List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Keith 'The Quiet Man' Skomorowski's single-segment Riku run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Everything is in order. The video quality is sufficient, there weren't any signs of cheating that I noticed. In terms of speed, there is a bit of navigating the card door menus that seemed longer than they need to be, but considering the acquired cards are a bit random, it's excusable (and the fact that only about a minute could be saved.)

Quote:
To be honest I only played Soras mode in this one, but I read some text regarding the differences in modes to get an idea of Rikus. Turns out its easier and faster, too. You get a set card deck per level, can use boss cards anytime and Dark Mode is awesome. the big big final boss of Sora is also not there.

The run has some parts where it is not that enjoyable, but that is necessary and ok, because he just has to collect cards to open the doors that will come.

He almost always uses the fastest method to enter a fight by first-hitting the enemies which is a good time saver (only 2 fights or so he enters accidentaly and fights).

Commenting on a single level isnt needed, as he mostly rushes through them right to the boss.
The level of play is high and pretty good. He always positions himself in that way that he hits multiple enemies in fights which saves time, too. The boss fights are really quick, especially Ursula with that shoulder trick. He had a tough time on the final boss and Copy Riku and almost died there, but he managed not to.

The lack of sleights for Riku while in normal mode makes up for not having to build a good card deck like Sora, and every fight gives you a door open card because of that, so a Sora run would propably be much slower, although I would like to see one, too Smiley

Its a pretty good and pretty fast run, I couldnt find that much time savers myself, other than the hesitation on which cards to use to open doors (which seems naturally).

Maybe this run should be considered a NG+ run, because this mode is not available until youve beaten Soras mode, the main story mode.

Accept this, please.

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I've been ridiculously busy for the last few weeks, so I keep forgetting to respond. Anyways, I saw the run a few weeks ago and I wanted to give a good detailed review, but I'll just settle for this:

This run of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (Reverse/Rebirth) is a very well planned out and executed. As far as I'm concerned anytime under 1:40:00 is really good and he beats that by an extra 16 and a half minutes. At the end he is only off by about 2 cards and he ends up getting into a few extra battles in the second to last world to make up for that. Only about 6 extra battles are initiated that he ends up running from, and pretty much none of them were his fault, they popped up right where he was walking. In this game you really just want to keep that number to single digits. Not to mention these small problems are almost cancelled out when considering how awesome almost all of his boss fights go. Other than the end of Hades, pieces of the Riku Replica II fight and pieces of the Ansem II fight(the three hardest battles in the game), the boss fights are all about as fast as they can be.

In terms of cheating, I watched the run multiple times and kept a list of what map cards he received from battles throughout the run. He matched up with what cards he used perfectly. So no cheating here or on the battles.

Audio/Visual are really good.

A great run that can only be improved by maybe a few minutes only if somebody were EXTREMELY LUCKY. This run already has more than it's fair share of luck and then some. Not to mention he did this all in a single segment, when the hardest parts of the run aren't even until the 1:17:00 mark of the game(Riku Replica II and Ansem), which even to a skilled player of the game can kill you if you are worrying about killing them fast(which obviously he's trying to do). Overall I would say his ability to pull this off in such a quick amount of time means this run is:

Accepted.

Quote:
OK Here are my notes (sorry for the delay)

2/3 times when I load the vid, the Gameboy screen has reversed colors, then clears.  No other audio or video sync issues (probaly my just player)

Overall, the run was very good.  Slight issues of missed swings when trying to hit enemies or doors and an unusally high number of guard monkeys.

Great strategy of using overdive in normal form.  I had assumed runner would try to break to dark form as quickly as possilbe, as you do more damage and have access to slights.

I thought I caught the runner cheating by opening a 7+ door with a 0.  I never realised doors work like combat, all that time I spent farming for a 9+ when I had stacks of "useless" zeros Sad

Speaking of doors, runner did an OK job of choosing cards, it's difficut to keep track of all the cards you'll need for 4+ stages in the future.  This would be the biggest time saver if runner could optimize (probally not possibe in a SS run)

All boss battles were amazing.  Slight trouble with Hades, but they do give you a "crap deck" and he pulls slights like it's his job.

Shadow Riku battle was great.  That's such a hard fight. (Could the programmers have made him a slightly different color in Dark mode?) I believe I was double the level the runner was and STILL had fits with shadow Riku.  AND I had the luxory of saves.

Overall, maybe 1-2 min could be saved with perfect play and better luck.

It's amazing how you may think you are good at a game until you see a speed runner display what true skills are.

Bring on a Sora run!

Verdict:  Accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: The runner single-segmented an rpg that relies on decent amount of luck.
Thread title:  
You spoony bard!
I saw this in the verification thread and wanted to verify it so bad.  Sadly, I have never beaten the game... and SS-ing blows my mind!  I am extremely pumped to watch this run ^_^
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote:
The run has some parts where it is not that enjoyable, but that is necessary and ok, because he just has to collect cards to open the doors that will come.

