Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-05-16 12:53:52 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Greg Innes's run

Verifier Response

Quote:
Audio/video quality is fine. No cheating. Timing should start at frame 2723; I'm not entirely sure where it should stop, but I'm guessing at frame 10851, which makes it 4:31.

The runner gets into the house as quickly as possible. The comments really cover everything here, the window is the only way to get in and you need to either knock on the door or ring the doorbell before the prompts near the window will become available. The runner rings the doorbell, which is slightly faster than knocking on the door, and then goes straight to the window and completes the prompts immediately. Inside the house, the runner walks to the left to avoid triggering a QTE and goes straight to the room with the stuffed women, which is necessary to trigger Leland getting home.

There are five different endings possible. It's no contest which one is fastest - getting yourself killed is, by far (which is what the runner does). One of the other endings requires calling the police and then getting killed (so it's the same thing, except you do something unnecessary first), and the other three involve waiting for a pretty long time. The runner triggers the fight sequence as quickly as possible by immediately going downstairs, goes into the bedroom (which is the closest room to where the fight starts), and then fails all the prompts to get killed.

Overall, the route planning is solid - the runner obviously explored his options and picked the fastest route. Execution is tight, there's nothing that can really be improved. Accept.

On another note, I wrote a longer response for a 5-minute DLC run than any of the verifier comments for the full game. lol.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This is a run with very little room for improvement.

Yeah, this is the only response I got over a couple of months.
Thread title:  
Should this game have different categories for the five different endings? It would seem odd to only accept a run of the 'get killed' ending.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Should this game have different categories for the five different endings? It would seem odd to only accept a run of the 'get killed' ending.

Well there are runs that have "Best ending" or something similar to it in them, so this shouldn't be much different,
Edit history:
Paraxade: 2011-10-10 09:29:28 am
I don't really see the point tbh. Every ending involves doing the exact same thing until near the end of the run, then you would have a very slightly different strat. Three of them would involve just sitting around doing nothing for a couple minutes.

edit: my memory's a little fuzzy, but some more information... these are the five endings:

1. End of the Nightmare: involves getting caught by Leland and escaping.
2. Sacrificed in the Name of Truth: involves calling the police, then getting killed.
3. The End of Anguish: involves calling the police without getting caught, then hiding until they arrive.
4. In the Middle of Horror: involves escaping without being caught.
5. Where is Madison Paige?: involves getting killed without calling the police (this is the ending the run uses).

I don't recall why 1 would involve waiting. On 3, the police take a few minutes to arrive, so you basically just have to stay hidden and do nothing for a few minutes. 4 requires waiting for a long time because Leland sits in front of the TV for a while, and you get caught if you go down the stairs, so you have to wait for him to leave.
Edit history:
ExplodingCabbage: 2011-10-10 09:51:53 am
ExplodingCabbage: 2011-10-10 09:51:26 am
BTW I haven't played the game, only seen it on YouTube, which is why I'm only asking about categories as a question for others rather than asserting any opinion of my own on the matter.

A couple of points:

Quote from Paraxade:
I don't really see the point tbh. Every ending involves doing the exact same thing until near the end of the run, then you would have a very slightly different strat. Three of them would involve just sitting around doing nothing for a couple minutes.

I realise this... I guess it's the fact that this is basically a failure ending that makes me more uncomfortable with it than I'd otherwise be.

Quote:
3. The End of Anguish: involves calling the police without getting caught, then hiding until they arrive.

Hmm. Isn't it possible to also get this ending by calling the police and escaping with/without alterting Leland?

Quote:
4 requires waiting for a long time because Leland sits in front of the TV for a while, and you get caught if you go down the stairs, so you have to wait for him to leave.

You can also alert him without getting caught (by making the floorboards creak), hide in a room upstairs, wait for him to come upstairs and enter a different room, and then make a run for it. The condition for the ending is just that he doesn't catch you, not that you don't alert him, so you can alert him if it's faster (which it probably would be).

BTW, this game has a couple of checkpoints when entering the house and when Leland returns, right? Is this run segmented or single segment? Also, does anything carry over from outside to inside, or from inside to when Leland returns? If the three sections are independent (and perhaps even if not), it would be fairly easy to include runs of all five endings if the runner / someone else were to do a segmented run and just reuse the footage up until Leland returns.

Sorry if I've misunderstood anything - haven't played the game.
Edit history:
Paraxade: 2011-10-10 10:05:09 am
yeah, all three sections are independent. I dunno about 3 and 4, you may be right. Haven't played it in a long time. The run's an SS.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from Paraxade:

My counter argument is Chrono Cross
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Honestly for Chrono Cross is looks like Molotov added that in as a bonus. Six minutes of difference over a 6+ hour run doesn't really cut it as significantly different.
Edit history:
Patrick: 2011-10-20 07:49:16 am
Patrick: 2011-10-20 07:17:45 am
Quote:
The End of the nightmare
The taxidermist dies. you must get caught and
a) kill him
B) escape and he will shoot himself

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/heavy-rain/39844-taxidermist-ending-guide.html

What the best ending is is an ethical question. Of course letting him live free is not an option. But should he die by being officially executed or not?

Edit: Probably the best solution is: Every ending in which Madison survives and the murderer is arrested or killed counts as 100%.
Quote from freakypaddy:
Quote:
The End of the nightmare
The taxidermist dies. you must get caught and
a) kill him
B) escape and he will shoot himself

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/heavy-rain/39844-taxidermist-ending-guide.html

What the best ending is is an ethical question. Of course letting him live free is not an option. But should he die by being officially executed or not?

Edit: Probably the best solution is: Every ending in which Madison survives and the murderer is arrested or killed counts as 100%.

No, the best solution is treat the five different endings as five different categories. There's no reason for us to arbitrarily decide which counts as the 'best' ending based upon plot differences when the game recognises five distinct endings and doesn't explicitly rate any of them as worse or better than others.
I just have to say I enjoyed this run, but I had no idea what ending it had.

When it ended I was just like .... dang, that sucks.
It seems like the idea that "welp, they all roll the credits" would justify a run of Metrocross for the Commodore 64 where you simply lose as fast as possible, since winning and losing both just display a game over screen. I dunno.
Quote from Schwaumlaut:
It seems like the idea that "welp, they all roll the credits" would justify a run of Metrocross for the Commodore 64 where you simply lose as fast as possible, since winning and losing both just display a game over screen. I dunno.

To be fair it's relevant in this case that, firstly, the first two thirds of the game has to be done regardless of ending choice, and secondly, whichever ending you get, the game says "Hey well done, you got one of the five unique endings, whose names we will now list for you. Can you catch 'em all?"
I guess that's fair. Maybe I'm just irrationally uncomfortable with the bad guys winning. >_<
Edit history:
Patrick: 2011-10-20 12:01:30 pm
Hey Schwaumlaut,
if you want you can start a forum where people submit 'fastest death runs'.
Too late.

http://www.youtube.com/user/metokurarchive