Edit history:
sinister1: 2014-02-19 12:19:30 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DoubleDragon2.html

'sinister1's  run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hola Mike,

DDII ready for approval.  I would usually send a level by level report, but it isn't really necessary.  This run beats the old run by a few seconds on level 1 and then goes on to speedrunning victory, by a large margin.

Each of the levels has some trouble spots, but the new runner still makes up the time with more optimized plans for killing enemies, meaning the few battle problems only show an open window for some improvement.

I will say the last level gets pretty ugly in the end, but the final boss fight is perfect, the AI goddess of luck showed her face here.

Overall, I timed this at 12:00 on the dot.  Shaving off almost two minutes from the current run makes this an obvious accept.

Oh, and that audio/visual stuff is good too.  No cheating, unless he payed the Shadow Boss to throw the fight.

Quote:
I came up with 12:02 for the new DDII run, ending at the start of the final cutscene.  The player said he got 11:58 and I can only assume that wasn't accounting for the last several seconds of control.  Frame-wise, 654 is when the first stage starts to appear and 43870 is when the end cutscene kicks in.  I accept the run as a boot to the head of DK28.

Quote:
What can I say this is an excellent run.

It is optimized to the nth degree. The only improvement to my knowledge is the mansion platform skip that will shave off a sizeable chunk of time. With close to best strategy used thoughout leaves only luck of emeny randomness to improve. A sizeable benchmark. Great work.

Did not see any signs of cheating
No audio/video issues

Quote:
This run is a good improvement over the current run.  Good quality and no signs of cheating.  The mistakes were minor (and all listed in the runner's comments) and acceptable but there were deaths abused to move along a little faster in two places.  Some of the fights (like the final boss) were pretty incredible and this run should definitely be accepted.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run knocks a huge chunk of time off the old one, accepting is a no-brainer.
Thread title:  
My feelings on The Demon Rush
One question, when does character control end in this game? The moment the final boss dies, or when the screen turns completely black? If it's the latter then I timed the first run incorrectly. :-[
You got a deletion wish?
I think it's when the screen goes black but don't quote me on that.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Thanks for all the positive feedback and accepting my first speed run.  Smiley

With regards to the timing, Twin Galaxies says "...The timer begins the instant you hit start on the Selection screen after selecting the Supreme Master difficulty and ends when you lay the final blow on the Shadow Master causing the screen will go black for a split second and show the hit in slow motion..." Not sure if its relevant but I figured I would mention it.

I wrote my comments under the assumption that my run would be timed in the same way as DK28's and that is how I came up with 11:58. If this is incorrect I will resubmit my comments with the correctly adjusted times.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
The timing ends at the black screen, after the final blow.  Since SDA times by character control.  You can still move after the final hit.  Example, Win with the hurricane kick, you can still throw an uppercut at landing.

And congrats on your first run Sinister.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Bah

I can confirm that you still have control until the screen goes black. Tested it out today and its true so I guess no sub 12:00 for me.
Not a walrus
Quote from sinister1:
Bah

I can confirm that you still have control until the screen goes black. Tested it out today and its true so I guess no sub 12:00 for me.

Bah, as far as I'm concerned timing ends when it's no longer possible to lose (usually when the boss dies but not always), and I can think of at least a few runs that are/were timed that way. Wink If your goal was 'sub-12 to boss death' then you still got it, official time or not.
The Dork Knight himself.
I'd say time the run until the last hit is delivered. While you still have control over your character after the hit, nothing you do will affect the run anymore (the game waits the same amount of time before the end "movie" every time).
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from honorableJay:
I'd say time the run until the last hit is delivered. While you still have control over your character after the hit, nothing you do will affect the run anymore (the game waits the same amount of time before the end "movie" every time).

True, but most runs are timed this way.  For instance, Contra games.
Cigar Man
How does the runner execute the flying knee so consistently?  Do you simply mash A and B?  Or do you push A and B just once at precisely the right time?  Do you push A a split second before B?  Do you push B a split second before A? 
You got a deletion wish?
Like I said on rejecting DK's original submission, I suck at timing those.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
How does the runner execute the flying knee so consistently?  Do you simply mash A and B?  Or do you push A and B just once at precisely the right time?  Do you push A a split second before B?  Do you push B a split second before A? 

B) Push A and B just once at precisely the right time.

There is more specific info about the knee timing in the planning thread.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
OK I obsoleted this run...twice.

I have a no deaths run in 12:01 which caused me to try for sub 12:00 deaths run since I wanted both runs up simultaneously. I got a sub 12:00 deaths run but I am not sure if I will submit it yet because it has an idiotic unintentional death and the whole point of the deaths run is to abuse deaths to save time not to randomly die and waste time.
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from sinister1:

I got a sub 12:00 deaths run but I am not sure if I will submit it yet because it has an idiotic unintentional death and the whole point of the deaths run is to abuse deaths to save time not to randomly die and waste time.

That one would be labeled as having a death because most of the time its hard to determine if the death was intentional or not.  Under 12 minutes?!  Damn, that's an even bigger boot to the head (yes, that was my critique).  Yeah don't submit that one and push it harder.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from MatrixTN:
Quote from sinister1:

I got a sub 12:00 deaths run but I am not sure if I will submit it yet because it has an idiotic unintentional death and the whole point of the deaths run is to abuse deaths to save time not to randomly die and waste time.

That one would be labeled as having a death because most of the time its hard to determine if the death was intentional or not.  Under 12 minutes?!  Damn, that's an even bigger boot to the head (yes, that was my critique).  Yeah don't submit that one and push it harder.

I'm shooting for 11:3x but that is awfully optimistic.
Back in the game!
Quote from MatrixTN:
Damn, that's an even bigger boot to the head (yes, that was my critique).

You're a mean verifier Sad
Cigar Man
Quote from sinister1:

OK.  Thanks.  I've been practicing the flying knee, and I can do it fairly consistently now.  What's your fastest time now?
You got a deletion wish?
Go for it!
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
Quote from sinister1:

OK.  Thanks.  I've been practicing the flying knee, and I can do it fairly consistently now.  What's your fastest time now?

PM sent, good luck to you sir.
Cigar Man
Oh, I wasn't planning to speedrun the game.  I was just practicing the flying knee for fun.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Quote from vgmrsepitome:
Oh, I wasn't planning to speedrun the game.  I was just practicing the flying knee for fun.

Heh, I misunderstood. Thought you were about to put up some sick sub 12:00 time.

Glad to hear someone is having "fun" playing this game  Smiley
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from UltimateDarius:
You're a mean verifier Sad

I haven't rejected many runs, some of the rejects I've verified were "yea" votes from me but the rest said no.  And if you haven't already, look up "boot to the head" on youtube to catch my drift regarding sinister's improvements.
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
11:37-38 is now the time to beat. Probably submitting this one, but still trying to improve it a bit more.
You got a deletion wish?
Quote from sinister1:
11:37-38 is now the time to beat.

Dang!  Keep going!
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
Random update: 11:35 is my new best time.

Shooting for 11:2x but that is going to be my limit, and if I do not get it soon the 11:35 will have to do....for now.