List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This run is executed very well for the most part. There are only a couple of gripes here and there:

At either encounter with those armored lizard guys (5:14, 9:26), you could have actually let him shoot you to kill you immediately and exit the encounter faster since you still only have 2HP and 1 life to spare. I think it should've been done to save a couple of seconds, although I guess it's nicer looking to not have deaths in your run, so I can kind of see how this was overlooked.

Since this is a single segment run, I can't be too hard on the random encounters he gets, but at the very start he should get at least above average luck since it's the only bit the runner can realistically manipulate with resets. He got 2 encounters on the way to the first forced fight (could've done better on that), but he got zero encounters from that point to the town, which is pretty good and (to me) makes up for the 2 encounters previously, making it a good start. Later on in the run, there are also a few more intervals from town to level and vice versa that also don't get encounters, which is pretty nice.

At 11:02, he talks to a tree, like some kind of crazy person. After realizing how foolish this was, Firebrand then finds the Falcon Wings in the branches and continues on his journey.

What a horribly dumb glitch that is at 12:00. That enemy's death explosion froze on the screen, so when he scrolls right to kill the enemy on the right, the enemy respawns on top of it and wastes like 8 more seconds. This was a forced fight too, so you couldn't even kill yourself to exit quicker.

He misses the skip at 28:50 the first time, but makes it quickly on his 2nd try. A forgivable mistake since he's literally at the end of the run here.

As far as bosses go, he destroys them all very quickly. I don't really have gripes with any bosses... 'cept Rushifell and Breager kinda.

I remember being able to do the 2 cycle on  Loki   Lucifer  Rushifell a bit faster when I played this. However I won't really hold this against you since you were totally hitting him continuously, but the first couple of shots weren't doing damage for some reason, which is unfortunate. You can kind of take the hit after point blanking him on the right and just stick to the right side until he lowers his hand again (which happens when you're above him in the run). Although since this wasted less than a second, this isn't a big deal.

The runner doesn't have to kill the homing beam before point-blanking Breager. You could actually just ignore it by getting into position before he starts his attack (which is right between both of his arms), then get a tad closer when he puts his arm down while mashing to get your 9 shots in and he should start exploding within 2 seconds instead of the 5 seconds it took in the run. It's actually not risky to set up either since if somehow you get smacked with the homing beam you'll just take 2 damage, which would hardly phase you when you're already in his face destroying it off. So maybe if you want to improve this run, keep this in mind for next time.

Keep in mind that I'm only mentioning what I think is not optimal; everything else that I'm not mentioning is top notch gameplay to me. Alot of these levels are pretty tough considering you have so little HP, but the runner makes little to no mistakes through out these sections, which is pretty impressive. One of my favorite parts of the run is the fight with Zakkudruzer. Normally that fight takes a while because of how hard it is to point blank him since he's constantly changing altitude, but the runner gets like the best luck which made that fight extremely fast. I feel this is a good benchmark for a run of this game and I look forward to any improvements in the future, if you're up for it.

Accept.

Quote:
A/V acceptable for a Game Boy title. I remember the controls being a lot less tight on the original GQ than on the NES sequel, so I was pretty impressed by how well the runner handled general movement without hesitation throughout the run, even when forcibly going through with low health to help speed things up. Verifier 1 covers the mistakes a lot better than I would have, so I don't have too much else to say. I perhaps should have been more critical like the first verifier, but it was just a nice, smooth run generally so I was mostly just sitting there in awe. The run is certainly very improvable, which is usually the case for a first run of a game on SDA, but I think it sets the bar high enough that it's worth putting up. I don't know how much competition this game will have, but at least verifier 1 seems like he knows the game well enough to give it a shot at some point.

I assume SDA wouldn't time the opening cutscene, because they never do in games. I'm a little less certain of whether SDA will use Startropics as a precedent for the ending time on this or if there is another game that includes post-final boss stuff in the timing. I'm going to time from initial player control in stage 1 to when the final boss dies, and if you (Flip) feel that this timing period is incorrect, let me know. The time I got for the run with this method is 30:06.

This is an accept in my book.

Quote:
Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Christian 'bailli' Landvogt!
Thread title:  
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Excellent job bailli! I'm really happy to see this game get its own page!
Yay my very first run on SDA Smiley

Thanks to all verifiers.

The idea to get killed by those "armored lizard guys" actually didn't cross my mind for some reason ^^

Since I submitted my run there has been some new TASes for this game. One skips the first jump power-up and the wings of the falcon. The actual skip of the jump power up isn't that hard, but the following levels get much harder... and skipping the wings of falcon and the jump power-up I think is very hard for a human player, and skipping only the wings saves very little time...
What I am more curious about, is how the other japanese TAS glitches through the walls/levels, but so far I couldn't find any info on that...

Both TASes save some time in Breager's castle by taking damage to avoid switching "weapons"...
B+Left, Left, Up+B, ★
Hey bailli, awesome run on this game! I was verifier 1.

I had a feeling death abuse didn't cross your mind when getting this run done; it only saves a couple of seconds when you do it anyways and it technically looks kind of ugly to have deaths in your run, so it's for sure not a big deal.

I was actually watching those TAS runs when judging your run, as well as digging from my own experiences from playing recently since I had just gotten the game off the eShop. I did notice the date on the most recent TAS was super recent to where you probably didn't have it at your disposal when planning your run. I did try to get some of those subtle clips the TAS does on some levels like the first lake of fire, but I couldn't get any of 'em to work; might be a subtle thing with the positioning of Firebrand that I'm not picking up on. I never tested out playing the game without those powerups either, but I have a hard time imagining a run without those power ups in real time, that's for sure. Have you tinkered with skipping those powerups for a segmented run by chance?

Anyways, I was thoroughly impressed with this run when I verified it. Pretty much everything you mentioned in your comments I was looking for to make sure it was implemented, and you basically got like 99% of your planning right, like letting bullets hit you in encounters, extending flight by alternating on/off, ect. That and for some reason I was expecting a segmented run because of the encounters, so I was really impressed that you also did this game in a single segment run... and it's this good! This is definitely a great run to start off your stay here at SDA Smiley
I was thinking about a sgemented run at the beginning when I started to plan/practice. But I felt the time spent talking to the guy to get the password, and entering a password in the beginning was to long compared to such a short run.
Also I didn't feel like hitting reset at every random encounter ^^

I played (on 3DS VC using savestates) till the bridge where you "need" the falcon wings without the power ups. The 4-eye boss without the higher jump is pure evil - you only get high enough to hit the eyes at their lowest point... and I just couldn't cross the bridge with both powerups missing - if you read the TAS comments, they use a special "rhythm" of flying/dropping for maximum distance...
When (or rather if) you reach King Darkoan you get back "on track" power-up wise btw.

All in all I think skipping power-ups isn't really worth it, the actual "skip" (not talking to what's-his-name and picking up the wings) saves so little time and results - without awesome skill - in slow down in other places (i.e. 4-eye boss)... (hm maybe this could result in a low% category - but I don't think I am up to it ^^)