List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DiddyKongRacing.html

100% SS run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This run is about two minutes faster than the existing European one. It can be much, much faster because there are numerous mistakes. The second Triceratops race, Icicle Pyramid, Windmill Plains, Wizpig, and Star City stand out as levels that really needed to be improved.  He also crashes into a bunch of corners in many of the levels, bringing him to a dead stop. Sometimes it happens in the same spot twice in a row. To be fair, I realize that this is a very long single segment run, and he does kick ass in a lot of the other levels, but in my opinion there are way too many mistakes and those levels that go bad really cost him a lot of time. The capture quality is pretty bad, and there’s that massive footage skipping glitch I sent you a note about earlier. I kind of feel bad for having to do this, but I think I’m going to have to reject it. Everyone else will probably vote to pass it, but I feel that this runner should go back and crush this attempt.

Quote:
Ah, yes, Diddy Kong Racing. So many good nostalgia moments there, going through, using the plane to pull off little tricks while racing, fighting opponents in frustrating minigames, boss races, trying hours to beat Wizpig....oh the pain....

Let it be known that i actually had some persistence in this game. I've gone through and trialed my way through T.T. records and finally unlocked the finicky bastard. Quite an interesting choice of words, as the runner decides NOT to choose the finicky bastard and instead go for the fat badger. Why? This is a new game run, i'm assuming. But that still doesn't answer why he uses drumstick instead of TT at the end... (Note: I guess he may be choosing not to use T.T. cause he is unlocked outside of adventure mode, but if the runner could give an explanation, that'd be good.)

Also, i'm in my critic mode. I'm going to be harsh on this run, considering how closely tied it was to my suffering. If you don't like me being overly critical, then too bad. I'm a critic, i'm allowed to nitpick and critique. It's my job. If I wasn't a critic, then i'd be a poor verifier, right?

The Beginning of the End of the first part of my verification

Chooses plane, gets 4 balloons, and goes into the dino hub. Pretty quick.

THE DINO HUB

Let's run through the courses quickly

Jungle Falls 1: For the first level, this should be flawles-- OH, ouch. Hits an enemy on an overlap and hits the wall. Time lost: a good 4 seconds

Ancient Lake 1: Nailed it. Missed one boost balloon, but the key grab was good. I think if that balloon was gotten, it might have saved you from making a longer drift around the dino.

Fossil Canyon 1: At this point in the run, there is SEVERE CHEATING!!!! The controller obviously wants to ruin the run, so it pauses. As such, there is SEVERE CHEATING!!!! on the part of the controller, but not on the running man. (/shot for making a reference to Yours Truly)

Runner misses easily placed turbo strip, but does so for banana's, i guess to make his speed better in the long run. On the overlap, he is blocked, but manages to recover. Well done.

Hot Top Volcano 1: First plane level. Done damn well. I guess the little roll, besides saving you some room on the last part, increases your speed? (Asking cause i never messed with that)

Dino Boss 1: More cheating by the AI. Dino gets a start before runner does.

Gets squished by one rock, setting him back a small amount of time. Hits the shortcut pretty well.

Falling Jungle 2: Hits a wall, ends up doing some kinda wierd ass jump, but otherwise pwns.

Lake of the Ancients 2: Does well, ends up hitting a pole for the "Finish!" banner.

Canyon that has Fossils 2: Last lap had to hurt, messing up that one jump.

THE GOD DAMN VOLCANO LEVEL....2: Weird stuttering at one boost, and one missed super boost. Otherwise go-- Oh, nope, he rammed the damn wall at the end....sigh....

Cheating dino boss 2: Squished by a rock then pwned by the dino, today was a sad day for mr. Badger. Seriously, most of this race was FUBAR'd. Use a boost, hit a tree. Use a rocket, dino squishes you. And you missed the shortcut. So this is a big fat strike on you Speed Runner Score Card.

So now that the boss is done, it's time to leave di-- AW SHIT, THE TROPHY RACE?!?!?

Da Trophy Race 1: First race, takes turn instead of shortcut, second race, has unfortunate stop, third race, pwnd, final race, roll makes him collide with ground pretty hard once. Wins the damn thing.

I'm going to call SEVERE CHEATING!!!! on the vehicles. Any plane that collides with the ground, or the wall from the earlier race, should blow up. SEVERE CHEATING!!!!

And now, we finally leave the great exalted Dino Dom-- FFFFFFFF, THE MINI GAME!!!

Fire Mountain: Oh, you mean a volcano? Does great with an ass minigame. You can tell what my feelings are to this game by now, if not, then you don't win a gold star.

