Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Hardest SS run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Passes the cheat and quality test.

All you really need to take down the opponent is a 4 wave combo, with some of the waves having extra beans. 5 Waves can be overkill, especially when there's extra beans in a wave. Given though the random nature of the beans, it's pretty impressive that the runner managed to finish most of the stages as quickly as he did. Sir Fuzzy Llogic was a sore spot in the run, and really stood out when the runner messed up the combo in the beginning. Great run, but that part really made me cringe because it was not on par with the rest.

I'm not sure if I should reject it for that though, since the rest was pretty impressive. I was happy to see some variety of combos rather than the tried and true 3-stacks next to each other every round.

Accept.

Quote:
Small note: difficulty is called 'Hardest', there is also a 'Hard' so it would be better to call it Hardest on game page.

Doesn't cheat, video and audio is good.

Stage 1: 5/6 - Combo too big.
Stage 2: 5 - Combo maybe too big.
Stage 3: 4 - Messy.
Stage 4: 4 - Perfect, this guy is always easy anyway.
Stage 5: 3/4, 2 - Worked I guess
Stage 6: 5/6 - Combo too big.
Stage 7: 4/5 - Good.
Stage 8: 4 - Perfect and good luck.
Stage 9: 5 - Good luck.
Stage 10: 3, 2, 2 - ughhhhhhhhhhh this could not have gone much worse
Stage 11: 3/4 - Lucky.
Stage 12: 4/5 - Perfect!
Stage 13: 2/3, 3 - Still good.

Annoying because the later levels are much better than the earlier ones. I probably would have restarted but honestly this run is very good and I would have trouble playing Versus with this guy. Also seeing that he plans to improve this I don't have any problem with accepting.

Quote:
General Run Requirements:

A/V: Very good, could make everything out. Game sound is just as great as on the console itself!
Cheating: None
Missing Footage: None
Decision: See at bottom

Stage Comments:

There's no need for individual Stage comments, as a majority of the Stages were done very well, using great precision, and the tactic of finding the combo to completely destroy (or as close to it, needing only one more round of Nega-Beans after) your opponent as quickly as possible and move on to the next Stage.

The only Stage where it looks like the Runner may have become stuck trying to get the combo was on Stage 10 (Logik). Maybe it just takes that long (it's been a little bit since I played the game last), though this doesn't seem likely since all the Stages before and after it are still completed very quickly and efficiently. However, this is not grounds for rejection from my viewpoint as 1)it's late in the run, 2)everything else was done very well, and 3)one mistake/pressuring situation is not enough for me to say "nay".

On to the Stage Times!

Stage Times:

Arms: 0:36
Frankly: 0:32
Humpty: 0:35
Coconuts: 0:25
Sprocket: 0:32
Skweel: 0:31
Dynamight: 0:29
Grounder: 0:24
Spike: 0:28
Logik: 0:50
D. Breath: 0:29
Scratch: 0:25
Dr. R: 0:31

Run Time (using In-Game Stage Times): 06:47

Improvements:

I most likely will end up with nothing too harsh in this bit. If you notice, almost half of the Stage Times are sub-30 seconds (just one short). If some of the sub-40 second times could be shaved off to sub-30, I could see some more competition if this run gets accepted, plus a faster run time. Lastly, to the Runner themself, if Logik can be shaved off a bit to at least sub-40, it's a little faster.

Decision:

As I said earlier, Logik's stage is not enough for me to reject. Pressure, nerves, or something else, the Runner recovered and still finished the run in an awesome way. However, if they decide to submit again, I would hope that it's a little lower time. Otherwise, I think you know the answer:

ACCEPT!

Quote:
I'm going to go with an overall immediately.

Comment: I agree with the fact that you're doing way too much combo in most battle(I.E. only half of your combo enter the enemy zone and he's already literally dead and you have 8 metal bean line stock up for nothing. Aside from this, the run went pretty well and the runner already spot his own weak point so):

No cheating(unless there's something we don't know with your wife :O )
A/V: very nice

Decision: I'm going to go with an accept but if the runner accept to restart a new run, I would accept to re-watch it Tongue .

Quote:
Game- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Run time- 06:47 total stage times by in-game timer
          08:57 from selecting Start (after selecting Scenario) to when Stage 13 ends (the puyo are dropped)
                -Start time 00:20
                -End time 09:17
          *I'll let you guys decide which is better for timing.

Video quality- Good
Sound quality- Good

Evaluation of the run-
In-game stage times are in parentheses in seconds.

