Smiley
Sad
123 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
So, I need a hobby for the next few months.  A 100% run appeals to me, and I want to do it right.  The any% run's are pretty out of date, and although the recent 100% is epic in all respects, I feel I can add to it, possibly improve. 

I shoved all the non-important facts in this, so it doesn't spam the page.

The Assassin appeals to me for several reasons:
1. Speed:  She's fast, whether it be killing or traveling.  At level 6 she gains a huge speed boost.  At level 12 she gain's a huge killing speed boost.  The only class that comes close to the assassin would be the sorceress, who gains fireball/lightning at level 12, and teleport at level 18.  Wake of fire is arguably better (faster) than both those spells in the normal difficulty, and burst of speed comes much earlier and is possibly better until the sorceress gets a high FCR.
2. Traps:  Very powerful in normal and gives her the ability to fire and forget.  Actually, lol, traps don't appeal to me near as much as martial arts, which is why I'll probably only be using them in normal.  If you've ever been on BNet and watched a level 80 or so assassin with bad gear try and kill monsters with her traps in hell, you probably thought to yourself, "i'm never making one of those things" because they can't kill very well at all.  If I were to focus on traps, I would be a level 55 assassin try to kill things with low gear in hell, and that would take years.
3. Martial Arts: This is the main reason I want to do this.  It opens up so many possibilities and is extremely efficient at killing very quickly.  I'll go into detail later.
4. FUN... the assassin is fun to play.

For those who don't really understand, or are skeptical of how martial arts will work in hell, ill give a brief overview.  Basically you have 2 type of attacks; attacks that charge, and attacks that release the charges.  Each time you hit a target with a charge attack, you gain a charge, which looks like a spinning orb around the assassin.  You can have 3 charges for each type of attack, and can have them all active at once (cold damage, fire damage, lightning damage, immense physical damage, life/mana steal) and all it takes is a normal attack or a finishing move to release the charges. 

The Arreat Summit say's this:
Intrinsic to the Assassin's arsenal of abilities is her incredible prowess in the mysterious Martial Arts style of the Viz-Jaq'taar. Martial Arts skills come in two forms, Charge-up Skills and Finishing Moves. A Charge-up Skill is an attack that adds a "charge" for each successive hit within a short time frame. While each Charge-up attack deals normal damage, the charges continue to accumulate until triggered or until the time limit runs out. To trigger the accumulated charges, strike a monster with either a normal attack or one of the Finishing Moves. A Finishing Move doesn't just trigger the release of the accumulated charges-it also adds a powerful effect of its own. Furthermore, by building up a succession of different Charge-up Skills, Assassins can generate a potent combination of effects. Assassins are specially trained in the use of exotic Claw-class weaponry, and some of their skills can be used only when armed with these weapons.

Now the reason it will work in hell as a level 55, cheaply clad assassin, is because of 5 things.  The first thing is that although I'll be using a cheaply clad assassin, she'll be an optimally, cheaply clad assassin...As in, lots of AR, block, resist, speed, and enough damage (notice health isn't in there :'(). 
Secondly is tiger strike.  Tiger strike will allow me to take my physical damage and add 1440% more damage to it, and release it into a single target, or turn it into fire damage and release it in a decently large AoE damage in front of me.  It can also be used to give me full health and mana with a couple charges of cobra strike (IIRC).
Thirdly is Phoenix strike.  Phoenix strike can either release a powerful lightning charge, a powerful ice charge, or a powerful fire charge. The beauty of it is I have the option of choosing which element to use by the number of charges I put into it.  This means that I get 3 elemental damage abilities by only having to put points in a single skill. (I might use claws of thunder instead, but I'm not sure)

Now you're probably thinking this is great and all, but the fact remains that I can't just run up and attack a hell minion without being torn asunder in seconds.  Well this is because you haven't read reason 4 or 5 yet.

