List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DonkeyKongCountry3.html

Austinn 'Davis' Hallman's Hard SS, 105% Hard, and Riverside Race runs

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V quality: Sound is mono... unlike some people, who are soft Wink this doesn't bother me too much. But I should point it out anyway.

Cheating: None

Gameplay: It's really good to see the runner learn from his mistakes. I felt the existing run was pretty good, but there were a bunch of tricks he didn't use last time, and it looks like he's put a lot of effort into learning them.

The first thing that looks even slightly like an execution mistake is in Fish Food Frenzy... clearly the runner has a very strict plan for how this level is supposed to go and when Snapper doesn't eat the fish he's supposed to he has to wait for a second or two.

On Krevice Kreepers, you can spin through the ropes at the very end, but the way he does it may even be faster. Certainly not much slower, if at all.

I never knew you could stand between the pits of lava in Krack Shot Kroc. That makes me really sad cause that level was such a bitch.

Holy crap he was living on the edge in the last three levels! Those levels completely ruined the game for me so I'm quite happy to see them blown to pieces.

Final boss was brilliant, lots of ways of speeding it up that I hadn't even thought of!

My final questions, a couple of things I noticed in the planning. Both of these are really nitpicky but I thought I'd put it out there for future reference:
* Is it actually fastest to take the last hit on the Arich Attack battle on the left hand side? I would have thought if you took it on the right hand side you could go straight to the barrel (or at least, make it only one bounce off the spider).
* What was the purpose of the switch at the end of Kong-Fused Cliffs? You go through the next two levels without taking a hit and then have to switch back during Ropey Rumpus. Is it just a risk hedging strategy? Even if it is, since you get both Kongs back after every level I'm not sure it would matter.

Final note: This run actually makes the game look good, and that is the highest praise I can give it. ACCEPT.

Guess I'll throw in Riverside Race too:

A/V: Again, mono sound.

Cheating: None to speak of.

Decision: Accept
Reason: For the biggest monkey bounce off a river I've ever seen!

Quote:
The sound is only coming out the right channel for these speedruns. You probably knew that already though.

Riverside Race
At first it’s just small gameplay changes such as swimming over the fish instead of under it, jumping out of the water quicker, and rolling at different times, but then the runner uses a whole new strategy near the end which turns out to make quite the difference in timing. This beats the old one by 2.30 seconds, so it’s an accept.

Hard Single Segment
- Most of the first area goes the same, with some small changes in gameplay for faster times.
- Barrel Shield Bust-Up is the first level where there’s a large noticeable difference in time.
- Arich goes perfectly compared to the old run. In that one, he broke the first barrel on Arich’s legs and added an extra phase to the fight as a result.
- In Fire-Ball Frenzy, the runner damages boosts up to a line to save a few seconds.
- Blazing Bazookas contains a huge route change where the runner doesn’t transform into the spider, since Dixie can do what needs to be done, and faster. There is also less hesitation on a lot of things.
- Low-G Labyrinth gets completed WAY faster than before, and there’s a route change too.
- An awesome new strategy for Kaos gets used which cuts 40 seconds off the fight.
- Tracker-Barrel Trek is another level where the runner skips out on the animal transformation and beats the level faster as a result.
- Krack-Shot Krok goes a whole 25 seconds faster due to much improved web shooting skills.
- The Bleak battle is the only level so far that gets finished slower than the old run, by about one whole second.
- Buzzer Barrage also goes slower by a few seconds due to the runner missing the barrel at the start.
- I’m not sure how it happens, but the runner loses Kiddy despite being on the other side of the rope, resulting in a third level going slower by one second.
- Floodlit Fish makes up for all the previous time lost.
- In Ropey Rumbus, the runner does another damage boost to skip a section of ropes.
- Despite Barbos throwing out an extra homing enemy in the second phase of the fight, the runner still beats him 30 seconds faster with a new strategy.
- In Lightning Look-Out, he takes out two bees with one barrel and avoids having to wait for the thunder bolt to help him. It gets completed 15 seconds faster too.
- Poisonous Pipeline gets beat 18 seconds faster thanks to a new route.
- There are massive changes to the K. Rool strategy that help him win the fight 40 seconds faster.
Even though it’s not TOTALLY perfect, this went from a 0:51 to a 0:45, so it’s an obvious accept.

