Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

SS any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
First off, no cheating.

The audio and video are good.  The StatID in the verification copy says that there is audio commentary, but none is included.  I hope that the runner plants to record something later.  If not, oh, well.

The execution is good throughout most of the run.  This is a game with sluggish controls and stupid hit boxes, so the fact that the runner can keep the characters alive until the planned death abuse points is commendable.  Little time-savers like the ladder-bouncing trick are used consistently.  A few jumps get missed here and there, but they don't cost much.  None of the potentially run-killing jumps (like getting on the platform at the top of the fourth level) are missed.

The one place where more than a few seconds are lost to execution is the final boss fight.  I don't hold this against the runner much because that boss has the stupidest hit boxes of all, but it is nevertheless a part of the run that could be improved.

The route is also good overall.  The runner takes advantage of the breaks in one character's activities to move the other around, especially in the third stage.  I don't think I'd suggest any changes to the order in which the pieces are collected.  There are a couple mistakes, however:
  • The sliding block puzzle in the second stage can be solved in six moves.  The solution in this run is a bit more complicated than that.  I estimate that 12 seconds are lost as a result.
  • The runner relies on death abuse too much when fighting the third boss.  If, after the first death, the runner had jumped to the right side of the pit and fallen in from there, the boss would have continued to follow the runner's character to the left.  After the second death, then, the boss would have been close enough to the pit that the runner could have walked up to the left edge of the pit and taken a few steps back to draw the boss in.  This strategy can be executed fairly reliably and would have saved 3-4 seconds and 2 lives.  3-4 seconds don't count for much, but the extra lives could potentially have saved more time elsewhere.  If nothing else, the runner could have used them to be more aggressive against the final boss.

In the end, though, it's a solid run and the route oopses aren't enough to bring it down.  Also, for a game this obscure, it's hard to fault the runner for not planning a 100% perfect route by himself.  Congrats on recording the internet's best/only speedrun/walkthrough/let's-play/proof-of-the-game's-existence that goes past the first level.

Accept.

Quote:
I also have timing info:
  • Frame 1552 - Character selection screen starts to fade in.
  • Frame 1768 - First level starts to fade in.  P1 can be controlled during the fade-in.
  • Frame 56677 - Final shot hits end boss.

I think the second bullet (P1 being able to move) is the usual point at which timing would start.  Going off that, at 60000/1001 fps, the run time is 15:16.

I only mention the time the character selection screen appears because it is possible to have P2's fade-in cover up P1's by pressing the select button after choosing P2.  That way, the player has control of both characters when the fade-in starts rather than just one.  Having said that, I don't think doing that would give someone an artificial advantage over this run because P1 would be doing nothing while P2 faded in.  Also, the impact on the length of the run would be negligible (a second at most).  So...  I'm sticking with 15:16.

Quote:
First off, I approve of the video and audio quality of this run. Secondly I will just call the characters kid 1 and kid 2.

Kid 2 does all the work for the most part while kid 1 helps with doors and a handful of puzzle pieces. All of them are obtained quickly in stage 1 and the route planning is really well done considering how much crap has to be grabbed.Kid 2 also has a distracting ball hovering around him at some point...it's nifty.

Stage 1 boss...is a boss, it dies and the level is over.

Stage 2 is much more of a crap fiesta. Kid 1 does a bit more of the work this time, setting up teeter totters and puzzle snagging before abducting kid 2 into his dimensional pocket. There's not much to say about this level other then the planning is once again great and the puzzles in this stage are absolutely goddamn stupid, especially the block moving one. Needless to say Egypt gets blitzed by Kid 1 while Kid 2 collects pocket lint. There's a death in this stage but it costs maybe a second or two tops and I honestly see no improvements happening outside of an actual 2 player run.

Boss 2 is also a boss that dies. And stuff.

Kid 1 sleeps on the job at the start followed by Kid 2 taking a nap, but both kids get their fair share of excercise during this stage, especially jumping, they really love jumping. Out of all stages the mine is the worst stage in this game for me, and seeing the runner plan this out so carefully is impressive, I don't have much to say other then that this is an impressive display.

