List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Diablo2LoD.html

Soeren 'FraGFroG' Heinrich's Assassin run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I had already seen this on YouTube, so I just watched the LQ version for general notes.  Audio and Video are fine.  No cheating noted, though I would like it if runners would show stats at the intro to each segment.

I should start by saying that there is some notably sloppy play throughout the whole run.  Nothing to hold back acceptance, but enough that I think some of the more anal runners on the site wouldn't be happy about it.  Sometimes detours are taken for absent mobs, sometimes the runner picks up items just to stop and drop them later, sometimes the runner starts to leave a mob before killing it, etc.  The runner makes notes about losing time due to these slip ups, so I guess it's a case by case issue.

Luckily, a lot of these errors are outshadowed by the better planning and luck manipulation.  Leveling was pretty quick and fluid, use of the IAS dagger speeds things up early on, drops worked decently enough.

S1:  Getting Fire Blast before getting to the mob in Cold Plains is a good idea for early levels, but it requires slowly chasing quill rats.  Could have saved a second using the skill tree to equip FB, but that's minor.  It's also smart that the runner only takes on large mobs to maximise casting efficiency, but there are some times when stopping to kill four hunters would get good exp without too much time loss.  The Rak fight was eh, but this was a decently long segment.

S2:  Leveling was a little shaky, but the exp was pretty huge.  It would have been better to stop the segment here and level again in another segment for BoS, but the runner carries on anyways.  Underground Passage was smooth enough, but getting caught by a CE unique when you're using ranged attacks is kinda counter intuitive.  Leveling in DW for some reason, but the mob size makes it worthwhile.

S3:  I assume that the mob spawning around the shrine in CP means that it doesn't spawn above the house?  If so, why not manip this in S2 to save some running time?  Leveling in Tamoe is awkward and not as easily controlled as other places, making me wonder if it's worth it.  I really wish the runner had killed those rogues chasing him at the end.

S4:  Yep

S5:  Meh.  Kinda sloppy merchant work, but when you have to get three item drops proper, it's not so bad.  It's still bad though.

S6:  Countess run #1. Nothing to complain about.

S7:  Why are you attacking the Countess' minion with javs?

S8:  The runner says that the tower has the best exp/time ratio, and I don't care to challenge that, so whatever.  The drops here are good for money, so good on ya.  The curse at the end was pretty shitty, though.

S9:  Gogo WoF.  Assassins in need of mana sound like bitches in German, by the by.

S10: Giada DeLaurentis is more entertaining that this segment, sorry.  Andariel should have been included here, since she gets owned so much by WoF.

S11: Yeah, Andy gets owned by WoF really quickly.  Good work getting the drop, but everything between killing Andy and getting to A2 takes way too long.

S12: Shopping.  Meh.

S13: More shopping.

S14: Running.  Meh.  The whole stat point thing could have been handled faster if done earlier.  Good exp and running around in general.  The cube room could have used some work.

S15: Not using stats when you get them always makes me angsty.  Whatever the assassin said when she entered the CVT sounded hilarious.  I like how the runner almost forgot the amulet.

S16: ML was pretty straightforward.  Switching from WoF to FB and back was great for the tight quarters.  Some time lost trying to kill at the end, though.

S17: This totally didn't need to be it's own segment.  The time it would take to run from Drognan to the palace is faster than from the spawn to the palace, and getting through the cellar/harem is the easiest part of the whole run.

S18: Oh hey, the easiest and quickest progression segment.

S19: Summoner got wrecked in two traps.  I don't get why dense mobs here are skipped when less exp-laden mobs are detoured for in 18.

S20: I'm glad the runner took the downtime to finally fill the belt with potions.  I wonder why a trapper would need this much vitality.  Duriel was faster than I had expected.

S21: My only complaint is that killing Szark's mob probably wasn't worth the effort put in.

S22: I'm glad someone else thinks that the Gidbinn is worth getting.  Alien is on AMC right now so fuck yeah.  The TP at the end of this is sketchy, but it saves time so whatever.

S23: Level 20 this early is great.  It does mean that there was some excessive levels earlier, though.  All those detours for bosspacks now seems useless, since all exp past 20 is wasted time.  It must be odd to actively ignore all mobs now.  Could have manipulated something nice off of Riftwing (Bloodfist or Tarnhelm) by segmenting at the WP.  Food for thought.

S24: God damn that's a nice ring.

S25: Why the TP after the Council died?  Meph dies quickly enough and the drops were worth some cash, so I have no problems here.  Could have been a better drop, though.

S26: Sell sell buy buy.

S27: Gamble gamble gamble die.

S28: Run run run avoid.  How much time does it take to kill Izual?  Doing it improves your WoF by 16% (not doing it puts you at 86% efficacy), and you kill a lot in A4/A5.  That is to say, does it take more than 16% of the Chaos+Ancients+Throne+Baal killing times?  Probably should have segmented at the CoD WP, but the luck with the River of Fire was great.

S29: Very ballsy Chaos.  Diablo fight could have been faster with either a Fire Shrine, a Skill Shrine, or usage of FB in between WoF sets.

S30: Don't think this needed its own segment.  S31 better be flawless otherwise.