I know it wasn't enjoyable for you to watch, but hey, I did warn you guys in the comments where the card farming was going to be, complete with time spans if you wanted to jump ahead.

Quote:
He almost always uses the fastest method to enter a fight by first-hitting the enemies which is a good time saver (only 2 fights or so he enters accidentaly and fights).

Remember that first strikes also stun the first wave of enemies and not only let me see what I'm up against, but the best course of action to take (Getting behind those shield enemies, striking other enemies over to spawn points, stuff like that).
I might have to look up in the run where I accidentaly got into a battle and actually fought them. I know there were at least three accidental battles in the whole run, all of which I escaped from no problem and only happened because the enemy was spawning while I was jumping and couldn't see or avoid them.

Quote:
Commenting on a single level isnt needed, as he mostly rushes through them right to the boss.
The level of play is high and pretty good. He always positions himself in that way that he hits multiple enemies in fights which saves time, too. The boss fights are really quick, especially Ursula with that shoulder trick.

Smiley

Quote:
He had a tough time on the final boss and Copy Riku and almost died there, but he managed not to.

Ansem is easily the worst part of the run, and it happens at the very end of it all too. Riku Replica would have gone a lot smoother if I hadn't screwed up the zero card/deck reloader thing. After it happened I was like "Ohcrapohcrapohcrap" and had to be a bit more careful until I could regain my health and pummel him again. I was like, two hits away from death too. I couldn't believe I survived it, but I was more angry at the mistake I had made.

Quote:
Its a pretty good and pretty fast run, I couldnt find that much time savers myself, other than the hesitation on which cards to use to open doors (which seems naturally).

The hesitation comes from all the card planning I'm doing as I go. The right colors, the right number values, how high I can take it, how I'm going to avoid using high level cards for low level doors, if I'm even going to have enough cards to leave the level and how many I have to work with, and so on. Also, there's a massive over-sensitivity on that screen when the Gamecube controller is used and I have no idea why. I wanted to prevent jumping around and use of the wrong cards.

Quote:
Not to mention these small problems are almost cancelled out when considering how awesome almost all of his boss fights go. Other than the end of Hades, pieces of the Riku Replica II fight and pieces of the Ansem II fight(the three hardest battles in the game), the boss fights are all about as fast as they can be.

Hades is a complete bitch to beat because a) the deck they give you is complete shit and b) his attacks are so incredibly overpowered that he can kill you in like, four if you're not careful. It goes so damn well until the end too. The first reason is the reason why it might seem slow. Keep an eye on both our decks. He tosses a bunch of 5-9 cards together for multiple attacks, and I've got 21 cards: three 0 cards, a single 2-9 range, and the rest are 1s with an 8 and 9 in there somewhere! This means I can't break any of his cards head-on, because he'll just break mine right away and drain all my health with his counterattack. This is why I let him toss his sleights together and break them with a zero card before he can power up, while attacking as quickly as I can in between.

Quote:
In terms of cheating, I watched the run multiple times and kept a list of what map cards he received from battles throughout the run. He matched up with what cards he used perfectly. So no cheating here or on the battles.

Shocked Dude, you kept track of all the cards? Now that's a hardcore dedicated verifier right there. Smiley

Quote:
Great strategy of using overdive in normal form.  I had assumed runner would try to break to dark form as quickly as possilbe, as you do more damage and have access to slights.

Most of the time I can just finish the enemies off with that and maybe one reload. Dark Mode is useful, but remember that I need to wait for enemies to attack so I can break them, and that Dark Form takes a while to get into. Just tearing into them with overdrive seems to be faster.

Quote:
All boss battles were amazing.  Slight trouble with Hades, but they do give you a "crap deck" and he pulls slights like it's his job.

I should also mention that attacking Hades head-on is suicide, mostly because of what I keep mentioning and you bring up again. If he whips out that fire wave attack while I'm in front of him, that's like, a quarter to half my health gone right there. That's why I wait for him to build sleights and break them. Dark Mode is your best friend here too.

Quote:
It's amazing how you may think you are good at a game until you see a speed runner display what true skills are.

Wow man, thanks. It means a lot to me. Smiley
I normally don't keep defaults, but I do love SDA!
Quote from The_Quiet_Man:
Quote:

Shocked Dude, you kept track of all the cards? Now that's a hardcore dedicated verifier right there. Smiley

Thank God you commented, when I read those notes I thought "Wow, I didn't do that"

Quote:

Wow man, thanks. It means a lot to me. Smiley

NP. That's how i feel when I watch most runs on SDA. My only fear was if the other verifiers woud come back with something like "Run sucked.  Runner displayed sub rudimentary ability though demo. Did runner think they were playing KH on the PS? Might have been a drunken monkey with a controller. Anyone who thinks this run is anything special should be barred from SDA forever."