Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DuckTales.html

Giel Goertz's PAL difficult run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Verifier: uh yeah i verified duck tales, it's pal on hard
Verifier: it's solid, most of the improvement comes from a crazy moon level glitch
Verifier: i didn't bother watching frezy's old run in that category to see how the other levels compared though
Verifier: you can obsolete frezy's run if you want, maybe the easy pal run as well
Verifier: i don't bring this up much, but the video quality is pretty bad
Verifier: at times, the video skips ahead a litle bit and it's generally flaky
Verifier: of course, i don't think the guy cheated and it's not like they happened at useful segmenting times anyway
Verifier: but still, it's an issue, it might affect things like timing
Verifier: i don't know if it's that important but i'm putting it out there

Quote:
Tested what I needed to test, here you go.

Cheating

While the uninitiated viewer may scream otherwise, he did not cheat.  It's worth noting this was done on the PAL version, which makes the jump past Launchpad in Amazon possible without a boost (can't do that in NTSC).  The big glitch in the Moon stage is legit too, more on that later.

Video/Audio Quality

Video quality was good throughout.  There was a little static here and there on the audio end, but I'm sure nate can iron that out, and even if he can't it's nothing to reject the run over.

Play Quality

When I watched the run initially I have to admit I was slightly disappointed.  It is very good, and the glitch on the Moon stage is definitely a "wow" moment, but after seeing this guy's NTSC emulator run I was expecting the rest of the stages to look just a little more polished than they are.  The mistakes are small, but they're there.  Little jumping and landing errors that add up to seconds lost, and some of the boss fights were less than great (Amazon and Transylvania most notably).  It also ended on a bit of a downer as he mistimed the pogo to the rope for the race at the end.  Didn't cost a lot of time, but definitely wasn't pretty either.

I'm aware that sounds a bit harsh, because there is a lot of good in this run.  He nailed both double hits on Dracula Duck (though the last hit came a smidge slow), solid Himalaya boss fight, and most of his work in the stages was really well done.

Then there's the Moon glitch.  I was planning to accept this run after my first viewing of it, but I figured I'd be a good verifier and test out this funky new glitch I'd never seen before instead of taking it on blind faith that it's possible.  So I test it, and HOLY SHIT is it a finicky glitch.  Let me lay this out for you guys.

Room 1, Part 1:  Draw one of the robo-ducks over to the "door" and have him hop into you, right before he does, turn around to face him and get knocked into the ceiling.

Things that can go wrong:

1.  You just get hit, not glitching whatsoever.

2.  You only glitch halfway up the screen, doomed to either die or get shot either into or outside the remote control room.

3.  You make it up to the ceiling, but are positioned in a way where you can't pogo jump.  You can tell this happend if you lives and time display disappear.  You're stuck, give up.

Room 1, Part 2:  Get into pogo jump and start tapping to the right (holding the direction does no good) once you find yourself close to edge of the non-glitched floor start throwing in some left taps as well (not sure why this helps, but it does).  You'll hopefully fall down to the screen below as seen in the run.

1.  You fall through to the screen below, and then the game crashes (letting go of all inputs seemed to help with this, but it wasn't a sure thing).

2.  You fall to the screen below, but it glitches differently than in the run.  You're stuck, give up.

3.  You pogo too far to the right and the screen wraps back so it looks like you're back by the remote control room, and you can't see Scrooge's sprite.  You can go back to the left and drop down as "normal" and continue through the stage, but you stay invisible the whole time which makes one of the later steps stupidly difficult.

Room 2:  Walk right and drop down the hole.

Things that can go wrong:  Nothing really, this part is easy.

Room 3:  Pogo off the octopus and move right until you trigger the right half of the glitched rope, then move left til you're on the lowest level of floor and walk right to the hole.

Things that can go wrong:  It's possible to get stuck in the appearing glitch walls, but that's not too hard to avoid.  Not as easy as the last room, but not too hard either.

Room 4:  Pogo off the octopus and move left to land on the appearing glitch wall.  Alternate ducking and jumping as you move slightly left and fall through the floor winding up right next to the boss room.

1.  If you jump too high either off the octopus or once you're in the ceiling, you die instantly.

2.  You can fall out of the ceiling and not glitch to the chamber below.  You can ride the moving platform to create a rope to climb up and try again, but this is probably a reset for a speedrun.

From there it's just kill the boss, he's as easy as the run makes it look.

So yeah, if you read all that you should now understand that at the very least I feel that this glitch is stupidly hard to do.  There might be some method to it that I didn't find that makes it easier, but I personally kind of doubt that there's any foolproof way to get it every time.  Considering this, the fact that he did it, especially as quickly as he did, really does excuse any other little minor errors that pop up over the course of the rest of the game in my eyes.  And that's all the mistakes in this run are, minor errors.  It's overall very solid, and would be a fine addition to the site.

Accept.

Quote:
mikwuyma: I had seen a couple of his runs previously on youtube, very nice. I tried this glitch for a while and was able to do a portion of it with MANY atempts. I would have asked him to record himself performing it, but after reading his forum posts its not likely he's cheated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice run!

