List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Used to exist. (really!)

Scott 'slYnki' Angus and Chris 'scurty' Wasnetsky's Legendary difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V is fine. Other than the stated and obvious. Mostly editing stuff that I'm sure Nate will give a final word on.

No cheating.

Now to gameplay.

Wow...just wow. I had fully expected to see at least one or two major mistakes, but no. Other than a few missed headshots and small waits, mentioned by the runners in the maw, the run was perfect.

Lots of grenade jumps, great use of vehicles in places you wouldn't expect, lot's of sharpshooting, grenade sticking, and melee kills.

The run was well-thought and planned, fun to watch, and brought back great memories.

My only complaint is the large skips at Keyes and The Maw. Neat stuff, but I'm wondering if they deserve their own category?

Regardless, it's a great run that will entertain and surprise a lot of people.

Decision: Accept!

Quote:
Just watched it. Nothing in there that would indicate cheating. Video and audio are okay.

Play was excellent; it was mostly the little things that had me impressed. I can say that the strategies used in the run are optimal. My only complaint is that they did not 360 the Maw jump :-p

Definite yes.

Quote:
Wall of text inc...

A/V - Fine, goes mono in some bits, but that's explained in the comments.
Cheating - Wall hax. And lots of them.

Overall an incredible run, let's jump  into the specific level comments (Sorry for the wall of text btw, I got carried away while watching it for the third time haha. It really is a great run though, so don't read this if you don't want it spoiled.)

Pillar of Autumn - It's very obvious from the very first 3 seconds of gameplay that this run is going to be incredible, as the MC himself decides to punch a hole in the ceiling and run around in the abyss for a while, if for no other reason than to scare the poor marine trying to give him instructions. He then jumps over another marine trying to give him assistance. Shortly after entering the bridge, he changes his mind about this whole "savior of the universe" business and tries to return to the cryo-tube, but that just ends up triggering a cutscene that throws him headlong into cafeteria combat. After fighting his way through ridiculously large groups of the grenade fodder that the mere mortal marines call "The Covenant", Master Chief hops onto the nearest escape pod whose destination is "The large spinning death ring that has the capability to destroy all life in the known universe, a.k.a. Halo".

Halo - Master Chief, being the extreme badass he is, decides that bridges are for women and children and that real men go from point A to point B by launching themselves into the air with explosions. He then proceeds to utterly destroy the covenant reinforcements with a handgun and their own grenades. After a short driving segment that involves the Chief activating the lightbridge and then sliding the warthog up onto the ramp like a Formula1 racer, he decides that the easiest way to get off this god-forsaken ringworld is to initiate mass genocide on all marine survivors. Once everything and everybody is dead, he hops on Foehammer's Pelican and leaves the scene of the crime.

Truth and Reconciliation- The Chief, not finding the marine's jokes about not having wings to be very funny, decides that he'd rather kill himself than stick around with these morons. Instead of blowing himself to pieces, however, he merely launches himself to the top of a cliff and skips most of the combat in the early half of the level. After pulling a better Rambo than Rambo ever could, Master Chief takes the magical purple energy elevator into the enemy's ship and commences utter destruction. Apparently the Chief has been in this ship before, because he seems to know EXACTLY where he's going at all times. Although, then again, that could be attributed to the fact that all of the other doors are locked. A quick explosives launch leads the MC to his destination, where he decides that killing the marines he came down here to save would be a good idea (he tends to do this a lot…). He then busts out the thermal vision goggles to pull 3 quick-snipes on some invisible elites to end his destruction.

Silent Cartographer - John decides that the marines can fight for themselves while he enjoys long walks on the beach in the wrong direction, then finds an abandoned vehicle and proceeds to slam it down the covenant's throat in the map room building. Master Chief then pulls a David Blaine and does some voodoo magic that lands him safely some 300 feet below where he was, and that's after he put the Warthog's standard ejection seat to good use. He then decides to turn into the Invisible Man while he escapes, leaving the entire Covenant armada to sit with their thumbs planted firmly in their asses while he takes his leave on the nearest Pelican.

Assault on the Control Room - Again finding a bridge, the obvious best course of action to take is to skip it entirely, this time around by jumping off of it. The Covenant, so utterly and completely stunned by this show, decided that the magic man will rape their women and children if they don't get the hell away from this level, and as such refuse to spawn for the rest of the mission. It seems they forgot a few vehicles, however, and the MC makes great use of this by taking a Sunday drive in a Ghost and a few quick flights with Banshee Airlines.

343 Guilty Spark - Quickly running forward into the facility, Master Chief discovers that the assault rifle shots are coming from *gasp* scripted events! After venturing forth into the facility he is introduced to a flock of headcra- I mean, Flood infection form. He then fights his way through hordes of zombies and the like to accomplish a goal that wasn't particularly clearly explained. Following the worlds most dramatic elevator ride, he uses several grenade launches to blast his way to the surface faster. Then the marines make some cheeky remark about his clothing, so he caps the bitches and rolls out. Some quick combat ensues, and a glowing blue orb abducts the Chief in a plain black van marked with "FREE CANDY".

