Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DonkeyKong.html

Joseph 'Pokey' Looney's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Before saying anything about the run I do have 1 question for the runner:

I got one question for the runner though. Because on the NES when you do the ladder trick in the beginning it makes a barrel go through the stage (instead of falling down) and when you press reset button this somehow seems to trigger that you cannot use that ladder trick anymore (you die when you go off screen from the bottom to the top).
The only way to get rid of it was to do 'power on', 'power off'. I hope this makes sense... Anyway, did this problem also occur on the VC?

The run itself, I'll keep it short.

AV quality seems to be excellent, no cheating spotted etc. etc. It is done on the virtual console although I don't think that gives any differences.
Floor 1 has a slight improvement because he didn't have to jump over the barrel.
Floor 2 isn't that difficult if you practice a bit, you just need to have the luck that the fire thing doesn't stand in your way.
And in Floor 3 he uses 2 '1-frame' to turn around so which is what saved the most time. There are still 2 more that can be used, but the amount of retries this would take extra is pretty big I think. Because you also need the luck of good fire spawning thingies that hate you.
He jumps near the end as done in the TAS, although it is actually slower for reaching your goal (completing the game). (The reason the TAS does this is because your 'end of input' does end earlier though... At least I think that's the reason).

I was afraid when I saw this that the improvement would be extremely minimal, but it certainly satisfies me that he used that trick twice.
Definite ACCEPT for me. Three 1 frame tricks in this short run without any noticeable mistakes.

Quote:
The verification thread degenerated into a discussion about how many frames (not seconds, but frames) were lost.

Accept.

Quote:
Video quality is good. I thought I noticed some slight audio desync, but I think that was just the game's delay on playing Mario's walking sound. The play quality is as perfect as a console player will probably ever get this run; mere frames were lost throughout the entire run. The luck manipulation was perfect, and Pokey even used the unthinkable "walk over a rivet and then turn around and hit the rest of the fucking rivets" trick, which (iirc) was the only trick that the TAS used that console didn't use.

Verdict: Accept. Doing otherwise would anger the dark lord Inglip, and we wouldn't want that, now would we?

Decision: Accept

Reason: Tompa would be proud.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
romscout: 2011-05-16 05:03:30 pm
that Metroidvania guy
Now the only thing left to do for improvement are the ladder glitches :v

...do those require impossible dpad inputs? I forgot.

edit: I mean the ones in the 2nd stage, not the obvious one in the first.
Edit history:
Greenalink: 2011-05-16 01:38:09 pm
DS Dictator
What about runs done on the PAL Red Wii systems... it is the 8-Bit NES ones version pre-installed that has the factory stage fully restored. Too bad it runs in unoptimised PAL 50HZ for a game out in 2010 -_-.
that Metroidvania guy
Doesn't NTSC have the factory stage too?
DS Dictator
The 'Original Edition' is only out in Europe as far as I know although there are roms and wads already out there.

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmsPOwYf70
Go to 0:45 to see the 8-bit factory level
Speedrunner
Verifier #1: I had that problem when I first started attempting but for some reason in the later half it never happened to me once.
I think I know who verifier #3 is <_<
Anyway thanks for fast verification and fast putting up the thread :O
Quote from romscout:
Now the only thing left to do for improvement are the ladder glitches :v

...do those require impossible dpad inputs? I forgot.

edit: I mean the ones in the 2nd stage, not the obvious one in the first.

The ladder glitches require about 3 different inputs in a span of 4 frames or so (up or down for grabbing the ladder, 1 frame ladder down or up for getting of the ladder and a few frames later moving to the right/left again. And of course the fact that you have to execute it in the right spot in order for it to gain time.
So yeah, If this would also be used correctly it would be pretty insane.

Also, there are still two 1-frame rivet tricks that can be used.
Frames? :O