List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Nathaniel Stalberg's Pirate run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I've watched all of the video segments, and it all looks fine. There are no deaths on video, and no apparent cheating that I can see. The only thing of note is that the runner plays the entire game at 2x speed (this is activated by hitting caps lock), which means that the entire game runs twice as fast as normal. IMO, this actually makes the game more difficult as the computer has no trouble with 2x speed, but it reduces the time the player has to react.

Quote:
Looks good. The segments are short, and thus are well done; clearly the best outcome is kept, not the first. There were occasional places where a tiny bit of time was lost, but it doesn't add up to a huge amount of time; the playing quality is very good. I didn't know those missiles were so deadly early in the game, and there were also a lot of surprising tactics, like spawning an already dead ship to easily board. There were some pretty quick and dangerous fights, and this game was completed way faster than normal; it'd take most people hours upon hours to get as far as the runner did. The action itself wasn't boring; going from one star system to the next was quick, and even hair raising at times. And there was some good luck manipulation; not of the caliber of the Diablo run, but still impressive for a speedrun.

Video Quality is good; for the publication I'd recommend that they be all smooshed into one AVI; 40 20ish second movie files was a teensy frustrating to watch.

Quote:
I finished reviewing the EV segmented Pirate Run very carefully, I must say it is virtually perfect.  The navigation is handled through a more advanced interface than most players even use, and he never makes a false step.

To clarify with segmented runs:  Sometimes, something in the game is available a certain % of the time.  He saves his game, then just loads it a bunch of times off of camera until the thing appears.  If this is ok, and I think it is, then there are no cheats or abuses of any kind, and it is certainly good.

Stitching the runs together, however, I would hope for the save/load screens to be cut out.

--David

He followed up with this.

Quote:
I don't know if you got my older message on this, I checked and it wasn't in my outbox.  Suffice to say, this is a VERY good run.  The only thing to point out is that, every time you take off from a planet, the game saves, and he treats each of these as a segment.  If it is legal to reload such short segments so many times, than this replay is perfectly executed in my opinion.

-David

Decision: Accept

Reason: Good luck manipulation and optimization
Thread title: