Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2011-10-20 08:23:26 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DynamiteHeaddy.html

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Video and Audio: They're just fine, but during the title screen and end credits there's a line at the bottom that is slightly distracting. It's not really a big deal since the line only appears at trivial moments in the video.

I haven't watched Arrow's run in a long time, but this is a roughly 6 minute improvement to his run.

Honestly, this run is pretty clean though there are a couple of parts that are a bit wince-worthy (Clothes Encounters and Spinderella come to mind). Most of the execution is very good, and there were a lot of good boss fights (which is important because a large amount of time comes from the boss fights), like Twin Freaks and the ball miniboss right before him.

The only thing that really stuck out to me as really bad was the Stair Wars luck, but the Nasty Gatekeeper luck was so ridiculously good it at least partially makes up for the terrible Stair Wars luck. Also, the final boss fight was pretty clutch, going in with low health like that.

Anyway, this is a big improvement over the current run, and while there is still a bit of room for improvement, there isn't nearly as much as the current run on the site. So I wholeheartedly accept this run! Good job Zyre!

Quote:
    It's with some irony that I am verifying this run, as Arrow's run was the reason I found SDA (I was looking for Dynamite Headdy playthroughs. I wanted to see someone else aside from me beat the game). Arrow's run was also one of the first runs I watched. With that being said, I am very impressed with Zyre's run.

Video and Audio are fine, though as Zyre mentions, the audio does stray from it's proper areas on occasion but it's not that bad. No cheating detected, though I did try out several of the tricks used that I wasn't familiar with just to be safe.   

1-1: It looks like the last spike took out Super Bino; Or the game just glitched the explosion sound (it's happened to me too). Getting hit by Trouble Bruin looks ugly but you got to him when he was still in his invincible phase.

Stage 2 looks fine.

3-1: The last platform had to be at the worst spot when you landed on it. Good soldier fights though.
3-3: Excellent Puppet-Master and Gentleman Jim fights. You kept a good balance between the two and damage dealt.
3-4: This fight wouldn't look so bad (bad in the sense of that elusive last hit in the first round) if the Wooden Dresser had two hits left. Regardless. you've made up for it time-wise else where.

4-1: I tried out the jumps onto the blocks after Mons Meg and the Statue and it it possible to make the two jumps. Excellent time saver. Shame you got the SBP tank bullet instead of the regular one first. That Super Tank can be trouble...
4-2: Good recovery from the Wise Woman hit.
4-3: Bottom route looks good here.
4-4: Um... not much to say here. Good text skip.

5-1: You made the jump.
5-2: I've always found Trouble Bruin to be easiest to goad into his ramming attack (when he closes his eyes) when I stay near the bottom, sometimes with the platform practically off screen. However, this can lead to problems when he slices the tower and the method is not always consistent. This does not work in the JP version though. You're fight is pretty good considering how random Trouble Bruin likes to be here. One of these days someone will figure this fight out. I don't think you lost too much time here. It feels like a lot of time lost but isn't.
5-3: Great fight with the arms mid-boss and armordillo.
5-4: So close to two rounds... so close. Exciting fight though.

Stage 6 is cool.

7-1: Poor cow. He thought he was a horse... or was it a horse in disguise as a cow? Regardless, impressive Nasty Gatekeeper fight. Those bombs can be a pain to time.

8-2: I tried out the strategy here and it worked. Great use of the invincibility time.

8-3: Good pit skip and Tarot fight. Good use of sleep head too in terms of time.

8-5: Wow... Impressive Twin Freaks fight. Good timing on hitting the red enemies. The enemies in this fight can really mess things up but you killed the ones you had to and avoided the others without breaking rhythm or slowing down.

9-3: Dark Demon really likes that ceiling attack. Good fight here, especially with the lower energy. Glad to see you always had the heads you needed. Sometimes the game will give you something not helpful though it's rare.

There is room for improvement but this run is definitely shorter and better executed with different strats. I accept this run. Keep up the good work Zyre!