Library - As Libraries tend to be, this mission is long and boring, and even after watching this video twice I can't come up with any interesting storyline for this one. As such, we're going to skip over this level and assume that what happened was essentially equivalent to 343 Guilty Spark raping the Chief.

Two Betrayals - MC apparently escaped the clutches of his rapist abductor and performs Grand Theft Banshee to run away and call the intergalactic police. Upon reaching their office, he is informed that this Ringworld is out of their jurisdiction and they can't do anything to help him. Being furious at this discovery, John takes out his pent up rage on every living thing around him. He's so distraught that he even walks across the next few bridges instead of doing something manly and outlandish to skip them. Oh, and there's also tons of quick combat mixed in here. Forgot about that bit. Since he wasn't able to skip any bridges this time around, he skips the last bit of the elevator. Following a quick traffic violation and Grand Theft Ghost, the MC purchases a Banshee from a nearby elite and uses it to ascend to the nearest objective. He then drops out of the banshee and into a Ghost, which he blasts through a door with some rockets. The next segment is essentially the Halo equivalent to the scene in Mulan where the Huns pop out of the snow, but instead it's Flood spawning in the sights of MC's rocket launcher reticule. Much driving ensues, followed by a quick flight, then some stuff gets blown up.

Keyes - The Chief again jumps onto the ceiling to skip several long boring hallways, then discovers that (SPOILER ALERT) Keyes is an adult film star. He then uses ANOTHER shield bump to get into a banshee, then uses it to fly off into the sunset like any good action hero. But wait! It's not the end yet…

The Maw - John crash lands into the Pillar of Autumn, and then gets all nostalgic about the first mission that happened all of 65 minutes ago. He jumps into the ceiling AGAIN, uses a revert to last save to load the cafeteria, then jumps on some light fixtures to skip a whole bunch of stuff. More explosions follow. The Chief then begins a timed race to the finish, only to be pissed off that the music playing in this level isn't the Smoky and the Bandit theme song. After the most skillful driving that the world has ever seen, the chief hops into a spaceship and blasts off into the horizon. Good game, Master Chief, good game.

Again, I apologize for the wall of text, but I was having fun lol.

Final decision: Accept. Very few mistakes ANYWHERE, this was a run on par with everything I'd expect from the runners. Great job guys.

Quote:
Just finished watching the run.  No cheating during the run. Video and Audio are just fine.

Tricks: There are plenty of strategies in there that I've never seen before, along with some great classics such as the Keyes Shield bump, Maw door bump, and AotCR drop. Great job to both the runners, they produced the fastest runs I've seen of those levels yet.

Decision: Absolutely yes!

Quote:
I had no playback issues (MPC, Windows XP). MD5 checksum is E6D9A2B804F9D068C274FCB76439DD59, I hope that's correct.
Video and audio quality is fine, except for the last three levels and the ending, in which the right audio channel is mute and the left channel seems to be slightly out of synch (especially in Two Betrayals). Both problems can and should be fixed. These levels also have some annoying artifacts in some scenes that look like something went wrong with deinterlacing.

The Pillar of Autumn: Awesome OOB glitch at the beginning. The fights are all nice and fast.

Halo: He's taking out the Covenant at the dropships pretty fast. It doesn't look very impressive if you watch it but I wouldn't know that he wasted any time here. Good warthog driving skills.

Truth and Reconsiliation: That turret nade jump bump thingy at the beginning was sweet. The fights in this level aren't all perfect and he missed some shots here and there, but they're still very fast. Missing shots at parts where he's taking out enemies while he's walking shouldn't matter anyway. At 19:49 he isn't jumping up the rocks on the right sight, instead he's taking the gap and left route to the camouflage. Is that faster, safer or both? Jumping directly onto the third floor at 26:34 was nice. Taking out the three sword elites at the end of the level that fast with just three shots was IMO one of the best scenes in this run.

Silent Cartographer: The way he clipped through the wall was new to me. I've seen it before but with a grenade used to push the warthog against the Master Chief.

Assault on the Control Room: Not much to say about this level. He's cutting corners and taking the direct routes. He might have entered the first banshee a bit faster. Turning around the second banshee with a grenade was nice. PS: Why do speedrunners always draw smileys on walls? They should try something more original.

343 Guilty Spark: Taking out the flood breaking through the doors that fast with the grenades was impressive.

The Library: No nade jumps at 52:55 and 57:00? Wouldn't that save a second or two?

Two Betrayals: You can see that the runner was trying to skip as much fights as possible. There are several moments where he was close to death. Why was he jumping through that gap at 1:07:40? Did that protect him from the explosion? Jumping out of the banshee and directly into the ghost after entering the tunnel was something I expected from a segmented run, but it still looks cool. He wasted some time at 1:12:30. He shot the ghost, tried to flip it, realized that it didn't work and shot it again. And that was right after a checkpoint. I didn't know that you can trigger the enemies by standing near the flood zombies on the rioght side at the tunnels exit too. Though walking a few meters on the snow after passing the last gate to activate the Final Run title and the enemies does the same to me. However, I don't know if that's faster. But why was he shooting the zombies there?

