List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Ryan 'Professional Donor' 'Poxnor' Vogt's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
How is this faster than Shiner's run? Let me count the ways...

- nameless monsters, saving countless frames in combat
- opts for a Stealth round against the first ZOMBIE. This happens about 1 in 10 times from a hard reset, at least when I play.
- Much better GEN-BU fight. No SHELL.
- Higher overall damage output due to 4th character being added sooner.
- Because of a different route, the proper, faster path through the second cave in World 2 can be taken by going left first...but he doesn't go that way? wut?!
- Only 1 MAGICIAN in the 6x "can't run" sequence.
- One less SHRAMP to kill before Sei-Ryu's penthouse.
- Deals with a missed BEAM in a 3 WEREWOLF fight very well, still ends the fight in 1 turn.
- Knows the route well enough to not have to rely on stupid safety net NEEDLEs.
- Only buys two STONE books and skips the REVENGE sword. Less inventory clutter.
- Gets a WARRIOR without having to farm for meat.
- Replaces the squishy BEETLE with a DEMOKING in a single eat, good utility critter. SLEEP is very helpful against those run-killing SORCERERs.
- Skips the HYPER cannon.
- Plays chicken with the Mutant M in the underground train, and wins
- Goes around to the left on 16F after teleporting. :>
- You can walk up the right side to get to AsHURA?!?
- Manipulates a nice series of free escapes for the final ascent.
- Makes use of so many more meat drops. It's a free resource that keeps the rape train rolling.

BUT there are possible improvements:

- when using a SPHERE, you can mash Down+Right alternating to scroll down the menu extra fast.
- CURE book should be moved to the top if it's going to be used a lot.
- The runner is extremely timid with controlling the vehicles, especially the bike...come on, it's not even that fast!
- The GETA shoe, ROD and SUIT can almost certainly be skipped. Defense is not an issue when running this game. If you're scared of people dying, just keep them in the back. If you KNOW someone will die, make a note of it, then equip your Mutants with healing items and heal them in battle.
- DINOSAUR is vulnerable to WARRIOR SAW. Why wasn't it used at 45:05?
- The runner forgets to walk into elevator exits early when going down in Skyscraper.

Good visual, good audio, good legit play. Accept it!

Quote:
Audio/video quality is fine.  Not much else to add to the other verifiers' comments - runner had excellent knowledge of the maps & monster growth progressions, excellent menu control, and used the saw glitch to its full potential.

I vote to accept.

Quote:
Watched it last night. Overall impressive. Good audio and video with no cheating detected, just lots of RNG manipulation. I wish the bike was handled a little more smoothly though; seems he stops short nearly every time. Another SS RPG!

Oh yeah, accept!

Quote:
Video/audio are fine, verifier #1 covered all the points better than I could. I can't imagine how many attempts it took to score this kind of manipulation for a SS run (well, I guess I could just read the submission notes to get an idea). Splosion Man would be so happy with all the meat!

Easy accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Poxnor proving he has talents outside of donating. Wink
Thread title:  
Way to go! Another one bites the dust.
Edit history:
Poxnor: 2011-05-02 04:45:38 pm
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Thank you very much to all the verifiers for taking the time to watch this run.  I really appreciate the feedback -- and, obviously, the accepts Wink

Quote:
opts for a Stealth round against the first ZOMBIE. This happens about 1 in 10 times from a hard reset, at least when I play.

That actually comes from not using Ice against the Lizard.  It makes the Lizard fight one attack longer, but shortens the Zombie fight.  It's a zero-sum trade-off; I just prefer to do it this way *shrug*.

Quote:
Much better GEN-BU fight. No SHELL.

That took a lot of messing around in the first world, to make Gen-Bu use neither Shell nor Gas.  Thanks Smiley

Quote:
Because of a different route, the proper, faster path through the second cave in World 2 can be taken by going left first...but he doesn't go that way? wut?!

I would have just had to burn off more steps in Sei-Ryu's castle in that case.  Manipulating away the large-group battles on the higher floors of Sei-Ryu's castle required burning off the steps, unfortunately.  That said, if a faster approach were found to deal with those big groups, then time could be saved here.  I'll keep that in mind if I try to self-obsolete -- thanks Smiley

Edit: I should also add that burning off those steps in the second cave resulted in the single Pirate fight, allowing me to use that run-fail trick.

Quote:
Replaces the squishy BEETLE with a DEMOKING in a single eat, good utility critter. SLEEP is very helpful against those run-killing SORCERERs.

Yet I never cast it on them Wink

Quote:
Plays chicken with the Mutant M in the underground train, and wins

Actually, he has a really high movement rate, so it's rare that I don't Wink

Quote:
You can walk up the right side to get to AsHURA?!?

Yup, you just can't go up the middle.  Same number of steps to go either left or right; I go right by force of habit.

Quote:
Makes use of so many more meat drops. It's a free resource that keeps the rape train rolling.

Rape train?  I'm flattered Smiley

Quote:
when using a SPHERE, you can mash Down+Right alternating to scroll down the menu extra fast.

Awesome, I didn't realize that!  Thank you Smiley

Quote:
CURE book should be moved to the top if it's going to be used a lot.

I only use it once.  Of course, if I remove the Rod from future attempts, that would change.

Quote:
The runner is extremely timid with controlling the vehicles, especially the bike...come on, it's not even that fast!

