List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Greg '_sdfg' Singer's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This run look good.  No signs of cheating and audio/visual quality is fine.  No deaths, no big mistakes, and the run's route is fast and efficient.  There are quite a few small mistakes though, such as menu errors, talking on accident, and running into walls while walking but these cost so little time in such a long run that they are negligible in my mind.  I do not think this is the best run possible of Earthbound, however due to the amount of luck needed and the length of the game this run is more than good enough to be hosted on this site.

Approve.

Quote:
I finished watching the High Quality version of the run and I have to say, "wow."

The runner knew where to go and when.  No wandering around or going to the wrong place at all.

The cliff jumping glitch was a surprise for me.  The first time I saw this I was like "What is the runner up to?"  Then the runner glitches the game.  I checked and yes that is a glitch in the game.  The second time the cliff glitch was used, it was much much, more impressive.  I can confirm that the glitch when it was used both times is real.

The runner used the game against itself to avoid the enemy encounters.  All the runner had to do was get the enemies on the game map off the screen and about 1/2 to 2/3 of the screen away and the game will randomize the enemies or lack there of.  Avoided a lot of fights that way.  Risky, but it worked.  Sometimes enemies and magic butterflies ended up in weird places.  It can happen though.

After the runner got Jeff to have a mass of multi bottle rockets that spelled doom for every boss.  The Carbon Dog/Diamond Dog boss fight was EXTREMELY impressive.  I have never seen anyone beat a boss that fast, ever.  The boss has a physical shield at the begining of the fight.  If a physical attack happens then half the damage is given back to the attacker.  What happens with Jeff is that his rocket damage reflected from the boss's shield should have killed him out right but the rolling hit point system allows the runner to heal Jeff to allow him a second rocket to 1 hit Kill Diamond Dog.  Dropped my jaw when I saw that boss fight.  That boss is a lot more challenging (even when I cheated).

The Cave of the past (the white area/final area) is notoriously filled with enemies.  The runner manages to avoid most of them.  Show off.  Grin

The final fight had me saying, "Wait.  Why is Paula not dieing?"  The Sea Pendant and the Franklin badge allows her to ignore most of the damage from the final boss' form.  Tested that and yea that works.  Got lucky at the last form.  When I did the same thing as the runner, Paula took some damage but most of it was ignored.

Overall, it's impressive.  It doesn't look like the Runner did any cheating though I would have to watch the run again and look at each segment start and end to see if any HP or the PP was restored.  Saving does not restore those stats.  Sleeping does.  I will look at the video again just in case.  Any cheating between segments would be quite obvious.  There also doesn't seem to be any item cheating between segments.

Quote:
There are no video or audio problems (is it possible to fix the buzzing in the audio commentary though?)

No cheating can be found

Thoughts on the run:

Segments 1 & 2:

You ran into a couple of walls, but that is passable though, because the game is just not forgiving with the surroundings and the characters’ sprite design in some places… At least when you hit a wall, you get out of it fast enough that it doesn’t cost any time. Very nice manipulation on dodging the dog outside; you made it look too easy getting a green swirl off him. Considering the second segment is somewhat long, and the Starman is near the end of it, you had a good fight.

Segment 3:

Damn there were some close calls while dodging those Sharks; good job on that. Looking at it now, I guess it really wasn’t worth trying to get that hamburger outside with that extra Pogo Punk fight, even if you didn’t have the money to buy any extra hamburgers. Your Frank and Frankystein battles were very well manipulated too, so not much else to say about that.

Segment 4:

Overall, this was a very nice segment. I don’t think you can get any better luck than that against Titanic Ant either… It sucks to keep fighting Antoids in here, but at least they do get you to level 8 a little faster, even if you receive more damage overall. It seems like it was a split second decision to not go through that room the first time right after beating Titanic Ant, so that's ok, but you had some problems getting back through the door.

Segment 5:

There are no improvements that I can see from the police fight, considering how much luck you already need to do well here (well, against the 4 initial cops anyway), and the fact that each individual battle went as well as they can without you getting a SMASH of course (probably next to impossible to get in every single fight). You have the best luck when you’re low on health it seems, haha.