S31: Lots of running. A few minor obstacles here and there.  The alien just busted out of that guys chest and it's totally more entertaining than this segment.  Also, Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat is pretty tasty: I don't normally expect something fruity in the finish of an ale, so it's a nice surprise.

S32: Boring running segment followed by a cool and pretty ingenious method of handling the Ancients.  Even with the battle of attrition here, I still think this build doesn't need so much vitality.

S33: Really great map for WSK.  Throneroom is basically what we saw in bimanc's run, with a little variation for speed.  suga's death parking method aside, there isn't much to say here.  Once again, FB could be used to supplement the damage being done, but that's pretty trivial.  Baal dies and the run ends.

All in all, it's an obvious accept.  I think that someone will improve upon this eventually, but for now this is a great improvement on the D2 runs.  I didn't think a non-sorc build could break an hour, so this was doubly impressive.  I'd venture to say 2-4 minutes can be shaved in total, but that's about it.  Good job FraGFroG!

Quote:
This is one of the fastest D2 runs I've ever seen. The video quality is great and sounds alright. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be accepted.

Accept!

Quote:
There were no issues with audio, video, syncing, or cheating.

This is a fantastic improvement on any assassin run I have seen before. Its blazing fast, and the runner doesn't stop long for anything unnecessary. Adjustments to inventory are made on the fly or during moments when nothing else is going on. There's just not much bad to say, and pretty much everything is highly optimized.

Suggestion: Accept

I think the verifier below meant Marsh's old run, not the current run that's up.

Quote:
just watched through the assassin run. didn't detected any cheating, or any audio/video problems.

The overall quality of play is very high. the run shows a great amount of planning and forethought, and an insane amount of luck manipulation.

Also being less than half the length of the previous run doesn't hurt. Accept.

Quote:
Cheating/Rule Breaking
Nothing in sight

Audio-Video-Symmetry
Zero Mistakes; quality just as if I would play it live

Audio
Huge volume-difference between everything before segment 12 and everything from segment 12 on (the 2nd part of this run is much louder)

Video
Big lag at about 15:52 to 15:57 (but not because of bad video quality but because of slow PC...maybe for the next run, he should switch to 2D, if he haven't done it yet)

Overall
Pretty nice and entertaining run with some minor mistakes and an astonishing time

Gameplay
Pro:
- Great potion management
- Amazing ancients fight
- Nice Baal glitching to stick him
- Really neat and fast levelling
- Excellent Act 5 running
- Neat use of the Baal-wave-glitch without death

Contra:
- Trying to revive mercenary, when he was still alive, close to the Diablo fight  (but the nice
  Diablo fight smoothed that away ^^)
- Messed up the Andariel loot big time
- Messed up the Stealth-glitch

Grade of Entertainment
- Again: ANCIENTS!!!! o0 Thrilling!
- Nice crowd pulling with multiple kill (it's just good to see about 10 enemies killed with one hit ^^)
- The inventory mistake after the Andariel fight was, when looking at the gameplay, horrible; but when you regard the degree of entertainment, it’s a good scene (I had to giggle and was suffering with him :D)
- Of course, boss fights are always pretty boring because of length at low level, but here, especially the Mephisto an Diablo fights were quite entertaining, because of the smooth attack-evading
- Interesting levelling. Levelling while going forward instead of redoing the same things all the time are just more fun to watch
- Interesting countess strategy (three instead of two runs and a freaking amazing drop luck)

Accepted!

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's the first sub-hour D2 run.
Thread title:  
I am afraid no ones riding nothing!!!
Congrats on getting this accepted.
I haven't watched it yet but i suspect it's going to be mind blowing.
In response to the last verifier:

You can't use fraps to record when playing D2 in 2D mode.  It runs at maybe 7 fps the entire time.
The Dork Knight himself.
From what I remember D2 was never very optimized in the graphics department. Even playing the game with a GeForce 8800GTX and a quad core proc the game will have severe lag in heavy firefights. What's better is you can get games to desync on lan running on gigabit.
Quote from tgdn32:
In response to the last verifier:

You can't use fraps to record when playing D2 in 2D mode.  It runs at maybe 7 fps the entire time.

Did you try that with fraps 2.9.9 or later? In this version they fixed recording issues with older DirectDraw games (which is probably what Diablo 2 uses in 2D mode).
Now, this run I realize is back in 2009, but I knew this site for not long. I came around and found my way to this video.
Two things I want to address:

Firstly, I think it's too much of a coincidence that this player has found his way to his objectives continuously without error, that the maps and area entries (like the maggot lair, stony tomb, etc) as well as finding his way to waypoints without error, and as well as finding his way to key items to finishing each act (like the staff of kings) without leading to a dead-end.

Secondly, the gamble. Upon entry to act 4, miraculously gambled for an amulet that gave +1 to traps, in which this player has specialized his assassin into.

What I'm leading to is I believe there has been a modification to the game's files in terms of the character's saved progression which is the ".key" and ".d2s" files, and map discovery which are the ".map" ".map0" ".map1" ".map2" ".map3" ".map4" files that record the areas in which you discovered. (found in the "C:\..\Diablo II\Save" folder) which can be easily be cut, copied, and pasted to different directories. I'd believe my eyes if there weren't so many "Save And Exit"s otherwise.

