List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Greg Innes's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
There is no evidence of cheating, and the audio and video quality is good.

I would ask that the runner specify which version of Heavy Rain he is using, out of curiosity and for consistency's sake.

The run is good, and there's some good strategies such as passing certain QTEs and failing others (as opposed to failing them all) during segments where you want to lose. Likewise, there's some new stuff like the approach in father and Son as well as walking directly into the building with Mad Jack.

It's a good run and is very well optimized. Approve.

Quote:
I did't find any sights of cheating

The audio/videoqualitiy is OK

Not mutch to say about a heavy Rain run because its one big quick time event with a lot of possibility's.
From my point of view the runner have good knowledge of the game and tested out a lot of different methods and used the fastest.

The input were all fast and SDA worthy so
a

Accept

Quote:
No cheating at all. Audio and video are fine.

Pretty interesting seeing the kinds of optimization that a game like this is capable of. When I played through it I always felt like the game was kind of a straightforward experience, but this run has certainly shown me the light.

No serious gameplay hiccups, and speed was most definitely there.

Accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: Who knew that a game that's mostly reaction-based QTEs could be speedrun?

BTW, I hear that this game should be manually timed because the in-game timer is unreliable.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2011-02-15 02:58:10 pm
TheThrillness: 2011-02-15 01:33:15 pm
TheThrillness: 2011-02-15 01:32:54 pm
thethrillness.blogspot.com
Yay!

Makes all that research and testing worthwhile. It was really interesting to run this game and a change from my previous RE4 runs here.

Thanks

Would it also be possible for the verifiers to accept my taxidermist run?
Waiting hurts my soul...
Only if they've played that portion of the game.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Who knew that a game that's mostly reaction-based QTEs could be speedrun?

Shouldn't it say "speedran," or, "a speedrun?"
standard paradigm for the verb to run is run/ran/run (stem/simple past/past participle). a lot of dialects have ran as the past participle, like "i have ran to the store/that level can be ran fast," where standard english would have "i have run to the store/that level can be run fast."

in case you were curious.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
My inner grammar nazi was indeed curious. Thank you for the clarification, lag.

I assume this is a "bad ending" run? There are many varieties of endings. Of course, the better the ending, the more that needs to be done, and the more cutscenes that need to be watched.
gamelogs.org
if you want to really get grammar nazi, it'd be neither "speedran" nor "speedrun" because the verb form is "speed run", two words. :P
Quote from TheQuietMan:
I assume this is a "bad ending" run?

Yes. It is basically just what Cody Miller did but I just improved on everything in different ways.

Maybe sometime I will do a speed run and save everyone (best ending).
i just watched part 23 (the butterfly) to check the quality,

isn't it faster to go left from the beginning, thru the fence instead of climbing over the wall?
Edit history:
Hamers: 2012-04-12 09:03:06 am
Hamers: 2012-04-12 08:53:13 am
Hamers: 2012-04-12 08:52:04 am
Planning a Heavy Rain speed run myself, I found 2 problems with the current best run from Greg Innes:

1. An one minute cutscene is missing between the 'Prologue' (Part 1) and 'Mall' (Part 2) chapter. This one:

2. Another short sequence (20 seconds) is missing between the 'A Visitor' (Part 21) and 'Kramer's Party' (Part 22) chapter. You can see it here:

In both cases Greg starts right in the scene without the cutscenes. I'm aware that this is a problem with the chapter selection system and maybe not Greg's fault, but it's still an issue that should be resolved.

I will probably beat his run, because I approximately saved 2 minutes gameplay time. But I'm doing a single-segment run, so my run will include these cutscenes. That could cost me all my saved time.

So either Greg modifies his run or the two cutscenes shouldn't be timed, when I submit my run I think.
Not a walrus
If it's a matter of segmentation or not, then it would be taken into account when the run is timed, yes.
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2012-04-12 10:56:07 am
TheThrillness: 2012-04-12 10:55:52 am
Yes, it's a problem with the chapter selection system.

The solution would be to time single segment and segmented individually. Even then, load times on this game are not perfect so there is always going to be fluctuations between times.

You saved 2 minutes? Nice. The only real timesaver I found was posted earlier in butterfly part. It saved approx 45-50 seconds to take the left route. Any hints on where you made the other minute + up? I'm more curious than anything. Maybe some QTE's could have been done faster. My general inputs are not that bad in this run...... maybe they are.