Hard Segmented 100%
I don’t have much to say about this one, because I can already hear the bitching of “52 segments!? ZOMG! I hate this speedrunner! >:(” that will drown out any praise I can give it. They’ll totally ignore the fact that the time has gone from 1:36 to 1:29, and I’ve pretty much said what’s been improved upon above anyway. There are some fun cases of abuse when it comes to DK coins and bonus games though. All the segments are in order, and I accept this improvement too.

Quote:
I apologize for how long it took me to do this, but here they all are:

DKC3 verification

A/V quality is good on all and there is no cheating to be seen.

I'm going to start with the SS hard because it's the one I'm most interested in.
Lake Orangatanga: Nothing to speak of here, looks like all went according to plan. I was under the impression that running into Belcha holding the bugs to let them fall in his mouth was faster than throwing them in, but watching this makes me think that's not true.

Kremwood Forest: I saw I think one roll that he could have done and didn't, so this world is clean as well. Nice strategy with switching to Dixie and setting the barrel down.

Mekanos: Since he is to the point where he actually plays levels now I'll break it down a little more in-depth.
Fire-Ball Frenzy: SKips the risky strategy of rolling into the ladybug. Misses the jump from the rope onto the platform. Nice damage boost with Kiddy though.
Demolition Drain-Pipe: All well here, nothing to say.
Ripsaw Rage: Slow, boring level, but no mistakes.
Blazing Bazukas: Takes a hit on the TNT barrel, which almost looked like it was on purpose but I don't think it was.
Low-G Labyrinth: Switches to Kiddy so he will have DIxie at the end of the level. Almost makes it through the bees but takes a hit. Also messes up the transformation boost up to the barrel.
Kaos Karnage: Awesome to see the implementation of the teamthrow strategy. It's extremely difficult to take him down in one throw, so two is definitely acceptable.

Cotton-Top-Grove:
Bazza's Blockade: Got caught up on a couple edges which he was slipping through small gaps, but looked good otherwise.
Rocket Barrel Ride: Probably my personal favorite level, and looks great. Much better use of rolling, except on the bee waited on could be rolled under then jumped over instead of a wait.
Kreeping Klasps: Good use of taking damage to switch.
Tracker Barrel Trek: NOthing to say here, looks good.
Feeding Frenzy: Great planning on when to feed the fish, though unlucky with the first one not wanting to be eaten.
Squirt's Showdown: Clean as can be.

K3: Don't understand the name of this world but okay.
Krevice Kreepers: This level looks so good when done fast, however the runner didn't roll at the end (when in rolling animation you can't grab ropes, skipping the need to drop through the final few ropes before the exit.)
Tearaway Toboggan: Looks fine.
Barrel Drop Bounce: Also looks good.
Krack-Shot Kroc: A small misjump against the wall. Uses damage to get through the final obstacle.
Lemguin Luge: Very cautious on this level. I would like to have seen some more rolling (especially through one of Kremlins he spun over). You normally can't roll through a Lemguin, but you can when they are coming out of a hole or you are falling on top of them from a house, and there were a few missed opportunities here.
Bleak's House: This doesn't belong in a DKC game.

Razor Ridge:
Buzzer Barrage: One of the most difficult levels in this game, and very impressive when done well. Almost like Parrot Chute Panic in DKC2 but not quite as cool. Misses a barrel near the beginning and has to go back. The way the walls were designed in this game allows you to skip destroying several bees. Was definitely cool to see the risky jump over the Kopter at the end instead of waiting for it to pass by (I never do it because of the difficulty of the level).
Kong-Fused Cliffs: Slow level... but takes a hit at the very end. It almost looks like it's on purpose instead of switching.
Floodlit Fish: This was awesome, very quick and completely in the dark. Well done.
Pot Hole Panic: Looks like there could have been a supercharge done at the beginning of the Enguarde section. And yes, looks like the hit two levels ago was on purpose.
Ropey Rumpus: Nice damage boost. And I did not know about that hidden barrel. Level looks good.
Barbos's Barrier: Much improved boss strategy from last time, though I don't understand the long wait for the second hit.

