Sad
12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Back in 2003-2006, anyone who was in the know of general commercial gaming knew that EA (Electronic Arts) was a huge bully at the time. They were notorious for releasing a Need for Speed game every year even without necessarily having a clear concept of what said game was trying to achieve, amongst other crimes against creative IP generating. In fact, you can say that they may have pioneered the practice of sequel saturation that plagues modern gaming. Bold moves like flat-out declining support for Sega Saturn altogether (a bad example altogether, especially if viewed with the context, but whatever) and releasing garbage like GoldenEye: Rogue Agent in 2005, which hurts the integrity of the original GoldenEye for N64 are what I knew EA by for quite a while. Things have changed and I can honestly say that they've proven to become more responsible as a company since their prime expansion days. I remember when I found it hard to breathe for a while whenever they announced they're buyout of BioWare!

... Well, all that was warm-up compared to what we have to put up with in this current generation with the CEO of ActiVision, Bobby Kotick:

I could bring up quite a few examples of what this man has admitted publicly that he should be embarrassed or ashamed of towards the gaming public, but this wonderful article provides a full history of the shenanigans this man has done ever since the Blizzard/ActiVision merge in 2008:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

Back to my original point though is that I should be mad at Kotick at large, but really, it's today's retarded consumers who keep buying things that are fueling the "sequelitis" syndrome that's rampant in the development community. It seems that when it comes to developing new IPs that the ability to market them is playing a larger role than how they actually play.

Try to imagine if things continue like this. If pure greed like what's being displayed by Kotick in the above article continue, what direction will commercial gaming go?
Thread title:  
You talk like gaming wouldn't be dead to begin with.
It's actually a crustacean!
Quote:
You talk like gaming wouldn't be dead to begin with.

PC-Gaming sure is infected with some lethal disease. Sadly.
Waiting hurts my soul...
2030 is a long time off... world's going to end anyway on 12-21-2012, at 10:11 am... just look at all those 1's and 2's...

Blizzard hasn't released a new IP in a long time, but people don't care because they make really good games.
The problem is that gaming has become mainstream, and once something hits the mainstream it becomes simplified garbage.  We are seeing a generation growing up thinking a mediocre first person shooter like the Halo series is an amazing game.  Just look at what is selling right now - sports game updates, first person shooter clones (none of which have the fun or clever design of oldschool Doom), and just flat out crap (Grand Theft Auto, i'm looking at you). 

Combine the copycat syndrome with the lack of challenge nowadays, since today's mainstream gamers can't handle any sort of difficulty - look at how painfully easy the newer Final Fantasy games are.  In addition, they have been brought up with this "3d automatically = better game" shit.  I have yet to play a 3d game that is as good as it's 2d counterpart.  Megaman, Castlevania, Mario, Metroid, all of them have been homogenized into generic 3d games lacking any real challenge and very little of the feel of the series'. 

In my opinion, we are lucky if we get 8-10 truly good games per console generation these days.  And sadly I don't see it getting any better, judging by the sales numbers of Madden and Halo as well as the lack of intelligence I see when trying to associate with today's average gamer.  Anyway that's my two cents, and I hope the entire industry collapses so it can be reborn into what it should be - a small market for real gamers who enjoy challenge, variety and originality rather than "purdy pictures" and no real substance.
Three words: Modern Warfare 2.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The original 'Crash' was a localised slump which has been blown out of all proportion and portrayed as if it was gaming's equivalent of Armageddon.

Gaming is too popular for another crash in America, and certainly too popular for worldwide.
Highly Evolved
Well, by 2030, we may have better than 50/50 that your pictures of the 2010 SDA marathon will be posted, so we'll be happy either way.
Edit history:
Pootrain: 2010-07-29 03:08:28 pm
train kept rollin
Quote from HalfMillennium:

Gaming is too popular for another crash in America, and certainly too popular for worldwide.

