1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/KirbyDreamLand.html

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Decision:
Accept

Reason:
I've been trying to get this record myself for a few months on and off, and I've only managed a 12:17 at best. The biggest reason for this is most certainly the boss rng. The fact that you can gain upwards of 15 seconds on both Kracko fights and on the DeDeDe fight makes running this a real pain. So although the levels themselves may need a slight bit of optimization, I'm willing to let it slip due to the obscene luck this run gets.

Good Job Bangerra. (Also Nice to see you using my poppy bros. senior positioning in green greens XP)

Timed at 11:50

Quote:
Decision: Accept

Reason: Despite the few moments of sloppiness, the run was overall very well executed.  The little bit of sloppiness was explained as part of the lag of the GB Player, so I am letting it slide.

Good job, bangerra!

Timed at 11:50 as well.

Quote:
Ok, I watched the run. A/V is good, and aside from accepting it for obsoleting the current SDA record, I'm accepting it because HOW DO YOU GET LUCK THAT GOOD WTF!!!!! Any time lost in stages practically doesn't matter because who is ever going to get this lucky again?

Quote:

Reason: A/V is good, a bit of sloppiness sometimes but nothing really bad. Stage 4 (the hardest of them all) is near perfect, really impressive. Time could be improve by about 10/15 sec with an overall optimization like trdef said, but you will need as loooot of luck as Bangerra got. The boss rng is a real pain in the ass for anybody who wants to run this game, but that's why 20 years after i still play this game !

Got also a 11:50 time.

Quote:
Worse execution overall, but better boss luck. Not the prettiest improvement to hit the site, but since the art of speedrunning contains both part skill and part luck I guess it's acceptable.
Audio is way loud in the verification video btw.

Congratulations to Dave 'bangerra' Janssens!
Thread title:  
Big thanks to all you guys, including the SDA team for the helpfull support on my first SDA run!

I'll definitely try to improve this if the Kirby 20th anniversary collection comes out for Wii.
Hopefully that version will be lag-free =)
hello there
Nice job!

I'm somewhat relieved to see someone finally taking my run down. I always felt I could have done a lot better, but I lost my patience and submitted something that I wasn't totally happy with... mostly because the boss RNG was driving me crazy, but also because I was naively eager to get a speedrun out there.

Speaking of which, I don't know if you saw in my comments, but I had this theory that you could manipulate those seemingly "random" behaviour patterns by standing in very specific spots during boss battles. It was probably just wishful thinking, but maybe it's something worth looking into if you're doing an improvement.

I might have a shot at it myself. I highly doubt it considering my track record with following through on projects, though. Sad
ActRaiser is Da Best!
Staralfur, thats something I've played with a bit, and with exception to the first miniboss ive found nothing.
Edit history:
bangerra: 2012-06-17 12:44:12 pm
Even when some bosses are possible to manipulate, they still won't give you a predictable pattern.
Your Poppy Sr. strat also only works like 60% of the time (which is better than the usual chances though :p).
And DDD.. yeah I'll prolly never be that lucky again.
Other than that this is still improvable by a considerable amount if you can sit through 1000's of bad pattern attemps.