Kaos Kore: Some seriously obnoxious levels to end the game with. Does he come through clutch?
Konveyor Rope Klash: Takes a hit at the end, otherwise good.
Creeoy Caverns: The most luck dependent level. Some of the ghost barrels go in a completely random order, and as seen here sometimes they go in the direction you need last of all possible ways. Does extremely well with what he gets though.
Lightning Look-Out: The lightning has some pretty good AI at predicting where you will end up if you keep going at your current pace, so the stops are all to avoid being struck. Very nice though.
Koindozer Klamber: Gets caught up on the Bazuka.
Poisonous Pipeline: If you didn't know this level, you couldn't even tell there are opposite controls in this level. Amazing work.
Kastle Kaos: Maybe I just suck at this boss, but this was great.

And that's it! Just reading over the comments makes it look bad, but this doesn't include everything good that was done, and why this 6 minute improvement is an easy accept.

Riverside Race: Nothing much to say, except that it is good and an improvement, so accept.

105% Segmented: I can't say I'm a fan of how segmented this run is, but that isn't what this verification is about, though because of this most comments can be summed up to "looks good".

Lakeside Limbo: A couple messed jumps in the banana bonus. (Side note: should've used the MERRY code, Christmas bonuses are so much cooler.)
Doorstop Dash: Looks like there are a couple points he should have rolled and did not, including over the edge at the end of the level where you can roll jump directly onto the end flag.
Tidal Trouble: Nice use of the wooden barriers to do roll jumps.
Skidda's Row: Looks fine.
Murky Mill: Nice route with working backwards.
Belcha's Barn: Looks good.
Barrel Shield Bust-Up: Missed a possible roll jump through the circling bees. Great banana bonus.
Riverside Race: Looks good.
Squeals on Wheels: Nice damage boost at the end.
Springin' Spiders: Awesome banana bonus.
Bobbing Barrel Brawl: Seems like that Bear Coin could have easily be gotten without wasting time, if there are any others along the way that take time to get.
Arich's Ambush: Looks good.
Bazza's Blockade: Ditto.
Rocket Barrel Ride: I didn't realize why he got the bird at first, but that's good strategy. Also good on the trick to get the DK Coin.
Kreeping Klasps: Banana bonus was pretty good.
Tracker Barrel Trek: Looks fine.
Fish Food Frenzy: Eating bonus was really nice.
Squirt's Showdown: I've always like this runners method of doing this boss.
Fire Ball Frenzy: I think for a segmented run he should have rolled through the flying bug. Spider bonus was awesome. Looked like there was a small pause on the DK Coin guy (can't remember his name. Is it just Koin?).
Demolition Drainpipe: Missed an easy Bear Coin going over a bee instead of under.
Ripsaw Rage: Screws up the team throw to the Bonus Coin... for such an easy level you'd this could have been redone.
Blazing Bazukas: At this point I'm very confused about the Bear Coin route, but why not pick up the one just sitting there after getting rid of Squitter?
Low-G Labyrinth: Looks good.
Kaos Karnage: Ditto.
Krevice Kreepers: Love this level, and this level run.
Tearaway Toboggan: Looks fine.
Barrel Drop Bounce: Interesting to see the use of riding on the keg. In the Find the coin bonus, could you not have made the jump from the left barrel straight to the bonus coin?
Krack-Shot Kroc: Excellent Squitter handling.
Lemguin Luge: I don't understand not rolling through the last Kremlin and just spinning over it.
Bleak's House: Looks fine, nothing special.
Buzzer Barrage: The level I was most looking forward to, and I was not disappointed. Great stuff.
Kong-Fused Cliffs: Scrolling, boring level.
Floodlit Fish: Love the darkness.
Pothole Panic: I don't get not supercharging the first long straightaway as Enguarde.
Ropey Rumpus: Is it just me or are the rope levels in this game some of the best ones? Kong-Fused Cliffs excluded.
Barbos's Barrier: Very nice using this strategy.
Konveyor Rope Klash: Good luck on the banana bonus.
Creepy Caverns: Good use of the team throw in the bonus. Looks like the jump off Squitter was trying to make it directly onto the bonus ledge and didn't make it.
Lightning Look-Out: If only you could have manipulated the lightning from killing the bug you could have rolled through it instead.
Koindozer Klamber: Looks good.
Poisonous Pipeline: Always impressed with this runner's runs of this level.
Kastle Kaos: Awesome. Just plain awesome. I suck at this fight. Cue obnoxiously long and unskippable credits.
Stampeded Sprint: Very nice first bonus.
Criss Kross Cliffs: Never would have thought of that bonus strategy. What was the reason of getting Dixie hit, if it was on purpose?
Tyrant Twin Tussle: Looks good. Again, team throw strategy is great.
Swoopy Salvo: A small misjump going up the... Salvos?
Rocket Run: Best music in this game, imo. Interesting attack on the Koin at the end.