Segment 6:

Very nice dodging in this segment while in Peaceful Rest Valley the first time, so no complaints from me since there are no major hassles with enemies you had to get rid of on the screen. That’s about it to this segment. Considering you get plenty of money later, I can understand not going with the plan to buy eggs.

Segment 7:

Don’t beat yourself up over the walk-through-wall glitch outside where Paula is. Yes, it was a mistake to use the skip sandwich after so many attempts (how long does it normally take you to get through without the sandwich?), instead of immediately, as it obviously helped, but I don’t think enough time was lost to really matter. Getting that kind of luck in PRV, and pulling off the glitch in such a long segment is beyond awesome, no matter what. I’ve never found an efficient way to get through there quickly (it’s much worse than the other one), so very good job with that one, man.

Segment 8:

Considering how much the Carpainter likes to use the Crash Boom attack, maybe you should have manipulated it a little more, but like you said, three rounds isn’t all that bad for him in general.

Segment 9:

This is another good Sanctuary segment with very little errors in it. I like how you got to level 14 almost right before the Mole. I know you have to do that anyway, but enemies spawned where you would want them to (for exp. purposes), and you ended up fighting less bears than I thought you would (and you killed the one bear a hell of a lot faster than I thought you could too). Good Mondo Mole fight as well (SMASHES are very nice to get :p). It’s a pity you didn’t know that the glitch activated; because as you commented on, the fight would’ve ended a little faster. Improvements on that would be hard, unless someone else pulled off that glitch.

Segment 10:

A few bumps and bruises coming back (hitting walls and a “jerk”), but nothing too major since all this segment is, is talking to people, and watching the show and the drive to Threed.

Segments 11 & 12:

These segments are fine. Damn bubble monkey; otherwise, you would have been through there with one less battle. Not your fault, though.  Missing the Protoplasm once, and hitting the walls you did along the way, normally I would say restart as a result, but since you’re level one, it’s much easier to miss, even with the Pop Gun… Other than that, good job on not getting hurt once in here. That’s hard to pull off.

Segment 13:

You got through the cave very well, that’s all I can say about this segment since that’s the only major part.

Segment 14:

Since you can never tell when you’re actually going to use any rockets, and how many, the extra buy on the bottle rocket wasn’t a waste, since you were being safe (probably a little too much maybe). I like your strategy of getting the rockets before going in the tent to place the Zombie paper, even though I don’t think it matters a whole lot in the end. It was fun watching the Tent get owned, too.

Segment 15:

Wow, the luck you have been getting in this run so far. As rare as it is to have both rooms empty down in the cave, improving on this segment would take forever (and if anybody improves the run, good freakin’ luck replicating this part)…

Segments 16, 17 & 18:

It did take you a good while to get out of the Saturn Valley cave (would it have hurt to fight that roach?), but you definitely made up for it in Belch’s factory. That’s actually much less than you would normally fight in here, for anybody that hasn’t played this game in a long time, and iirc, you made no walk-backs to make enemies disappear in the factory, so that’s a plus. Given, the enemies are easy to kill that you ended up fighting, though. Nothing to say about segment 17 since you did a very nice job of dodging enemies on the way back, and you didn’t do a whole lot else. Segment 18 went well, and dodging the mole was nice. Not sure how much time you saved, but at least you probably saved some.

Segment 19:

That was a hell of a lot better of a run through of this cave than your practice run. Probably a couple more snake battles than you should have gotten, though. I didn’t know about that little glitch you did when you walked back and forth. I’ll have to try that sometime.

Segment 20:

You seem to have better inventory management this time. Good. I can’t remember exactly what we discussed in the thread about buying from the dealer here, but it looks like a better mix of bombs and rockets than your test run.

Segment 21:

This was a great segment, actually. I have a small complaint about you not dodging those first enemies completely, and instead fighting them, but at least you got a green swirl. Other than that, fast Dept. Spook battle with very little damage taken from you, equals awesome.

Segment 22:

That’s the best I’ve ever seen Moonside done! What the hell is up with the Pump at the very beginning of Moonside? I’ve never had him actually run away from me before, ever. That’s just simply amazing. Nice job on the find for cutting out the several seconds of listening to that stupid golden tooth guy, too. Also, even though you were paralyzed, that was a very good Mani Mani battle. Kind of hard not to with what you threw at him, but considering he only attacked you once, just like the Spook did (even though the Spook actually hurt you) it was still great to see Mani go down so fast.

