1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/KirbySuperStar.html

Alex 'Anwonu' Morinaga's Meta Knightmare Ultra single-segment run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
What is it about the anti-heros that makes us want to play them so much?  I mean, who doesn't want to be Metaknight and completely destroy everything in your path?  Well the runner didn't hold back during his rampage.  Of course, this being a DS game, we are only focused on the top screen, whereas the bottom is cut out.  Of course, we aren't missing much since it only displays the Health bar and powers, and we aren't interested in that at all.

Level 1: Besides one hit, the runner completely ran through everyone.  King dedede didn't stand a chance.

Level 2: I noticed that one hit that cost the runner a bit of time from the Gordo and the first time in the run where the runner went critical (thanks the the "low HP" icon and the flashing red metaknight prompt) but the runner kept going to destroy Dynablade.

Level 3: The great cave offensive was more like a great frontal assault.  The runner admits mistakes during this part, but frankly it looked no different than the other mistakes he made earlier (which were very few anyway) and the fights were still quick.  Each boss fight was done nicely, even avoided the splash from Mr. Fatty Whale.  I can understand why the runner didn't make use of the mach tornado since he spent most points towards running there, and as he pointed out, speeding up the boss fight against the heavy lobster.

Level 4: This was a pleasure to watch since we see the runner giving a performance that completely outdoes the first level.  I didn't see the runner make any mistakes, and if there were, I probably missed them since the good heavily outdoes the bad.

Level 5: final level going through Milky Way Wishes and again the runner makes good use of the skills.  Did notice a slight slip up during the first part when the Wheel enemy slowed down the runner, but then now I'm just being picky.  However, he did actually slip up during the 2nd fight with fatty whale.  Normally the "Getting launched" always happens, but seeing how the runner took it out a few minutes again, I can't help be put that out.  Then the slight slip up as well on hotbeat.  Now that I think of it, level 5 did cause a bit of problems for the runner.

As for that pause, I'll leave that up to the other verifiers since I didn't see a problem with the pause.  As we all know, recording a DS run isn't easy, and the quality here is great.  I did notice that slight camera position change, but the audio still stayed the same.  As far as I can tell, I don't see any problems with that slight pause, (as for it that affects the final time, again I don't think so, especially if you have the in game timer anyway.)

Runner also admits he screwed up at the computer virus fight against the magician and evil knight, but slight complications.  As for the final boss fight, great job against the Galacta Knight.  Its hard to say how you are suppose to fight him properly, but I believe the runner did it right.  Just question the ending a bit, after all, he was one hit away from finishing him, but the runner uses the mach tornado one more time.  I forgot if the in-game time freezes when use you it or not, but if not, this just feels like overkill (and not needed since I'm sure by the time the animation would be over, you could have hit him and finished it), if it does freeze time though, then disregard the last sentence.

Overall, the runner did what he needed to do, Show why Metaknight is the most popular character in the Kirby Series.  The game timer said 27:26:66 and I'll stand by the time the game said.  Great job runner, nice to know that games where you play as the anti-hero is on the raise.

Accept...

Quote:
Video Quality- meh. It is hard to do DS games

Problem- Can't see the bottom screen for the micromanagement of points that he does, but oh well.

Level 1- Small mess-up at Bubbly Clouds with a Waddle Dee, nothing big. Small mistake with those blocks, but nothing big there either.

Level 2: One of the worst enemies to run into, a Gordo. Just a bit of a loss. But in the end, a new record for him xD

Level 3: Getting a little sloppy here. Lost good time with that.

Level 4: Time to destroy your own ship. Few enemy hits, about as many as the level before, which is pretty dang good. The power of Mach Tornado is shown here. Another new record~

Level 5: Some minor troubles in the water. Loss of some time. Video changes after Wham Bam Rock. Last star begins to get a little rough as well. Has to heal, took a little longer to beat the two minibosses than it should have. Seemed like a VERY unneccessary Mach Tornado at the end, must have had a reason....?

In the end, even running into all those enemies, the runner got a Sub 28 minute time, which is amazing.

Decision: Accept, even if there are mistakes, it is still a huge feat.

Quote:
Video quality is acceptable, audio is good. I wanted to see the points though, micromanagement gives me such a hard on!

Level 1 - He took out a couple more enemies than he needed to and got hit, overall good.

Level 2 - It looked like he missed a hit against the Chef, but that probably wasn't worth much. Some accidental attacks before Bonkers, but I'm just nitpicking. And of course, the Gordo hit, costing about 3 seconds. Normally getting hit doesn't cost much time in Kirby games, only half a second or so, but Gordos are a-holes. Dynablade went perfectly. He had to save afterwards to heal.

Level 3 - The first couple minutes are sloppy, he got hit 3 times in a row. The rest was pretty good.

Level 4 - Got hit a couple times by the bosses, costing about 6 seconds. Some other minor mistakes, but he made up for it with his beastliness.

