--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/FinalFantasy4.html

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

PLEASE NOTE: There are a couple of instances in the video where the audio is a bit unpleasant. I decided that since the amount of time constitutes such a small percentage of the run that the run won't be rejected on the grounds of audio quality.

Quote:
Listen to the whole speedrun and the worst part for the audio/video IMO is the Cal Brena and Golbez/shadow and like you say the music of this game is incredible and it is the first thing that passionate me when I was a kid, so being destroy like this, it put me very uncomfortable. The reason why I think it should maybe be reject is that when I first listen to it, this part kind of ruin all the experience I had at this moment of the speedrun(even how incredible it was). So finally I think no matter what Flip answer to this, I'll very difficultly go with a reject.

I'm Very sorry, the run is incredible(mainly, everything was pretty perfect, he show that he’s menu efficient, he don’t do movement mistake and he have a very great boss knowledge) but initially I didn't think it was that worst but listening to it a second time, ruin my total experience of seeing a speedrun.

Final Decision: Reject(execpt if there is a way to fix the audio)
Edit: look like there is not. It will probably be accepted anyway(even if I say no), so I hope that the runner will eventually take the decision of remaking his speedrun(could be a little faster and I know it's sad because of all the luck needed in this run.) very good job, but the A/V in some part are very bothering me way too much. So in the end, I feel very sorry to go with a reject for a silly reason like this but for me it's unacceptable. Sorry again!!!

Quote:
Visual Quality: W-well...
Audio quality: I'm scared...
No cheating.

Final Fantasy Fou-... er... Two! An unquestioned classic!

And wow, what a run this is! As I watched up to the Calcabrena fight, I was left in awe of the speed and effectiveness that the runner displays. The sisters fight in particular is incredible! There are little audio hiccups here and there, but nothing TOO bad.

Then we get to Calcabrena and s-S-ssssssssUdennLy mY niGhtMareS ComE ALIVE.

A-anyways, the fight looks all well and good, although during the lead up to the fight and during the fight itself, the audio hiccups become more frequent. And then... It happens. The game and the music slow down and become distorted, and it is as if we enter into a nightmare. Then all of a sudden, the Cals and Brenas start looking directly at me, and they say in a high pitched baby voice "SAVE ME FROM THE PAIN. SAVE ME FROM THE PAINNNNNN!"

I shook my head and moved on to the next fight with Golbez. However, the nightmare did not end. It became worse. As the distorted satanic music continues to play, our heroes move at a snails pace in their hopeless struggle against Golbez, while Golbez looks at me and says, "You know what to do. Kill the children. KILL THE CHILDREN." Then the fight ends, the party gets 6666 exp, and I shake uncontrollably.

After this fight I thought all was well. Sure the audio continued to skip frequently, but at least the nightmare was over... But then in the Tower of Zot, the nightmare resumed. The slowdown from hell returns, and I suddenly hear Golbez whispering into my ear, "Use the meat cleaver, and swing hard to break the bone. Put the bodies in the dumpster, and be careful not to get any blood on the carpet, because it doesn't wash out."

After Lugae things are alright I guess.

Anyways, I'll now list off the rest of the cons I see with this run, as well as the pros.

Cons:
Rydia gets raped repeatedly throughout this run. It is so constant I must say that this run is NSFW.
The grind to level 50 goes horrendously. This runner's luck must be something else.
The CPU fight was so sloppy, I can only describe it as "terribad."

Pros:
It's overall a solid run.
Route is good.
Most of the time lost is due to something completely luck based (grinding to level 50).

Decision: Accept.

Quote:
I'll say accept.

Quote:
I'm for accepting if and only if the audio/visual problems are overlooked.  However, the AV issues suck

3:35 is the final time I believe.  3:24 last time seen, and a little over 10min from then to the final numbers.

Quote:
I'll go ahead and say accept too, with the hopes that the runner redoes it at some point to improve the A/V quality.  Route and boss strats were amazingly planned and reduce potentials for major impact due to randomness down to just 3 points (WaterHag, Magus Sisters, D. Machine).

Quote:
I accept on the fact that the Waterhag didn't kill him!

Heh, joking aside, the audio/visual is fine. The hiccup that happens around the Cal/Brena fight is a real shame, but it's a small portion of the run and the run itself was great. I remember being in the call live on a few streams as well as during the process of this run and can vouch a ton of work went into producing even this.

A solid accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a great SS effort.

Congratulations to Andrew 'RaneofSoTN' Melnyk!
Thread title:  
Wow, we've got a SS of one of my all-time favorites Grin and this is supposed to be a hard game to SS.

Thanks RaneofSoTN!
Rane did an amazing job with this game at the previous marathon. Congrats!
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
nice to know that the run didn't get turned down due to technical problems... 

All the same though, Congrats Rane, you never seize to impress!
Good shit my man, I can't wait to watch it =D
I want off the ride....
Honestly I will revisit this run... the accept was more or less letting me know on sooner or later on the revisit. I have some other things in a "queue" per say atm that need to get worked on..

but i need to really really really really work on the damn golbez -> ending and learn to do it on speed one as I think i can squeeze out more non-luck based time. The 6 minutes of hell waiting for the d. machin fight was more than saddening and disheartening and it got to me on CPU. 3:54:31 is the real time, and 3:35 is the sda time by all measurements I had, but this time will fall for something 3:50 in the future.

thanks all.
Main Work!!!
Quote from RaneofSOTN:
but i need to really really really really work on the damn golbez -> ending and learn to do it on speed one as I think i can squeeze out more non-luck based time. The 6 minutes of hell waiting for the d. machin fight was more than saddening and disheartening and it got to me on CPU. 3:54:31 is the real time, and 3:35 is the sda time by all measurements I had, but this time will fall for something 3:50 in the future.
thanks all.

So that mean you'll redo it eventually, if it's the case, it would be very nice.
Is this the Japanese version or American?
It's the U.S. version.