Stage 1: (36) The combo setup was sound, and while others think that a 5 combo could be overkill, it pretty much guarantees that the level will end. Especially since that you only need to get the 3rd column to fill completely to win.
Stage 2: (32) Slightly messy with placement. Still, two blocks of 30 dropped in to finish him off.
Stage 3: (35) This seemed really messy to me. A couple of bad drops slowed the progress on the combo setup, not to mention just bad luck.
Stage 4: (25) This stage was very nice in execution. A weaker combo does win here, as the opponent already has 4 puyo stacked up in the 3rd column, making the other 8 you dropped on him bring the column up to the 12 needed to finish him off.
Stage 5: (32) Another 4 combo win here. While a 5 combo would have finished him off sooner, this was still pretty good.
Stage 6: (31) A little bit of luck needed here, but it works out well with a 5 combo win.
Stage 7: (29) 5 combo for the win. Very nice considering that the 3rd column was completely empty.
Stage 8: (24) Quite a bit of luck on this stage. Runner explains the reason for the win so I don't need to elaborate here.
Stage 9: (28) Almost had a decent amount of garbage dropped on the runner during the setup, but the combo was executed right before the drop. Nice work.
Stage 10: (50) The game really ramps up the difficulty with this stage, and combines with runner's nerves, it shows. Really could be better as the runner scrapes by.
Stage 11: (29) While the big attack was good, what really sealed the deal was the lone drop that sealed off columns 5 and 6, effectively cutting the opponent's working area in half.
Stage 12: (25) Good luck and great execution makes this stage go fast.
Stage 13: (31) So close on getting a larger combo, but at least two 3 combos worked just as well.

Final Decision- Accept
There are many stages that could be improved (some more than others, like stage 10), but overall the luck and skill of the runner pulls through for the win against the evil Dr. Robotnik. I hope that an improvement does come later though, especially if the runner can increase which stages can be completed with a 4 combo rather than a 5 combo.

Quote:
Audio and video quality are perfect, and there's no cheating going on.  Run is done on the "Hardest" difficulty setting.

While I am far from an expert at this game (and thus don't have many technical things to point out), the runner here certainly is.  Every level is completed very quickly, with the exception of stage 10 (50 seconds) where the run falls a little flat.  Every other stage is finished in under 40 seconds.  In addition, some of the later stages are completed in under 30 seconds, which clearly takes a lot of skill to achieve.  The road bump at stage 10 is not enough of a setback here to reject the run.

Overall time: 407 seconds (sum of in-game timer across all 13 stages) = 6:47
Decision: Accept

Overall, the run is very fast and entertaining to watch.  I certainly learned a lot just by watching the runner play, and it makes me want to go back and play through the game again.  These two reasons alone make it an easy recommendation for SDA to host this run.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Bryan 'Hsanrb' Nash!
Thread title:  
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Congrats to Hsanrb. I consider myself to be good at this game and there is so much luck in determining when the 3rd column  gets filled. Even so, I know how tough this game is when you don't finish off the bots right away so well done!
grats

don't know how you can stand running this game for an extended period of time though, game is hell to speedrun
I'm a chuckster!
Congrats hsan! Even though I know you're disappointed this got accepted Wink
Edit history:
AxonZin: 2012-01-22 08:36:49 pm
I am encyclopedia
hsanrb is brnash backwards

hey so this run is going to replace kirby's avalanche right? they're the exact same game aside from artwork
yeah it should obsolete pojr's avalanche run
Thanks, I've already started doing more runs but all of it has been kinda of meh. Thought stage 10 would reject me, probably wouldn't have sent it in if there was a 40 to go along with that 50. Considering I improved my last pb by 40s when this run came on dvd. I might move to VC to not use the GC controller.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
The boss ai is the same as Kirby's Avalanche too?
Quote from mikwuyma:
The boss ai is the same as Kirby's Avalanche too?

Played KA on emulator, yes its the same in almost every aspect, the only difference is mean bean has passwords after every stage.
I am encyclopedia
mean bean machine is just the western version of puyo puyo, and kirby's avalanche is just the western version of super puyo puyo which is just the SNES port of puyo puyo, so yeah they're like the same in almost every aspect
Twinkle-Twinkle Lil' Star, har har!
Good job on getting this accepted. Can't wait to check it out!
Meh everytime I watch it I feel less and less excited about run quality and combo building, just looks a tad bland. I've already started attempting to improve it.