Quote:
Video and Audio: The slight discrepencies in the audio are minor and explained by the runner so no problems there. Video quality seems fine.

Cheating: None detected whatsoever, I was already aware of most of the tricks used but tested some just in case and all were fine.

1-1: Not much to say here obviously, every runner seems to kill the Collector even though it's unnecessary, what if he just wants friends? TB was optimised, looks a bit ugly getting hit but no time lost at all. Love the victory dance.

2-1: Obviously fine.
2-2: Jump-kills on every enemy destroyed, damaging through the others, very highly optimised first section. Catherine fight was perfect. Pin head route is far more reliable here as mentioned by the runner. One or two minor problems in the maze but less than 1 second wasted.
2-3: Fully optimised Mad Dog, I don't believe it's realistic to ever get quicker than this.

3-1: Fine up to the flying soldiers which were a little messy, slightly better aim would have resulted in ending the level a rotation earliers, saving about 7 or 8 seconds which is a bit disappointing.
3-2: Good use of the super head.
3-3: Very agressive fight, loved this, only a couple of inconsequential misses.
3-4: Unfortunate again not to get the single round kill, about 20 seconds lost here I think although it's very hard to pull off and requires some luck.

4-1: Up to Mons Meg was perfect. Nice quick bomb kill there too. Very nice time saver in the pit jump here. Super Tank Machine was disappointing but seems to be entirely luck based anyway (I seem to get more of the straight shots if I stand right next to STM but this could be coincidence?) and only a few seconds lost. I've made that jump onto the purple frog thing twice in my entire life so seeing it first try was great. Conveyors went well, another great pit jump to the banana.
4-2: Nasty hit from the Wise Woman thing but well recovered.
4-3: Good route, good execution, no problems here.
4-4: Either you know the timing of that text very well of there was some serious button mashing taking place here.

5-1: Hard to mess this up really.
5-2: Ah, the bane of my childhood. No kidding I had this game for 3 years before I got past this stage. If only I had known what was to come later I might have quit right then! Luck slightly on the better side of average makes for a decent time but not as impressive as I was hoping. Surely someday someone will realise how to manipulate TB here? Until then this is certainly acceptable.
5-3: Optimised and elegant for the most part. Armordillo could have been maybe a second or two faster without the damage. Also, the runner is mashing the attack button whilst underneath Armordillo, this close the effect may be negligible but usually it's faster to time the attacks for the moment the invincibilty period ends, like I say though, I doubt it would have made a difference here.
5-4: Slightly ugly fight in all honesty, although I have never been able to achieve a two-round kill and I've only seen one is TAS form so there is actually very little time wasted here despite how it looks, a matter of 2 seconds at most.

6-1: Everything fine here, nice to see a brief appearence of the feather head as it doesn't get nearly enough love. I once managed a no damage run of this level with all enemies killed but that was frankly ridiculous and not necessary for a speedrun.
6-2: Two rounds is always good here, TB was insanely trigger happy in the foreground as the runner mentions but no time lost from it. The music sounded odd at first until I realised I was used to hearing the laser head shots over the top of it!
6-3: No damage, no problems. Very impressive. When you first reach it, this stage is a nightmare, those crawlers are way harder than the runner makes them look.
6-4: Baby and Boy faces were fine but I was disappointed with the Man face fight, given that your health is replenished at the end of the level, I don't really think there is much excuse for not being a bit riskier to get a faster fight here. Not too much time lost however.

7-1: Fluid Nice Gatekeeper fight, it can be faster but there are so many variables involved that this is more than acceptable. Nasty Gatekepper was... frankly insane. I was incredibly impressed with this fight, great luck and skill combined for one of the shortest fights I've ever seen here.

