List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

David 'atomicJo' Joassard's medium difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
the run is great. the runner makes great use of sequence breaking and the (crappy) clipping this game uses.

Pros:
- the fastest possible ways of movement were used
- the 175% damage move was used when it saves time
- most fights skipped, so the focus was on pure time and that is how it should be
- story and other unnecessary sequences were skipped (i miss the sirens Smiley
- good planning of Healing Potions (they were needed as the abuse of clipping can hurt the player)
- every move was carried out very precisely
- almost no time wastes (not even a minute if summed up)
- nice route planning
- ridiculous skill on dodging and controlling the character while fast jumping, so the player must have practiced a lot
- abused the brokenness of Fire Breath
- abused the power of bows
- no deaths
- no cheating (let's consider the clipping stuff as a "feature" rather than a "bug", as in most Megaman games)
- ENTERTAINING (!)
- less than one hour (!)

Cons:
- unnecessary collection of weapon, but the armor was useful at least
- the run is very dark...before the release you might consider to raise overall brightness, I kept it raised while watching the entire run and it was way better and there were no bright spots, where the raised brightness would hurt your eyes

Conclusion:

Accept. Please. Awesome work.

Quote:
The audio, video, and syncing are all fine.

There was no apparent cheating.

There are no deaths.

The quality of the speedrun was good overall so I say that its acceptable with reservations. While the execution was good, there were obvious problems in the planning department. Quite a few more potions and items were picked up than were needed. (Only one blue max HP potion was used at all, and most times a potion was acquired a few seconds were lost.) As I said, the execution was done well. Bunny hopping significantly increases movement speed while running around with Rynn if you get the timing down, and the runner was nearly flawless with it throughout. Also, the "out of bounds" areas were done well.

In the end, I think the run is worthy of SDA but could have been improved before submitting.

Judgment: Accept

Quote:
Hello Mike,

I watched the run several times now and replayed some parts of the game to confirm the glitches he used in this run (once for every glitch). So I did not test them on every occasion he did, but I'm pretty sure there's no cheating involved, since the other places look similar.

Now about the quality of the run.
The route is excellent throughout, the execution however is not.

He starts of with very small but frequent mistakes, not running/jumping the ideal line at some times (mostly bridges), but what bothers me most is when he takes avoidable damage to save one second (or sometimes less, if any) and on the other hand wastes about 5 seconds to get a potion. And while writing this I can recall at least 6 times, there may be more. I started doing a list to keep track of the time lost, until deciding I'd rather like to see it reworked.
Probably this run would benefit from more segments.
Since health is never replenished by story progression, but only through drinking potions (doesn't cost time) and nearly all of the potions that are on the way take about 1 or 2 seconds to pick up,  avoiding damage is the key to a fast run (if you take too much damage, you have to get potions, that are not on the way, which is the case here - I don't know how many he has in stock at the end of the game).

The last paragraph mainly applies to the first 20 of 58 minutes, while the last two-thirds are nearly flawless (if he takes damage, it's nearly unavoidable), which is a shame since you see the bad part first.
My guess would be that it is possible to save anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes with the exact same route and better execution, which I find is a lot in a 58 minute segmented run.

Greetings

Decision: Accept

Reason: The route planning was quite good, and though the execution and potion planning could be improved, two out of three verifiers approved the run.
Thread title: