List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Still doesn't exist yet

Wesley 'Molotov' Corron's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I'm assuming that I'm just supposed to reply using this fancy-dancy private thread dealy.

Verification for Fire Emblem: Short and Sweet

Cheating:
  We're treated to what is practically a live demonstration, and although due to skipping the enemy turns its impossible to tell what the fuck is going on half of the time, everything appears to be legit.

Audio:
  Recorded over the air, which concerns me a little, since I thought DS runs were supposed to use the headphone jack for audio.  This is my first time verifying a DS run, so I'm not sure, not that having audio would make this run any easier to follow (more on that in a bit).

Video:
  Some of the earlier segment segments seem to be recorded at a bit of a canted angle, and there is an omni-present jitter due to reality, but otherwise I think its acceptable.  There were no moments of major movement or loss of focus in either screen.

Gameplay:
  I guess its hard to appreciate how much time is spent in FE runs waiting on enemy turns until you can skip them.  For all I can tell, I am watching a cheap slasher film where Marth is the villain, and every time the lights go out a bunch more people are dead and he's stronger than ever.  As the runner alludes to in his comments, almost every chapter is identical, making the run a little repetitious to watch, although this is no fault of the runner.  Otherwise, planning and luck manipulation is exceptional, and there are only a few execution hiccups (identified by an audible sound of dissatisfaction from the runner) in what is otherwise a machine-like run.  It won't wow anyone who doesn't know what's going on, but for a run this awesome, who cares.

Verdict:
  Pending the audio issues, this is an easy accept.  Kudos for finishing the game >40x as fast as I did.  SUUUPER SWORD!

Quote:
Ok, so now I'm doing a verification for this run, too.

Quality:
Well the audio is still over-the-air but I'm guessing it's the same deal as last time and there's a second track which... isn't. This is probably recorded from the camera and the main audio's plugged into the computer.

The camera is much better than before but it's still not as good as it could be. Though you are at least 90 degrees above the screen, the best capture would be the edges of the screen just about touching the edges of the video field. This tends to be tilted a good 2~5 degrees on the x-y axis. Also adjusting the camera's color settings a little more could probably make things look less gray. Doing stuff with the exposure, focus, brightness, contrast, white intesnity can work wonders. It's not post-record editing so changing those sorts of settings to get better footage is allowed. I think you have it okay, but could probably get it a little better. But recording on the DS is hard, especially with trying to keep it at an angle where you can see the screen properly, plus you need to makethe two screens which are never going to be exactly level to both film well. Whenever I finish my run on the DS I'll give a better idea of what I'm talking about. So the recording's definitely passable.

Gameplay:
Manipulating the luck to get a high critical growth stat is really a good idea, even if it's not intentional. But when you're relying on one character to make them better's gonna help you a lot in the long run.

Well you have all the right options on, skipping all the text, animations, enemy phases, etc that can be skipped. And it's done as soon as control is given.

K, so it's the same stratagy as before. You're using Marth to fight and the clerics to use warps so Marth gets way over-leveled and nobody else has to fight because there's a limit based on how many enemies can attack one character. That, and of course, since almost everything's skipped it's really hard to tell what's going on.

So as per your description, you're not doing any item rummaging this time. You send all won-items to the convoy.
You forget about everyone but Marth and Lena basically. Later you use Boah from chapter 13. Those clerics are just so you can use warps, and you only use Boah because he starts with one attached and is gotten automatically.

Seeing as we don't see the battles, it doesn't matter what weapons you're using or how long it takes to use it as long as the opponent dies in one turn. So it seems you're doing that with Marth's limited number of usable weapons. But you use the rapier for the heavy aromred knights and generals and the regular Steel and Silver swords well enough for everyone else. Since he's overleveled you can at least survive against the attacks of regular enemies enough to get to the boss and kill him quickly.

In chapter 7 you actually do a mid-point save. That's the only one. I just guess you had luck-related trouble there seeing how many enemies you were fighting.

In chapter 11 you use the speedwing. Which makes sense, you want to maximize that to get more double hits. Seeing as you're way-over leveled I wouldn't be surprised if you're getting x4 hits on some opponents.

You do go through your items a bit in part 12 so you can win a warp from a thief, seeing as you didn't skip any, that seems like the best time to me. You only did a couple levels without using the warp, I guess is either because you were saving it on the short levels or didn't have it yet. But it's never wasted.

You use the Dracoshield in part 17...
Which I assume helped somehow. I think you're just using all your stat supporting items on Marth, if you get any using your route. Most I think you can only get from minor opponents and shops and things. Also you use Jeigan and Wolf to get another warp. Same stratagy...

Give Lena a warp, use Hammern to fix one of the nearly-broken warps. Same thing as last run. Banking everything on the warp really does break the game, doesn't it?

For the end you distribute the warps and give Marth Falcion (sp?). That way in the same turn you can move Nagi to fight the guy in front of Medius and then use Marth on Medius. And in Fire Emblem fasion you can't skip the battle animation for killing the final boss.

Is the total time found from adding all the results times up? I don't see a total anywhere, but whatever.

Ok, so this is an improvement on a run I approved anyhow, so I approve this. I honestly don't see how improving this is possible, but it IS pretty hard to see everything with all the skips on. Still, even with skips you can tell how many turns it takes and there aren't any opponents Marth is too weak to beat in one try, so only necessary battles are done. You managed things better this time with the warps and the weapons and the routes a little, I think. I'd have to check the original to figure out what exactly is different. You might wanna do a commentary explaining what you're doing seeing as how hard it is for anyone to keep track of, especially if it's in Japanese.

Anyhow, good game, good run. Approve.