ON THE ISLAND

Genie race goes swell, as it should. It's a damn circle.

ICEMAN LAND

Frosty Village 1: Diddy Kong causes some trouble in the beginning, causing a missed balloon. Hits a tree off a jump.

Snowball Valley 1: We get our first Purple boost, and it leads to some pinball style bouncing. Getting the Key was nice, but the boost after it led to a mishap.

Everfrost Peak 1: Good timing with a purple boost allowed for one mishap to be counteracted, very nice. Had two time consuming crashes, both at the same turn. Lost the final boost, ouch.

Walrus Cove 1: Nearly flawless. Only one real time hurter.

Gentleman Walrus 1: A walrus with a bowtie, Wut wut? This was beautiful. And now, silver coin challenge.

The Home of Gentleman Walrus 2: I'd figured Walrus Cove would be his home, right? Painful moment after the loop, colliding with railing. Worse than the first time, even if he didn't have to get the coins.

Peak of Everlasting Frost 2: Bad luck with the missle hitting him. Crazy ass ending, though, props for that.

Ball Mountain 2: Immature joke, yeah. Worst i saw was one squish.

Village that's apparantly Frosty 2: I need better joke names. Missed a few coins on first lap, nothing too serious.

Even More Gentlemanny Walrus 2: Another thing of beauty. Effort! Honest to God Effort!

Runner has a moment of indecision, then it's...

DA TROPHY RACE....2: Good lord, what the hell happened to you Lap 1 Race 1? Race 2 had a missed turbo, race 3 had a rough moment in it, and race 4 has god awful music.

And with that, we move onto....

Pointy ice thing pyramid: Here are my feelings on this minigame....<Censored>....Now that i got that done, let me say the runner did ok on it. It's by no means the best i've ever seen, and it did come down to the wire, but it wasn't total shit. A few things confused me, but overall, it's meh.

BACK OUTSIDE AGAIN....

Ice mountain place is done, so that means it's time for a genie race. This time, we see the one vehicle that rarely gets used in the first half, the hovercraft. No major problems here.

RANDOM ROCK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEA HUB

Treasure Caves 1: Blockage at the start prevents our runner from hitting a Zipper. Only trouble here is AI caused.

Pirate Lagoon 1: Screws up the jump at end of lap 1. Man, the Badger here is taking some major hits from the walls today.

Crescent Island 1: Oddly, my favorite course. Runner makes a damn impressive showing by grabbing the key DURING the race. That, my friends, is fuckin' A. Oh, and he hits the wall once.

Whale Bay 1: Diddy makes another block, cheeky little bastard. Misses a balloon. Runner makes showboating ending.

Octo...squid...thing 1: Music, as per usual with boss races, is still catchy. No real complaints, just "He hit a wall" nitpicks.

Side note: I like how each boss says "MY NEW CHALLENGE" when they all have the same damn thing.

Indiana Jones' Vacation Course 2: Don't ask. I don't know WTF i'm thinking either. Goes well.

Jack Sparrow's Second Home 2: It goes well, save for what should have been a boat destroying crash on lap 2, plus turning around for the final coin.

The "C" Island that really doesn't look like a "C" 2: Long ass title ftw. Level meets its maker.

Moby Dick's Home Town 2: Misses the shortcut on lap 3, due to asshole whale. Otherwise good.

Red......thing 2: Boss resorts to using the most deadly of all projectiles...Bubbles. Runner dodges these magnificent items of doom.

DA TROPHY RACE 3: Race 2, runner keeps missing the blue balloon before the castle cave entrance. Guess third time's the charm, though. Takes painful hit on cave in race 4.

Darkwater Beach: Another crappy minigame. Runner gets revenge on diddy for all the shit that diddy put him through. Runner almost seems to get lost at the end.

OUTSIDE....YET AGAIN....

We complete a hub, we get a race. This time, it's a flyer's challenge. Does the runner....miss a start boost? Gasp! Of course, the runner wins, but he can't quite seem to get into the final island hub

THE FOREST OF THE DRAGONS

Windmill Planes 1: Planes is right. Damn, he doesn't just fly into the windmill on lap one, he full on collides with it. SEVERE CHEATING!!! since it did not blow up.

Greenwood Village 1: If my memory is correct, isn't there a short cut right after the first zipper in the well? If there is, then there's my nitpick for this level.

Boulder Canyon 1: So far, the damn highlight of the run. That was good, especially the key grab. Good lord, you're goin' for a show stopper there!

Haunted Woods 1: Ironically, this is an easy ass course, considering how late it is. Makes a few wall hits, unfortunately.