Segment 23:

Yay for easy monkey cave. At least, it’s easy once you get the route down. Ness walking around slowly the whole time is funny, too.

Segment 24:

I know you did just about as much dodging of the Sentry Robots in your practice run, but this segment was still awesome, especially dodging every single enemy. The Clumsy robot battle was really good as well. Only four super bombs? That’s convenient. Also, to answer your question on the commentary, no, you can’t warp when you’re down there with the Runaway Five. That’s the reason the TAS teleports on the helipad, to skip the Runaway Five all together.

Segment 25:

Magic Cake, Mu, and Mummies, OH MY!!

Segment 26:

Yeah, it’s a pity you couldn’t learn flash beta by this point, but it makes sense considering how little you’ve fought so far (and how little you really need to fight to still beat the game anyway), and that was still a very fast, painless battle against the Kraken. BBRs are just a godsend at this point in the game.

Segment 27:

What an incredibly lucky Pyramid segment you had. No complaints about the random battles you fought since they were done quickly enough. It’s better to fight what random battles you can (easy ones, of course), than trying to go back and forth through the doors so much (especially here). Also, very nice tele-bashing outside; and I’ll have to remember that trick of going from the dealer straight to Dungeon Man with a teleport. That was insane (and saved you possibly like 2 minutes or so worth of fighting and just plain walking there.

Segment 28:

This place could’ve maybe been luck manipulated a little more, since I know I’ve never seen that many crystal enemies running around before, but of course, I’ve never had to restart millions of times. You were able to dodge all of them, though, other than the presents, so I guess that’s ok; plus, you had good luck outside.

Segment 29:

Holy shit that was some awesome tele-crashing, and not a single fight either! That’s hard to replicate. So, for future reference, don’t get the Death Ray? Also, the Souvenir Coin probably is still useful, since you never know when the person wearing it will get hit hard by an enemy.

Segment 30 & 31:

Sign..my..BANANA!! Now on to the sewer. These kids will do anything for a Sound stone song. The sewer went well. At least you didn’t fight, true, but you got caught up by those enemies a little long I think. Maybe it would’ve been easier to check before going down the ladder? Meh, it might look stupid.

Segment 32 & 33:

Luck galore, and a very easy boss battle to boot. I wonder if teleporting would ever be good here, if you ever were completely bombarded by enemies? You got lucky those went away from you at the beginning, but still just an idea.

Segment 34 & 35:

Yeah, that’s pretty much the luckiest Stonehenge you can get. I would comment more on how you could’ve ambushed more Starmen (what ones there were), instead of making them disappear, but they disappeared fast enough that it wouldn’t have mattered this time.

Segment 36 & 37:

The only reason I’m combining these two is because Milky Well and Lumine Hall are not difficult at this point, and you did a good job of dodging enemies in both, especially Lumine, considering the lag it gets…

Segment 38:

Again, good tele-crashing in an area that desperately needs it. You missed one or so, and maybe a couple more could’ve been used (at the very least one more), but you handled it well.

Segment 39:

That went a lot better than I thought it would. You know when you do badly, and when you don’t, in a segment. So, you can just restart if you do badly in Fire Spring, before you have to watch the cutscene everytime, so it’s not that bad to try to manipulate a little more. At least you didn’t lose too much time on the elemental you ran from; otherwise, restarting would’ve been a better option.

Segment 40:

The enemies made it very easy for you to dodge them, I see, haha. Even though the Krakens are a little hard to dodge, you could’ve done a little better on the first one. The others were dodged very well, and took much less time, though, and Ness’s Nightmare took so little time that it was a good segment overall.

Segment 41:

Onett went a whole lot better than I thought it would for you, considering the huge crowd of enemies. I have nothing further to say about it, as it was that well manipulated, in my opinion.