^this^

Although 20 years from now is a long time, espicially considering that gaming as a whole is only 40ish years old.

but yeah Kotick is a dick, he seems to make some ridiculous statment every other week.
welcome to the machine
I wish I could sig Chromium's response.  I think the best part was "look at how painfully easy the newer Final Fantasy games are."  It makes me imagine that he's an ff1 vet complaining about ff4.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Carcinogen:
Two words and a number: Modern Warfare 2.

fixed Wink
Fucking Weeaboo
I'm surprised it hasn't crashed yet, given how much crap is on the DS.

Imagine series by Ubisoft, anybody?
Formerly known as Skullboy
Quote from Chromium:
The problem is that gaming has become mainstream, and once something hits the mainstream it becomes simplified garbage.  We are seeing a generation growing up thinking a mediocre first person shooter like the Halo series is an amazing game.  Just look at what is selling right now - sports game updates, first person shooter clones (none of which have the fun or clever design of oldschool Doom), and just flat out crap (Grand Theft Auto, i'm looking at you). 

Combine the copycat syndrome with the lack of challenge nowadays, since today's mainstream gamers can't handle any sort of difficulty - look at how painfully easy the newer Final Fantasy games are.  In addition, they have been brought up with this "3d automatically = better game" shit.  I have yet to play a 3d game that is as good as it's 2d counterpart.  Megaman, Castlevania, Mario, Metroid, all of them have been homogenized into generic 3d games lacking any real challenge and very little of the feel of the series'. 

In my opinion, we are lucky if we get 8-10 truly good games per console generation these days.  And sadly I don't see it getting any better, judging by the sales numbers of Madden and Halo as well as the lack of intelligence I see when trying to associate with today's average gamer.  Anyway that's my two cents, and I hope the entire industry collapses so it can be reborn into what it should be - a small market for real gamers who enjoy challenge, variety and originality rather than "purdy pictures" and no real substance.

I Many old 2D series's haven't made the transition to 3D too well (I blame Mario 64 for the near death of 2D gaming, and yes, I do think Mario 64 is a great game). I wouldn't go as far as to lump Metroid and Mario into the generic category like Chromium has. Ironically, all the series he mentioned here still has 2D games being made for it, which shows that at least some companies still put players first and everyone else second to some extent.

I also agree that GTA has been on a downslide, though I wouldn't say it's sucking. Rockstar puts more effort into their games then that. True, there's 14 different games and expansions since 1998 for the series, but it seems to have slowed down for a bit. Hopefully they can get back to the greatness they had with Vice City and San Andreas (I haven't played much of IV yet so no comment there._

So we have a slew of old Ip's returning: some in 2D, some in 3D, some in both, and as long as companies like Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, whoever Nintendo has develop the games, Sega, and Treasure (if they ever get back to platforming) still pay attention to what the non-casual gamers want, gaming will be in good hands.

Frankly, my main concern is the push for almost everything to be multiplayer based.
Hey, Mario and Metroid actually had really good 3-D games!  And there are still difficult games out there.  New Super Mario Bros. Wii for instance was actually pretty difficult for me for instance.

But yeah, I've read interviews from Kotick, and that guy is like the biggest jackass ever, I swear.  There's no way his way of doing business is possibly going to last if he's going to continue publicly making the statements he's made.
gamelogs.org
it's looking less and less likely as time goes on. farmville and whatnot have broadened video game appeal to the point where the industry resembles those of books and movies. so it's about as likely as a movie crash i'd say.
train kept rollin
Quote from Lord_VG:

They sell a metric fuckton though.
Quote from Chromium:

I partly agree with your post, specifically the bit about the mainstream turning things to shit. Here's an article you might find interesting, I certainly did (just be warned it's long).

You have a fair point on the Megaman and Castlevania 3D games, although that's not to say that these games can't be good in 3D, just that the teams which developed them did so poorly. Mario and Metroid on the other hand have held up really well in 3D, so I fail to see what you're getting at there. You say you dislike the notion that 3D automatically makes a game better, but perhaps you're guilty of seeing it the other way around; that 3D automatically makes a game worse, which is just as bad. For what it's worth, I'd rate Metroid Prime as being as difficult (if not more so) as any 2D Metroid game apart from the NES original. I wouldn't say 'lacking in challenge' is a justifiable criticism.