Spyro's Older Red Brother 1: And he's a damn cheating bastard! Our runner shows some flying skills here that'd make the Red Baron look like a kid piloting an RC plane.

Windmill(s that get hit by) Planes 2: Same level, same mistake. Good god, i'm surprised Mr. Badger hasn't paid his 100 bananas for personal injury. Oh, and there was an odd flip at the start of lap 3. Showboating or big mistake? YOU DECIDE!

Village built with Greenwood 2: One wall hit, but good overall. My question on well shortcut stands.

Canyon that should be filled with Boulders but apparantly isn't 2: Ouch, takes a hit on lap 1, leaving the sewers. Hard to see oil gets him on lap 2, otherwise good.

Home to Luigi's Mansion 2: Takes a wall hit, same old same old. Misses the last coin, which prevents him from taking the zipper on the last lap.

Spyro's Cheating Older Red Brother 2: Dude remembers he's a damn DRAGON, so this time fire blockers come into play. Does this stop the runner? Hell no. Good race man.

DA TROPHY RACE 4: ...Ugh....Repetition sets in. He does good, did you expect anything else? Except for a WTF moment with the AV. My video just randomly sped up at the final lap of planes.

Castle Minigame: My favorite of them all. A/V finally fixes itself here.

FINALLY, WIZPIG 1

HOLY SHIT! LAUGHING HEAD! Runner goes to grab Drumstick, but ends up missing a few times. Wizpig cheats, knocking the runner away from a few zippers, but the runner makes an amazing comeback, despite a bridge hit and some trouble staying on the road.

Damn, what a shitty conclusion, wizpig runs like a baby, and everyone has a party. BUT WHATS THIS! Wigpig is plotting something! And...now we get a space ship? THe shit? ....Well....that was....random

So, now we have the credits. The End? Fuck no. Like any rare game, we got some extra business to take care of.

BACK.....TO THE FUTURE FUN LAND!
________________________________-

Runner strangely chooses drumstick instead of TT, i need explanation. ...WTF THE LIGHTHOUSE IS A SPACESHIP LOLOLOLOL

This entire hub deserves my eternal wrath and hatred.

Spacedust Alley 1: Runner makes a spectacular showing.

Darkmoon Caverns 1: wall slam on lap 1, but by this point my forgiveness meter is high up.

Spaceport Alpha 1: Runner had a few ugly hits on this level, due to his time saving barrel roll. This level is right down there with Dino 2.

Runner gets confused and goes the wrong way and hits TT. Guess he felt kinda shitty after Spaceport.

Star City 1: So..Oh god.....No, forget everything I've said. THIS is the worst the runner has done. I don't blame him, this is a hard course, it's just....shit man....

And we go straight to Silver Coin challenge.

Alley of Dust from Space 2: I have nothing more to say on these levels, the very look of them nostalgically remind me of bad memories.

Caverns of Darkmoon 2: Hits a wall.

Death Star Copy Cat 2: Gets hit by a laser, and a moment's hesitation causes him to miss a coin.

Hollywood 2: Star City. Hollywood. Get it? No? Then i made another H.A.H.A. (Half Assed Humor Attempt). Runner gets his utter revenge on this course.

WIZP--, oops, no, runner leaves boss fight. Let me guess, "trophy race"?

DA TROPHY RACE 5: I really fucking hate you, rare developer.Takes 2 painful hits on race 1, same on race 2, race 3 he hits an obvious bomb, race 4 he hits a wall hard.

AND FINALLY, WIZPIG 2: Wizpig's a cheater, he gets a super rocket. Runner takes a hit on one pillar. Lazer room still scary as shit. OH GOD, HE MISSED THE LAST PROTECTION BALLOON!! AND HE MAKES IT THROUGH WITH OUT A HIT! WHAT A WIN!

Wizpig is sad, but then he gets blasted off into space like Team Rocket. And everything is right again, as we have....a Congo dance....Ugh. Because that's the image i need in my head at the end of this, a bunch of animals doin' a Congo dance. Then we see the hint of a sequel that never comes in the ending. Finally, the run is over. I remember why i didn't care too much for this game anymore.

Alright, below is the concluding statements and my decision, which is also known as the TLDR version.

TLDR Version: Some parts made me feel like this: Others made me feel like this:

There were some high points, some low points, some crap points, and some HOLY SHIT points. Can this be improved? Hell yes.

I have a few main problems with this run: Star City 1, Dino 2, Alpha 1, and some trophy race sections. However, this is balanced out by some awesome moments. Walrus was golden, Wizpig 2 was great, and i love watching Crescent Island get it's ass beat.

