List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Charles 'Arcanod' Nannan's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
First of all, it should be noted this is on the game Jumper Redux, which is slightly different than the original Jumper. I think the comments go over this, if google translator didn't fail me too hard.

Alright, the run was ridiculously entertaining. The game is pretty much nothing but precise jumps and maneuvering, and the runner clearly shows a huge amount of skill. He never really slows down at any point unless it's required by the game, totally went balls to the wall the whole time. Sadly there are 4 deaths, again I think the comments cover it but I'll mention them too.

First death in 4-2, simple mistake, cost maybe 5 seconds or so.
The death in 5-1 was just silly haha, cost like a second because it was at the very beginning.
Obviously the worst level of the run was 6-1, with two deaths costing around 5 seconds each. Hey, it's a hard jump okay Tongue

I timed the run to be ~11:08. That's insane. It took me several hours and hundreds of attempts just to beat this game.

Accept it, pretty much the entire game was just beautiful. A very impressive quick run of a classic freeware title for SDA sounds good to me.

Quote:
Regarding the video quality, it's fine but I'll just note that the game is played in windowed mode, and the video resolution is unusual. Those are nonissues though

The run is pretty good. It contains 4 deaths, which amounts to about 25 seconds lost (for 11:09 of gameplay), but this is to be expected from a speedrun of this game. Much like "I wanna be the guy", to use a popular example, the game is divided into a multitude of small areas, and the slightest execution mistake means a death that makes you instantly start at the beginning of the screen you died in. I'm sure the runner has the potential to do a deathless run, but as it is, this is a slick run that definitely deserves a spot on the site

Oh also, it should probably be mentioned on the game page that this was done on the Redux version of the game, which a few minor differences from the original. I don't think we need to worry about whether or not to have separate categories for each version for now. I don't know why anyone would want to run the original anyway.

Accept

Quote:
Okay, well, here are my verification comments.

According to my calculations, the run's length is 11:08.7 (counting from start of movement to loss of control).

Jumper is a very ragequit-inducing game and a good challenge for runners, because there is a lot of precise platforming and every mistake ends in a death. However, due to less than ideal physics and somewhat loose movement system, it is indeed a hard game to master. In this run, most of the stages are executed well, although you can see some easy to spot precision mistakes and small instances of stalling to ensure safety. None of them cost more than a second per level, and all together they likely amount to no more than ten seconds in total, which for me is quite acceptable. Deaths, on the other hand, alone cost the player around 23–25 seconds, and they are a very apparent waste of time. So apparent there isn't even need to list any other improvements.

I'm on the fence about this run because I would have forgiven all these small mistakes if the whole playthrough was deathless, but alas it isn't. Similarly, I would have forgiven deaths if all the rest was done perfectly aggressive without mistakes. I'm leaning towards rejecting it because I see almost half a minute of apparent time loss in a 11 minute long run. Besides, SDA has always been rather strict towards dying in platformers, and this should also be kept in mind. So far, I'm afraid, more work is needed.

But don't let this discourage the player. Jumper is a nice game and a great addition to SDA's catalogue. The player did an impressive job already — the only thing left at this point is weeding out major mistakes. I'd very much like to see an improved version of this run published, and I'm sure they can do better. I'd say any deathless run under 10:50 (assuming my timing is correct) would be acceptable. 10:40 could be the reference time to aspire to.

And next time I'd actually like to read the player's comments because they seem to be interesting and very detailed. You should ask somebody bilingual to translate them into English.

Hope to see this in verification queue again!

Decision: Accept

Reason: There are some deaths, but this game is also known for being ridiculous with its pixel-perfect positioning and precision timing.
Thread title:  
Generic Text
Fuck yeah Jumper. Awesome series. Unless it's 3. Still have no idea what went wrong there.
Aw man, Jumper. Can't wait to see this run up on SDA.

I remember Beta Testing the original Jumper and one of the creator's unreleased games.. It's great to see how far he's come since then.
Thank you very much for verifying and for your interesting comments.

@Verifier 2 & 3 : sorry to disappoint you, but I will definitively not try to beat my time. My heart already suffered enough and I have other games to complete. Wink
I'll try to translate my comments into English, but I can't say when it will be ready (it takes me a lot of time).

Also, if you're interested and because I'd be glad to share them, I'll post my individual levels times from Jumper 2, Jumper 3 and FLail in the "Casual speedrunning" section of the forum, probably in the few next days of weeks. I have no video of my runs, tough (I had done that for my own satisfaction).

Quote from System Error:
Fuck yeah Jumper. Awesome series. Unless it's 3. Still have no idea what went wrong there.

