List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Single-segment Dark Lord 30

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: HMH DL run -> Honestly as its played, its a solid run but i'm going to reject it. The final episode can be done as it is at least 5 seconds faster. If you just spawn units and send them forward from before noire's front line, they will kill him faster. (this is pretty tight). Also the runner is a bit too conservative in his strategies. Its very possible to just 'run and gun' a few of these levels. while it is a bit risky, the run is very short and should at least be used in the first few levels.
The runner also 'spams' the use of the X button to much. It causes the monsters to do a short hop wastinga bout.. .5 seconds per time its mashed. If he summons some more between each press its good, or when used for redirecting (the one mission with the 5 noire statues) its good. But he wastes time in a few other spots. For a run this short. I can't let this game have that many problems, or not press its luck (early).

Quote:
'sup mofos, it's me, Yours Truly. What, I'm not using my usual style? Well, yeah. I'm sure you've heard of me, my verification commentary that is not suitable for all viewers, my talking about recent events that are no longer recent at the time of posting (hey, how 'bout that British election?).

Unfortunately, mikey boy has finally had enough of me, telling me that "everyone" is getting tired of my verification responess. Which is clearly not true! Josh the Funkdoc, ridd3r., and maybe Heidman, I guess you guys are not included in the definition of "everyone". Sad Way to ostracize the little guy, mike. As long as I bring a smile to some people's faces, I think I've done my job of entertaining via verification, instead of giving an undetailed, boring, short list of things.

But hey, just to prove I'm not on arrogant unlistening jackass, I'll make things a little more coherent from now on. Wink Not to say I'm going to become a corporate icon like everyone else and their undetailed, boring, short list of things, or anything, but I'll tone down the crazy from now on. Just for you guys! So whether you love me, you hate me, or are indifferent to me, here we go!

Some thing never change, such as my love of the PSP, and my giving a description of the game before I get into it. Half-Minute Hero's a game I first learned about in a topic on another board where users were asked to describe their sex life with a video game title. Seriously though, it's a retro-game on the PSP that combines several different styles of gameplay into one fast-paced action-packed adventure. Unfortunately, in a showing that would make even the ninja from N cry foul, you only have 30 seconds to win, before you lose. The only way out is to either pay the Goddess of Time to grant you more time, or, to be quick. Guess what our running man is doing today, at this very site, Speed Demos Archive? Oh, did I mention this battle in the game has apparently been going on for 500 years? 500 years of 30 second battles? What the hell, man!?

There are six different modes, but only one has been run...Evil Lord 30. In this mode, you take on the role of "a beautiful evil lord" who, quote, "tries to lift the curse on his lover and destroy all evil!" I trust you can see the problem with that, no? Also, he became evil because he "was so fixated on his beauty", but the one thing he finds more beautiful is his lover. She was cursed though, but a hero managed to save her. But in this allegedly insane verifier's opinion, he didn't save shit, because she's still a bat/umbrella hybrid (some weird Digimon lookalike in cutscenes) and if she stays in the sun for longer than 30 seconds, she becomes a monster. And that simply won't do for our Evil Lord. So he goes out into the human village and summons monsters to...DESTROY THE UGLY STATUES!!! Oh, and kill anyone else in the way. It's like Rock-Paper-Scissors, or that one minigame in Final Fantasy 7. You know the one. Minus the Tri-Stoners and shit. Well, you do pick up monsters, but that's about it. Still no Tri-Stoners, though. Fuck yeah, Tri-Stoners.

Anyway, let's not waste any more time, shall we? And who knows. Maybe all viewers, and I do mean all viewers will...ah, who am I kidding. There's no accounting for taste, and thus, the biggest bigots will still hate on me. But at least this commentary is suitable for some viewers now. Smiley

=================

Level 1:
Done fast.

Level 2:
People in the way? Pah! This guy's a running man, baby. He just zergs the statue and the ugly thing falls in short order.

