List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/JakAndDaxter.html

Tony 'ZenicReverie' Foster's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verification for Jak and Daxter single segment with no deaths.

Audio/video no problems.
No Cheating Detected.

The runner shows good knowledge of the routes, which i think look pretty much optimal for all sections of the game. A few little mistakes through the first section. Forbidden Forest is well done overall. A lot of time saved on Misty island through shortcuts, but bad luck with the blimps. Fire canyon was very smooth, collecting all orbs as well as the scout flies.

Rock Village first cutscene, there is a short pause, I'd like to know why. again a few mistakes littered through the section. Lost Precurser City well done. Precurser basin Litghning Moles went especially well. Boggy swamp, there was a large mistake on the flut flut, cost maybe 15 seconds for that. Mountain pass was so so, lost 4 seconds getting hung up.

Volcanic Crater goes well. Spider Cavern has 2 meduim size mistakes, mostly due to bad luck with the camera. Gives Snowy mountain a miss, as he gets the hidden Power Cell. Lava Tube is just a race to the end, and had a good run through the rotating orb room.

Gol and Maya's Citadel is a little more conservative, with the couple of times he wait for a long time for the platforms to come around. but this is balanced by 2 good jumping shortcuts which save about a minute.

The final Boss goes well, with just a little bad luck on the Whit Eco placement.

All up there wouldn't be more than 2 minutes of mistakes, and there is more than 5 minutes of time gained through shortcuts.

Add to that the fact that the run is about 40 minutes quicker than the previous, and it's a big accept from me.

Quote:
To sum it up in a sentence: This run is amazing.

Video/Audio quality: Seamless. Perfect.

Play Quality: Just astounding. There are many daring tricks that make the run very interesting to watch, and with minimal mistakes as well. Plus, it destroys the current run by over 30 minutes. (I think) The routes were pretty much optimal, and most of them were flawlessly executed.

Definitely no cheating.

Accepted.

Quote:
Video quality was fine.

The audio repeatedly unsynced with BS Player.  I opened it with plain divx player and it seemed fine.

Sporadic run comments:

The route in raising the eco mirrors, getting the eco charge, and jumping off the cliff edge to get all the underwater orbs by the power cell at about 15:00 was nice.  The forbidden jungle overall seemed very well planned.  (I'm going to refrain from route comments from now on because its all so well planned)

Muse was caught extremely fast, making Daxter's frustration cut scene seem out of place. Smiley  Nice tricks to skip the Lurker ambush.  Flying lurker route was nice.

Not sure why he took the extra time to kill the lurker at 27:20ish.  maybe setting up for a jump?

Nice fast run of the lava ma-thing, while getting all of the scout flies.

Seems very cautious in the Lost Precursor City, but I don't blame him.  It's very easy to die here.

Herding the moles into the hole was very impressive, especially since it always seems like they'll never go in for me.  Great job controlling that damn zoomer.  Killing the evil grass is difficult (and annoying) so I think three runs back to the green eco is pretty good for a single segment.

Glad to see he skipped the Warrior.  I hate that guy.

Biggest mistake of the run so far at ~1:07:00.  Considering he only lost 10 seconds or so, that's pretty impressive.

Could possibly have navigated the mine carts faster on the way to the Spider Cave, but its difficult to do ... I understand his hesitation this far into a SS run.

Kind of bizarre playing at 1:25:00.  Seemed a little confused.

Some slow moments with the platforms in Gol and Mia's Citadel... but there's not too much to do about that.  Only a minute or so could be saved here, with much more dangerous playing.

Solid final boss fight.

Overall, the time lost was very small for a single segment run of a platformer.  It was pretty remarkable that there no major mistakes at all.  No deaths here!

The run uses a lot of nice small short cuts.  The runner obviously knew the game very well, and practiced a lot.

I accept this run whole heartedly.  Great job!

Quote:
Okay.  Accept immediately.
Beats the current segmented run by half an hour, very few mistakes, no deaths, no recording issues, fine sound and video, Misty Island was absolutely broken, precursor orb collection was more logical, five stars, great run, and everything else.

Quote:
Video Quality: Slight distillation at about 1:40:30 but otherwise good.
Audio Quality: Good

Very good run, much improved over last run. There are some points where he seems to be rushing too much, costing seconds at the most.
Nothing out of the ordinary and playing quality is very high.