Fourthly, the assassin has an ability called cloak of shadows.  Basically I cast it on a group of anything really, and they become blind.  Only one or two of them will bother to attack me, while the rest will run around like a bunch of spaz's.  There are a couple problems with this ability, but they can be pretty minimal with enough skill, and in an optimum speed run, you probably won't notice them, because the mistakes won't make it into the run.
Fifthly is mind blast.  All I need to do is spam this ability on a group of enemies that have cloak of shadow cast on them (not completely necessary) and about 30% of the group will start attacking the other 70% of the group.  At this point I dragon flight in with my holy freeze merc and my shadow warrior, get pheonix strike, tiger strike, and cobra strike charged up, and dragon tail them (or a normal attack) to annihilate the mob.  This takes seconds.

At level 20, tiger strike does +1440% more physical damage, and with dragon tail that extra 1440% gets turned into aoe fire damage.  Pheonix strike can add some heavy cold or lightning damage, which I'll probably having to be doing a lot in hell, while cobra strike is a full health + mana heal at higher levels.

Okay before I role my map can I get a few opinions on how it should be rolled.  Here is my current plan for act 1.  I want it to be done right, so tell me if you think my ideas are wrong, or if there are better options.  Keep in mind I plan to abuse save+exit. 

I'm going to manipulate an XP shrine, a stamina potion, a few mana potions and run straight to cold plains, while getting level 2 on the way.
The map I want to roll will have the bishibosh group on the way to stony field.  I'll spam firebomb on the group getting 1.5~ levels or so and then run to stony field WP and save/exit.
In stony field I want 2 shrines, one of them being near rakanishu.  So I'll get an XP shrine and go to the mass around rakanishu and pull mobs for 10 seconds or so and abuse a poison shrine.  Save/exit and do this again and then run to underground--->dark wood, tree(maybe I should manipulate a poison shrine here?), and lastly black marsh WP.  Then I'll trist, make a lot of gold, and potion mass (hopefully I'll around level 8 ).  Game time should still be extremely low at this point.
Next segment is running/killing on the way to outer cloister while manipulating a few unique/champion packs in tamoe highland and outer cloister.  The rest is basically just running/killing on the way to Andy, and getting to 12.  After is den with wake of fire, bloodraven, and getting ith el eth from countess to make a malice, which I won't be able to use till level 15.

Any thoughts or opinions before I role such a map?

And yes, I will go through with this whole run.
Thread title:  
I'm already over the whole 'poison shrine' idea...  level 1 firebomb is too good.  Maybe with another character it would prove beneficial, but 1 firebomb '1 hit' kills fallen, and 2-3 hit kills carvers.  The assassin at level 3 can just normal attack rakanishu to death because of her high starting stats.  It feels faster to just kill them where they are then try to round them up.  From the 3 minutes of game time I have messed around with in different maps, level 5 takes 1 xp shrine, 1 bishibosh mob kill, and 1 rakanishu mob kill, all in one segment.  I'm trying to manipulate them closer.
I want off the ride....
straight up and out. I think that martial arts might be the way to go in hell; but you can manip some gear and such, so... You should really take that into thoughts. I think that traps are also a strong way to go.

I went on to a skill calc and just trying to outline going to hit level 60 as an assasin and well.. There seems to be a big mix-match of skills. Seems like nothing can get "strong" But Tiger strike..
Phoenix Strike sucks straight out flat. It doesn't get strong bonus as Tiger Strike mainly accents the physical damage boost. it doesn't boost the power of the individual Phoenix abilities. It works with Dragon tail cause its a %'age fire damage. Your really just kind working off tiger strike.. Then I'm going to try to suggest single katar + shield build.
My bro and I messed around a lot with assasins, and found that yeah Tiger strike is bread and butter win in hell, but so are traps.

So don't throw traps out, for the most part of... Your tool box will be weak if you go a full 20 in tiger strike. Something like that needs other things to work off of. Mind blast is going to be your key to survival in hell. I also suggest Fade. It solves any resistance problems you might not be able to fully solve. And Hey! It has DR %'age in it.
Lay waste to everything...but I still love SDA!
OK i lost the long post i wrote, so just a few things.