I was hoping you would find the means to capture this run. I have no critisism of your play. Your bosses are very well optimized and I love the calculated risk you take on them to shave off time. The only other noticable improvement from your 7:58 run is the nice long jump in the Amazon. Well done, and a great first submission.

No audio issues noticed
Video glitches at 3:34 and 6:04 may cut out about a second total. Doesn't effect enjoyability Smiley

Accepted

Quote:
Hi
Many people noticed many new speedruns of Duck Tales have appeared on Youtube. It's now on SDA.
This is a game I played really often when I was a child, and I really didn't think I would have so many trouble watching a 9 minutes speedrun...

My first trouble was about the glitch. I had to know how this glitch works, and if SDA would agree with it. So I checked the SDA forum, and I have seen many videos of Duck Tales.
Two things resulted from my inspection: The first one was that the glitch was OK for SDA, but maybe in a separate category.
The second one was that some videos of the person I suspected to be the runner are clearly shorter than this one! I particularly refer to this one :
This is exactly the same kind of run, but with one minute less.
So I had to read a little bit more to understand why. The real difference is on the version of the game. Clearly (I compare it to be sure...) the SDA one is slower.
After all this little checks, I just went to see the old run, and I can see all the differences between both versions of the game.
So I think that I was absolutely unable to verify correctly this run 24 hours ago.
Now, my only question is: why didn't we just use the in-game timer ? It's seems to be the same for all the versions. So it would be a good way to compare them.

With the video time:

starting time: second 00:08
finishing time (hitting the last tresure): 8:51
So it would be a 8:43 run

With the in-game timer:
Moon: 600-549 = 51 seconds
Amazon: 500-445 = 55 seconds
transylvania: 500-460 = 40 seconds
african mines: 3 seconds before the key, then 5 seconds to get the key and 38 seconds to do the mines again: 46 seconds
himalayas: 500-457 =43 seconds
last area: 500-453=47 seconds
total time: 282 seconds or 4:42
suddenly, this game is half shorter !
obviously no cheat. For the video, I'm only asking if the colours shouldn’t be better... It's good for sure.
So you accept the run, but I don't really know if you should make a new category
Waiting for the 100 % and the DK2 run!!

Quote:
The duck tales really blow my runs in pieces. Obviously, my three runs will be obsoleted. I am glad that finally someone got serious about this game and learned to time the hits in the boss fights and make some glitches in reality. There is still some improvements but this is the first impressive record for a duck tales game I have seen. I do not know how to do those zip glitches but I am sure that someone else is not as lazy as me and actually try them out (Mike's note: good thing one person did).
And In PAL the jumping is a bit different. So you can do some jumps that you can not do in the NTSC version, like jumping over that gap in The amazon. I suspiciousness for cheating. and the video quality looks good from my point of view.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run has the strength of three runs. That's right, this run so fast it obsoletes all of the current Duck Tales runs.
Thread title:  
Thanks all.

It's a shame some people think my quality isn't all that. When I checked it myself I though it would be al right. (I hope i can fix this in other runs :))

Just to clarify some things.
You can't really compare this run with the one (emulated) on youtube, because the youtube version is NTSC and the one I submitted was a PAL version. There are quite some differences between the two. And yes, it's me playing in that run on youtube.
Overal the PAL is slower, but I got a the feeling that McScrooge itself does walk a bit faster in comparison to the rest. (that's maybe why you can make that Amazon jump that you can't make on NTSC). And that may also be the reason the 'clock' ingame in PAL version seems to be slower then in the NTSC one. (So you can't really compare the clock times @ verifier 4 ;))

@ verifier 2
Quote:
"Room 1, Part 2:  Get into pogo jump and start tapping to the right (holding the direction does no good) once you find yourself close to edge of the non-glitched floor start throwing in some left taps as well (not sure why this helps, but it does).  You'll hopefully fall down to the screen below as seen in the run."

There is 1 more thing that could go 'wrong'. I sometimes have it that you do go down below the correct way, but that McScrooge is invisible, so you don't see the character you're playing with. Doesn't really affect anything other then not seeing him off course, so you could still run the level, but you wouldn't see the character. I didn't want this to happen, because I thought it was stupid to watch and it can be hard locating exactly where you are when you want to pop the treasure Smiley

As for the speed in which I performed that glitch. It's mostly pure luck, in this run it's not better then my average, but I was really satisfied with the rest of the run so I figured it would be good enough.

oh and that 100% DK2 will probably take at least a week before I submit it, because I get a new pc soon and I wanted to try and encode the run myself with the new PC. (current one is too crappy to encode ;p)
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
1st verifier: You should have mentioned the crappy cane bounce timing at the very end, whoops, why did you forget to say that? What a moron, what was this guy thinking. Tongue

2nd verifier: I just want to say that the moon glitch was already known from the TAS, so looking at the input would help you verify/test it.

3rd verifier: Amazon improvement wasn't because he didn't know about it before, it's that you can't do it in NTSC.

4th verifier: It is very sad but normal that PAL runs are slower than NTSC runs.

5th verifier: It's true, I zuk your ding dong. Shocked