Level 5 - Some trouble in the water, wasn't too bad. Fire planet was sexy. Computer Virus could have been much better. Yes, the Mach Tornado at the end was necessary, he said it himself in the video comments; Mach Tornado freezes the timer.

I've been wanting to see a Meta Knightmare speedrun since the game was released, and this does it justice. Despite the mistakes, this is a very good run.

Accept

Quote:
Audio and video look good (As good as you can get with an indirect recording), athough it would have been nice to see both screens.  Nontheless I can understand how annoying it'd be to record both AND play, and the only stuff at the bottom is health and move selection so it's not important per se.

Cheating: Not as far as I can tell.

Level 1 - Spring Breeze Knightmare:
  Seemed pretty good overall!

Level 2 - Dyna Blade Knightmare:
  Part 3 - That was a pretty hilarious gordo colission.  But yeesh they suck when they do that.  A good few seconds lost there
  Everything else - Seems pretty good overall, a few hits here and there like before but nothing too significant.

Level 3 - Great Cave Offensive Knightmare:
  Part 1 was kinda sloppy near the end there, everything else went well though.

Level 4 - Revenge of Meta Knightmare:
  Heavy Lobster mistake, it's already in the comments but it's as bad as the gordo mistake from earlier...  And again with the Iron Mam/Mom/whatever.  Hits here in general seemed a bit more noticable.  Less quality than the first three parts but still good so far.

Level 5 - Milky Way Wishes Knightmare:
  Aquarius - A shame Fatty Whale didn't die in one move here, considering that's the lame move that prolongs things.  Still, fast enough.
  Halfmoon - Computer Virus could have been better, though at least the Great Dragon was one-shotted (Timer freeze or real time, that'd probably be longer without the tornado)
  Galacta Knight went well as well.

Despite minor mistakes abound, it was still a pretty good run.  I would have questioned a few spots regarding the tornado but it's clear to me this run is based not on real time but in-game time.  Anyhow, accept.

Quote:
romscout: I accept this run

P.S. Mike Uyama totally did not write this because romscout was too lazy to actually say anything.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a good run of a new mode. Now we just need 0xwas's runs of the original Super Star.
Thread title:  
that Metroidvania guy
I think that "verifiers need to remain anonymous" rule no longer applies to me with the way these threads are going! Shocked

Anyway, I'll just talk to Anwonu later about the run. It was pretty cool but definitely had more mistakes than I expected for the time.

P.S. we should go for a MKU IL table.
My name is unpronounceable
Well, the anonymity IS mainly while the runs are in verification.  Besides all of the revealed identities were done voluntary.  You even wrote that Uyama didn't write your comment Tongue
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2011-02-15 09:35:47 pm
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Well by all means romscout, you don't have to announce who you are you know... After all, its not like you can easily identify people just by what they typ-

*starts laughing uncontrollably*

I'm sorry, there wasn't going to be anyway I could finish that sentence...  Still, I think it is still good to keep some people a secret unless if they decide to openly to say it...

As for the idea of MKU, that might be tricky since (besides the first stage) you can easily fix it to where you have 30 at the very start... Don't know if that would be a problem, but it would feel like cheating...  But that's just me talking...

Edit to respond to the comment below: True enough... I'm suppose whoever will set up the ILs can help set the rules..
that Metroidvania guy
...but that's the whole point of an IL table and having it be separate from SS. >.>
CHOKES
Thanks everyone for the comments =)
Just to add a few comments here:
-Yes, I played aiming for low in-game timer. Otherwise, I'd probably use a lot less Tornados, and would avoid that last Tornado against Galacta.
-Lv 2: yeah, that Gordo was bad. I usually fly above him, so I can kill that Plasma Wisp without recoil. But I get hit there about.. 20% of the times? =/
-Lv 3: That part where I get hit 3 times is one of my worst parts, actually. I usually get hit at least once somewhere. I don't know exactly why =p, but yeah, it's one of the parts I need to train more.
-Lv 5:
.Hotbeat: I usually get hit at least once. I traind a bit there, but I still get hit =x
.Aquarius/Aqualiss: The 2nd part is one of my worst parts too. Meta Knight goes too high when going out of the water, so I lose a bit of control. At least, I didn't get trapped in Knuckle Joe's attack, which happens sometimes. Also, I mentioned this in IRC once: there's a faster route in that maze part, which I didn't know until after posting the run. Could've saved a few seconds.

For those who wanted to see the points on the lower screen, blame romscout; he suggested that (on IRC) =p; and also, I asked for suggestions on the topic, but no one answered there. Next time, I could maybe try using another camera to record the lower screen and then put the numbers in the comments or something.

If I ever try this run again, I'll probably aim for a sub-27 now, since there were many clear mistakes. I'm pretty sure there are more than 30s in total that can be cut. But don't expect anything too soon from me.

About IL runs: I guess the points at the start of each level (besides the 1st, of course) would be whatever the runner wants. That'd make the run faster, but also a pain to retry, especially the last level =p