List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/FZeroX.html

Wouter M. 'WMJ' Jansen's PAL IL runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I really don't have good experience judging PAL games, and the flying around is even more insane here, so I've used the high score boards here: http://www.cyberscore.me.uk

They have listed better times for the following:

Full Race
Silence 2
White Land 2
Big Blue 2

Lap
White Land 2
Big Blue 2

I'd like to see these races improved, but as a whole IL table, it's very impressive, so I accept.

Quote:
heh about time i was on the other side of the verification process Tongue

let's check out each track one by one.

Big Blue 1: course time had the newest strat and it was pulled off well. the runner seemed to hesitate a bit in lap 2 before the refiller but things went well. the fastlap uses a recently discovered glitch named the air ground glitch (AGG). the effect is that by landing on the rail but floating outside the track makes the game think you're in the actual track at the same time you're in the air and the effects of refillers/ice/sand happen on the ship when it passes over the areas where these strips are regardless of the ship's actual position (the game thinks it is on the road). the float physics seems to get enhanced in this state also, making it easy to gain lots of height fast like shown in the vid. i felt this needed to be detailed a bit since it is too new (it was found like late last year) and the runner didn't include comments on it and plenty of the fastlaps use it. the fastlap itself was good and took advantage of the extra speed. the energy was almost a problem since it ran out at the very end of the flap but the time loss is like 0.01

Big Blue 2: course time had some minor crashes but those are the kind that don't slow you down. lap looked quite simple yet effective.

Big Hand: the course time used a new strat and this is the first time i see it. it looked like the brakes lasted a bit too long but it made other previously slower sections much faster overall. the fastlap was as good as it gets with the strat used.

Devil's Forest 1: course time used the best strat available. fastlap was set up with a float and the payoff was big.

Devil's Forest 2: course time used the AGG quite well in lap 1. the only weak spot i see is that lap 2's DTD landed a bit too much to the right. fastlap set up AGG for a big float. missing the zippers doesn't lose time because zippers have a bout the same boost power as a boost and the energy was plenty for the entire lap.

Devil's Forest 3: course time uses a slightly different strat with good end results. the fastlap was a bit slower than the 3rd lap in the course time at the very end but that pipe is very random to get high TDD speeds.

Fire Field: course time was good. there was a crash in lap 1 but it was minor. fastlap had an average DTD but the rest was good.

Mute City 1: course time used the AGG and gained a lot on the old WR strat. the floating could be improved a bit but overall it was good. fastlap is as good as it gets with the new strat.

Mute City 2: there were some minor crashes on it but it was overall good. the DTDs were very good. fastlap looks like it could be improved a bit.

Mute City 3: course time was as good as it gets except for the end but this is the world record so it can get away with that mistake. fastlap is pretty tight although i feel the start could be a bit faster.

Port Town 1: course time was pretty good. one crash and one missed zipper but they didn't make a difference. fastlap uses an older way to set up the AGG and float which is slower but it doesn't matter for the actual lap.

Port Town 2: this was the track where AGG was used in a course time for the first time. given the amount of curves and general slowness of the first lap, AGG makes it easy to gain a lot of time. the DTD could have been a bit faster but would have required a bit more floating. the fastlap was as good but the end could be a bit better without that bad bounce.

Rainbow Road: the course time was good except for the mine bump but it requires luck to avoind them cleanly. the second DTD in the fastlap could be better and there's another mine bump.

Red Canyon 1: course time was good. the new strat helps a bit. fastlap used floating twice but the DTDs were fast enough to make it gain time.

Red Canyon 2: the course time had a crash that costed 0.2 seconds in lap 1. i would have retried at that point but the rest of the run made up for it big time. the fastlap looked like it could be improved a bit in the DTD but the slim road makes it difficult. it was also funny to see the car go through a section of the track. that's FZX's checkpoint system for you.

Sand Ocean 1: it's not often you see slider Twin Noritta in an actual course record. the AGG and floating are that powerful. the pipe DTDs were a bit weak and there was almost a loss of grip in lap 3 though. the fastlap could be improved only with better pipe DTDs and possibly max speed entry DTD.

Sand Ocean 2: course time used the tricky DTD at the end. there was a crash in one lap but that's expected from the way it is set up. the rest was good. the fastlap used AGG and floating to improve the entry but the wavy road ate most of the speed.

Sector Alpha: course time was as good as it gets with that strat. no crashes despite using the harder version that takes the zippers before the DTD. the ending was very risky. fastlap used a long set up and the gain seemed small since the brakes have to be used very soon but overall it was good.