8-1: All fine here, would have liked to see a few more missile skips with damage but I understand it's risky.
8-2: Gorgeous no damage bug here, making for a perfect stage.
8-3: The skip went well, I know it's possible to get across both pits but I've never seen it done real time and the runner also managed to get across the second very quickly so no problems. I hate Tarot. Not the best fight I've seen but not bad either. Healing took up no time at all and was a wise move.
8-4: Slightly ugly spike damage but very little time lost. Healing before Sparky might seem frivolous but then again, knowing what's next it's perfectly reasonable. Sparky fight itself was good although the last hit could have been quicker as only once hit was required and the runner went out of his way to get both balls to hit.
8-5: Oh god, this is it, make or break. Twin Freaks is an absolute demon but the runner handled him perfectly, it is possible to kill him before the first switch but this far into a SS it's unfeasable to try.

9-1: Autoscroller so nothing to say here except an impressive desire to kill/hit everything you possibly could, good job!
9-2: The one and only thing I have not done in this game is get the SBP for this level, it's practically as hard as the rest of the game put together. A fair amount of damage taken but that's to be expected here, no time lost obviously.
9-3: The final showdown? Made to look easy in this case, getting a few Hammer Head hits is desirable but on every hit? With low health to start with? Very impressive. Would have been nice to see the runner attempt the SBP with the green spikes but it's risky as they cause lots of damage.

Summary: Very impressive run that saves a huge amount of time from the old one. A minute or two could be shaved off with luck and a few more seconds with tighter execution but in general this is a very good run and a massive improvement, I vote to accept 100%.

Additional trivia: Contrary to what the runner mentions, Trouble Bruin is still supposed to be a bear in the US and PAL versions, in fact he looks even more like a cat in the japanese edition. What you cannot hear is that during his theme (it is cut off very early in this version due to no dialogue) the work "Kuma" is spoken several times, this translates as "Bear" and is pretty much the only way of knowing that he isn't a cat!

Great Job Zyre.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Tyler 'Zyre' Larsen!
Thread title:  
The Speedrunning Teacher
Holy. Freaking. Cow.

I did not expect verification to have completed this fast. I was seriously thinking I wouldn't hear about this for one, maybe two more batches of verification threads. This is awesome! Thanks for the accept!
Not a walrus
So was this Arrow's last run?

Better go fix that, man!
it's funny because i'm not sure "random" is better than "consistently slow". but i guess no one is trying to speedrun the site so maybe it doesn't matter.
The Great Farming Empire
Holy....This is amazing to see in the Verification Topic.

Looking foward to seeing it.
1-Up!
Zyre everything about your run happened quickly. It got verifiers quickly. You torrented quickly and your verifiers verified quickly. It was inspiring.
The Speedrunning Teacher
Quote from Flip:
Zyre everything about your run happened quickly. It got verifiers quickly. You torrented quickly and your verifiers verified quickly. It was inspiring.

Potentially a new speedrun record for the verification process.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yeah probably, I think everyone verified it within less than 24 hours. Shocked
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from mikwuyma:
Yeah probably, I think everyone verified it within less than 24 hours. Shocked

New SDA standard!!!
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
So was this Arrow's last run?

Better go fix that, man!

Arrow's only run if memory serves me right.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2011-10-22 03:22:09 am
Not a walrus
It doesn't. He used to have a TJ&E2 run before Deign beat it. Not sure about anything else.
Now a hit show on the CW
I also had some We Love Katamari IL records, but those have since been beaten as well. However, I also have a run for another game that was already verified, so assuming everything gets posted in something close to submission order, I'll still have one run up when this gets published.

At any rate, congratulations Zyre! I wasn't one of the verifiers, so I'll be looking forward to watching this when it's posted.

Try not to get too comfortable, because I'm not letting this stand without a fight Wink
Now a hit show on the CW
Finally had a chance to watch this. Your Dark Demon fight was something else. It looks like the biggest areas of non-luck based time saving potential are Down Under, Clothes Encounters, and Baby Face. Stair Wars is still going to be a major point of contention, of course, and you could have had better luck on Gatekeeper's first form as well. Congrats again Zyre!

Time to dust off the ol' Genesis...
It's fun to watch this great game get beat so soundly:  Extremely skilled play on a tough old title!