Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2011-06-01 10:26:11 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/HalfMinuteHero.html

Hero 3 run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video is fine, but there's something funky going on with the audio (specifically just the BGM i guess) at around 0:14 (at the 1 countdown) all the way to the beginning of the credits. It's like the BGM inhaled a bunch of helium or something. (forgive my pitiful audio troubleshooting abilities >_>)  It's not a big deal especially in a run as short as this, but it's still a little bit icky. I think it's better for the more advanced techies to determine the problem though. >_>

anyway, onto the run itself. I can't believe it, really. When Raoh and i were conversing on YT about his new Hero 3 records i always thought it was done from pure luck manipulation in the form of crits against the boss. To find out that he didn't get a single crit and STILL got below 12'50" boggles me. It's awesome how a game mode with absurdly strict speedrunning routes can manage to cough up a ton of solutions, and this is the best one yet.

This route not only eliminates some luck manipulation (2 crab fights instead of getting a 2nd scorpion ohko) but also some (apparently) unnecessary fights. It's also amazing how this run can still be improved, though unless a much more optimized route is found, (hard enough as it is) the only room for improvement would be getting crits against the boss.

Definite accept. I really like to see the BGM quality fixed though, being my fave BGM out of the entire game. Half a second improvement is mighty huge for this game, so i declare you the Half-Second hero! *gets shot*

oh and PS. now that i have seen your strat, i shall someday take back the record through cheap thievery and mindshattering luck manipulation, and make a run with all crit hits on the boss! Now if only my PSP's buttons were fixed... Cheesy

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed the audio problem too.  It's actually present right at the start of the video too - it sounds like the audio was encoded in -really- low quality or something.  It... as said, it's really notable and really unfavourable.  It's my major complaint but that might just be the verification quality copy.

I'm also not a fan of the couple-second-long stop in town; even if it's not Hero 30 Hard Mode, nor is it on the timer, it still looks kind of silly!  And finally, although I'm not entirely sure just how hard it is to pull off this run (I really ought to try this route out myself), I can't help but wonder if it would be worth luck manipulating at least one critical hit for the boss, but I'm really not sure how much that'll actually save you?

...BUT, with that said, that doesn't change the fact that holy hell this is fast and really well done.  As stated previously, I'd like to see a version with better quality audio.

Oh, and no cheating detected.

My vote is for accepting.

Quote:
its tight manip and its an accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over the current run.

Congratulations to Clayton 'Raoh' Potrzeba!
Thread title:  
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm not stoked with the things that are wrong with it myself, especially since I think I know what was going wrong with the sound. I did this on a laptop, and something like this has happened before; I have reason to believe that for some reason known only to god and Lenovo, during recording it was taking in ambient sound through my speakers, though I don't know WHY. Though I managed to realize this, I just wasn't sure I could actually DO that run again, and I went with it.

As far as the Hero standing around in town... uhhh, well, wouldn't YOU be pensive about fighting some kind of huge Archfiend in that span of time? Cheesy I did, knowing full well that that run was, up to then, the best I had done, and I knew that there would be exactly 0'00:03 left on the clock if I didn't crit, and I zapped over to the castle EXACTLY right. So, I kind of repositioned myself physically and abused that town pause a little before I made the dash upward.

Perhaps I can fix these things later, with some kind of improvement on the route as well. I, for one, would LOVE to see an even better route happen one way or the other, so xarugas, come at me bro Cheesy

Thanks again!
PSP zealot
i would if my PSP isn't in shambles right now >_>

the down and right D-Pad buttons have lost their sensitivity, and i have to press harder to make them register. Same goes for the X button and to a certain extent, the O button. I bought a new rubber padding for them but the buttons became too stiff so i hard-modded the old D-pad rubber pads and they work well enough but still not optimal for speedrunning a game like HMH.

i've recently bought a used/refurbished PSP2000 (with very nice button feel) from Gamestop during my family's US vacation back in May, but i haven't gotten around to installing you-know-what yet. (coz PSP2000s are a pain like that) When i do, i'll definitely get back to HMH. It's been a while since i've played the game but a few hours of game time will get my previous skill back to par.

grats on the run dood, i'm looking forward to that Hard mode Hero 30 run you mentioned, too. Evil
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
Nice to know that HMH is generating interest again...  I really need to get around to working on the speed runs again for this game...  All the same, congrats to the runner on an improved speed run of Hero 3...

Also for anyone who doesn't know, XBLA is going to get HMH, but sadly, they are updating the graphics...  Yea... this might be a problem...
Quote from xarugas:
i would if my PSP isn't in shambles right now >_>

the down and right D-Pad buttons have lost their sensitivity, and i have to press harder to make them register. Same goes for the X button and to a certain extent, the O button. I bought a new rubber padding for them but the buttons became too stiff so i hard-modded the old D-pad rubber pads and they work well enough but still not optimal for speedrunning a game like HMH.

i've recently bought a used/refurbished PSP2000 (with very nice button feel) from Gamestop during my family's US vacation back in May, but i haven't gotten around to installing you-know-what yet. (coz PSP2000s are a pain like that) When i do, i'll definitely get back to HMH. It's been a while since i've played the game but a few hours of game time will get my previous skill back to par.

grats on the run dood, i'm looking forward to that Hard mode Hero 30 run you mentioned, too. Evil

You let me know when all that stuff happens, and I'll get back on this horse. In the meantime, I have some Etrian Odyssey to play, fufufu.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-06-30 02:16:18 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from MAS8705:
Also for anyone who doesn't know, XBLA is going to get HMH, but sadly, they are updating the graphics...  Yea... this might be a problem...

I just bought the game yesterday, and you can set the graphics back to the original style in the main menu. Also, I have to say I love this game's take on the JRPG. Smiley
PSP zealot
yep it's very innovative and fun. There's actually a sequel to be released in Japan this year...hopefully it gets localized someday. Cheesy