Trust me. Smiley

Quote:
Anyway, my only reservation with the ILs is that the Ghadius fight looked a little slow. There was an enemy the runner could have thrown during the first phase that the runner passed up, and I'm not sure why. Aside from that fight, the runs look tight and I accept these ILs.

The setup for Ghadius HAS to be very specific. Here's why. (BRACE YOURSELVES! LONG EXPLANATION COMING!)

If Ghadius is hit 3 times during the first phase of his attacks, he switches to phase 2, where the enemies are tails on 3 "meteors". This phase is VERY slow and is skipped via the setup I use. I can hit Ghadius 2 times and grab a third enemy, but the enemy has to be one of the last two on the spiral chain. If it is any earlier, he has a chance of doing a swipe and blocking it, thus meaning I can only get 6 hits off, which means his life bar is high enough to still trigger the phase 2 setup. I NEED 7 hits to send him to phase 3, where I get all 3 enemies for the kill.

The other thing in regards to him starting a new spiral or beginning phase 3 is that all of the enemies/dud spheres have to have hit the ground or been popped (or in the case of enemies, the last one can be in hand). So it's beneficial that in phase 1 the enemy is last in the first spiral and NOT last in the 2nd one.

So there's your explanation. I hope that answers your question as to why I fought Ghadius as I did.

Quote:
- I'm not very familiar with how the game pages are set up, but this game is just called Klonoa (for Wii). Door to Phantomile was the original PS1 title, but judging from youtube video's, there are some notable differences beyond the graphical update.

There are some definite differences in the physics, as I've seen in the TAS. Evil Seadoph's room is missing the center and Evil Pamela I believe can be hit w/o needing to wait for her to jump. There's definitely enough differences IMO to be different games.

Quote:
(- personal note: I was really hoping for an Any% =(Make It Happen Sir VG!)

Someday, I hope to. I've done a few, it's just a matter of making a run work with all these boss strats in one go.