Quote:
Verifier: Accept
me: what game?
Verifier: Perfect Strats
Verifier: don't know what more to say -_-
Verifier: FE11
Verifier: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Decision: Accept

Reason: Perfect strats*

*Until better ones are found.
Thread title:  
Fire Emblem?
Hm, I must have missed this one in the queue... sounds like the run has improved some of the things I complained about last time, which is good. Although still using the Speedwing? I guess manipulating to get (near) capped SPD that quickly was too difficult? And ditto on the Dragonshield. Only costs a second or two, I guess, but oh well.
Edit history:
Molotov: 2010-09-21 04:15:38 pm
Molotov: 2010-09-21 04:15:24 pm
Oh, I assumed you were verifier 1. (Loved the line about the slasher villain, by the way.)

The Speedwing and Dragon Shield should make sense when you see the run, because I planned item management very carefully before the run. I seem to remember it getting to the point where killing an extra Archer (thanks Nitrodon!) had to be checked against weapon usage. At the end, Marth broke his final weapon (2/20 Silver Sword) on the 24x boss, so I'd say it worked out nicely. Smiley

Also, thanks to the experience gaining plan being changed up slightly (see: Chapter 5 Archer), quite a few chapters had Marth gaining two levels instead of his usual one. This usually made perfect level ups far too difficult to be reasonable, so I think that when possible, I tended to leave defense in favor of other stats. Unfortunately, strength was skipped like one time and it caused the epic struggle for a double 7% critical in Chapter 16.

Anyway, moving on to verifier responses:

Verifier 1: I find it kind of funny (and strangely disappointing) that you're the only one to bring up the "SUPER SWORD!" (Man, WHY did I say that again?) <3

Verifier 2: I can somewhat explain why the quality was like that. The first three segments or so were done with auto brightness or something and also auto exposure. After that, I caught on and manually set the brightness and set the exposure to 1/60 or 1/100. The camera I used apparently isn't fond of remembering your brightness settings though, so if that varied throughout the run, that would probably be why.

As for angle though, I did my best. Unfortunately, I didn't place the DS as close to the "table" corner as I should have, so the tripod didn't fit as well as I would've liked. The DS was already nailed down by that point though, so the idea of moving it wasn't exactly appealing. Tongue

The results time is different than the play clock. The play clock said I completed the game in 13.50, but the results add up to 12.58.

Verifier 3: Hello, Rolanmen. Tongue
Edit history:
Kewl0210: 2010-09-21 08:36:21 pm
Kewl0210: 2010-09-21 08:36:02 pm
Yep.
I forgot how good a verification of this I did... look how mine explains everything and everyone else's just says "I had no idea what was going on, couldn't see any mistakes so I guess I accept."

So yeah, uh, you get the idea with the filming then. It really depends on things like your camera and how well you're able to shoot it and still play. But yeah you can get a little better footage.
I'm going for more something like this in my run (which I'm like a third of the way through and totally gonna get back to in a month or so) this is a sample of about the best I got:
http://www.apiljuce.com/videos/TWEWY_Test.avi

Anyhow, good run. If I were you I would do a commentary explaining things as they go if you think you have enough to talk about or can remember. But uhh... I dunno how that works, I think you can do it after the fact. I assume most people do it before submitting but, whatever.
Could somebody send me a copy of this run please?  It still doesn't seem to be up on this site.
Since I was for some reason credited, I feel like I should say something. So I will. Very impressive run, I think it's probably close to the best that could be done by a human. I can still see a few seconds of time-savers, but most of them involve manipulating for even more ridiculously likely events, or saving 1/5th of a second with better cursor movement or something that I don't think is generally possible.

I have a few questions. Why did you use the speedwing? Your speed was 22 or 23 (I forget) at the point you used it, which seems high enough. Did you desperately need that extra speed? Or was the wing perhaps dumped in Marth's inventory from a boss (it's been a while since I played, so I don't know the drops very well any more), and using it is no slower than trading? And why did you move Boah on chapter 13? My guess would be because manipulating to keep him alive (by dodging) was too slow, and the advantage of him not levelling up as often as Lena outweighs the second spent moving him.

One minor thing: The sound quality of segment 27 is poor. But it's forgiveable, and that segment is only a few seconds long (like all the others...)
Otherwise, very impressive. I can see some of the improvements over the old run (hey, that was over a year ago!)
Edit history:
Molotov: 2011-09-14 05:13:25 am
Thanks. Unfortunately, my memory sucks and a year is just too long for me to remember stuff clearly. I can guess though, so that's what I'll do! The Speedwing was dumped in there from the Chapter 10 boss (assuming you mean Chapter 11) and it's much easier to use it than attempt to optimize trading. Doing anything with it at all was probably for inventory management, which was my biggest goal for the improvement.

As for Boa, he's completely essential to the plan for gaining less experience. Trusting him to survive four attacks from the two Archers up there would be ridiculous, though I won't pretend that I remember their hit rates. Considering the evade formula though, I'm sure they are pretty high.

Segment 27 is the part that Nate was forced to use over-the-air audio on, because I somehow missed the WAV file when I burned the DVD. Sorry about that.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Prognosis_4: 2011-09-20 06:58:25 pm
Prognosis_4: 2011-09-20 06:57:56 pm
Prognosis_4: 2011-09-20 06:57:33 pm
Prognosis_4: 2011-09-20 06:57:22 pm
I'm a bit late to the party, but I can say that I'm very impressed. I hope that I was the one to inspire that uber fast cursor movement Tongue

P.S. It's up to you to tackle FE6-9 with fast cursor movement since I've long since retired from serious gaming, let alone speedrunning/TASing. DO IT... OR ELSE