Originally I just ran the game as a concept to show people that any game can be entertaining when interesting ideas are applied. All credit still goes to Cody Miller for making the base of running this game much easier.
Exoray
Single-segment and segmented runs are separate categories so the times wouldn't be comparable. A single-segment run would not be obsoleted by a faster segmented run so even if you were slower than the segmented you'd still be able to submit.

Single-segment runs are timed from the start of control in the beginning to the loss of control at the end of the game. There's no separate timing for each chapter. This means that timing will be including all loading screens and all the cutscenes you will pass by.
Edit history:
Hamers: 2012-04-12 11:52:18 am
Hamers: 2012-04-12 11:51:17 am
And for my run credits goes to Cody and you Cheesy

Your reaction time is excellent btw. I'm way slower (maybe because I have 20 handwritten papers flying around, because of the single-segment run xD). But my improvements make up for it.
I also made it a little bit harder for me by setting the difficulty to high the entire game.

There are several improvements possible, most of them only save some seconds, but it adds up in the end.

-Prologue: Fight scene with Jason: Failing some QTE's is faster here

-Sleazy Place: It's a little bit faster to say nothing to Lauren. Shelby then leaves automatically, which saves some seconds.
-Crime Scene: Go directly to Blake and talk to him. It saves some seconds, because Norman talks while he is taking off his ARI. When you go to the tent, he first takes them off, then starts talking, which wastes time.

-The Park: Do nothing, while Shaun sits on the seesaw, Merry-Go-Round. You fail after a short timer, which is slightly faster then succeeding at it. Also when you buy Shaun candy and you failed the Merry-Go-Round beforehand, Shaun already walked back to the bench and is ready to leave. Ethan walks faster than Shaun, so this will save some seconds too.

-Hassan's shop: In this chapter I really went all the way to improve time. I choose the left aisle, fail to pick up the pan, alert the robber, use a combination of talking and failing at the 'hands up' prompt to make the talking to fail as fast as possible. Then Hassan gets shot. I actually loose 3 seconds here, but it saves me 20 seconds in the end, because Shelby doesn't receive the shoe box, which means, you don't have to burn it in the last chapter.

-Lexington Station: Cody was wrong here. There is a timer and a body counter. After you hit 50 people, the nightmare always ends, regardless of the timer. So I directly turn backwards to the entrance, because there are the most people you can knock over.

-Suicide Baby: Look out the window while talking to Susan. After the talk you are already at the door and not near the bed.

-The butterfly: As you guessed, you can take the left route, which saves a lot of time. There is also a glitch or a strange behavior, while crawling. If you perform a certain series of movement/turning commands, Ethan gives up 20 seconds sooner. Is hard to reproduce though.

-The golf club: Hit the ball not so hard, it saves a little bit of time, because the ball doesn't need so much time to land.

.... and much more Cheesy

I also improved some fight scenes and some dialog choices were not the fastest. One in particular saves alone 15 seconds.

@moooh
Thanks for clarification. I will try my best then Smiley
Wow. Thanks for those tips. I would have never guessed or thought of those. The only one I maybe would have thought of was the Prologue but it was hard to time as I did not have a stop watch. I think you can maybe beat the segmented time.

And yeah I used papers to react better, it is very useful. I actually was considering an SS myself but all the papers really put me off. I was actually going to ask someone to handle the paperwork and verbally speak what I needed to do seconds in advance. This would be really useful in SS.
Oh yeah. Pretty good idea ^^
It's really funny, because I have the entire game on 18 sheets of paper. Every single command you need to perform. Took a while xD

But a speaker would really be great, because sometimes you need to perform many commands in a short period of time with only little breaks in between. My eyes either get lost on the paper or I can't read fast enough to keep up with the game xD

But I'm constantly improving. In a week or so I might start recording Wink

Btw, which recording device do you use? HD PVR?
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2012-04-12 12:48:41 pm
I used the HD PVR for that run but now I use the Intensity Pro for capturing. If you have a PC and a semi decent spec recording the run with Intensity Pro is recommended (lossless capture) but if your PC is lacking (or have laptop) you can easily just use HD PVR as I did. Just make sure you capture at max bitrate (13.5, 720p).

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the run.