Segment 42:

I noticed only one occasion where you should have tried for a green swirl, which was the last battle, but at least you were able to run away anyway. I don’t know how many MBRs you have left, but you really didn’t need as many as you thought. I mean, you’re going to manipulate this place to death, so maybe all but 3 are needed possibly? Maybe just 2. Either way, it was a great segment to end out an incredibly good speedrun, of a difficult game to luck manipulate. Oh, and for future reference, those are just humongous wires/electrical tubes (looks like some anyway).

Final comments: Other than hitting walls some (not a lot) throughout, some movement problems, some slow manipulation areas of enemies (not all of which are his fault); this run was done very well. Besides, it would be very hard to get all of the same luck the runner does, and improve on this run more than a couple of minutes (assuming you do everything else about as well) if that. I do want to comment on the fact that there needs to be some tweaking to a future runs’ item route (mostly defense items) at least, to see what is definitely needed, and what should go on whom.

Verdict: I definitely approve this run (you’re not going to see a run like this one very much, and it's a definite improvement over evil_ninja's run

Quote:
I greatly apologize for taking a few days to watch this run.  I have a low attention span for games that are longer than an hour, so I watched it in segments (haha, segments..).  I was also preparing for school when you messaged me about this game being available for verification.  I just finished watching it, and here are my findings.

Quality (Capture): This is one of the best encoded videos I've seen on SDA, to be honest.  The video feels like I'm actually playing the game on my TV, and the same goes for sound.  There are little bits of artifact here and there, but I believe they'll go away once the run is segmented.

Cheating: None.  All HP and locations are consistent within each segment.

Quality (Gameplay): This was a thoroughly planned speed run.  All boss fights are strategically thought out in terms of item usage and tactics for each character.  There were some times where I thought maybe he was wasting a bit of time when he was refreshing the screen to avoid enemies by walking too far away, but this is just my opinion, and I believe he mentions this in his comments.  As far as gameplay goes, this is a top-notch route.  I especially liked the glitching through the elevated terrain (legal by SDA standards) to skip sections and save time, and teleporting to skip photo shoots for the same reason.

Verdict: Personally, after watching a run, I like to rate it overall by whether I'd watch the same run again in the near future.  This is a run I'd watch two or three times in the near future.  I accept this run to be published on SDA.

Quote:
I approve of this run, but not without a few qualms. The video quality is just fine, everything is consistent and no cheating is present. The gameplay quality is pretty good most of the time with a few really ingenious and skillful parts (most of which came from TAS it sounds like), but there were an amount of bad gameplay moments.

Segment 1: Got caught on some things on the way back home.

Segment 4: Drawn out battle against black antoids calling for help over and over.

Segment 5: Walks into fence for no reason for being a bit careful.

Segment 7: Using skip sandwich, glitches way down to shack with Paula before going to Happy Happy but uses a fair amount of time attempting it.

Segment 16: Spends some time at the very beginning of the segment avoiding a single battle. Could have easily restarted, but spent 10 seconds or so trying to dodge a single enemy.

Segment 26: Types in "Starbucks Cares" as the player name. A waste of time for something that could have been much funnier.

Segment 34: Does not get the sword of kings, though I don't know if it would have added time. Not mentioned in his comments at all.

Segment 39: Fails to run away from a battle twice, then decides to fight the next one. Sloppy and could have easily been redone.

Segment 42: Final battle. Jeff and Poo die against the second form. Ness dies against the third form. This does not consitute a game over, however and makes things faster.

Again, I approve this run. If there is disagreement on accepting the run, take the mistakes I mentioned into account. It could very easily be a minute faster with the route presented if the mistakes were just cut out by redoing the segment.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Everyone likes run and it's a lot better than Evil Ninja's old rejected run.
Thread title:  
D:
Cheesy

Apologies for being a controller-fumbling fuckup.
We all scream for Eyes Cream
._. Someone did a run for this!?!? OMG YES!!!! Finally after so long the craziest SNES game I know of is finally being put up!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from Axel Ryman:
._. Someone did a run for this!?!? OMG YES!!!! Finally after so long the craziest SNES game I know of is finally being put up!

Sorry, that title goes to Xardion.
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Quote from mikwuyma:

Hmm, it seems I missed this speedrun's update somehow.

... For better or for worse, I'm going in! *downloads*
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote from Axel Ryman:

<.< Curse you....

Fine, craziest SNES game I've played is finally being put up...better? >>