Level 3:
Evil wizards are summoned to attack the hulkish axe-wielding monsters. Unfortunately, aiming is not their strong point, nor is machine gunning it up, so it costs the running man slightly. Wasn't his fault, though.

Level 4:
Time seems to be spent to grind it up in this level. Hey, it's a means to an end!

Level 5:
I blinked and this was over.

Level 6
Have you ever seen enemies slaughtered by a stampede of elephants in a video game before? No? Maybe you've been slaughtered by an elephant? Well, watch this run to see enemies be slaughtered by elephants.

Level 7:
There is a deadly assassin in this level. A horrifying assassin...by the name of...Bill? Huh? Anyway, a lot of evil slimes and brutes take this guy out quick.

Level 8:
The evil lord is playing a game of tag now? Well, it's done quick! Minions are dropped to save time.

Level 9:
Cutting it close! I like it! The running man finishes with 5 seconds to spare. Sounds horrible? Well, this is a Level where you pretty much have to reset the time, so this is pretty fucking ballin. Yeah, who the hell needs to reset the time when you've got pure, unadulterated, running man power!?

Level 10:
I blinked and this was over. Clive the Mercenary dies before he can even bring his best.

Level 11:
Noire is the latest wannabe hero. The running man is held up a little by hits, but otherwise just charges through the wannabe's maze to slaughter him.

Level 12:
This is a perfect example of pussyism costing time. The running man attempts to get back 30 seconds, but he'd have won anyway if he hadn't. That's pathetic. Especially in a run as short as this one! It should be masterful! Perfection! Flawless! REJECT REJECT REJE-

but hey, if you look at it, you may have made the same move too.

...Well played.

Level 13:
It looked like there was a recording problem at the start of this Level. However, it turned out it was just me. Yes, I, Yours Truly, had a problem. No problem, though. This level is a complete zerg from what I've seen. The enemies zerg, and the running man zergs. A complete zerg! In fact, so complete, that the game lags a little. KEKEKE!!!!!

Level 14:
The only requirement for this stage is to take out a minister...which takes a stupid amount of time. I mean, he's a fucking minister, not an armored demon. So much time, that the running man lost confidence and went to the time goddess! What happened to the running man who just charged in on Level 2 and just dominated!? The Evil Lord also becomes a tennis ball for a few seconds. Oh well, though. I would've made the same move, I guess?

Level 15
Now this is what I'm talking about! The running man just skims along the edge of this level, easily squashing the king's one particular kind of troop. He then makes a dash at the king and sends out the demons. Despite the rest of the troops trying to gang rape him at the end, it's all to no avail, as the king is dead before the evil lord is dead.

Level 30
What!? No levels 16-29!??!?!! I'm confused too. I guess they're hard mode only (I've only experienced normal, which this run is). Why they didn't label it 16 here is a story for another day, or perhaps a crazier me. Anyway, we come full circle here - the running man just runs up to the target and destroys him. Easy shit.

=================

Final Verdict:

How do you like the new me? I don't. I need to strike a good balance, I think...but let's not turn this topic into yet another debate about my antics. I'll figure it out, just like I figured out what to say about this run: It's awesome, it kicks ass, it's on the PSP, there's no cheating, no audio/visual problems, the guy's a true running man, he needs to do more PSP runs, there's nothing more to say, so accept it!

Yours Truly,
Yours Truly

Quote:
Audio quality is great. Even if the video is a bit blurry (probably because of encoding it in low-quality for verification purposes) the action onscreen is clear so no problem there. No cheating here either.

Stage 2: With the spread-out formation of the enemies, it's easy to slip past the front line and summon a single Brute to take out the statue. Could've saved 4-5 secs.

Stage 3: Shooters are friggin hard to control making this stage a tough one. Making the shooters charge is a bad idea since they don't shoot while charging, thus no real damage is being dealt. It's better to summon the shooters near the enemies to act as turrets.

Stage 4: Could've used Brutes instead of shooters to take out the left statue.