Good luck for the run.

At a relatively low level, without decent gear, the trapper is always better. Your character is a melee attacker, so it is gear dependant. The trapper can be good without godly items.

For tiger strike, i suggest a Bartuc, i think it can be dropped by normal Baal.

Phoenix is not that good you think. The damage is not really high even with synergies, it's only a very good support skill, which has three different elemental attacks. The chaos ice bolt is good for crowd control (mind blast a pack then chaos ice bolt, and noone can attack you).

My main problem with this plan is that you want to kill fast with a low level melee character in hell. First, enemies have resistances and block, so you won't be that succesful with tiger+dragon tail.
Plus, you won't be able to hit enemies, because your level will be much lower than the enemies.

About your a1 plan:

You think right, get an xp shrine on blood moor, get the first level, but then kill the first random boss pack on cold plains. You'll be lvl 3, then run to rakanishu, kill him -> lvl 4. After that you can run raka for xp, and don't have to use poison shrines at all. And don't worry about normal enemies on stony field. They give very small xp compared to raka.

I'd suggest some early countess runs for runes, you can get a full level and the runes in two minutes, but you need a decent damage source (fire blast for minions and normal hit for Countess).

What would be your character build? How will you spend your points (skill and stats), and what gear you want to use throughout the run?
I think a death sentry is a must, and put one point to shadow master and mind blast, too. That's 5+9 points, so you'll probably have 50+ points to martial arts. Keep in mind that you need a high dex for the assassin weapons, but you get more damage from strength (damn 1.10), so you don't have too many points to vita.
Joke of all trades
maybe it would be benificial to get 1 point in death sentry, as the corpse explosion could really speed up taking out mobs and the damage doesn't get better with more levels just range so with some "skill" it could prove very effective, in places like nightmare baal runs, or chaos sanctuary.

relly looking forward to this, will you be uploading your progrss to you tube, that would be awesome
Just remember the ultimate key to those low level leveling segments - the Javelin. On /players 1 it will destroy most of Stony Field.

Another thing - have you considered using Black for a boss killing weapon? With the IAS from BoS you could probably have a one-point wonder in Dragon Talon. Oh, and of course remember Stealth and Zephyr for run speed, especially since you're doing the barb quest anyways.
Okay thanks for input, it gladdens me people are interested.  If you didn't click the 'spoiler' in my first post, that illuminates the majority of it.

So, my build was gonna be something like 10 wake of fire, 20 tiger strike, 20 pheonix strike (this one was still completely open.. i know claws of thunder has pretty high damage), but after reading some comments and thinking about it more, this is the plan:

6 points in fire blast.  The reason I'm getting 6 points in fire blast is because every 3 points gives death sentry another attack.  6 points will take their number of attacks from 5, to 7.  6 points will also help leveling in the beginning due to higher damage, and its mana increase is extremely low(1 point per 10 levels).  And lastly, it will make my wake of fire do more damage, which I plan to almost use solely in normal.

The rest of my points on the way to level 12 I plan to use in prerequisite's for the 3 trees and spillover the rest into Burst of speed.

At 20~ I'm probably going to stop putting points into wake of fire and start focus'ing on tiger strike + dragon tail.

I'll pick up Death Sentry, Shadow Master(or warrior?), psychic blast, and dragon flight when I can get them.

I need cobra strike level 1 for mana/life steal, and dragon tail AT LEAST level 5, because its twice as much damage as level 1. 

This still leaves left over points for later in the game if my build is
6 fireblast
8-10 in wake of fire
3 preq's
1 Death Sentry

= 19~ points

Burst of speed 5-10
1 point in 8 different abilities, maybe more into shadow warrior (I really don't want to use fade)

= 15~ points

20 tiger strike
1 dragon talon, 1 dragon claw
5 dragon talon
1 dragon flight

= 28~ points

19+15+28 = 62

I'll have 71 total skill points at level 60.  So maybe I'll put the rest into shadow warrior or claw mastery.  Of course I haven't totally determined the order that I'm gonna get all these skills yet.  I can roughly choose now, but I think it would be better to choose in the near future of when I'm going to put the skill point in.