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like in this run.  Thanks for turning a blind eye to that in accepting the run.  The number of runs I lost by moving one square too far is beyond count, and that made me too timid.  The worst was at 40:08 -- ick.

Quote:
The GETA shoe, ROD and SUIT can almost certainly be skipped. Defense is not an issue when running this game. If you're scared of people dying, just keep them in the back. If you KNOW someone will die, make a note of it, then equip your Mutants with healing items and heal them in battle.

Shopping also manipulates the battle PRNG, for reasons that I can't fathom.  The Geta shoe and Rod manipulate in a series of preemptive battles that I can flee -- that's the real reason that I purchase them, beyond defence.  That said, I could certainly try to work on making up the time lost when those preemptives are lost, and see if it couldn't make up for saving on the shopping time.  I'll try that in the future -- thanks!

Quote:
DINOSAUR is vulnerable to WARRIOR SAW. Why wasn't it used at 45:05?

The fight wouldn't have been any faster.  Stone still has to take out the second Dinosaur.

Quote:
The runner forgets to walk into elevator exits early when going down in Skyscraper.

Hmm, "forgets" is the wrong word here Smiley  I'm not familiar with the trick you're describing.  Could you elaborate?

Quote:
Reason: Poxnor proving he has talents outside of donating. Wink

I also cook a fine lasagna Wink

Thank you once again to all the reviewers for taking the time to go through my submission, and for the feedback you gave!
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
The less verbose verifiers talk about RNG manipulation, and I was going to attempt this run on console to prove it is actually legit. The GBA does not have a random number generator, all events in this game are pre-determined and no random events are even entangled; meat drops, chance of escaping, attack hits, everything is completely knowable. I'll give it a shot when I wake up.

The elevator trick...when you're on the conveyor belt going down, you can step off to the right onto any of the elevator door sprites. So you can step onto the top tile...you can see it right at the start of my practice run in this segment:

Thanks for giving me credit in the comments, Poxnor...I really wanted to do this run and while I'm relieved someone did it for me and gave this game some much-needed recognition, I'm a little salty that it's not my name on the run!
Waiting hurts my soul...
By RNG manipulation, I meant the planning of what numbers to use when.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from ShinerCCC:
The GBA does not have a random number generator, all events in this game are pre-determined and no random events are even entangled; meat drops, chance of escaping, attack hits, everything is completely knowable.

Not exactly true.  Stupid NPC movement is technically deterministic, from the point of view of a TAS, but it's a frame-based PRNG.  It's essentially random, from SDA's perspective.  That's why, e.g., in Castle Shield, I keep the guard to the left of the stairs off the screen for as long as possible.

Also, for reasons that I can't even begin to fathom, that battle PRNG is entangled with your actions while shopping.  Seriously.  If anyone has *any* clue about what's going on there, I'd love to hear it...

Quote from ShinerCCC:
The elevator trick...when you're on the conveyor belt going down, you can step off to the right onto any of the elevator door sprites. So you can step onto the top tile...you can see it right at the start of my practice run in this segment

Wow, how did I miss that?  Thanks, Shiner! Smiley

Quote from ShinerCCC:
Thanks for giving me credit in the comments, Poxnor...I really wanted to do this run and while I'm relieved someone did it for me and gave this game some much-needed recognition, I'm a little salty that it's not my name on the run!

Sad
I played through the first 4 minutes of the run before I made a mistake, and everything up to that point was exactly the same. I thought about trying again to copy the whole run, but then I realized that you could seed the RNG to start off the same way a GBA would in an emulator, I already did exactly that in VisualBoyAdvance. So for now I'll call this legit. If something completely different happens, though, then there's shenanigans no matter what!
Edit history:
romscout: 2011-05-05 03:10:06 pm
that Metroidvania guy
Quote from ShinerCCC:
I played through the first 4 minutes of the run before I made a mistake, and everything up to that point was exactly the same. I thought about trying again to copy the whole run, but then I realized that you could seed the RNG to start off the same way a GBA would in an emulator, I already did exactly that in VisualBoyAdvance. So for now I'll call this legit. If something completely different happens, though, then there's shenanigans no matter what!

Yea, but when you gain a few seconds on the vehicle, the finale will become ridiculously hard/impossible to complete! Wink
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Quote from ShinerCCC:
So for now I'll call this legit.

Shouldn't you have decided on this before accepting the run? Wink
Quote from Poxnor:
Quote from ShinerCCC:
So for now I'll call this legit.

Shouldn't you have decided on this before accepting the run? Wink

I'm lazy. (hence why Poxnor got this run done before me, but he found a better route anyway so it's win-win)
Not a walrus
POXNOR attacks GAME by SAW.

GAME went to pieces.
Moo! Flap! Hug!
Haha, thanks UA Smiley
Moo! Flap! Hug!
I just wanted to give one last big "thank you" to all the SDA staff.  Over the past few months, there have been some discussions on the boards about all the work that goes into posting a run, from all the work that has to be done on the SDA backend, to the screenshots, writing the summary, etc.

It was really a super-special day for me when my first run was posted on SDA, and I wanted to let you know how happy it made me to see it there.  Thank you so much for all the work that you did to bring me that moment Smiley
Weegee Time
Really well put together run Poxnor, and congratulations!

Now about Legend 2... Wink