1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

The High Speed Halo team's Legendary run (submitted through Cody Miller)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
As much as I hate to, I have to say reject for this run. The gameplay is top-notch, really. The way the run is presented is the problem. My grievances are these:

1. The segments are all edited together, making it very difficult to both determine true segment break points and ensure that no time is edited out in between.

2. Load times (and screens) have been edited out between levels. As a console run, these should be included, or this can at best be considered a collection of individual level runs.

3. Not seeing the levels begin from a menu means that there is no guarantee that all levels are played on Legendary Difficulty. Judging from damage taken I have no reason to assume otherwise, but I can't be sure.

4. Skulls. <Sigh.> Skulls are items that, when found and activated within the campaign, affect gameplay in one way or another, doing things such as increasing grenade force, granting extra abilities, and the like. These effects last until the console is reset. The key to this is that they do not have to be activated in the current campaign to be in effect, just in the current session/reset.
Since the video does not begin at console startup, it is impossible to tell what Skulls are in effect. If use of Skulls is unrestricted (i.e., use any Skulls for any segments of a run, changing and adjusting as desired), which would be the only way to ensure a fair playing field, then the two side trips in this run to retrieve them within the run itself are completely superfluous, as they could have been activated outside of the run instead.
The first skull picked up costs no time, as the segment is effectively restarted after its acquisition. The second pickup stays in the run, so that segment would have to be redone.

If the first three points can be fixed (by submitting original footage instead of edited), the fourth can be... negotiated, so to speak. I recommend discussion of Skull use in the forums, but I doubt a favorable outcome.

So once again, on the basis of gameplay I think this is a spectacular run, but it does not adhere to the standards that SDA has set, so I must reject.

Two more subsequent messages from the verifier:

Quote:
As another factor, there is a glitch that, using the Envy Skull, allows the player to become permanently invisible for roughly half of the game through abuse of the game's autosaves. This glitch is NOT used in the run, but along the grounds of unlimited Skull use, it is possible that it should have been, depending on whether use of such a glitch would constitute a separate category, a la save warping. Another topic for forum discussion.

Quote:
On second thought, the first Skull pickup actually costs a considerable amount of time. This would also have to be redone.

Here is my response after talking with Cody Miller.

Quote:
Okay sorry for taking so long to respond to your pm, but shit happens sometimes.

1. Segments have been edited together before, this isn't the first run that's been encoded this way.

Also, this is what the encoder said:

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that he can't tell where the segments cut (#1) but I can provide each and every splice if need be. I can explain in detail how we cut it together too, but there is no time cut out

2. I would agree with you, except load times differ on an original Xbox and the 360. Also, if you use a hard drive the load time is affected even further.

3. Honestly, the amount of damage you take and enemy AI should indicate whether the run was played on Legendary.

4. I don't see the problem here. The runners (yes, this was a team project) collect items and they remain with them the entire run. So?

The invisible skull glitch: The Halo runners discussed this glitch before attempting the run. They said it wasn't worth it since the glitch only works for one level.

Verifier response:

Quote:
I didn't know this was recorded on a 360; I just sort of assumed that it was an original box. I mean, if you think that my concerns are overruleable, go ahead and do it. I was just taking a clinical approach to it.

The invisible Skull glitch works on any level in which you play as Master Cheif - at least on the original XBox. I don't know on the 360, so they're probably right there. My only real concern with the collections of the skulls in the run is that it wasn't necessary. I'm thinking that it's like starting run timing while a runner is setting options in a menu before even starting a new game. However, I'm obviously far outnumbered here. Which is fine, if that's what the community decides. If they think the run is good to be submitted, I can't stop it. I just happen to disagree.

And really, I'm not trying to be a dick. Sorry if I've caused you undue headaches over this.

Quote:
ok done great run. doesnt suprise me coming from those guys. no cheating, video/sound good. to lazy to write any real comments but i know its good cos ive played the game a million times

Quote:
A few things to note:

Cairo station (scurty) - audio only appears on left side
Arbiter (djDAP) - left audio again, does appear later in the level
Gravemind (scurty) - left audio only

Probably doesn't matter, I just though you should know.

Awesome run though, sort of reminiscent of the HL2DQ stuff. I really enjoyed it, and I think all the crazy breaks and glitches will blow minds. Anyway, I apologize for being slow, I'm sure you guys have moved on by now haha.

Quote:
I have verified the Halo 2 Legendary run.