Keyes: Grenade jumping to save some little time. Was he trying to perform a second shield bump? I guess he was just killing time until the elite arrived. Getting out of bounds with the banshee at the end of the level was cool. And I thought this level would look exactly like the IL runs.

The Maw: That enemy wave at 1:19:48, I think they sometimes don't appear there. Well, it's not like he lost any time. He was slowing down at 1:20:07 to get the checkpoint. Why didn't they cut out the menu at 1:20:25? It's good to know that the game loads the textures of the cafetaria if you revert to save there, but to me that's just a simple save+load segmentation and I would therefore cut out the menu part. I didn't know you can get through the barriers with your warthog at the end of the level.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Another fine run from the High Speed Halo community.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
scurty: 2010-11-19 01:26:40 am
Thanks for all the comments, guys!

To answer a few questions/concerns:

Verifier 1: Not sure how it will be classified. The Keyes skip is the only large one (which saves 5+ minutes), the PoA skip saves 1 second and the Maw skip saves like 10 seconds or so.

Verifier 2: Sorry about the Maw jump. Sad

Verifier 3: Fun read!

Verifier 5: Yeah, last 3 levels are screwed up beyond repair; I didn't record to DVDs so all I have to work with is the raw footage I captured.. nothing much I can do about it now. About T&R, even though this is a segmented run, getting the invisibility is a must. The enemies at the grav lift are all spaced out and taking them out while invisible is both the easiest and fastest method. It also saves a lot of headaches.

52:55: From what I recall, slYnki said he didn't get a checkpoint if he nade jumped through, making the segment really long and tough with all the enemies shooting at you from behind. I didn't test out the level so having him explain it would be best. All I can say is that he definitely tested it out but decided against it.

57:00: I'm guessing the same reason, though, again I'm not 100% sure. My guess is that his shields would still be down when rounding the corner where the enemies start to appear.

TB: I'm notoriously bad at fighting, haha. I try to get my grenades to do all the work, which surprisingly didn't slow me down much at all. 67:40, I go through that gap to avoid being seen by the flood through the window to the right. The whole goal of this room was to blast my way through with grenades without any flood seeing me. I can't shoot them because then they would all come swarming at me (and with 1 bar of health that isn't a good option). Luckily grenades don't alert your presence. I found through testing that going through the middle is obviously not good, and going to the right isn't either. Going to the left is only slightly slower than blazing through the middle, but even with full health you can't blaze through on legendary. Going through that gap was just to not be seen by the flood in the middle room. It looks painfully slow, but I tested the hell out of that room, trust me. ^_^

72:30: I'm still really unhappy with this part of the run. I was having a really hard time getting the ghost through the door without any grenades. Getting stuck in the door caught me by surprise. I should have redone the segment but for some reason I didn't.

Keyes: The second shield bump was just for fun, haha. I need to wait for the banshees to land before getting in; and after that the level is on a timer.

79:48: Correct, sometimes they appear, sometimes they don't. I could never tell when they would or wouldn't appear, so I always threw a grenade for assurance.

80:07: Yeah, basically had no choice. Getting a checkpoint in the ceiling quickly takes a VERY long time to get it without waiting up there for five minutes.

80:25: I thought about this a little bit. I was leaning towards cutting it out, but then I didn't like the transition that happened. Also, I liked to keep it in for a "proof that I loaded the graphics" kind of thing. If I dropped down, went into the hallway where I got the last checkpoint, and reverted to save, the graphics would load in that hallway. Although it would have no benefit for me in this run, I could have loaded the graphics in another part of the level to help aid me when up in the ceiling. I just felt that showing where I dropped and reverted would be safest. I'm pretty sure that if I loaded the graphics in another part of the level, I would need ot drop down, run over there, and revert to save in order for it to be legit timing-wise. I hope that made sense. x_x

Getting through the barriers at the end quickly is very difficult on the Xbox. I had my sensitivity at 10 and still it wasn't high enough. You'll notice that when I get through I clip onto one of the barrels for a second.. that wouldn't have happened if I were playing on the PC.
XXY
Hooray!
I'm getting audio stuttering at several points in the video (both MQ and HQ), e.g. 1:21-1:26 and 6:34-6:39, but none of the verifiers seem to have commented on it. What's up with that?
It's just an encoding problem. We had to convert from .wmv to .avi and something happened inbetween.. nothing we could really do about it. I spent a ton of time trying to splice the segments together correctly, it was a major pain in the ass because we had to use Windows Movie Maker. I know it happens a few times, but hopefully, overall, it isn't too bad of an issue.
Clam
I just want to say that I absolutely loved this run.  Gameplay was phenomenal and the commentary was perfect-- great blend of information and humor/entertainment.

Amazing job.
XXY
Glad you enjoyed it, my friend =)