I have 5 main questions that i want answered: 1) What was the decision process behind the character choices? 2) Why is the short cut on Greenwood Village missed? 3) Do you think if you were more cautious on some plane segments, you would have a better time on some levels where your barrel roll boost lands you into a wall? 4) Compared to PAL, is NTSC Faster or Slower? (I ask cause i'm not exactly the most knowledgeable on regional version differences) 5) Anyone else have that weird A/V issue on Da Trophy Race 4?

I'm at a very weak accept here. There is room for improvement, but if what my intuition suggests could be correct, it would replace the PAL time, unless we just want to keep it for the region difference.

Allright, that's it. I've had by 2 cents on this run. And sorry for the long as hell response. Maybe i need to copy Yours Truly some to make it more entertaining? /shot

Runner's responses to the second verifier's questions

Quote:
1. The Character choices were the same as Mahrla's run. Even though Crunch is SLIGHTLY faster than bumper, crunch's handling is simply awful, which would create more running into walls. After I unlock Drumstick, that cock is a bit faster than bumper in the plane and car.

2. The shortcut in Greenwood Village is not even a shortcut. It seems like it would be, but I did some research. If you go to youtube and type in "Greenwood Village Mitani" The first result is a 3lap world record. It does not use the shortcut. Although watching it again, I missed a zipper in that course.

3. The plane absolutely hates me, let's put it that way. I could have been less cautious, most definitely. I personally think that I did not run into too many walls than I usually do. My goal is to get under 2:30. and if I get lucky, 2:25. I wanted to have this up on the site because I personally don't like it, but it is good overall. It will motivate me to get under 2:30 or 2:25 later. If rejecting is what it takes, than I suppose that would be ok as well.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Second verifier conclusion:

Quote:
Allright, tell the runner thanks from me.

I'm going to give the runner the benefit of the doubt here. I like to ask questions sometimes that i know the answer to, just to check there knowledge. Question 2 proves that he put in some research into this, and his character choice i can understand.

Once again, i'm caught in the damn neutral zone. I'll give him a weak accept, some parts of this run were simply golden. I encourage the runner to play some more and fix Dino boss 2, Star City, and Space port alpha. The time he wants is, without a doubt, in reach for him, so i hope to see it done really soon.

Whoops, I forgot to answer this guy's question. Hopefully it will get answered now. :-[

Quote:
Ok.. I watched the rest of the run, the syncing problem corrected itself by about 1:54:24, so it really only affected about a race and a half. Not too bad, I hope it gets fixed for the final version.

Also, I have one final question for the runner: there is one other unlockable character, the T.T. clock, and he is acquired by beating his Time Trial times. Is this part of the definition for the 100%? I think it should be, and is there any proof that this was accomplished within the run? I honestly can't remember right now if this could be done in just the regular races or if there was a separate time trial mode, but I know that he was definitely an unlockable character according to the Wiki. I ask only because there was no mention of this in the runner's comments, and I can't find any mention of this in the DKR threads. Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Video/Audio: Technical issue with the video starting around 1:51 (hour, 51 minutes). Video was speeding up in bursts for a couple minutes, getting really out of sync with the audio. Around 1:54 it started slowing down and got back in sync. Affected the Trophy Race's Greenwood Village, Haunted Forest, and the start of the the castle bit.

It could have just been a botched download on my end, since VLC was saying the avi was broken when I loaded it. If no other verifiers have a problem then there probably isn't one.

Other than that, audio was good, video made me go blind twice, but I'm guessing that's just verifier quality settings.

Cheating: None that I could see in-game.

Timing: I have no idea where to start/stop timing, and since my copy had some issues, I didn't time it. Sorry.

Gameplay:

Dino Domain: Nothing that I'd really be up in arms about, like the comments said, there were few mistakes in the races, and they were mostly minor. However, one thing that did leave me confused was that the runner didn't always commit to taking the best route/shortcut. In Ancient Lake and Fossil Canyon, there was at least one time each where he could have used the shortcut, but went around for some other reason which I couldn't grasp. Additionally, in Hot Top Volcano, he never really decided exactly where he'd barrel roll, so it was really inconsistent (and the cause of his one big mistake there).

However, even with the second boss race troubles, I don't have too much of a problem with the performance so far. I really like hearing the horn when he barely misses a boost balloon, and the pause from trying to skip the race intro cutscene was neat.

Snowflake Mountain: Again, no real complaints, other than inconsistent barrel rolls in Everfrost Peak (especially across the start line).

Sherbert Island: Not sure if I was just losing focus, but I really didn't notice anything to complain about here.

