--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DevilMayCry4

'monban's Devil Hunter (normal) difficulty run

Verifier Responses

If the first response seems disjointed, it's because I mashed up 3 or 4 sessions together.

Quote:
Verifier: finally downloaded the dmc4 run
Verifier: well, up to mission 12
Verifier: fucking hell, watching this makes me miss dmc4 D:
Verifier: very clever, interupting dante's helm breaker with a simple slash
Verifier: 327 proud souls in mission 1
Verifier: let's see his mission 2
Verifier: very nice at 2:11
Verifier: splash damage from that slam thing meant he didnt need 2 slams to finish the last one
Verifier: very slight gain, but clever
Verifier: is this zeno, btw?
Verifier: one mistake at 3:41 from the camera, but it's nothing to sweat about
Verifier: oh shit
Verifier: swapping speed for streak 2 and split?!
Verifier: this is zeno, isn't it?
Verifier: berial fight is 34.3 seconds
Verifier: i gotta check my fight to make sure
Verifier: you only swap speed for something else is you can save 5+ seconds or so, from the lack of speed to run for the exit
Verifier: if that made sense >__>
Verifier: i added up the proud sould
Verifier: souls
Verifier: they check out, everything's fine
Verifier: it was annoying to calculate because he skips the end mission grade thing most of the time
Verifier: but it's cool
Verifier: and speaking of the run
Verifier: holy fuck, this is the kind of hard work that gives me a huge stiffy
Verifier: this guy's done his reasearch
Verifier: there were little mistakes here and there but only 1-2 seconds
Verifier: mission 10 was a shocker
Verifier: it was bad luck. i dont think even the runner was expecting that to happen
Verifier: instead of shooting, dante starts swinging and cost him 3 seconds
Verifier: planning is tight ass
Verifier: execution is great
Verifier: pulling off the short cuts with no sweat
Verifier: the first fight in mission 12 was wierd though
Verifier: the mega scarecrows are easier to get the double hit from behind
Verifier: their asses have bigger hit boxes or something that makes them easier to JC or double hit (from DT/un DT)
Verifier: the first mega scarecrow he does it from behind and kills it in one move
Verifier: but doesn't for the other 2 and has to chase them down
Verifier: the segment literally just started, i dont know why he didn't restart
Verifier: that was the only major gripe i had
Verifier: but fucking hell, is the run solid
Verifier: ok, finally got the rest of the dmc4 run
Verifier: got a bit reckless in m13 against echidna and took 2 couple of unnecessary hits
Verifier: it looks bad but none of them lost him any time
Verifier: went down surprisingly quick
Verifier: i thought that would have been a nightmare in a new game run
Verifier: but he accumulated a lot more proud sould than i was expecting
Verifier: so dante we well equipped
Verifier: able to afford level 3 trickster is no joke
Verifier: mission 15, 3:50
Verifier: nice planning
Verifier: barely built enough meter for DTing afterwards to activate Speed faster
Verifier: holy fuck m15 is solid
Verifier: he was a bit off in a couple of the fights, but everything else is spot on
Verifier: like when he forgot to hold down melee to cancel stinger into million slash
Verifier: so the scarecrow got knocked away and he had to chase it
Verifier: at this rate, Nero is gonna steam roll everything in the last missions with all the proud souls getting racked up
Verifier: veeeeeeeeery nice on using the just charges
Verifier: i didnt think anyone would actually use them in a speed run
Verifier: 16 was ace
Verifier: mission 16
Verifier: embarassing hit taken in mission 17
Verifier: again it didnt lose him time, he was waiting for the gold knight to do the fireball attack
Verifier: all these hits only lose him proud souls
Verifier: but he doesn't need the extras anyway, by the looks of it
Verifier: then again
Verifier: could he have afforded level 3 trickster for mission 17 if not for said hits?
Verifier: ...
Verifier: scratch that
Verifier: boss fight was wierd at the end
Verifier: could he not have just finished him with another R1+back+circle instead of R1+forward+triangle?
Verifier: it's not like he was going anywhere
Verifier: good shit in mission 18
Verifier: using pandora for the crystals instead of shotgunning them
Verifier: LOL
Verifier: using gunslinger+circle and pandora for the head crystal
Verifier: m18 is fucking gold
Verifier: GREAT berial fight in m19
Verifier: he knew aobut the infinite maximum bets
Verifier: you can do them forever after DT runs out
Verifier: just barely have enough DT do start them
Verifier: tight ass as hell
Verifier: how's he stopping the dice from bouncing around so much?
Verifier: stand in the way on purpose?
Verifier: damn. he managed to stop agnus's spinning blade attack
Verifier: right before he through it
Verifier: m20 was great
Verifier: needed 2 devil stars to beat old man in 2 phases
Verifier: im gonna watch it again and check the red orbs and proud souls
Verifier: the run itself is accept accept accept
Verifier: Alucard would be proud

This is something another verifier had to point out.