Sector Beta: course time uses the newest strat. no brakes before the reverse DTD is a very brave move and pays off big. lap 3 was a bit slower because of the sand and there were a few crashes but they're unavoidable at those speeds. the fastlap looked like it was on NTSC because of how fast it was. the landing after the reverse DTD was a bit weak however.

Silence 1: course time used the newest strat. i think the last bunch of zippers were taken wrong but the energy was more than enough to avoid any speed loss from that. the fastlap used AGG but could be better with a DTD at the end.

Silence 2: course time was good. it looked like the runner almost lost control in the refiller in lap 2 but luckily he bounced back. fastlap was good for the most part but the end could be a bit faster if the landling was in the refiller.

Space Plant: course time uses a very new strat. lap 2 had an unfortunate float in the pipe but that pipe is hard to manage. there were several close calls with the sliding near the refiller. the end was risky. fastlap was pretty good but still 1 slow spot due to no spare energy available.

White Land 1: course time uses a very precise strat. the refiller is completely skipped here. this is the second track in FZX where the refiller is never used for the best time. everything went well. fastlap took advantage of the newest strat by having all the energy for 1 lap.

White Land 2: course time was okay but the DTDs could have reached max speed. same with the flap.

audio/video quality: top notch

no cheating detected

veredict: accept all of them. even though some times are somewhat easy to improve, the level of play here is so high that the improvements wouldn't be very big over the current times.

Decision: Accept

Reason: These times compare well to the NTSC records we have.
Thread title:  
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
nice to see the PAL ILs accepted. big congrats to WMJ. becoming the FZX world champ is no easy task (or #2 if Daniel has already taken the title back).
I'm really glad that this got accepted. The amount of work that went into this is really immense. I estimate my total playing time to be between 2000 to 3000 hours (probably closer to 3000) since picking up the game in 1999.

This is by far the most difficult game I've ever played but at the same time also one of the fun and rewarding ones. It took me 3 years to really come up with this full set of videos and I think I've probably, at least, redone every record 3 times because of new discoveries etc. and made some huge improvements along the way. It was really the rivalry with other top players like Linner and Daniel that helped push many records beyond what I ever thought was possible. The amount of stuff that was still being discovered  10 years after the game’s release was really crazy. AGG was a really groundbreaking discovery that made all lap runs I had obsolete and it really made some amazing stuff possible. In the end I'm really happy with this technique because it made a lot of records much faster and interesting to watch. It also made Mute City one of the most fun tracks to play for me. I've spend a long time to find a way to trick the checkpoint system so you can skip the looping and now that I found a way I just love skipping that looping  :).

Some things to note:
Mute City 3 is next to impossible to complete due to a glitch with jump plates that hardly ever work at high speeds. This record alone took me 30 hours to improve from 1'05 to 1'03 due to this glitch and that's also the reason I don't want to ever play it again really.

Port Town 2 floating is really more optimized than it may look. I beat the TAS run that was made of it by nearly a second and that is partly due to doing the DTD the way I did. Floating too long for a faster DTD really isn’t worth it.

On Red Canyon I still have no idea if my strategy for the end of the lap is actually faster but it's extremely close and it's more fun to do it this way.

On the Sector Alpha lap using AGG really pays of by almost a full second. It is very difficult to trigger the AGG here because the game makes you crash when you are too low (which will happen if you steer right quick). If you don’t steer right quick you’ll cross the finish line and enter the lap already.

On Silence there is a maxspeed cap on the area before the tunnel which requires braking even if you hold up all the way on the control stick and drive on the extreme right of the track. This cap is 1250 km/h and is the reason I took the zippers the way I did.

I hate White Land 2 and getting this ok-ish run already took me a very long time and I don’t think I can improve it much even with a lot of effort.

Manual boosting is a slightly faster than taking zippers so missing some zippers and manual boosting instead is actually a tiny bit faster (think 0”0x).
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
heh i didn't know that about the Silence speed. i thought holding up guaranteed no deaths. also, the zipper thing is interesting. i thought the zippers were equal to boost power.
train kept rollin
Quote:
On Silence there is a maxspeed cap on the area before the tunnel which requires braking even if you hold up all the way on the control stick and drive on the extreme right of the track. This cap is 1250 km/h

I wish I had known this years ago, lost so many races because I pushed it too hard.

Cant wait to see the runs.
welcome to the machine
I just want to say that these are some amazing vids; great watches all around.  I really enjoyed this entire update.

Thanks!