Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

King of the Monsters 2 (Any %) (Single Segment) (Normal)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Jay 'DeMoNFLiP84' Cabasag!
Thread title:  
Run Information

King of the Monsters 2 (Any %) (Single Segment) (Normal)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/kingofmonsters2-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 11, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
DeMoNFLiP84: 2014-03-29 10:14:38 am
A Serious Noob
There is an issue regarding to the run comments and the video.

I responded in detail in my Private Thread.
Not a walrus
Should be fixed now.
I will start out by saying that this is by no means a "picture perfect" speedrun. However, I believe a lot of it comes from the game itself. The hit detection seems difficult to work with (combined with clunky character movements), there is lots of rng and some of the bosses actually fight back. I took a quick look at some other speedrun videos on youtube that seem to confirm this. The submitted run is the fastest time I could find reports of. I'm not familiar with the game, but overall it looked like the runner had a sound plan and executed it well enough.

Accept
Never give up!
A/V looks good at this point, no signs of cheating.

The SNES version of King of the Monsters 2, which this run uses, should honestly be a separate category from other versions of the game.  That's because some disastrous changes were made - longer charging times and that grapple system.  Good lord that grapple system.  A single grapple in the SNES version takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds and, from what I can tell, seems to decide the winner just about randomly despite giving you an action command.  The runner gets stuck in 3 grapples over the course of the run - once against Sack Eyes, once in the Clawhead rematch, and once in the Lavicus rematch.  He wins the first two and loses the last one, so overall, the grapples alone probably cost about 20 seconds.

Having played the game a VERY long time ago, however, I do share the sentiment that properly running this game amounts to BS luck with the hit detection and boss AI.  The AI has an obsession with grapples and with running away (Huge Frogger gives a good example of the latter in both fights), so if you can mitigate these somehow, you should easily be able to nail this.  The runner has put forth a strong effort in this regard and overall I find the run to be worthy considering what the game put this runner through.

Verdict: ACCEPT

P.S. Maybe it's just spite from my preferring to play as Super Geon in this game, but after seeing that run I honestly feel the characters should be separate categories.  Neither Super Geon nor Atomic Guy has quite the kind of abusable special that Cyber Woo does.
Decision posted.
A Serious Noob
Thanks to all those who took the time to verify my run. thumbsup

Running this game I felt is based on pure luck and cooperation with the AI Bosses. To put it into perspective I had to play it very aggressively while trying to make little mistakes such as grappling which it's a big time waster and honestly it's random sometimes on which monster wins it. Also my average time running this game sort of fluctuates between getting a sub 20 to a sub 22.

Quote from AquaTiger:
P.S. Maybe it's just spite from my preferring to play as Super Geon in this game, but after seeing that run I honestly feel the characters should be separate categories.  Neither Super Geon nor Atomic Guy has quite the kind of abusable special that Cyber Woo does.

I agree with this statement. For any future submissions of this game depending on what monster was used in the run Cyber Woo should be in it's own category due to the overpowered special abuse of the Woo-Copter.