I agree with you on the fact that Jumper 3 is not as good as Jumper 2, but it's still a good and very challenging game. Controls are unsettling, but the new system of special abilities is very well used.
Hail Discordia!
Verifier #3 was me. I'm a bit sad to hear you won't attempt it again, but it's ok with me. I'm happy the run goes up anyway, because rejecting it was a decision that didn't sit well with me, considering the amount of effort it took — it's just that the deaths are so painful to watch that, in my opinion, even an otherwise slower run would look better without them. But your decision is your decision — I don't have the motivation needed to make a deathless version myself. Tongue

In any case, congratulations! What will be your next project?
Edit history:
Arcanod: 2010-08-30 05:01:17 am
Arcanod: 2010-08-30 05:00:37 am
Thanks for the kind words.
My next projects will be The Story of Thor / Beyond Oasis on Genesis (segmented), Disruptor on PlayStation (segmented, unless the game is eligible for individual levels), An Untitled Story on PC (segmented on Insanity and single-segment on Regular) and Rocket Knight Adventures on Genesis.
I don't know in what order I will do them, and I still have have some hardware needed to record properly.
Hail Discordia!
I'm afraid I've only played Rocket Knight Adventures from that list; it's a killer game, though, really lends itself well to running. Smiley
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Oh nice, Beyond Oasis, that's a really underrated game.

I think I'm the only other person who has played Disruptor on this board.

Of course, Rocket Knight Adventures is a classic.

Never played An Untitled Story.
welcome to the machine
ShadowJacky has completed a run of RKA, and either has submitted it or will be submitting it very soon.  It's going to be very good if his testrun is any indication, so you should probably wait for that before working on the game. >_>
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Nice run. This game has some very tricky jumps, and you nailed them for the most part.
1-Up!
This run was a great watch.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
I never played this game, but you can tell the amount of skill to not only do this run, but with just a handful of deaths.  Pretty impressive indeed.
Jumping Turtle
Indeed, it takes a high level of skill to beat the game alone. I think you referred to this in your comments (I don't speak French), but bravo on that jump near the very end; I think due to your mispositioning, that required frame-precision to avoid the spikes.

Quote:
It took me several hours and hundreds of attempts just to beat this game.

That sounds about right. I'm sure some people might have managed over a thousand deaths on their first play through, and likely tears of manliness.

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would want to run the original anyway.

I personally prefer the original because A) I like the second sector's music a bit more, and B) due to the slight changes in speeds both horizontal and vertical, apparently I have more trouble in 7-2 in Redux. After the super-jump, I manage to fall into the gap NEXT to the pointer, missing it.

Quote:
I'd say any deathless run under 10:50 (assuming my timing is correct) would be acceptable. 10:40 could be the reference time to aspire to.

As a matter of fact, I did notice some places he could have saved time.

-In 2-2, dropping through that electricity in the top right and not jumping. (I believe frame precision needed?)
-In 2-3, he could have timed his jumps so that he goes over the top of all the spike pillars instead of dropping to the bottom. (biggest one in this list, three seconds lost :^ooo)
-Skipping the second pointer in 3-2. (easily forgiveable)
-I'm surprised at his route after shutting off the electricity in 3-4. I usually double-jump onto the middle block, then double-jump straight to the crate.
-In 3-6, I'm personally accustomed to running as soon as I see the first platform start moving left, I land on it, and double-jump into the on-coming second platform. It looks like he thought about it, then hesitated. I can never remember the best landing route for the end of the level, though. Maybe landing on the right one first?
-4-1, I jump through the top of the second fireball gap and land on the third.
*4-3 question: does the gostblock super jump on contact? It usually requires me to LAND on it for it to spring up. Maybe it's a version difference, I don't remember.
-5-2, in the middle, jump and hold left instead, the block should come to you even though you're against the side and not moving left.
-5-6, I personally drop beneath the falling block. Might be a fraction of a second quicker and less dangerous.
-6-2, I double-jump through both pointers and use the last double-jump to reach the crate, avoiding the cannonballs completely. I also jump over the first moving fireball to land on the second gap.
-6-4, I forget if it's just Jumper 2, but I usually skip the first pointer.

Still, surviving the game in less than 10 deaths is a massive achievement in itself - I've beaten it several dozen times and I've only gotten under 10 deaths once.
Edit history:
Arcanod: 2010-12-07 05:50:37 pm
Arcanod: 2010-12-07 05:48:44 pm
@Manocheese, Flip & DK28 : I'm glad you enjoyed it !

@JaggerG : Thank you for your accurate comment. Indeed, I was too much focused on finishing the whole game with the lowest possible number of deaths, and didn't take the time to analyse each level carefully. Some levels could have been done a little faster without taking a lot more risks if not at all (especially 2-3, 4-1 and 5-2 in your list). But nothing too serious I think.

Quote from JaggerG:
*4-3 question: does the gostblock super jump on contact? It usually requires me to LAND on it for it to spring up. Maybe it's a version difference, I don't remember.

Yes, there's no need to land on it in Jumper: Redux.