Again, the miraculous coincidences are too unreal, and I am throwing it out there what I believe.
I suspect that the "miraculous coincidences" were instead repeated attempts at a given segment in order to manipulate drops/luck based events, if the given event(s) didnt happen, he could just reset and try again from his last save. Luck manipulation is one of many  reasons to segment a run.

if you read his run comments, you will see that he made a couple segments specifically in order to manipulate the amulet.

Quote:
25th segment: The Council and Mephisto were killed together here, because the wp was off track. I had two requirements for this segment. Max speed (only reached with skill-shrine at Mephisto) and a drop worth loads of money from him so I can gamble a +1 trap-amulet in act 4. First I planned on manipulating tarnhelmet from him but the time variance on killing the Council/Mephisto was just too much, so I dropped that plan and decided to get that +1 amulet from Jamella instead which only needed a good money-output combined with good speed here and had almost the same result as a tarnhelmet.

Segment 26 and 27: Just selling stuff, buying potions and gambling that +1 amulet here. I lost a second just looking at that awesome amulet for too long, but that's ok for this great result (+1 trap-amulets are quite rare).

However, I have never actually played Diablo II, nor have I even watched this run, so I don't really know what's going on here.
Quote from Tranquilite:
I suspect that the "miraculous coincidences" were instead repeated attempts at a given segment in order to manipulate drops/luck based events, if the given event(s) didnt happen, he could just reset and try again from his last save. Luck manipulation is one of many  reasons to segment a run.

if you read his run comments, you will see that he made a couple segments specifically in order to manipulate the amulet.

Quote:
25th segment: The Council and Mephisto were killed together here, because the wp was off track. I had two requirements for this segment. Max speed (only reached with skill-shrine at Mephisto) and a drop worth loads of money from him so I can gamble a +1 trap-amulet in act 4. First I planned on manipulating tarnhelmet from him but the time variance on killing the Council/Mephisto was just too much, so I dropped that plan and decided to get that +1 amulet from Jamella instead which only needed a good money-output combined with good speed here and had almost the same result as a tarnhelmet.

Segment 26 and 27: Just selling stuff, buying potions and gambling that +1 amulet here. I lost a second just looking at that awesome amulet for too long, but that's ok for this great result (+1 trap-amulets are quite rare).

However, I have never actually played Diablo II, nor have I even watched this run, so I don't really know what's going on here.

"Save And Exit" means what it says. If I am correct, I believe it's a violation to "Game modification: Removing or altering a game's internal files or hardware is forbidden." written in the Rules under the "BANNED CHEATS/HACKS".
ChickenB0h BOH! :D
replacing save files feels ok for me, and i guess it was only thing done here, and nothing more, but still i could be wrong...
Good question; save files aren't internal files.  Runners should have the game save the progress they want it to save.
Exoray
Plutoris: this is a segmented run and it seems you have missed the concept of these. Segmented means that a runner retries a part until he/she feels it is fast enough and then moves on to the next segment. The only thing the runner has done here is simply backing up and restoring his save file since this is neccessary in order to be able to segment in this game.
No manipulation to the save files has been made so they do not fallunder the clause of file modification.
Backing up save files != editing save files. Nothing was removed and nothing was altered here.
Edit history:
Zealie: 2011-02-03 08:49:57 am
I think the fact that it's all attached to one video and not explicitly enough mentioned that each segment was done in multiple tries threw him of. There are actually quite some people who think some segmented runs (where the vid was joined together) are done in one go. At least I see people ever so often say stuff about such runs where they clearly didn't get it was segmented. *makes me sad panda*

As for further explanation (just realizing I'm going to repeat what moooh said):

Every time you see him 'save & exit'. He goes to his 'save'  folder backs up the file. And goes try a new segment (like 'manipulating' the +1 amu.) If it fails he saves & exit and then copies his old backup file over the new one making it go 'back in time' as it were.

This is also how he knew where to go.

[edit] maybe if it were mentioned in the beginning of the video and each segment was numbered confusion could be minimized... Hmmm that would probably also mean more work to be done when making such file... ah well, it's not the end of the world for me ^^
That's what speedrun notes are for. The videos themselves are just for gameplay.
sda loyalist
There was an argument last time about whether this style of segmentation was allowed or not. Mike said it was, so it is. End of story.
This world is all we have,cherish it
I would like to add that maps are farmed before starting a d2 run which is why he knew where to go all the time. Using a character editor you can reveal the maps and delete/remake the character if they arent favorable.
Balls jerky
Welcome to running Diablo folks. We're complaing about a run that's two years old here.
Well, it was only 1 person who misunderstood the rules/mechanics of how diablo speedrunning worked.
And no idea why we are still posting here..... including me.
The Gaming Lawyer
Quote from Zealie:
Well, it was only 1 person who misunderstood the rules/mechanics of how diablo speedrunning worked.
And no idea why we are still posting here..... including me.

Well, I learned something from reading this thread today Smiley  So...that's at least something...