-------------------------------------------

As far as stats go, I'm going to mass a lot of dex.  The plan is to not get hit a lot, and to have a very high block will help immensely.  At a lower level I'm going to need the extra mounds of AR to be able to take down the first few enemies so Death Sentry can help work its magic.  I'll probably get a lot into strength so I can use heavier armors, probably have 100 points or higher in the end.  The rest will be into Vita, naturally.  I don't plan on putting any points into energy for a few reasons.  1 reason is firebomb isn't mana costly, and all I need to do is level up/find a mana potion to be cured of this problem.  Secondly is I'll really be massing potions...  Thirdly is in hell I'll be walking on the edge of a knife as it is, and those 5,10,15,20 points into energy will be needed elsewhere.

For gear I plan to use the claw+shield combo.  I chose shield over dual claw because: it's a little faster and easier to hit max attack speed than dual claw.  It will give me extra armor.  It will give me good block without 15 points in weapon block.  The stats the a shield provide are usually pretty good, and an extra claw will hardly give me any more damage.

I want to have a malice by the time I fight duriel, which is ith el eth in a 3os weapon (claw). Stats in spoiler:
+33% Enhanced Damage
+9 To Maximum Damage
100% Chance Of Open Wounds
-25% Target Defense
-100 To Monster Defense Per Hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+50 To Attack Rating
Drain Life -5

100% open wounds/AR/-def/damage is why I want this.
I also plan on rolling a shael in normal forge so I can make a Rhyme, which gives really good block, decent resists, MF and GF, and more.
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
40% Faster Block Rate
All Resistances +25
Regenerate Mana 15%
Cannot Be Frozen
50% Extra Gold From Monsters
25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

From this point on I'll have to research the luck of the draw from bosses.

To your responses:

@RaneofSOTN: The reason I don't want to use fade is because I don't plan on getting hit.  With burst of speed, mind blast, and cloak of shadows, getting hit becomes rather difficult.  And hey, look at it like this.  I will get hit, probably less often than you think, but if they hit me too hard, I'll just do it again.  BoS is extremely fast and has too many benefits to make me want to use fade instead.

@bimanc: I won't make a trapper because 1, even with 40-50 points spent in lightning sentry/bonus's, I kill pretty horribly and slow and only non-light immunes in hell.  I made a test character and it just doesn't seem feasible for a speed run in the harder difficulties. Of course it will be better with bad gear, but I won't exactly have 'bad' gear.  I'll have 'cheap' gear, which is different. 

Maybe I'll do some countess runs, but if I don't get the best tower, I'll probably keep it to one run.  XP is always higher later. 
And I'll start worrying about irrationally-low-drop-rate-items from bosses later.

@LeWoVoc: I might want to use black, but finding an IO rune doesn't interest me dearly, because in a martial artist's build, killing bosses won't be the biggest problem.

-----

I'm probably missing something but I'm tired of typing.
If you don't already need a different rune from the NM hellforge, you could get the Io rune from there. The crushing blow would definitely help on NM Diablo/Baal and all the Hell Bosses.
Ya I guess I could, its just that black isn't a claw.. its got to be a slow weapon (club/hammer/mace)
Yikes I have a headache trying to learn avisynth scripting and MeGUI..  well mostly just avisynth.
Lay waste to everything...but I still love SDA!
Shadotwist, i don't think you should worry about items like Malice on normal difficulty. With that build, you can finish a 1-4 as a trapper, and maybe speed up Baal with bleeding and stuff.
Don't put so many points to burst, usually 3 is enough, but 5 is the maximum.
I'd suggest shadow master instead of warrior, later in the game it is more useful and durable.