Dragon Forest: lolbackflip in Windmill Plains. No gameplay gripes with this world though, the runner even got more consistent with barrel rolls. I was super impressed with Greenwood Village.

Technical issue with the video starting around 1:51 (hour, 51 minutes). Video was speeding up in bursts for a couple minutes, getting really out of sync with the audio. Around 1:54 it started slowing down and got back in sync. Affected the Trophy Race's Greenwood Village, Haunted Forest, and the start of the the castle bit.

Future Funland: Ouch, that first Starport Alpha was a bit rough. And then Star City T_T

However, it's well over 2 hours into the run, so I'm fine with the time you lost there, and just about everything else in that world was marvelously.

Verdict: Accept, although I'm really hoping that I'm not being too lenient on it. I thought it was an impressive SS run, even though it had quite a lot of wall bumps and missed zips/balloons.

I talked with the runner the other day about his run, and this was the conversation.

Quote:
Runner: Hey, is there still a verifier that hasn't verified or something? Because it seems like its taking awhile, I mean, I'm fine with waiting, there's no rush. I'm just wondering =P.
Runner: My diddy kong racing run*
Mike U: well to be honest
Mike U: the reviews are mixed
Mike U: so I'm not sure what to do with your run
Mike U: everyone says the last section has a lot of mistakes
Mike U: and that your run is faster than the PAL run, but not by a lot
Runner: I'm perfectly fine with redoing it
Runner: To be honest, it was my first time ever doing a 100% of it
Mike U: okay then I guess I'll post the verification comments
Mike U: and you can redo it
Mike U: okay cool
Runner: So im sure in another 2-3 tries
Runner: I can get it down to atleast sub 2:15 and be more careful
Runner: *doh*
Runner: sub 2:30
Mike U: sub-2:15 would be even better Wink
Runner: Well, new game +/any % is sub 2:10
Runner: The TAS is i think 2:03, so that would be good
Runner: When you say "Decision" put, "Reject, but he's going to redo it" =P
Mike U: yep sounds good

Decision: Reject

Reason: The runner is going to redo his run. Smiley

As always, the run is available to download for a month. PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
Twinkle-Twinkle Lil' Star, har har!
Wait a minute... I don't see my comments. I was one of the verifiers, as well. My Outbox says that it sent them to you, Mike (I saved a copy just in case). Was it because there were too many comments from people or did the message system not get them to you by mistake?

It's all good. To answer the question in the really long comments, I too suffered from the A/V problem.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Maybe you didn't label your comments very well? I just searched the terms "Diddy Kong Racing" and "DKR". I didn't mean to omit your comments.
I haz Penguin
Thanks for the verifying guys, and I definitely will be doing this again. Just to clear things up for good...

1. The shortcuts
Many shortcuts you see in this game (Greenwood Village well, the Crescent Island ship, etc) Are more like traps. If you look at a individiual track speed run, they don't use them.

2. About the wall hits, I'm going to be more careful in my next runs. The flips were of my failing to try to do a barrel roll.

3. Getting T.T. is not a part of this run, because it is an additional character that you get outside of the main game/story mode. Also, it would just add on another really boring round of ALL of the tracks AGAIN, which would put the viewer to sleep after watching them be done 3 times already.

Again, thanks for all the criticism, it will definitely help me with my next run Smiley
Twinkle-Twinkle Lil' Star, har har!
Quote from mikwuyma:
Maybe you didn't label your comments very well? I just searched the terms "Diddy Kong Racing" and "DKR". I didn't mean to omit your comments.

It's all right. Come to think of it, I just sent them as a direct reply instead of saying they were for DKR. My bad lol =)

My comments pretty much dealt with what the others said anyway, so there's really no loss.

On the subject of the run, though, I can't wait to see how the runner does in his attempts to improve from last time. One thing I kept telling myself while watching was, "With just a little more practice, they should be able to easily improve this attempt." I wish good luck to you, MyNamesAustin2, in your future attempts. Just keep at it!
too many gyros
Guy's, This is MyNamesAustin2, I'm going to be using this account for this speedrun and everything else in SDA instead of the other one, because i don't want people to get this confused with my youtube/ustream and everything else. Wish me luck! Smiley
I'm just trying to impress you.
If I was a verifier and I knew I was watching your first attempt I would be predisposed to reject simply on that basis, especially considering there were apparently some big errors. Put in some good work and bring back something that you're confident wont get beat by someone else's first attempt. Good luck!
Generic Text
I was a verifier as well, but I had technical problems and didn't get around to finish watching. Tongue Though I will say my feelings were pretty much summed up by what was written here. That and I expressed confusion over why no one has bothered to run Adventure Two yet. >_>