Boss 3 is not even a boss, I have no idea how to beat it other then death abuse and it'll move forward a few pixels every time til it eventually kills itself??? It's truly stupid and costs a bunch of lives.

Stage 4 is thankfully, the final stage in this game, making it short but not short enough for what it is. This journey into the final frontier sees Kid 1 and Kid 2 doing a lot of work in this space race to the finish. this stage truly has everything awful, right down to hiding a jigsaw piece behind the foreground in the middle of a skatehoverboard section. At least the enemies are neat like the giant botox injected shark fish and the booger flinging wooly mammoth monster. Also robots. Once again an impressive level, at least as impressive as Dream TV can get.

Boss 4 wins the well-regarded award of largest hitbox versus smallest hitbox in the universe, and unfortunately you're the one in the huge hitbox. In what might be the worst final encounter witnessed in a game the alien mothership spits out giant fireworks and if you die once it's officially all over....that's the fight, you shoot the tiniest hitbox in the world that'd make even Luke's Deathstar trench run one in a million shot look like he was aiming for the Marianna Trench by comparison. Even beating this boss is a feet alone, let alone doing it fast!

So with that, I say ACCEPT! This run deserves it's place on site as a fantastically awful piece of work, and as an impressive speedrun to the handful of us that even bothered playing to completion!

Quote:
Audio: Good
Video: Good

What is there to say? The runner ran through this incredibly obscure poverty run at an alarmingly fast running speed. The characters ran at such a pace that they could not be bothered to let each other stop to rest, so the able bodied one would forcibly shove the tired one into his front pocket.

This romp through an incredibly immersive world introduced us to such exotic animals as the Boogy Mammoth and the Sharkosaurus Rex Head (I assume it is just a head since the water is far too shallow to hold anything else. Maybe there is an inter-dimensional tear underneath the water that the rest of his body is struggling to break through? Perhaps there exists some sort of pocket dimension that he is still partially stuck in? This game HAS established pocket dimensions as part of the Dream TV mythos so this is a possibility...) Also, the bear on stage 1 is awesome, easily the coolest character in the game.

This run is not without its flaws. The solution to the box puzzle is... Puzzling. You lose VALUABLE FRAMES on the last boss. Also, you ran over an innocent turtle with your hoverboard, I think this is the biggest mistake in the run and it totally goes against the exotic romp that the run had been marketed as up to that point.

Additional Notes: What a twist at the end! The Critic is a MAN!? OMGWTFBBQ!?!?!?!
Boss 3 should be officially acknowledged as one of the greatest bosses in the history of video games.

Decision: Accept.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Patrick 'PJ' DiCesare!
Thread title:  
that Metroidvania guy
I can't believe this got enough verifiers. Also I hope that audio commentary we had never goes up with the run, as memorable as it was. >_>

Good job PJ!
Edit history:
PJ: 2012-01-24 06:57:00 pm
Is PJ
Whoa!  I did not know about the improvements listed by verifier 1!  I am definitely going to have to look into those!  I might end up redoing this run, because that is a lot of time that can be saved, honestly.  I had a feeling the block puzzle could be solved quicker, but I had a mental block (seriously, no pun intended) ever since I found the solution in my video.  Thanks for the constructive criticism!

Verifier 2, all of the deaths in this run were intentional.  I died in level 2 to refill my health for the final room and boss of that level.  That seems to be the best way to do it.  ^_^

So I think with the improvements verifier 1 found, a better final boss, and fewer mistakes (I think I only made....2-3 executional errors), this can be cut down to maybe 14:50?  I am going to have to look into this.

Thanks again for verifying, everybody!  I can't say I was expecting to see this get through verification so soon.  ;P

Edit:  We did record audio commentary for this but uhh....we had to scrap it.  Haha.  Don't worry though, there will be audio commentary for it submitted before this is posted to the site.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Awwww PJ...now how are you gonna win the "most runs stuck in verification" title? You got pretty unlucky to have this verified so fast.