Quote from Shadotwist:
@bimanc: I won't make a trapper

I'm happy to hear it, because i want to do that myself.  8)
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
This is an example of avisynth:

a = AVISource( "Q:/1.avi" )
b = AVISource( "Q:/2.avi" )
c = AVISource( "Q:/3.avi" )
d = AVISource( "Q:/4.avi" )
e = AVISource( "Q:/5.avi" )
f = AVISource( "Q:/6.avi" )
g = AVISource( "Q:/7.avi" )
h = AVISource( "Q:/8.avi" )
i = AVISource( "Q:/9.avi" )
j = AVISource( "Q:/10.avi" )
k = AVISource( "Q:/11.avi" )
l = AVISource( "Q:/12.avi" )
m = AVISource( "Q:/13.avi" )
AlignedSplice(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m)
Trim(130520,154075)
ConvertToYV12()

You can preview by removing the last line and loading the avs on VirtualDub.
Here I load 13 avis, then merge them together with AlignedSplice, then extract a subsegment of that resulting video with Trim (using the frame numbers from VirtualDub (bottom of window), so my final video will be 154075-130520 = 23555 frames long = 6 minutes and some). I don't think you need anything else for editing diablo 2 videos.
[+--oo] In control since '86
There's lots here to discuss, yet sadly I know little about creating effective Assassins even when they're twinked to the gills...  Undecided  That said, I'll try my best to cover what I think is important here:

YES to Death Sentry, of course.  I know you're spreading yourself pretty thin with skill points, but I think that having greater range is important here.  It's great if you put six points into Fire Blast for the extra two shots, but if everything will die after four (a random guess due to monster DR/FireRes) it seems a little unnecessary.  Also, if the range is small, there will be some enemies that won't get hit and those extra blasts will go to waste.  I'd surmise that for every mob you fight, you'd probably drop two DS'es on either side of the mob for speedy kills, and if so I don't know if there's any benefit to getting fourteen blasts over ten.  Extra range, however, would assure that if the mob moves some you'd not have to lure them back into DS range.  I'm just thinking out loud here, so anyone, please refute me. 

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but I'd still say that going 'pure' trap isn't a horribe idea still.  Yes, without full synergies it won't be an uber killer.  BUT, if you take the time to manupulate two +3 Assy, +Trap, or +LS [whatever claw] of quickness from Anya (can one shop these in NM? Nuts, I'm certain I got mine in Hell so I don't know...  still, something like these) plus some runes/uniques for more skill boosts she could still be a strong killer.  All you really need is one or two corpses and then Death Sentry will do its job.  Besides, with BoS, MB, and CoS, how many LIs will you have to kill?  On the flipside, I'd try to look very hard for an online calculator that will tell you how much AR you'll need to be able to physically hit stuff in Hell at such a low clevel.  Clvl vs mlvl is factored in, so you can't even count on your merc to reliably create the first corpse for you.  Tiger Strike/Dragon Flight could work, but I've never used them in tandem, let alone a level55 character in Hell.

So I just did some skill calculation.  If you enter Hell at clvl55, you'll have about 65 skill points to play with.  Having completely ignored the MA tree (may be unwise since Dragon Flight might be really nice to have) and the SM, I came up with this VERY rough sketch:

Shadow Disciplines
BoS:5 and All utility skills: Total of 9 skill points

Traps
7 Wake of Fire (avg. 20 damage per wave)
20 Lightning Sentry
7 Charged Bolt Sentry
20 Death Sentry
plus prereqs

With the synergies and only +5 to trap skills from gear, each LS bolt would average ~1,000 damage by the time you hit Hell.  That's 10,000 damage per trap, and 50k with a full set.  ...Even after inate LitRes, that sounds pretty powerful to me.  An important question is how many LIs spawn that are necessary to kill for 100%.

