Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-05-03 11:18:47 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

'Chunkey Simmons' run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Not sure, but I think KA & Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine are the same game but for different platforms, though I find DRMBM a bigger pain in the ass.  Awesome run, accept.

Quote:
The average time per enemy was 35.6 seconds.  For anyone who's played this, that says more than enough.  Accept

BTW, I'm pretty sure it's spelled Kabu.

Quote:
oh, the tales i could tell you of doing attempts of this game for 10 hours in one day. the tales of horror i could spin !!!

this is possibly the biggest bitch of a puzzle game you could choose to speedrun. there are so many elements of luck that come into play every single round, and one bad instance of luck can plop an extra 15+ seconds on your stage time. this is all on top of the game being difficult to play at a high level consistently. simply put, the only reason the puyo engine should have a speedrun on SDA is as a tribute to the game's excellence otherwise.

this run beats my short-lived submission by 4 seconds. the run is incredibly lucky, and the play is, on the whole, acceptable, but not stellar. i don't like a fair amount of the runner's chaining decisions and he generally chooses which actions to take more slowly than it is possible to do so. his play is not as efficient as it can be. however, the good luck that the runner receives offsets these facts. i'll do a quick rundown of the stages.

1 - big poppy bro
somewhat inefficient, but 34 is ok.

2 - tree
terrible stage, i would've reset here in an instant

3 - rock
well played, got some bad luck though. the guy's 3rd column was empty when the garbage fell.

4 - blob w/ broom
good

5 - Squishay
good

6 - lololo and lalala
pretty good, a little inefficient but holy shit there is no way he shouldn't have gotten screwed by the stray single garbage blocks.

7 - bugzzzzzz
this is an ideal stage - very fast chain setup, enemy's stack is around the middle of his field when the garbage falls. unfortunately these kinds of stages are a dime a dozen when running this game.

8 - pencil rollerblades gay faggot
ok. bit of a slow setup and average luck otherwise.

9 - heavy mooole
bad luck, a single garbage plugs up a spot needed to set off a chain for the first time in the run. pretty good recovery, but still, bad stage

10 - messieurs shine and bright
pretty good

11 - krrRACKO!!!! or, cute little puffy eyeball spike cloud :3
lackluster stage, but at this point in the run pressure is mounting high and it's amazingly easy to throw everything in the trash bin with one wrong placement. so all things considered, ok.

12 - let us all burst out in song and say, metaknight!!!!!!!!
this stage is really a pity, but all too familiar from my attempt sessions of this game. the runner's first chain brings metaknight's field to around 2/3 capacity, but metaknight gets some lucky pieces following that and hangs on fine. the runner is forced to assemble a new chain of considerable size to fully take metaknight out. too bad

13 - king dedede
great job finishing out the run out with a solid 30.

there are definitely some ugly things in this run, but again, the insane luck that the runner got on the whole sways me to an accept. don't think i'm letting this time stand, though.

a/v's good, btw

Decision: Accept

Reason: We finally have a run of a Puyo game. Question, I know Mean Bean Machine and this game are very similar, but is it true that they're basically the same game, category-wise?
Thread title:  
i haven't played mean bean machine, but from watching videos, the engine and physics look pretty much the same, and equivalent stages share the same AI (i.e. stage 2 in both games creates 4 rows of puyos at the beginning of the round, stage 4 in both games builds their end columns to the ceiling at the beginning, etc.) so they should probably be classed as the same category.
Hi, I'm the author of this run.

Cyghfer nailed it. It's far from being a good run, but it's passable. Like cyghfer himself said, I only submitted it to get the verification process rolling with this game. It will challenge other people to try and beat cyghfer and I's speedruns. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets beaten within a month. Of course, I'll still be throwing attempts. Tongue

And I played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, it's Kirby's Avalanche with Sonic characters. The only difference is that the last boss (Dr. Robotnik) is not present on the character menu until after you beat the runner up (Scratch). Another minor difference is that in the options menu, the difficulty selections loops so that if you were to press right too many times, it will revert back to the easy setting rather than stay at very hard. That is so annoying!

Oh, and if it's not too late, you can replace Chunkey Simmons with my real name. I was skeptical at first since I have a bad rep on the Internet. Plus like George from Seinfeld would say, the two worlds can't collide.
Quote from pojr:
Oh, and if it's not too late, you can replace Chunkey Simmons with my real name. I was skeptical at first since I have a bad rep on the Internet. Plus like George from Seinfeld would say, the two worlds can't collide.

Lol, a bit paranoid are we? Tongue

Anyway, grats.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Okay, if you want me to replace Chunkey with your real name, I'll need a real name to replace it with. Tongue
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2011-05-08 06:42:36 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
Richard, obviously...

I really don't know... hehe
Neh it's not Richard. I'm sending you a PM mik. I'm still a little skeptical but I'll deal with it.
Edit history:
Zealie: 2011-05-10 10:23:33 am
Quote from pojr:
Neh it's not Richard. I'm sending you a PM mik. I'm still a little skeptical but I'll deal with it.

JUSTIN BIEBER?

[edit] ok sorry I'll stop Sad
Exoray
You know, you could just put "pojr". Real name is not mandatory since a few years back.