But in all seriousness, great job. I think I was actually one of the first people to watch this run Smiley
Is PJ
Haha don't worry sinister.  I have a few aces up my sleeve for that title, yet.  Tongue

I'm going to revisit my routes tonight and get practicing.  I will try for an improvement of this before moving onto my other stuff.  ^_^
I should have put this in my comments.

1.  DOWN middle
2.  RIGHT top
3.  DOWN left
4.  RIGHT bottom
5.  DOWN right
6.  DOWN left

14:50 would mean near-perfection on the Critic.  I don't know if this game deserves that much attention. :x

Great run, by the way.  I didn't mean to sound as critical as I did.
Is PJ
Haha, that solution would've been much appreciated.  Fortunately, lagdotcom (with the power of COMPUTORZ) was able to find the optimal solution (which...yea, is the same as yours).  Of course, doing the bottom left fifth saves a bit of backtracking.  I rerouted that room and came out 15 seconds ahead.  Woo!  I also found a timesaver in the last room of level 2 which saves another 5 seconds.

I tried your strat on the boss of level 3 and don't think I will do that.  I either end up dying from fireball damage while luring the dinosaur or I spend too long avoiding fireballs to make it worthwhile.  If it only saves a few seconds, I am going to just use the death abuse strats.  Not just for lolz (though that's a major reason), but also because it sets up level 4 very nicely for me.  I need the blue shirt kid to have full health for an optimal level.

With 20 seconds saved on level 2, if I cut just one of my mistakes and have the same Critic fight I'll be at low 14:50's.  A perfect Critic fight is just....no.  It's so dumb.  Haha.

Quote from Verifier 1:
Great run, by the way.  I didn't mean to sound as critical as I did.

Thanks!  No need to apologize.  I really appreciate the comments.  ^_^  I hope you will be ready to verify another run of this, that's all.  Haha.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from PJ:
Haha don't worry sinister.  I have a few aces up my sleeve for that title, yet.  Tongue

Wait, I thought you were going to hold off on Metal Morph until later. Why would you use your trump card so soon?
Edit history:
PJ: 2012-01-25 12:43:49 am
PJ: 2012-01-25 12:41:50 am
PJ: 2012-01-25 12:32:08 am
PJ: 2012-01-25 12:30:20 am
Is PJ
I'm not a high enough level to run that yet, Mike.  No need to fear.

Edit:  I understand what you meant now with the Dinosaur boss fight.  I think I could do it your way to save the 3 seconds from the fight, and maybe suicide in the teeter totter room.  I'm not entirely sure if that's faster (need to time still), but there are no other places to death abuse.  Or I could do as you said and just take a really risky Critic fight with the extra health.  I'll test some things.

Edit2:  It can actually be done with only one death if you do some awesome jumping:

Saves around 9 seconds!  The issue is if I get hit, stage 4 is boned...
Edit history:
Exo: 2012-01-25 02:52:51 am
Sandbagging
Stop giving Dream TV that much attention :s
Anyways congrats on the run PJ! Smiley
(Time to start running a good game now )
Also congratulations on somehow finding enough verifiers for this xD
Quote from PJ:
Of course, doing the bottom left fifth saves a bit of backtracking.

Agh, you're right.  I need a verifier verifier. Sad

Quote from PJ:
DINOSAWR.avi

That is amazing.
The Great Farming Empire
I thought this game was Smash TV for a sec. >_<

I dont really know the game, so I dont know what to say really. Im sure its good though since its from the J of P'ing.
Is PJ
Sonikkustar, it's actually a pretty good game.  The controls can be pretty clunky and it is difficult to know what to do or where to go, but it is actually not bad once you figure it out.  I like it a lot.  ^_^

Anyways, I obliterated this run today.  I hope the verifiers are willing to verify another run of this.  ^_^  Also, verifier 1, I want to credit you in my new author's comments.  How do you want me to refer to you (assuming you want to still remain anonymous)?
Uh.

Verifier 1?  I'm not creative.  Professional Dream TV Verifier 64?
My name is unpronounceable
Just make sure to reply first, so that you're verifier 1 again.
Is PJ
Haha.  Alright.  Verifier 1 it is.  ^_^