Of course, this is a very bare bones build that skimps in some places (WoF, SM, DF, maybe Weapon Block).  Plus, if you drop 5xLS + 2xDS, that's 140 mana per set.  You'd probably have to manipulate a few pieces of +mana gear (wyrm's rings/ammy, Frostburns; Silkweave's +5MPK probably don't help since traps are technically minions).  And worse, it doesn't leave many quick-kill options until clvl12.  Still, I think it's a viable setup. 

...And I could be totally wrong.  I do that a lot.  That's why I spam off topic stuff at the diii.net forums and don't talk too much about the game itself.  Tongue

No matter what, good luck; I'll be checking in on your project often!
I want off the ride....
Quote from Shadotwist:
@RaneofSOTN: The reason I don't want to use fade is because I don't plan on getting hit.  With burst of speed, mind blast, and cloak of shadows, getting hit becomes rather difficult.  And hey, look at it like this.  I will get hit, probably less often than you think, but if they hit me too hard, I'll just do it again.  BoS is extremely fast and has too many benefits to make me want to use fade instead.

Well i'm sorry to say, but melee in hell WILL GET HIT. Once, twice, maybe three times.. but you will get hit; and you will curse thed ay you don't have fade. maybe its just some fireball put to your face as you teleport, or maybe its just some lucky swing. But melee in hell; I highly RECOMMEND FADE if your low level. Sure it cancels BoS, but when you'd use it... YOu'd be killing and thus not needing BoS. 1 point will make your boss kills that much easier.. I assure you.
Quote from Shadotwist:
Ya I guess I could, its just that black isn't a claw.. its got to be a slow weapon (club/hammer/mace)

True, but I still think that Crushing Blow would make boss fights significantly faster. When the CB does it's work then you can switch back to the claw to finish it off. I guess it would also depend on whether you would have enough AR with the club/hammer/mace you put it on.

If you could manipulate a Guillames/Rattlecage/Goblin Toe to maximize your CB, i think that would be good too (well two of them anyway, all three + Black would be overkill).
Skratman's logic is pounding in my brain.  At 58 it is rather difficult to hit a venom lord with a hero edited assassin.. With 2 angelic rings + ammy, I sure would have a lot of attack rating, but my physical damage would be at most 200~300 damage.  That's only 3-4k physical damage with tiger strike, which will be turned into fire damage.  10k lightning damage every second is sounding more and more appealing than 3k fire damage every 4 seconds.

Lightning sentries aren't quite as bad as I tried to make them out to be, but all that matters is once a few targets are dead, death sentries make everything on the screen explode.  I think I might go with traps then..  I've had a sudden change in attitude after trying to kill venom lords in hell with a 58 physical attacker.

I still want dragon flight though, no question about that.  It only takes 3 points of prerequisite's, and I might be able to get one on a claw.  If I'm going to go more trap oriented, I probably should go dual claw for extra +skill's... I won't need a shield as badly because of lack of up-close fighting.  Also i'll be able to make use of blocking while running (which I'll be doing a lot of), and blocking spells.  This doesn't sound as fun, but trying to hit that venom lord was very much not fun.

Also this means I'm probably going to go charge bolt sentry instead of Wake of fire.

So I'm thinking of this now.
Level-
1:Fireblast
2:claw mastery
3:save
4:save
5:save
6:Shockweb/BoS
7:Shockweb/BoS
8:Shockweb/BoS
9:BoS
10:BoS
11:save
12:Charge Bolt Sentry/Weapon Block
13-->24:Charge bolt sentry with one in fade/CoS/ShadowWarrior

Thats the plan for now...  Had a pretty epic first segment to.  4 levels in under 2.5 minutes. It had its sloppy parts though.. I failed to pick up rakinishu's drop's, I fumbled with a champion pack that I could have dropped 10 seconds or so on, and I put my points into dex/fireblast.
Just call me the cynicism machine
How do you plan to deal with Achmel the Cursed and mobs that are PI/FI?
I used to be athiest until I realized I was God.
Quote from Zurreco:
How do you plan to deal with Achmel the Cursed and mobs that are PI/FI?