Stage 5: Since the magic circle fully recovers when he got near the cannons, he could've charged in and summoned the Nimbles under the statue instead of trying to direct the scattered ones into the bottleneck. Finally, brutes are pretty good against statues and they have a larger hit-box than nimbles.

Stage 6: After taking out the frontline it's better to summon nimbles far away while being horizontally aligned with the boss. That way you can take out the boss without having to deal with the reinforcements.

Stage 8: The jellyfish are Nimble-types and if you make them charge diagonally downwards, they'll distract the enemy's frontline, kill the archers and open the path much faster.

Stage 9: Running up on the right-side path, summoning nimbles as bait for the statue's reinforcements, then slipping past the barrier and summoning brutes for the kill is the fastest route. The Mana level up will have to be delayed to the next level, though. (not a problem since the next level can be cleared without the level up)

Stage 11: He summoned nimbles too early thus only had lizards instead of the tigers to take out the 1st group of archers. You only need to take out the top 2 archers to be able to run past that area and up to the cannons for a quick Noire kill. About 2 secs wasted.

Stage 12: Could've summoned more brutes at the start while the magic circle was full to take out the first few statues faster. Using the strongest Brute (the magma thingy) is also better than using the red monsters, obviously. He gets stuck trying to direct a brute to the rightmost statue when he could've simply summoned one in the chokepoint and charge it from there (the reinforcements don't trigger until you're past the chokepoint). Despite all that the time is pretty good, although once again it could be faster by a couple seconds.

Stage 13: ALOT of time could be saved by going right under the fortress and summon-spam brutes (using the eagles to scatter the enemies). Not only does that destroy the fortress almost instantly, it makes it MUCH easier to charge brutes onto the statue without having them get stuck outside the path.

Stage 14: You can slip past the first group of reinforcements and the frontline of brute knights by luring them downward/upward with some fancy footwork. (no need to summon) You can also lure the rearline of brute knights by summoning a couple brutes near the lower-most archers; this makes a tiny opening at the very top of the map where you can slip by the defenses without getting hit more than once. From there it's easy to take out the boss with a summon-spam of nimbles. It's a pretty tough stage that's somewhat impossible to perfect on the first try, especially at the end of a SS run, but still >_>

Stage 15: The right side is a bad choice since the nimbles (and Clive) can easily catch up to you. The left side is pretty much flawless: you can simply walk all the way up to the king without having to deal with any of the enemies; summon-spam Brutes while staying as close to the king as possible and moving in a circular fashion is instant kill. Almost 10secs could be saved here.

Stage 30: Could've done better at directing the Nimbles to hit Noire. Otherwise it's good.

Could've been a whole minute faster with the methods I mentioned, and those were just a few things I thought up in 1-3 reruns of each stage. Someone else might have a much more optimized strategy and can easily obsolete the run within a few days.

Verdict: Reject. I hate to reject a run since it's my first time being a verifier, but it just feels...rushed. It's a good run, but it can easily be obsoleted with a run that's been through a few minutes' worth of extra planning per stage.

Decision: Reject

Reason: It's a good run, but there's a bunch of little mistakes here and there that can be easily fixed because it's such a short run.

PM me if you'd like to see this run.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2010-05-21 11:17:02 pm
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
16 stages in under 8 minutes... That right there is a good worth shooting for, and while I'm glad to have pulled that much off, I know that I can still do a bit more to make the run passable...  As we speak, I'm working getting a more passable run of Dark lord 30 worked out and submitted, although I was hoping that I could have had it ready before the verification was posted, but hey, I'm ready for it...

I'll admit that there are a few stages that really do need to be worked on, especially 14... To be honest, I don't have any clue as how to blow my way through there to get in there without being a tennis ball and bypassing them while doing it, but I'll come up with something better...

Thanks to all who helped with the verifications, and be sure to be ready for the next one very soon...

P.S.: Last verifier: No worries, I've been putting in those "few extra minutes" in the planning and I'll have it beat in no time...

yours truly: don't change a thing...  you are the only thing to comic relief that the site has...