My initial impression of this run was "wow," and the feeling of amazement never ceases throughout the entire speedrun. The fact that this run is as fast as it is is amazing; the fact that it's also done on Legendary is simply unbelievable. In the longest levels of the run, I did notice a few one or two second mistakes, but that's certainly acceptable considering the overall difficulty. Any time apparently spent wasted during combat is actually being utilized so as to survive (it is VERY easy to die on Legendary).

The audio/video quality is excellent, with perhaps a bit of lag here and there, but no significant problems at all.

There are more segments used than there are levels, as is mentioned in the commentary; segments are done through checkpoints. You could ask the submitters of the run for the precise number if you wanted it.

The level times are all correct except for Uprising, the third-to-last level. The level time here is listed as 1:16, but the level goes from 1:19:00 to 1:20:26, which is 1:26, 10 seconds more than what they said. This changes the overall time to 1:27:59.

My overall recommendation would be to accept this very entertaining run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: The run was done by the High Speed Halo team, so you know it's high-quality gameplay. It's nice to finally have something from them.
Thread title:  
Just to further clarify the skull usage. This project was made with the intention of it being presented as playing through the levels one after the other in succession, as if it were a single segment run (which it isn't obviously). Where do skulls come into play during this? Well, the first skull picked up is the Envy skull on Delta Halo. The effect of the Envy skull will stay with the players from the time of pick up all the way until the end of the game, just as it would if you were to pick it up during a single segment run, the skull effect is with you until you reset the game. However, because nobody had "picked up" the Envy skull before that time, the runs before Delta Halo were not played with the Envy skull activated (because it had not been picked up yet).

That might sound a little confusing but hopefully it clears some things up. We could have just as easily played every level with Envy and Sputnik (the second skull picked up) activated, but it would serve little purpose if the goal was a "single segment run."

Concerning the actual significance of picking up skulls: the Envy skull was invaluable, later levels would have been much slower had you not been able to cloak around. Sputnik, while not as helpful as Envy, was still certainly helpful in a few spots in the later levels, the time saved by using it outweighed the time spent getting it.

As for my audio.. I capture my video and audio through a VCR which outputs to my TV and CC (for viewing and recording purposes, respectively). My VCR is very old and only has one audio input/output.

The time for Uprising was a typo, it is indeed 1:26.
Hooray! Thank for accepting the run  Smiley

Can't wait to see the newspost for this.

As for the permanent invisibility glitch, what I meant was that if you use it, it wears off at the end of the level. You'd have to turn your box off again to activate it for subsequent levels, negating any time saved by using it.
Woot. =)

Hope you guys enjoy watching the run as much as we did making it.
Hope rides alone.
can't wait to watch this Smiley
Great to see it accepted, am I correct in assuming from the verifier's comment "There are more segments used than there are levels, as is mentioned in the commentary;" that there is audio commentary throughout the entire run?
Quote:
Cairo station (scurty) - audio only appears on left side
Arbiter (djDAP) - left audio again, does appear later in the level
Gravemind (scurty) - left audio only

It's easy to fix something like this.
Mr. Twishall
Yes, there is audio commentary included for the whole run.
Holy cow.

The entire Metropolis run was AMAZING.
Hope rides alone.
Quote from Thiradell:
Yes, there is audio commentary included for the whole run.

This should be mentioned somewhere, I was quite surprised when I read it on Speedhalo. It is neither mentioned in the newspost nor in the comments. Sad.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Sorry, I didn't say this in the news because I didn't know about it. I always go through the text comments and typically if audio commentary exists it will be mentioned there, but not always. I added a mention in the news now, but once again, I'm sorry, and in the future I will try to work out a system where I will be notified in time. Smiley
How are there so many segments for this game?  I know this game has like a checkpoint system, but I don't remember it having a manual save or anything.
Mr. Twishall
When you get a checkpoint, you can save and quit and then resume later from that same checkpoint.
So they did that 160 times?  What would happen if they accidentally activated the next checkpoint and they wanted to go back and try it again?
Keep a copy of the save in their xbox memory card (yes, it exist!).
Quote from AjAX:
Keep a copy of the save in their xbox memory card (yes, it exist!).
I figured that is what they did but i wanted to know for sure and I also wanted to know if they had any problems doing this.
Quote from jam287:
So they did that 160 times?  What would happen if they accidentally activated the next checkpoint and they wanted to go back and try it again?

Commit suicide quickly 5 times, and Halo 2 will send you to the previous checkpoint.

It's a system designed to prevent gameplay from being stuck due to a bad checkpoint.

Other option is to make a save on the HD, and reset if something goes wrong.