AFAICT, this build has three main sources of damage: lightning, fire, and physical. That should suffice assuming the physical damage can compare. Death sentry's corpse explosions are 50% physical I believe.

Then again, I don't know the assassin very well at all.

My biggest concern is hell ancients (big surprise). Madawac has 50 FR, 70 CR, and 100 LR - and there won't be any corpse to a-splode.
Just call me the cynicism machine
I would assume that Shadow Warrior + Assassin + lots of mana potions would be able to handle any non-FR Ancients, and then full physical with CoS will be able to cheese the remainder.

My problem with Achmel is that he and his Horadrim Ancients are Magic Immune.  That means that you will have to hope that you can kill the skeleton minions (can't use Holy Freeze and Mind Blast will make them attack eachother with cold attacks, which does 0 damage to everyone around them because of MI/CI), then detonate enough of them to kill the majority of the Horadrim Ancients, THEN do hit and run physical attacks to finish the pack.  It sounds really risky, since you have to cheese the mages with Wake of Fire, then plant Death Sentries in the hopes that their AoE and physical damage are high enough to handle the poison and resurrection sources.  With how late in the segment this is occurring, this sounds really risky.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
mind blast pushes right? she could push the remainders outside or far enough
Quote from Siyko:
AFAICT, this build has three main sources of damage: lightning, fire, and physical. That should suffice assuming the physical damage can compare. Death sentry's corpse explosions are 50% physical I believe.

Then again, I don't know the assassin very well at all.

My biggest concern is hell ancients (big surprise). Madawac has 50 FR, 70 CR, and 100 LR - and there won't be any corpse to a-splode.

There's always a way around that one last pesky immune that you can't do anything about.  Shadow Master, Merc (crushing blow possbily, or a3 cold), prevent heal, open wounds.

Quote from Zurreco:
I would assume that Shadow Warrior + Assassin + lots of mana potions would be able to handle any non-FR Ancients, and then full physical with CoS will be able to cheese the remainder.

My problem with Achmel is that he and his Horadrim Ancients are Magic Immune.  That means that you will have to hope that you can kill the skeleton minions (can't use Holy Freeze and Mind Blast will make them attack eachother with cold attacks, which does 0 damage to everyone around them because of MI/CI), then detonate enough of them to kill the majority of the Horadrim Ancients, THEN do hit and run physical attacks to finish the pack.  It sounds really risky, since you have to cheese the mages with Wake of Fire, then plant Death Sentries in the hopes that their AoE and physical damage are high enough to handle the poison and resurrection sources.  With how late in the segment this is occurring, this sounds really risky.

Magic immune doesn't mean what you think it means.  Magic immune iirc is for spells like bone spear.  Hell baal minions will be much easier than you think.  The corpses will be laid exactly underneath the next wave of enemies, resulting in a chaos of fire+physical damage to the next wave with well timed death sentries.  If they aren't well timed, then it will just be done again..

-----------------------------------------------------

So I have rolled like 50 or so maps so far and have accidentally tossed a near-perfect one that resulted in quick shrine + bishibosh + unique yeti's + close rakinishu/wp/shrine/underground.  I can't believe I tossed it...... Sad
Edit history:
Shadotwist: 2009-07-26 07:27:36 pm
Okay, the beginning is only going to be a difference of a quarter of a minute or so anyway, and I rolled a decent enough map, not near as nice as the one I got rid of, but still decent locations for most things.  I'm just gonna start the run with this baby.  I'll try to get a WIP up on youtube tonight.

**(scratch this post...i think im a perfectionist)**
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't baal get rid of all the corpses near him before he summons the next group of minions?
I think that might be the 8 hammer pallies that are in every single baal run ever that get rid of the corpses..

correct me if im wrong.
I used to be athiest until I realized I was God.
Baal removes the corpses between waves.

Shadow is right about Magic Immune, it's only immune to the school of "magic damage" (which is not fire/ice/lit)