Quote:
I'm watching the run and I noticed an irregularity between segments. At the end of part 11 at the level recap screen he has 2015 upgrade points (I honestly forget what they're called) and at the beginning of part 12 when he goes to upgrade he has 14965. His red orb count remains the same at 31146 between segments which makes me believe he sold some upgrades for points and left it out or it cut off. I don't think it would ruin the run but I better tell you anyways.

Does he mention this in the comments, can you read Japanese? 

It turns out when you switch from Nero to Dante (which is Mission 12), the game refunds all of the proud souls you've spent in skills. Also, the first verifier checked the proud soul and red orb count, and this is what he had to say.

Quote:
First verifier: i checked out the red orbs and proud souls
First verifier: they all check out

Quote:
The run is well put together and there is no cheating. Audio is okay but the video is really low quality. I really hope this isn't the final video quality.

Accept.

Quote:
Mission 1 – Nothing all that worthwhile to comment on here.  The only thing I -could- point out is that you could have done a better job manipulating Dante (Or just gotten luckier) through the environment so that your Busters ended up smashing more benches and as such, you end up scoring more Proud Souls at the end to throw around in the next stage.

Mission 2 – I have no real qualms with this segment.

Mission 3 – Nothing fancy – Do like his Solution to the Grim Grip platforming section.

Mission 4 – I can't help but get the feeling the runner should have experimented a little more and possibly referred to the existing SDA run for the Gyroblade Puzzle.  Although Alucard's performance is definitely slower altogether, it's more because he insisted on using a slower way to spin up the Gyroblades (Two melee ground blows as opposed to a single Ex-Aerial Raid swing), he had worse luck with where they ended up after a buster and because he wasn't using Ex-Streaks nearly as often as he should have to move around.  However, his solution to the puzzle (Exploiting the existing placed Gyroblades to save himself a redundant trip back to grab the final Gyroblade after placing the third one in place) would have probably saved a good deal of time.

Audio Problems in Mission Five – Mono Sound and a scraping noise like someone was running a finger over a microphone for the first few seconds before correcting itself.  Otherwise, nothing that much to comment on here.  The only thing that I could nitpick is that you -probably- should have tried exploiting the Critical Hit strategy against the second Mephistos in the Well since you parried him – A Blue Rose Charge Shot even at Level 1 should have been more than enough to keep him staggered as you moved in for the slaughter.

Mission 6 – Streak 2 is a useless upgrade if he only uses Exceed Streaks because it only affects the range of normal ones (And even then, sometimes the upgrade itself is less than ideal such as against the Dante fights due to how the move works).  The distance traveled using Ex-Streaks stay the same regardless of level.  Instead, the Proud Souls would've been better spent on as many Snatch upgrades he could've afforded for Agnus Gladius battle, even probably should've given up Split too if he had to since that didn't see much use either.

Mission 7 – Do like that jump to the Chimeras from the Holy Water.  The bit at the River Bend was also nice.  Why aren't you spamming Blue Rose Summoned Swords while you're impaling Echidna?  Maybe it's the video quality, but I just don't see it happening here.  The only reason that I can think of this happening is because the Runner thought he'd be able to kill her with the Red Rose Rev Spam during the Buster move alone (Which he does in the rematch in M19), but here he didn't and the Sword Spam could have saved him time here.

Mission 8 – Mono Sound problem, left speaker this time for the entire stage.  The stage itself is strong and the Credo fight's very well optimized.

Mission 9 – I feel bad for not having anything worthwhile to say in this stage, so I'll just throw out a “Cool Agnus Fight, Bro!” and leave it at that.