Back on topic: The games industry has become stupidly big business in a relatively short period of time and it only shows signs of growing even further. So 'no' then.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Time for more than half serious comments I suppose...

Quote from Lord_VG:

Maybe it already has, or at least the old market of hardcore games. Now the market has shifted towards casual/mainstream, which is harder to kill.

I think the market originally crashed because it consisted of people who had taste or brains that didn't buy the crap that was put out there. As soon as things went mainstream, they could rely more on name brand instead of bothering to exceed expectations.

I see the resurrection of older IPs on new games as an effort to pull people back in that have been disillusioned by games. Of course, doing so strengthens the notion that all people can do is release sequels and licensed games. I'm not sure how well thought out this plan was.

Quote from FionordeQuester:
But yeah, I've read interviews from Kotick, and that guy is like the biggest jackass ever, I swear.  There's no way his way of doing business is possibly going to last if he's going to continue publicly making the statements he's made.

The problem with that is most (mainstream) people don't read interviews unless they're fans or interested in being in the know with the industry. The mainstream consumers will still buy the games. A lot of people enjoy the safety of knowing that a game will be mediocre or average rather than risk buying a new game that could be anything.

Quote from arkarian:
it's looking less and less likely as time goes on. farmville and whatnot have broadened video game appeal to the point where the industry resembles those of books and movies. so it's about as likely as a movie crash i'd say.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up what I was trying to say...

Let's face it. Most good games will be coming from the "indie" market.
Wait a minute, how was Mega Man a bad series in 3D?  If your talking about Mega Man Legends, I absolutely LOVED that series!
The problem with that is most (mainstream) people don't read interviews unless they're fans or interested in being in the know with the industry. The mainstream consumers will still buy the games. A lot of people enjoy the safety of knowing that a game will be mediocre or average rather than risk buying a new game that could be anything.

No, that's not the reason that Kotick's way of doing business won't last.  The reason it WILL fail is because I can't imagine ANY employee wanting to work in a company where their CEO has publicly admitted to wanting to take all the fun out of making video games, and forcing them to feel skeptical and pessimistic whenever he can.  Do you seriously think he's going to be able to get people to want to work for him if he keeps doing things the way he's doing it?  His employees are inevitably going to get fed up with it.
train kept rollin
No, that's not the reason that Kotick's way of doing business won't last.  The reason it WILL fail is because I can't imagine ANY employee wanting to work in a company where their CEO has publicly admitted to wanting to take all the fun out of making video games, and forcing them to feel skeptical and pessimistic whenever he can.  Do you seriously think he's going to be able to get people to want to work for him if he keeps doing things the way he's doing it?  His employees are inevitably going to get fed up with it.

I think your'e underestimating how big Activision is. They are a buisness and intend to make money. Hundreds of people aren't gonna quit their job just because the CEO needs to learn how to talk in public without upseting the internet.
Legendary Dragoon
Quote from Pootrain:

I think your'e underestimating how big Activision is. They are a buisness and intend to make money. Hundreds of people aren't gonna quit their job just because the CEO needs to learn how to talk in public without upseting the internet.

And don't forget that they DO make money.  A LOT of it.  The Activision employees probably know this and therefore are willing to put up with a douche CEO to make a good chunk of money.
It's actually a crustacean!
Quote:

You also underestimate the power of money. Just look at Activision's get-together with Blizzard. I think the politics they ran with battle.net2.0 say it all. "So you want chatrooms. But do you really want them?"
Well, I'm not saying this is all going to happen at once.  I know that some people are still gonna work there just for the money.  But there's not way they're going to want to put up with it forever.  See, with a guy like this, the list of abuses is just gonna get worse and worse, and EVENTUALLY, there's going to come a point in which a big pay check just isn't going to cut it anymore. 

That's how most evil empires have crumbled over the years.  They get worse and worse until eventually, the people get fed up with it, and revolutionize. 
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from arkarian:

There must be one starting, if MGM is going bankrupt and has canceled the latest Bond movie.