Decision: Accept. Very large improvement over old run, definitely deserves a place here.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Were you expecting any other result?

Also, just for kicks, here's a quote from the run that's currently up.

Quote:
I wish Jak and Daxter could've been beaten as fast as Super Mario 64. Less than an hour and a half isn't possible. Less than two hours isn't possible.

Thread title:  
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote:
I wish Jak and Daxter could've been beaten as fast as Super Mario 64. Less than an hour and a half isn't possible. Less than two hours isn't possible.

SDA sure has come a long way since 2005.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote:
Rock Village first cutscene, there is a short pause, I'd like to know why.

This is was during the time I was considering splitting up the video for quality purposes.  It turned out that SP quality was good enough, but if there were quality issues, I'd need to split the video between discs, so that's why there is a pause here and at the red sage's lab.

Thanks for all the positive comments, and I'm glad to see the previous run get replaced after all these years and previous talk of replacing it.  When I first started out, I didn't think I'd be able to match the previous poster's time of 1:57, but it turned out that I beat it and then some.  In the future, when I come back to this game to do a 100% segmented, I might try a few attempts to improve some of those mistakes and conservative playing, but with the luck of the muse and lightning moles I think I'm going to be hard pressed.
Dragon Power Supreme
Congrats on having the run accepted, I'm looking towards it!
Oh oops, here's the last response. I forgot to post it earlier because it was on IRC.

Quote:
Verifier: Ok, Jak and Daxter is done
Verifier: No visible signs of cheating
Verifier: Gameplay overall was very impressive, with just a couple of minor rough spots (bumping into a wall/tree/whatever) that are generally expected in a SS run occasionally
Verifier: Very well thought out and optimized route
Verifier: An easy accept, considering the time difference between this single segment run and the old segmented run
me: yeah that's what everyone else is saying
me: I mean you can't really say much else because the run is that good
Verifier: yeah
Verifier: The only thing my wife mentioned at all (and even I noticed, because it looked that "slow") was the purple plant part
Verifier: but I have no clue which power cell he could have substituted
Verifier: and even she said that it was likely as good a choice as any
Waiting hurts my soul...
Yeah, I think the plants just look slow because there's the back and forth 2 - 3 times; the blue rings are actually about twice as long, but you don't notice it as much because Jak is constantly moving forward.
It's-a me, Stalin!
Fantastic, my most awaited run is finally up Tongue
Currently occupying the grey area.
Quote from ZenicReverie:
Quote:
Rock Village first cutscene, there is a short pause, I'd like to know why.

This is was during the time I was considering splitting up the video for quality purposes.  It turned out that SP quality was good enough, but if there were quality issues, I'd need to split the video between discs, so that's why there is a pause here and at the red sage's lab.

Thanks for clearing that up.
MGS for PS1 forever.
Well done. I'm thankful that someone finally beat the game a lot faster than I did. I went from Max Payne...a game that I would say a person could never beat a single level without dying to playing Jak and Daxter. That was back a few years ago. Now we have a speedrun that completes all of Max Payne with only one death...and it was a pretty cheap death...and a site that now has over 500 speedruns.

Good job!!
Where's the run?
Quote from Ace:
Where's the run?

Check the game's page, it's already been updated. But don't tell anyone, because the encode isn't up yet Wink
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Oh God, the aching wait...

From the verifier response, it's just confirming what I already knew: this is going to be an amazing run. Pulling off a deathless speed run of such an at times painfully precise game is a feat unto itself, let alone doing it so much faster than what was thought optimal before.

Encode, damn you!
It's ready for update, but Enhasa has been MIA for about a week and a half now.
Waiting hurts my soul...
He updated today (last night?) although Jak and Daxter isn't among them.  Soon I hope, soon.
awesome run! a lot of nice tricks (especially Misty Island)
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Stu Rodriguez:
awesome run! a lot of nice tricks (especially Misty Island)

Thanks, although I really can't take credit for the Misty Island route, that was Jake; I don't really know who he is, but he posted the route on youtube.  I did figure out how to catch the muse nearly istantly though, and that saves a bit of time.  It's funny too, because no matter where you catch the muse, the same cutscene plays.  I guess they (the developers) thought the majority of the time you'd catch the muse near the scout fly.