Mission 10 – Why the Hell did you not use Showdown on the first Faust?  It kills them in a single barrage and it takes far less time than using DT and bustering them three or four times.  I also can't understand why you jumped Dante's Stinger at the start of the boss fight.  You could have just as well DT'ed at the start, bustered against the Stinger to grab Dante through it and done the Triple Smash right off the bat saving some time and look like a proper bad-ass for it.

Mission 11 - …. You magnificent bastard.  The only that could really improve this run any is better luck manipulation on the Angelos.

Mission 12 – You know, this is coming really late in the run, but I just wanted to point out a resource you may be interested to check out, given that you've been hitting a good number of Red Orb Formations:  http://phantombabies.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5788  Nero's not too bad off as you have him now (You can either do Exceed Combo A or double your orb return with DT Exceed Combo A), but Dante, you'd have been much better off spamming Prop Shredders to sneak an extra 600 orbs out of the things instead of Stinger Spam.  I know it's a -really- small thing to nitpick, but I thought it was worth mentioning and I had nothing else to comment on during this stage.

Mission 13 – I can't help but think that the runner should really consider investing in a few more DT orbs at this point.  Although it wasn't much of an issue with Nero because of how his DT-Flux works when you trigger it, Dante's DT easily lets him hit Speed in half the time that he could have used to save some time in sections like in the Lost Woods bit here.

Mission 14 –  OK, you got me to cackle a bit at the inspired and -incredibly- efficient way you handled the first fight (from offscreen, even!).  Level 2 Gunslinger's Fireworks or Rain Storm would have sped up the Faust fight at the River Bend and helped you decloak him sooner, especially in conjunction with DT, Air Trick and Air Hike to get right into those guys.  As it's a segmented run, there's no reason not to try it.

Mission 15 – LIKE that Well skip.  The entire Frost battle before that was very clean too.  Though I take very little offense to the Blitz strategy used, remember that in DMC4 damage incurred by gunfire drops off ridiculously the further out of melee range you are, so you should ideally use Air Trick after the Blitz comes out to get right in his face, unload E&I and sky-star to the door once the Blitz starts going into his exploding animation.

Mission 16 – Can't disagree with that Holy Water in the Cutlass room either.  The Agnus boss chamber brawl with the Gradius and Angelo was beautiful too barring that one Gladius he blasted prematurely.  I do have to wonder why he doesn't whore Real Impact more against the Alto Angelos at the two minute mark, but then again that entire battle was a bit sloppy to the point where I would have suggested redoing the mission.  It's just... meh.

Mission 17 – Mono Sound issues in the left speaker.  Can't figure out why you invested in Lucifer's Pin-Up when you never use the weapon at all through the entire stage.  Hell, Level 2 Gunslinger's Rain Storm or Fireworks would be much better suited for this stage, especially since the runner already has Air Trick and Air hike for taking out the Mephistos quickly (And Level 2 Gunslinger's far cheaper than Pin-Up which, again, was never used through this entire stage).

Mission 18 – Takes the only complaint I had back with the SS run's M18 available on SDA (Using the Shotgun over the Pandora to crack the gems) and corrects it.  Just a damn shame that the runner screwed up the first Distorted Real Impact at 2:44.

Random Thought:  I always wondered if you tried to Air Royal Release the hand that sweeps over the forearm that Dante runs up to hit the left shoulder and forehead gems if he'd be able to break the gem instead of having to stop to blast it with Pandora's Box.  I can't be bothered to test it though and it's hardly relevant to the run as it is.

Mission 19 – The only thing that stands out right away is that you have only one real Angelo fight in the first minute and given that this is a segmented run, you don't bother re-trying to ensure you're getting the Energy Orb formation right off the bat to cut eight seconds out.  I didn't comment on this on the other instances where this happened since usually you had to go up against several groups of the guys in a single stage and there's a point where you just have to make do with what the game gives you, but that isn't the case here.  It should've been redone.

Mission 20 – … Niiiiiiiice.

There's still room for improvement as a few missions should have been redone and there should have been some more thought put into Dante's side with regards to Proud-Soul spending, but what is here is for the most part pretty damned sound where combat's involved, the solutions employed from time to time to skip past puzzles and things of the sort is pretty damn clever and the entire run as a whole is a a huge damn improvement over the existing run on SDA.

Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a tight run that would do sternn proud, if he played DMC4.
Thread title:  
I saw this run on YouTube sometime back. I was really impressed. This is a great addition, and I'm glad monban submitted =D