I can't say I personally like the idea of going around and picking up all of the bear coins through Swanky, but then again it's not about my opinion, and if it doesn't count against you then go for it. He finishes up collecting the banana birds and this is a definite accept by me. It improves well on the previous run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: They're all great improvements.

BTW, I'm really sorry it took me so long to get this posted, Austinn. I got really lazy when it came to converting the tapes.
Thread title:  
Master-88
I hear thats was massive improvement over your previous any-% run. I can,t wait see your runs because i liked your previous one so much.

7 minutes faster 100% is surely good stuff too and riverside race sounds awesome. Someone are did 52 seconds riverside race too, but like many youtube videos are played on emulator. Awesome see these runs in SDA. Big congrats with this:)
we have lift off
Nice job on the big improvements, looking forward to seeing them.
You got a deletion wish?
Somebody get Marshmallow out of retirement, sounds like his 105 got the crap beat out of it.
This is going to be interesting. As I was more or less the only one who wanted the previous runs to be rejected. I'm looking forward to see the improved versions. And hopefully I don't have anything to complain at this time :).
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2

/has absolutely nothing else to contribute.
//am looking forward to the run though.
Quote from Psychochild:
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2

/has absolutely nothing else to contribute.
//am looking forward to the run though.

Well now I know...
I guess that reveals I am the third verifier, and I realized that I write enormous comments. Oh well, not like that's a bad thing.
And Tompa, while I"m sure you could still find something to complain about, it definitely won't be as much as before. Both of these runs were great.
superspeed- aronomous
Thank you muchly to everyone who verified, I really appreciate the constructive criticism. And don't worry Mike about how long it took, I was in no hurry.

to the first verifier:
In Krevice Kreepers, for some reason whenever I would roll though those last ropes as Dixie, she would always just hit the side of the cliff and fall onto the ropes. I'm not too sure what this was caused by, but only a second or two were lost.
In the Arich battle, I'm sure it would be faster to get hit on the right side. I guess I just never thought about that before.
In Kong-Fused Cliffs, if I remember correctly, taking that hit was to propel myself upward to fly into the bonus faster, and so that Kiddy can throw the keg at the end.

to the third verifier:
I should have rolled through the bug in Fire Ball Frenzy, and boosted with Enguarde in Pot Hole Panic, good observations.
I get hit in Criss Kross Cliffs as a way of switching, and, because it also gives you a boost, I used that to hit the TNT barrel switch.
And honestly, I wasn't caring about the bear coins along the way.

Besides that, everything is summed up very nicely. Thanks again!
Quote from Capt. Davis:
to the third verifier:
I should have rolled through the bug in Fire Ball Frenzy, and boosted with Enguarde in Pot Hole Panic, good observations.
I get hit in Criss Kross Cliffs as a way of switching, and, because it also gives you a boost, I used that to hit the TNT barrel switch.
And honestly, I wasn't caring about the bear coins along the way.

Besides that, everything is summed up very nicely. Thanks again!

I figured you weren't caring about halfway through the run, but watching it through the first time I had originally thought the plan was to get them all on the way, so I was really confused at first when you were missing them. Makes sense though.
I watched the any% run. Respect to the runner for having improved so much since the previous run. The new run is definitely played well enough to be worthy of the DKC series.
Master-88
I watched your any-% run. I liked much your previous one too but this new one look super awesome.

I think its very close perfect limit into game. I just pointed out 5-8 minor mistake entire run and these ones cost maybe 1-3 seconds per each mistake. This run was truly great, i think even TAS can,t be much better.